IGNORED

What have you ACTUALLY played tracker - Modern Edition (2021)

carlsson

2 minutes ago, carlsson said:

We'll keep it as one format for the time being then. Perhaps it is like popping in a better graphics card in a PC, you can play the same games but at higher resolution.

Maybe more like playing an app on Galaxy 8 vs a Galaxy 21, but yeah. So just report it as Quest, kinda like reporting Android games as Android?

I know there are games that are Q2 only, but they're pretty rare, and it might take someone else joining in to affect the list, as you can see, my VR variety is, um, lacking. lol

Yeah, please report it as Oculus Quest since we concluded the actual game pretty much is the same game. I suppose it is a matter of splitting hairs if e.g. the same Xbox games both run on One and Series S/X but have better specs on the later. Over at the classic tracker, we tend to divide cartridge and CD based games (i.e. TG-16 vs TG-CD, Jaguar vs Jaguar CD) and sometimes graphics chip (i.e. Amiga OCS vs AGA, MSX1 vs MSX2) but in those cases the games usually require said media or hardware upgrade to play so cross compatibility isn't as great as it probably is today.

(Yes, there are a handful MSX games that display MSX2 graphics on a such computer but degrade to MSX1 on older hardware, but even those are rare within its context)

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

Some interesting stuff showed up this week. The most important one is of course Star Trek Bridge Commander.

PS4

Kangokutou Mary Skelter Finale - 509

Yeah, I was planning on finishing this game, but I got a game over within minutes of the final boss and then Sonic Colors: Ultimate showed up, so that sort of never happened. International release in 2 weeks... the screenshots of the English script look so unbelievably terrible that I honestly don't even want to play the English version even though I bought it and paid for it already.
Love Live! School Idol Festival ~after school ACTIVITY~ Wai-Wai!Home Meeting!! - 200 (estimate)
Sonic Colors: Ultimate - 310

Here it is. Happy birthday yet again, Sonic... a few months late this time. I only got the PS4 version since there is no physical PC version, there is no Japanese Xbox version (not that I have an Xbox, but you know...) and I figured that the Switch version would be garbage... lol I was right about that, from what people are saying, but the PS4 version has some problems. Nothing truly terrible happened to me during the entire playthrough aside from a single crash. Lots of stuttering and graphical glitches, though. Never played the original Sonic Colors, but I think I kind of like this game.
Super Stardust Ultra - 10

PC
Heart of the Woods - 468

Here's Heart of the Woods. I got my physical copy in the mail several days ago... and discovered that I've actually had a Steam key for it in my possession since April of last year, so I could have played it 16 months ago if I wanted. Oops. Anyway, this was actually really good for an original English visual novel, to my surprise, as most of them that were originally written in English... yeah, they are not great. This one is regarded as possibly the best original English visual novel ever made and it is actually pretty good overall. This game has a patch that makes it not suitable for those under the age of 18, so if you're not 18, don't use that patch! Actually, I can't use it either because the site that hosts the patch does not allow Japanese IP addresses to access any part of the site, but I wasn't going to use the patch anyway since most 18+ scenes in visual novels are actually pure garbage anyway to the point where you're better off skipping them entirely. Nice music, nice but sometimes inconsistent artwork, and voice acting that sounds like it was recorded inside a metal room the size of a phone booth and with lots of extremely noticeable audio noise. Only 3 choices to make in the entire game, all made by the same character... and not the one I expected.
Star Trek Bridge Commander - 117

AAAAAAAAA BRIDGE COMMANDER IS HERE!!!! Go to GOG and buy it and play it right now! It's been far too long since I played this awesome game. If you do get it on GOG, you might have to install an ancient version of DirectX to get it to run above ~5 FPS. I did. Took me several days to get it to work properly because of this, but now that I have it working properly for the first time in 13 years...

• Like 5

Here are my times for this past week (September 6th through 12th, 2021) on modern systems:

Browser based:

Taonga: the Island Farm - about 600 minutes in several sessions

This week I fell sick for most part of the week, but in the last days I got better, and I thought I'd play a game that doesn't impose any time pressure, but is more relaxed, so I tried out Taonga: the Island Farm which appeared in several ads, which are, however, mis-representing the game in that they show features that don't exist in the way shown... one ad shows several free spins in a row on the wheel of fortune where you win several things... which normally doesn't work this way. It's true you get one free spin per day, but what you get is not that much value, and the chance for another free spin is pretty low. Still I played this game for about 10 hours this week... the exact number of minutes is yet unknown since I'm at the moment in a backlog of days still needing to be processed, hanging at mid-Tuesday which was before I started playing the game. I suppose next week I'll somewhat come to terms and start playing the game less again or shorten the sessions as I did in Forge of Empires... we'll see. Anyway, no classic games this week since I've only played this browser game.

• Like 4

My modern gaming was exclusively 3DS.

Puzzle Labyrinth - 150 minutes. If you liked Dot Runner Complete Edition or Picdun 2, or especially if you wanted to really like them but didn’t (my situation, as I much preferred the earlier DSiWare), this is on the same engine and is a much more thoughtful experience. Combat isn’t really a thing here, except as part of puzzles. (The combat and the questionable dating sim mechanics of Picdun 2 were my buggest gripes with it.) Like Picdun 2, poor translation makes many of the puzzles very difficult to solve.

The Legend of Dark Witch - 29 minutes. I want to like this game but it’s just not doing it for me.

Kokuga - 23 minutes. Ikaruga it ain’t, but I like what it’s trying to do. If you’re a fan of Battle City, Pop Breaker, or the Tron tank game, it’s really worth checking out.

The Queen TV Game 2 - 22 minutes. Not as weird as Love Hero but still creepy. More authentically 2600-esque this time.

Chain Blaster - 15 minutes. This reminds me a lot of Every Extend Extra, one of my favorite games ever. But the rules here seem hard to figure out.

• Like 3

PC

Hero Realms (450 min)

Magic: the Gathering Arena (454 min)

RimWorld (784 min)

OQ

Beat Saber (354 min)

Finished unlocking my 80 mastery levels for the FR set in MTGA, just in time, as the new Innistrad set releases on Thursday. Also, the older sets are moving out of standard and into historic play, so that will help with my competitiveness.  And speaking of releases, Deathloop comes out tomorrow, so I think the RW game is hitting the back burner for now while I jump into that. As for the RW game, it's going pretty well. I've got 9 sets of armor for problems with mechs, but there hasn't been anything too stressful happening for the past week, so I've been able to focus on improving the base.

• Like 4

Here's me NOT forgetting to post this week:

PC

Pinball Arcade 35

Pinball FX3 47

X360

Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate 254

Pinball FX2 40

XOne

Bridge Constructor Portal 82

Mass Effect Legendary Edition 455

Pikuniku 70

Stranger Things 3: The Game 276

Twelve Minutes 406

Yes, Your Grace 121

• Like 4

My sincerest apologies for the extremely late post! I just got back from a long vacation today and now is the first chance I've had to sit down at the computer and write >_< Here's my household's times for the week!

Ineligible
Garou: Mark of the Wolves (Neo Geo AES/MVS) - 55 minutes
Magical Drop III (Neo Geo AES/MVS) - 20 minutes

Mortal Kombat II (Sega Genesis) - 15 minutes

Ms. Pac-Man (Arcade, Speed-Up Hack) - 10 minutes

Neo Bomberman (Neo Geo AES/MVS) - 190 minutes

Puzzle Bobble 2 (Neo Geo AES/MVS) - 25 minutes
Samurai Shodown II (Neo Geo AES/MVS) - 40 minutes

Super Castlevania IV (Super Nintendo) - 80 minutes

Vampire Savior (Arcade) - 30 minutes

Nintendo Switch
Alien: Isolation - 130 minutes
Monopoly - 90 minutes
New Super Lucky's Tale - 520 minutes
Quake - 15 minutes
Untitled Goose Game - 115 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week
1,335 minutes (22 hours 15 minutes) [870 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week
Nintendo Switch: 870 minutes
Neo Geo AES/MVS: 330 minutes
Super Nintendo: 80 minutes
Arcade: 40 minutes
Sega Genesis: 15 minutes

• Like 3

Week 35

Top games

1. MLB The Show 21 (Xbox Series X) - 1478 min. (#4)
2. RimWorld (PC) - 784 min. (#3)
3. Taonga: the Island Farm (Browser based) - 600 min.
4. New Super Lucky's Tale (Switch) - 520 min.
5. Kangokutou Mary Skelter Finale (PS4) - 509 min. (#2)
6. Heart of the Woods (PC) - 468 min.
7. Mass Effect: Legendary Edition (Xbox One) - 455 min.
8. Magic the Gathering Arena (PC) - 454 min. (#7)
9. Hero Realms (PC) - 450 min.
10. Twelve Minutes (Xbox One) - 406 min.

Top systems

1. PC - 2355 min. (#3)
2. Xbox One - 1677 min. (#5)
3. Xbox Series X - 1478 min. (#1)
4. PS4 - 1029 min. (#4)
5. Switch - 870 min. (#2)
6. Browser based - 600 min.
7. Oculus Quest - 354 min. (#6)
8. Xbox 360 - 294 min.
9. 3DS - 239 min.
10. iOS - 96 min. (#7)

Total 8992 minutes and 34 different games on 10 different systems, with 7 participants.

Alone but strong* ? MLB The Show 21, the only Series X game this week takes the individual title by almost twice as many minutes as RimWorld in second place. However the 7 different PC games brings that system to the most played. Also Skippy is saved by his balls** in order to bring the Switch from 0 to at least 870 min and a fifth place in the systems list.

*) Swedish proverb, not sure how widespread it is in different variants

**) Not a Swedish proverb yet

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Arcaea comes back for the first time in a while, Mary Skelter Finale is over once more but replaced by a different Compile Heart game on a different system, and the PS4 version of the Panzer Dragoon remake thing is now here.

PS4
Kangokutou Mary Skelter Finale - 215
Love Live! School Idol Festival ~after school ACTIVITY~ Wai-Wai!Home Meeting!! - 42
Panzer Dragoon: Remake - 60
Sonic Colors: Ultimate - 38

PC
Star Trek Bridge Commander - 188

Switch
Arcaea - 85
Fairy Fencer F: Advent Dark Force - 1,450

This is the worst version of FFFADF. Play any other version because this one runs terribly. I'll probably replace it with the PC version after this playthrough is finished, which should not take much longer.

• Like 4

Here are my times for this past week (September 13th through 19th, 2021) on modern systems:

First, a correction... the times for the previous week have now been determined exactly, and I actually played Taonga: the Island Farm for 894 minutes, not 600... sorry, I underestimated that. This playing time occured over the course of only 3 days!

This week, I played the same game (Taonga: the Island Farm) online for an estimated 1132 minutes. This, however, is only an estimation again since the game is still ongoing. I'll report any corrections to that.

• Like 3

@Tanooki destroyed my free time this week by telling me about the Konami Pixel Puzzle Collection (i.e. Picross) that is free to download on monile and has no ads except for Konami’s other mobile games (five PES games and then Frogger).

iOS:

Konami Pixel Puzzle Collection - 480 minutes. (And I’m only 30% done!)

No other modern games this week, but I did charge the Switch so I could charge the Nintendo Online NES Bluetooth controller so I could use it with my wife’s old NES, which has been unmothballed and pressed into service.

EDIT: I’m a liar. I just don’t think of the GBA as a modern system. I spent a lot of time with Pinball of the Dead on my GBA micro this week.

GBA

Pinball of the Dead - 45 minutes.

384C462E-8550-4419-99E7-57EEE26E928F.jpeg

FDBAD7B5-D98B-44F9-BCAA-4368588F1C06.jpeg

87F2328A-28CB-45AB-9562-09B2BD8A1D60.jpeg

• Like 3

I was able to track my game time this past week for the Modern stuff.   Work calmed down a little bit, plus I had some time spent between appointments and stuff.

Switch:
Cruis'n Blast -- 600 minutes
Littlewood -- 1560 minutes
Dead Cells -- 60 minutes

I've spent my 'end of the day' time playing Littlewood; it's like a condensed/more efficient Stardew Valley.  No time passes in Littlewood, instead your character uses a stamina bar; when the stamina runs out, it's time to go to bed.  ;)  No need for selecting individual tools/etc, either.

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/littlewood-switch/

I've been working through Cruis'n Blast unlocking keys and running random races here and there; still just about halfway through the Normal 'cup' races.

Dead Cells got another update that added some new features (including stuff to make the game easier, the tradeoff is you don't qualify for Boss Cells if you use it), so played through that a tiny bit.

XBox Series X:
Destiny 2 -- 120 minutes
Diablo 3 -- 960 minutes

Not much to speak of here.  I downloaded and tried out Destiny 2 for a couple of hours; the graphics are fantastic on the Series X, but gameplay wise I think this is a game that is going to require too much dedicated time from me.  Maybe one of these days :)

I rolled a Witch Doctor on Diablo 3 to pass the time until Diablo 2: Resurrected releases Thursday.

• Like 3

PC

DEATHLOOP (571 min)

Hero Realms (171 min)

Magic: the Gathering Arena (575 min)

OQ

Beat Saber (248 min)

What's with games going all caps in their titles these days? FUSER, HUMANKIND, and now DEATHLOOP. lol Anyway, DL is awesome. Apparently, it's having issues for some people with stuttering or something, but I haven't had any problems. Wait, not no problems. In fact, yesterday I lost an hour and half when my game crashed near the end of a mission. And the way the game works, it doesn't let you save whenever, it's old school in that you need to finish a mission and get back to your base or start over next time. So that sucked, but at least I know where to go now after spending much of that 1.5 hours trying to figure how to get where I needed to go...

Midnight Hunt came out in MTGA and I went 7-2 on my first draft run not really knowing the new cards, so that was exciting. I just tried to build a deck around one of the new abilities (Coven) which ended up being a white/green human tribal deck that started 0-2 but then I ran off 7 wins in a row.

Billie Eilish map set is coming out today for BS, so looking forward to that. I've got an unofficial map of Bad Guy that's pretty good, so looking forward to seeing (inevitably very challenging) official map looks like...

• Like 3

19 hours ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

Audiosurf 2 (PC) 72 mins

I'm currently working on an album and this game is a really good way to visualize the energy in a track so I've been playing every track on the album. Makes the game run really fast. heh

Oop I actually played 156 mins... it was the first time I played Audiosurf 2 and Steam says I have 2.6 hours.

• Like 2