On 4/12/2021 at 10:56 PM, rootboy said:

I'd love to have someone share their Digikey BOM with me

Here is an export of my DigiKey BOM.  Let me know if it does not import.  I can't vouch for the SPI Flash DigiKey suggested as a substitute, but the rest should be good.  F18A BOM.csv

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, J-Data said:

Here is an export of my DigiKey BOM.  Let me know if it does not import.  I can't vouch for the SPI Flash DigiKey suggested as a substitute, but the rest should be good.  F18A BOM.csv

Thank you!

• Like 1

On 2/20/2021 at 12:13 PM, matthew180 said:

The JTAG update using the Xilinx tools was always a PITA

image.thumb.png.8303516f04c96da18e61d5d5a8ccb37a.png

Took some doing, but wasn't as bad as I thought.  I did discover my Xilinx ISE 14.1 was corrupted since the last time I used it. 

By the way, none of the new Xilinx programming module are backwards compatible with ISE and/or this Spartan 3E part (Smartlynq or Platform cable II) so can't be used for this.  The latest Digilent HS3 cable does works, but won't work for the XC95144XC used on the TIPI/Final GROM.  I hear some of the knock-offs of the old Xilinx platform cables on ebay do work, but they certainly won't support with the latest MPSoC FPGAs or Xilinx Vivado. 

I've stopped soldering in the JTAG adapter and instead program the flash using the TL886II+ - This is much faster than using the pesky Xilinx tools.

• Like 2

Wow, it works!   I didn't think I was actually going to pull this off.  Amazingly how good the VGA picture is.  No doubt HDMI will be even better.  Can't wait to play with the demos. 

10 minutes ago, Hans23 said:

I've stopped soldering in the JTAG adapter and instead program the flash using the TL886II+ - This is much faster than using the pesky Xilinx tools.

I have a TL886II+, but not the SOIC-8 adapters.  I had the Xilinx pods handy so, you go with the tools you have in your tool box.

By the way, both my consoles came from the factory with the TMS9918A socketed.  Been in my possession since 1982 so I'm certain about that. 

IMG_0261.thumb.JPG.aff7abad7ff0c8527c7c9ae0e2e319b7.JPG

IMG_0256.thumb.JPG.cb2eb6f657dba8f78dc600281654f926.JPG

• Like 6

Yeah, the 9918A is always socketed on the TI. :) One of the few chips you can count on it.

• Like 2

On 4/16/2021 at 11:21 PM, wierd_w said:

I have recieved my unit, but have not installed it yet.  Been busy. :(

I've got one on order. What a great upgrade.

• Like 1