IGNORED

What have you ACTUALLY played tracker - Modern Edition (2021)

carlsson

I did good I think on total Switch time, but since I split my time between several games, no big numbers for one single game this week.  :)   

Switch:

Animal Crossing: New Horizons -- 843 minutes
Bravely Default 2 -- 1054 minutes
Diablo 3 -- 367 minutes
Fire Emblem: Three Houses -- 1132 minutes

I ended up a little behind (for me) since I had to replace my poor V1 Switch last Monday; I'd had it since 2018.  The short story is that I static-shocked it to death, lol.

Plugging along through Fire Emblem last week though I'm going to set it down in favor of Bravely Default 2.  I went a *spoiler* route and am at Chapter 14, I think. 

Since the untimely demise of my Switch (and not being able to restore my backed up island), I started a new island in Animal Crossing; this really wasn't a big deal to me since I was bored with the previous island.  It's always nice to start over!

I dusted off Diablo 3 'in between' Fire Emblem/Bravely Default 2 and started up a new Monk.  I'm happy to see that it still runs smooth as butter. 

The new game this last week was Bravely Default 2.  I played almost eighteen hours Friday-Sunday and have really enjoyed it so far.   It's a turn-based JRPG to its core and by that virtue super super grindy- if you don't enjoy that in a game, it's not for you.  ;)  The dialogue is predictably cringey and the English voice acting even more so, woof.  That being said, the graphics and lush soundtrack more than make up for that. 

A feature I found pretty neat is that once you're a bit in the game you can set off on a borrowed boat and 'explore' if you're not actively playing the game.  Through some trial and error, though, I learned that to fully use this feature you have to 'Start Exploring', actually be IN the game, and have your Switch in Sleep Mode.  If you meet all three of these criteria a time counter will increment and you get 'treasures' while your Switch is asleep. 

• Like 4

PC

RimWorld (2659 min)

Oculus Quest

Beat Saber (91 min)

I hurt my back last week (thus the low BS time), but that did give me a bit more time off to play RimWorld. The colony I was working on went very, very wrong in a mechanoid attack. It wasn't completely annihilated, so I may go back to it if I'm looking for a real challenge, but it was pretty demoralizing, and I really wanted to install a bunch of QoL and extras mods for a new game. I tried a different AI storyteller, and it seems to be quite a bit easier, though I have also learned a lot from past mistakes. One of the colonists rides around on a giant constrictor snake named Bo, so that's cool.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Agamon said:

I tried a different AI storyteller, and it seems to be quite a bit easier

I have never played RimWorld, but from your description, I thought I understood what type of game it was - until you mentioned this.  AI Storyteller?

Also - I have no modern time to report this week.

• Like 3

Week 08

Top games

1. Divinity: Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition (PC) - 2820 min. (#3)
2. RimWorld (PC) - 2659 min. (#1)
3. Kangokutou Mary Skelter 2 (Mary Skelter: Nightmares) (PS4) - 1246 min. (#4)
4. Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Switch) - 1132 min. (#2)
5. Bravely Default 2 (Switch) - 1054 min.
6. Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Switch) - 843 min. (#10)
7. Microsoft Mahjong (iOS) - 806 min.
8. PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (Xbox One) - 644 min. (#6)
9. Forge of Empires (Browser based) - 464 min. (#5)
10. Diablo III: Eternal Collection (Switch) - 367 min.

Top systems

1. PC - 5479 min. (#1)
2. Switch - 3513 min. (#2)
3. PS4 - 1246 min. (#3)
4. iOS - 849 min. (#6)
5. Xbox One - 763 min. (#5)
6. Browser based - 464 min. (#4)
7. Oculus Quest - 91 min. (#7)

Total 12405 minutes and 14 different games on 7 different systems.

Last week the margin between the top two was 1929 minutes, this week it is down to 161 minutes as Divinity: Original Sin Definitive Edition sneaks past RimWorld, both on the PC platform which is #1 on the systems list, just like last week shadowed by the Switch and PS4.

In terms of all-time stats, the modern tracker breaks 1,000,000 minutes (total 1009451). In the stats for week 50, we exceeded 900,000 minutes and I estimated that the million would be reached sometime in February - March 2021. I guess I was right on the spot, though it wasn't a very hard guess to make.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, wongojack said:

I have never played RimWorld, but from your description, I thought I understood what type of game it was - until you mentioned this.  AI Storyteller?

Ah, yeah, that's what the game calls it. Fundamentally, it's a resource management sim with some survival and  tactical team combat. But at the beginning of the game, you choose the AI that determines the events that happen in the game, which, along with the decisions you make, creates a "story". In fact, the creator has said that the goal of the game isn't to beat it, because it will likely beat you, but to see what happens along the way.

• Like 3

For some reason I decided to play a few really terrible GBA games this week. They were so bad that I wasn't able to force myself to play them for very long, though.

GBA
Comix Zone - 3
Medal of Honor Underground - 2
Sonic Advance 2 - 10
Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis - 20

PS4
Kangokutou Mary Skelter 2 - 793

The only not-garbage modern game that I played this week. Almost finished with it, and it looks like I might beat my previous save file's time again. We'll see.

• Like 2

Here are my times for this past week (March 1th through 7th)...

Browser based:

Forge of Empires - 618 minutes in 15 sessions

For another week, Forge of Empires was the only game I played. I actually tried to shorten the sessions, but didn't succeed in doing so... the average session length should be less than 14 minutes, but was actually 41 minutes. There was only 1 session actually shorter than 14 minutes, and the total time was actually more than last week. Gameplay wise, there's not much new... I optimized the decorations in my city so that the people are happier and produce more goods. I also tried to take the time for various actions to find out how long they take to perform. The longest one is putting orders onto the market where I can exchange my excess goods for different ones which are needed.

Edited by Kurt_Woloch
  • Like 1

PC:
Elvis [Sydkraft/E-Game 2000] - 9 min.

This is a small (300K) competition game apparently released in the spring of 2000, from a power company where you could compete in a game about closing the light after people and answer quiz questions. The game has some nice MIDI jazz music, somewhat unusual gameplay (but rather annoying to control). Also I believe it was designed for Windows 98/2000 in a time where people ran 800x600 or 1024x768, meaning that the graphics on my Windows 7 screen with higher resolution become very small. Since it was dated past year 2000, I decided to list it here instead of the classic tracker even if it might be playable on Windows 98.

Well, I played some Freecell, Spider Solitaire etc as well but I tend to forget to log those times.

• Like 1

Since my planned 2600 stream didn't work out, I played a modern game instead since it was less of a headache to set up.  (And then I kept hitting the wrong buttons on the controller because I had really only planned on using ONE button that day... lol)

PS3

Resistance Fall of Man - 220 min  (Pretty decent game so far, but I'm not terrible good at or a fan of first person shooters.  I was interested in this one because of the alternate history WWII-ish setting.  I feel like I got a decent ways into it, but I have no idea how long the game is.)

• Like 2

Wii

Dr. Mario 84

I did some expanding recently by picking up 4 new TVs this month.  I know . . . crazy.  Anyway, I've been trying to decide which of all my TVs to keep and which to get rid of, so that means doing some testing with various systems and cables etc.  This time was logged on the Wii after I hooked it up to a 32" CRT TV with some after market component cables.  Note that this actually a Wiiware version of the game made specifically for the Wii.  I purchased this at the height of Wii popularity and for a while I would play online against human opponents.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, StormSurge said:

The Little Acre: 14 minutes (finished!)

Now I'm about to show my lack of awareness when it comes to modern games. Without looking it up, I almost assumed this would some type of farming simulator with near infinite play time, while I understand it is an adventure that can be finished within 2 hours of effective playing.

• Like 1

PC

RimWorld (2719 min)

Terraforming Mars (183 min)

Oculus Quest

Beat Saber (280 min)

RW still has its tendrils in my brain. I'm waiting for the shoe to drop and want top play something else, because while all of my siblings have some level of ADHD, for me, I just get bored of things rather quickly (with a few notable exceptions, right, Beat Saber?). But for now, I go to sleep and wake up and thinking about how to improve my base or deal with annoying colonists.

Played a game of Terraforming Mars Sunday morning, and came in 2nd to my brother.  The back is feeling better, so working some BS back into the day.

Edited by Agamon
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, carlsson said:

Now I'm about to show my lack of awareness when it comes to modern games. Without looking it up, I almost assumed this would some type of farming simulator with near infinite play time, while I understand it is an adventure that can be finished within 2 hours of effective playing.

? You are correct! It never would have came on my radar if not for GamePass. Fun,  cute game that, as you mentioned, can be completed fairly quickly. 

Week 09

Top games

1. Divinity: Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition (PC) - 2904 min. (#1)
2. RimWorld (PC) - 2719 min. (#2)
3. Kangokutou Mary Skelter 2 (Mary Skelter: Nightmares) (PS4) - 793 min. (#3)
4. Forge of Empires (Browser based) - 618 min. (#9)
5. PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (Xbox One) - 503 min. (#8)
6. Pop! Blitz (iOS) - 301 min.
7. Beat Saber (Oculus Quest) - 280 min.
8. Microsoft Mahjong (iOS) - 220 min. (#7)
8. Resistance: Fall of Man (PS3) - 220 min.
10. Terraforming Mars (PC) - 183 min.

Top systems

1. PC - 5815 min. (#1)
2. PS4 - 793 min. (#3)
3. Browser based - 618 min. (#6)
4. iOS - 521 min. (#4)
5. Xbox One - 517 min. (#5)
6. Oculus Quest - 280 min. (#7)
7. PS3 - 220 min.
8. DS - 105 min.
9. Wii - 84 min.
10. GBA - 35 min.
11. Switch - 17 min. (#2)

Total 9005 minutes and 19 different games on 11 different systems.

The top two games, Divinity: OS2DE and RimWorld are neck to neck, just over three hours apart. Then comes nothing, then comes nothing, then comes the rest. The same could be said about the systems, where the PC dominates with 64.5% of the total minutes. For once we have more than 10 systems of which the Switch actually is the one that would be outside the top list.

In case anyone was late to post their times, you can do so below and I'll include those next week.

• Like 1

Nothing particularly exciting happened this week.

Switch
Urban Flow - 3

This was like $2 or something like that on the eshop and I had a few coins, so I bought it and barely played it since I kind of forgot about it since I haven't used my Switch very much at all recently.

PS4
Kangokutou Mary Skelter 2 - 913
Finished the remake of 1 and beat my old time by 8 hours and 21 minutes. Now onto Finale...
Kangokutou Mary Skelter Finale - 1760

Just like with 2, I forgot how damn good the battle music is in this game... all 11 tracks, and 7 of them are just for regular battles, which is kind of ridiculous, now that I think about it, but I'm not complaining; there's a reason that I bought the limited edition of this game, and part of that reason was that it has the complete soundtrack for the entire series. Aside from the music, I really missed this game's mechanics when playing 2 and especially the remake of 1. Also, they finally announced a localization for this game. It already looks like the quality of the translation is not going to be good. I'll see how good the localization is when it gets released, but I think after I try the localized version once, I'll go back to the Japanese version instead.

• Like 2

Here are my times for this past week (March 8th through 14th, 2021) on classic systems:

Browser based:

Forge of Empires - 299 minutes in 14 sessions

This week I continued to play Forge of Empires. Actually nothing special happened there other than I managed to somewhat cut down on the sessions and the time they take... this week I'm down from 10 to 5 hours of playing this game, and multiple sessions were shorter than my cut-off time of 14 minutes though the average was still over 20 minutes.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Switch
Urban Flow - 3

This was like $2 or something like that on the eshop and I had a few coins, so I bought it and barely played it since I kind of forgot about it since I haven't used my Switch very much at all recently.

I picked this one up at a deep discount and... yeah, it didn’t hold my interest either. Nice aesthetic, not very compelling loop to me. It reminded me of ArtStyle Digidrive and Burnout Crash! but without the addictiveness. It seems like a good game, I just may have been in the wrong mood for it the times I’ve played it.