IGNORED

What have you ACTUALLY played tracker - Modern Edition (2021)

carlsson

I didn't play a lot of stuff this time for some reason, but I finished Blaster Master Zero and started its sequel, which is considerably more difficult. The complete lack of difficulty was my main complaint with Blaster Master Zero, but its sequel has killed me quite a few times already, which is good.

PS4
Kangokutou Mary Skelter 2 - 614

I finished the game and played the remake for 10 minutes, remembered how much I don't really like the remake, and skipped it. On to Finale~ feels really weird to go directly to Finale while skipping the remake, though, so I might go back and play it anyway.
Kangokutou Mary Skelter Finale - 412
Love Live! School Idol Festival ~after school ACTIVITY~ Wai-Wai!Home Meeting!! - 198 (estimate)

PC
AM2R - 42

One of two Metroid 2 remakes. The illegal one. The significantly better one. Apparently AM2R is now in widescreen. It wasn't like that last time and it doesn't seem to be completely implemented properly, as sometimes room transitions happen before Samus goes into the next room, but it still looks great.
Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds Saga - 309
Summer Pockets REFLECTION BLUE - 92

This game has amazingly good dialog choices so far. I have heard that the quality of the game drops significantly later. I suppose I will find out eventually.

Switch
Blaster Master Zero - 101
Blaster Master Zero 2 - 133
Picross S Genesis & Master System Edition (demo) - 6

• Like 5

Here are my times for this past week (August 2nd through 8th, 2021) on classic systems...

Arcade:

Jr. Pac-Man - 166 min. in 8 sessions

Jungle King - 5 min.

Ms. Pac-Man - 7 min.

Pooyan - 11 min.

TI-99/4A:

Q*bert - 15 min.

This week I played considerably less than last week, most of all concerning Jr. Pac-Man. New in the bunch are Ms. Pac-Man and Pooyan. I didn't get particularly far in either of them though.

This time some of my times are rough estimates because my old PC broke down on Friday morning, so I quickly installed a new one I had already prepared to replace the old one. This didn't come without a warning though, and the old PC still ran Windows XP... the new one now runs Windows 10. I still had to tweak MAME proberly to run smoothly on the new PC... at its default setting, there were strange artifacts on screen and also Slowdowns. I basicallay switched the graphics mode to GDI now, which does the trick although the screen looks more blocky now in this way. I played Ms. Pac-Man immediately after Jr. Pac-Man, and it's obvious that Jr. is faster than Ms. The times are rough estimates because the usual logging didn't take place or was lost from Thursday evening to Friday evening, so I don't have the exact play times for this period, but I didn't play much there anyway being busy with the PC replacement. I did play a bit though in order to try how things run on the new PC.

• Like 5

I love Joust and I love Tron, but Pooyan might just beat both out as my favorite arcade games.

Almost RPGs on the modern side this week, as I had to keep myself up very late without falling asleep and without being able to stay focused.

GBA:

Castlevania Aria of Sorrow - Alucard Remix - 30 minutes. It feels like difficulty is through the roof. Was Aria always this hard? Am I getting soft?

DS:

Legacy of Ys: Books I & II - 120 minutes of running around and not just running into enemies, which feels really weird. It is nice to be able to take out baddies en passant, though. I don’t know how I played this without a second-screen map, though. The layout is pretty huge and confusing.

3DS:

Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux - 45 minutes. Most of which consisted of just story and cutscenes, since I’m just starting the game. I have never seriously played an SMT game before and I felt it was time.

• Like 4

PC

Magic: the Gathering Arena (672 min)

RimWorld (448 min)

Oculus Quest

Beat Saber (284 min)

Did more movie watching than gaming this week, but kept going on Magic, doing some drafts and free play, and my RW colony continues. Had a cold snap in the first winter. Had to micromanage to keep the frostbite down in the nudist colony, lol.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Another small and fairly uneventful week around here this week. I left much just continued my playthrough of Doom 3 on the Switch, played a little assortment of arcade games on the MVSX here and there, and pulled out my Super Mario Bros. Game & Watch to pass a short bit of time kicked back in bed. Not the most exciting week ever, but still a fun one :)

Ineligible
Donkey Kong (Arcade) - 10 minutes
Ms. Pac-Man (Arcade) - 8 minutes

Samurai Shodown II (Neo Geo AES/MVS) - 21 minutes
Space Invaders DX (Arcade) - 11 minutes
Street Fighter Alpha 3 (Arcade) - 14 minutes

Super Mario Bros. (NES) - 12 minutes
Vampire Savior (Arcade) - 22 minutes

Nintendo Switch
Doom 3 - 695 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week
793 minutes (13 hours 13 minutes) [695 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week
Nintendo Switch: 695 minutes
Arcade: 65 minutes
Neo Geo AES/MVS: 21 minutes
NES: 12 minutes

• Like 3

The average for 2021 is 8984 min. This week we're currently up to 7907 min. The last six weeks though the average was 11031 min, so if anything the summer/vacation season brought up the numbers quite a bit and maybe we're cooling down to regular levels again once Real Life restarts.

Full stats tonight (about 10 hours from now) in case someone is late to post.

• Like 4

Week 31

Top games

1. Mario Golf: Super Rush (Switch) - 1160 min.
2. Doom 3 (Switch) - 695 min. (#9)
3. MLB The Show 21 (Xbox Series X) - 688 min. (#7)
4. Magic the Gathering Arena (PC) - 672 min. (#2)
5. Borderlands 3 (Xbox Series X) - 660 min. (#3)
6. Kangokutou Mary Skelter 2 (Mary Skelter: Nightmares) (PS4) - 614 min. (#4)
7. RimWorld (PC) - 448 min. (#1)
8. Kangokutou Mary Skelter Finale (PS4) - 412 min.
9. Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds Saga (PC) - 309 min. (#9)
10. Beat Saber (Oculus Quest) - 284 min. (#6)

Top systems

1. Switch - 2530 min. (#3)
2. PC - 1633 min. (#1)
3. Xbox Series X - 1348 min. (#2)
4. PS4 - 1224 min. (#4)
5. Xbox One - 643 min. (#6)
6. Oculus Quest - 284 min. (#5)
7. DS - 120 min. (#7)
8. 3DS - 75 min.
9. GBA - 30 min.
10. iOS - 20 min. (#10)

Total 7907 minutes and 31 different games on 10 different systems, with 8 different participants.

Neither of the top four games last week can match Mario Golf: Super Rush which with a margin of almost 8 hours becomes the most played, while the following four games only are a total of 35 minutes apart. With eight games recorded, the Switch also becomes the most played, ahead of PC (6 games).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Yay, low-budget RPG time. One of them is way better than the other and the better one is not the one I played the most this time.

PS4

Blue Reflection - 760

Gust's extremely mediocre magical girl RPG. I've had the US version this game for several years, but it showed up in the mail only days before I moved, so I never really played it much because I was far too busy moving to play it. The US version is one of the rarest US PS4 games, apparently. Unfortunately, this game is what you get when you put all of your budget into art assets and nothing else, as the game is horribly empty, ridiculously easy on the highest difficulty setting, has laughably terrible animation, and has an unbelievably unstable framerate that frequently makes the original Star Fox look smooth even when there's absolutely nothing going on on screen at all (why?!?). Still, Lawson is in this game, which made me laugh when I saw it

249421617_BLUEREFLECTION_20210813152547.thumb.png.6a39556b16664e3910f8e4debc5e5e13.png

Yes, Japanese version. This actually has something unique to this specific release: you can share your save file between the Japan-exclusive Vita version (which is coming in the mail in a few days) and the Japanese PS4 version. I've been quite curious about the Vita version for years, as I've heard it's terrible. Apparently the PC version also runs terribly. I always thought this game could use a sequel to fix a lot of its flaws and apparently Gust did as well because they are making one. It seems more polished... maybe. I'll see in a few months when I get my copies.

Speaking of the Vita version, I have no idea how I will track sharing the same save file between PS4 and Vita. I will likely just take my save file's time at the end of the week and do something like 50% PS4 + 50% Vita or 66% PS4 + 33% Vita or something like that as an estimate of how long I played the game on each system and call it good because I'm too lazy to time each one separately but also use the timer on the game's save file and subtract Vita time from that or something, as that would be quite annoying.

Kangokutou Mary Skelter Finale - 455

PC
Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds Saga -  484

Summer Pockets REFLECTION BLUE -  66

Switch
Blaster Master Zero 2 - 39

Gamecube
Super Mario Sunshine - 18 (estimate)

I apparently forgot to record my time and reset my timer before entering it. I think it was somewhere between 13 and 23 minutes, so I will use the median of those, which is 18. Yay, elementary school math is occasionally useful in real life after all!

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 4

Just a handful of games this week.  I spent some time replaying Hades on the XBox (I own it for Switch) since it was on GamePass. :)

Switch:

Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 -- 60 minutes

Mario Golf: Super Rush -- 810 minutes

Stardew Valley -- 510 minutes

XBox Series X:

Borderlands 3 -- 240 minutes

Hades -- 1800 minutes

• Like 3

PC

Magic: the Gatheing Arena (444 min)

Rimworld (660 min)

Oculus Quest

Beat Saber (301 min)

Will I ever play something different? History says yes, brain currently says no, not in the foreseeable future, lol.

The RW colony is about to get overly unwieldy. I may have expanded too quickly and now I'm going into winter with not much food stockpiled. Crossing my fingers things work out...

Still playing at least a bit of MTGA every day. I'm gold tier 2 ranked in Limited (draft) competition, but I can barely win a game in Ranked (free play, I do well, but going into Ranked is scary), which is a great example of skill vs $$$. Still having fun though.

I was finally able to update Beat Saber and keep my mods and custom songs. The Oculus BS mod needed reworking and it didn't update in February, so I didn't update BS either. Six months later, I can finally update, use the new UI, get the new free songs, as well as the new DLC. So that was cool.

• Like 5

A much more eventful week for gaming around here this week! To start off the week I wrapped up my playthrough of Doom 3 on the Switch, then went back and revisited a handful of 16-bit era games. First I did a quick playthrough of Mortal Kombat II on the 32X, which is definitely my favorite (and I'd argue the best) home console port of MK II. After that the misses joined me to play some Castlevania: Bloodlines on the Genesis, trading off the controller between levels. We didn't manage to beat it, but we did get to the last level which isn't too bad considering we're both out of practice :lol:

Next up I spent some time playing Contra III for the SNES, and while I didn't make it very far into the game it was still a lot of fun to play. Having not done terribly well at Castlevania or Contra, I decided to revisit my all time favorite SNES game Star Fox! I really know this game like the back of my paw and had no problem beating it without using any continues, which was really satisfying after bombing out at the previous two games.

Finally, to cap off the week I started yet another playthrough of my all time favorite game Alien: Isolation. It's one of those games that no matter how many times I beat it I'm always happy to come back and spend some more time in it's world, and this time around I dropped the difficulty down from the Nightmare setting I played it on last time to Hard for a more leisurely experience and decided to go for 100% completion and find all the collectibles this time around; which is something I've never done before. So far, so fun! :D

Ineligible

Castlevania: Bloodlines (Sega Genesis) - 150 minutes

Contra III: The Alien Wars (Super Nintendo) - 147 minutes

Mortal Kombat II (Sega 32X) - 25 minutes

Ms. Pac-Man (Arcade) - 8 minutes
Star Fox (Super Nintendo) - 65 minutes

Nintendo Switch
Alien: Isolation  - 610 minutes
Doom 3  - 205 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week
1,210 minutes (20 hours 10 minutes) [815 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week
Nintendo Switch: 815 minutes
Super Nintendo: 212 minutes
Sega Genesis: 150 minutes
Sega 32X: 25 minutes
Arcade: 8 minutes

Edited by Skippy B. Coyote
  • Like 4

Week 32

Top games

1. Hades (Xbox Series X) - 1800 min.
2. MLB The Show 21 (Xbox Series X) - 1566 min. (#3)
3. Mario Golf: Super Rush (Switch) - 810 min. (#1)
4. Blue Reflection (PS4) - 760 min.
5. RimWorld (PC) - 660 min. (#7)
6. Alien: Isolation (Switch) - 610 min.
7. Stardew Valley (Switch) - 510 min.
8. Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds Saga (PC) - 484 min. (#9)
9. Kangokutou Mary Skelter Finale (PS4) - 455 min. (#8)
10. Magic the Gathering Arena (PC) - 444 min. (#4)

Top systems

1. Xbox Series X - 3606 min. (#3)
2. Switch - 2234 min. (#1)
3. PC - 2169 min. (#2)
4. PS4 - 1215 min. (#4)
5. Xbox One - 415 min. (#5)
6. Oculus Quest - 301 min. (#6)
7. 3DS - 75 min. (#8)
8. Gamecube - 18 min.
9. iOS - 14 min. (#10)

Total 10047 minutes and 26 different games on 9 different systems, with 7 different participants.

The rogue-like dungeon crawler Hades supposedly was released for the Series X on Friday the 13th, and within three days it was played enough to become the most played game this week. Speaking of the Series X, it really starts to make a presence in this tracker but since this is the modern tracker, that is perfectly expected.

No major milestones passed this week, but Beat Saber on the Oculus Quest lands at a pretty 33333 minutes which equals fourth place in the all-time list, though MLB The Show 21 is dangerously close behind, only 86 hours until it catches up. Also note that out of the current top 8 games, with at least 20K minutes each, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (Xbox One) this year has received 0 minutes.

1. PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (Xbox One) - 93554 min.

2. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (Xbox One) - 46521 min.

3. Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Switch) - 39293 min.

4. Beat Saber (Oculus Quest) - 33333 min.

5. MLB The Show 21 (Xbox Series X) - 28165 min.

6. RimWorld (PC) - 27779 min.

7. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch) - 24828 min.

8. Borderlands 3 (Xbox One) - 22077 min.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, carlsson said:

Week 32

Top games

1. Hades (Xbox Series X) - 1800 min.
2. MLB The Show 21 (Xbox Series X) - 1566 min. (#3)
3. Mario Golf: Super Rush (Switch) - 810 min. (#1)
4. Blue Reflection (PS4) - 760 min.
5. RimWorld (PC) - 660 min. (#7)
6. Alien: Isolation (Switch) - 610 min.
7. Stardew Valley (Switch) - 510 min.
8. Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds Saga (PC) - 484 min. (#9)
9. Kangokutou Mary Skelter Finale (PS4) - 455 min. (#8)
10. Magic the Gathering Arena (PC) - 444 min. (#4)

Top systems

1. Xbox Series X - 3606 min. (#3)
2. Switch - 2234 min. (#1)
3. PC - 2169 min. (#2)
4. PS4 - 1215 min. (#4)
5. Xbox One - 415 min. (#5)
6. Oculus Quest - 301 min. (#6)
7. 3DS - 75 min. (#8)
8. Gamecube - 18 min.
9. iOS - 14 min. (#10)

Total 10047 minutes and 26 different games on 9 different systems, with 7 different participants.

The rogue-like dungeon crawler Hades supposedly was released for the Series X on Friday the 13th, and within three days it was played enough to become the most played game this week. Speaking of the Series X, it really starts to make a presence in this tracker but since this is the modern tracker, that is perfectly expected.

No major milestones passed this week, but Beat Saber on the Oculus Quest lands at a pretty 33333 minutes which equals fourth place in the all-time list, though MLB The Show 21 is dangerously close behind, only 86 hours until it catches up. Also note that out of the current top 8 games, with at least 20K minutes each, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (Xbox One) this year has received 0 minutes.

1. PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (Xbox One) - 93554 min.

2. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (Xbox One) - 46521 min.

3. Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Switch) - 39293 min.

4. Beat Saber (Oculus Quest) - 33333 min.

5. MLB The Show 21 (Xbox Series X) - 28165 min.

6. RimWorld (PC) - 27779 min.

7. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch) - 24828 min.

8. Borderlands 3 (Xbox One) - 22077 min.

Thanks as always!

On Hades, I had the benefit of a weekend where we weren't doing our biweekly curbside grocery pickup and I just don't sleep very well (or very much).  :)

• Like 2

I'll be the first to start off the next week's totals by saying

Pokemon Ultra Moon for 3DS - 65 minutes

I have finished the game today by doing the bare minimum - beating the Pokemon League and watching the credits roll. I probably won't return to the Gen 7 Pokemon games until I finish a file of each of the older ones. Then I'll do a big cross-generation collect-a-thon to find whatever I missed.

• Like 3

On 8/17/2021 at 3:15 PM, digdugnate said:

Thanks as always!

On Hades, I had the benefit of a weekend where we weren't doing our biweekly curbside grocery pickup and I just don't sleep very well (or very much).  :)

Regarding Hades - I heard so much about this game in the past 2 years or so.  10/10 GOTY type stuff.  I think it was actually at the top of many "Best of" lists for 2020.  Higher than darlings like TLOU II, Flight Simulator, Animal Crossing, and Half-Life: Alyx.  Anyway, someone bought me the PC version last month on Steam.  You may have noticed I was playing Bastion which is by the same company (Supergiant games).  I wanted to run through Bastion before trying Hades.

ANYWAY - Hades is fine.  If I had played it without any of the hype around it, I would have thought that it was a perfectly fine game for $20 - $25.  However, with all the coverage, I am not really impressed.  In fact, there's nothing really "impressive" at all about this game.  It fits right in where it should with other lower-scope titles (avoiding the term "indie" here because that doesn't really fit Supergiant) and does nothing to push any new boundaries that I can tell.  It comes complete with average voice acting and a very bland script that make me want to skip almost all the dialog.  The art style also does nothing for me and seems anachronistic with the Greek mythology theme in a way that I don't think really works at all.  If this was someone's GOTY then why not Lonely Mountains Downhill, Two Point Hospital, or Xeno Crisis - next year Circus Convoy?

All that being said, it is fun.  About as fun as Lonely Mountains Downhill, Two Point Hospital, or Xeno Crisis . . .

ALSO - sorry to hear you aren't sleeping well.  It seems to be more and more prevalent.  I hope you have a more restful weekend coming soon.

• Like 1