IGNORED

What have you ACTUALLY played tracker - Modern Edition (2021)

carlsson

I didn't have time to post last week but I played less this week than usual so it shouldn't skew my totals too much. I stayed up late and played this most nights though while barely playing classic games the past week. Diablo: Hellfire got most of its time the week before and Pokemon Red Version was just sprinkled in here and there.

Diablo II for PC (2000) - 1372 minutes

I am most of the way through Chapter II, playing as a Barbarian.

• Like 3

Week 37

(yes, I just noticed that I posted stats for week #35 as #34 and week #36 as #35)

Top games

1. Littlewood (Switch) - 1560 min.
2. Fairy Fencer F: Advent Dark Force (Switch) - 1450 min.
3. Taonga: the Island Farm (Browser based) - 1426 min. (#3)
4. Diablo II (2000) (PC) - 1372 min.
5. MLB The Show 21 (Xbox Series X) - 1218 min. (#1)
6. Diablo 3 (Xbox Series X) - 960 min.
7. Cruis'n Blast (Switch) - 600 min.
8. Magic the Gathering Arena (PC) - 575 min. (#8)
9. DEATHLOOP (PC) - 571 MIN.
10. Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate (Xbox 360) - 521 min.

Top systems

1. Switch - 3780 min. (#5)
2. PC - 3177 min. (#1)
3. Xbox Series X - 2298 min. (#3)
4. Browser based - 1426 min. (#6)
5. Xbox 360 - 599 min. (#8)
6. PS4 - 535 min. (#4)
7. iOS - 497 min. (#10)
8. PS5 - 360 min.
9. Oculus Quest - 248 min. (#7)
10. Xbox One - 205 min. (#2)

Total 13170 minutes and 34 different games on 11 different systems, with 12 participants.

This week sees quite a few changes in the top, with the two Switch games Littlewood and Fairy Fencer F in the top, ahead of the browser game Taonga (including spillover minutes from last week). This is also the first time since week #27 where we have 5 or more games at 1000+ minutes each.

Systems wise the Switch takes the title, 10 hours ahead of the PC format. The PS5 is finally back in the tracker - I try to count systems games are played on based what the official pages say the games exist for - and the Xbox One just barely makes it in the top 10.

The tracker sets a new record in participants, which means a total of 8 times we've had 10 or more participants. Let's see if we can repeat that at least twice more this year.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

No, what I meant is that if you play PUBG for XB1 on the Series X, it is a XB1 game but if you play MLB The Show in a dedicated Series X version, it goes there.

For this instance, Mik's Arcade had played two games on his PS5: on one hand Streets of Rage 4 which all sources say is a PS4 game and that you need certain system upgrades to your PS5 to even play it there, and on the other hand Yakuza: Lika a Dragon which I understand has been released in a PS5 enhanced version, thus I assume that is what he played.

It is a bit hard to follow with these modern systems where people more or less expect backwards compatibility and I understand sometimes it can be hard even for the player to figure out which format of the game they are playing. They know the name of the console they're playing it on, but apparently that doesn't tell everything. I do believe you and most of the others have reported correctly, and for the regulars I rarely even look up new entries but for casuals I tend to do that in the beginning.

• Like 4

Only had work on 3 days this week due to public holidays, so lots of time spent with a few games. I unfortunately lost my exact times for Love Live! and Sonic, but I put a lot of time into both of them this week.

PS4
Battle Garegga Rev.2016 - 8
Blue Reflection - 14

The world's most boring RPG ever is back, but not for very long. I am very close to the end, so hopefully I can force myself to finish it soon and see the supposedly amazing ending this otherwise incredibly boring game has.
Love Live! School Idol Festival ~after school ACTIVITY~ Wai-Wai!Home Meeting!! - 400 (estimate)
Sonic Colors: Ultimate - 300 (estimate)
Super Stardust Ultra - 54

PC
Arcana Heart 3 LOVEMAX SIXSTARS!!!!!! XTEND - 14
Sonic Generations - 39
Star Trek Bridge Commander - 177

Switch
Arcaea - 8
Fairy Fencer F: Advent Dark Force - 612 (estimate)
So I beat the game. Then it crashed, so I had to kill the final boss again. Then I couldn't decide on what to carry over on my new game+ to do the next route, so I ended up fighting the final boss 2 more times. I noticed that around that starting at around the halfway point on higher difficulties, the enemies can occasionally ignore your P-DEF and M-DEF stats entirely, leading to a few insta-deaths or incredibly massive damage from regular attacks from normal enemies while you are at full HP with the best equipment available to you. That's a bunch of crap, but that's how it is.

• Like 4

Here are my times for this past week (September 20th through 26th) on modern systems (I didn't play any classic games this week):

First, a correction (again? Doh!) for last week:

I'm now able to correctly sum up the times for last week on "Taonga: The island farm", and it's exactly 999 minutes instead of the 1132 I estimated, so this time it's actually a bit less.

Times for this week:

Browser based:

Taonga: The island farm - 193 min. in 13 sessions)

This week I considerably cut down the time spent on "Taonga: The Island farm" by ending a session as soon as the energy runs out, and only playing 2 sessions per day. This should give about 28-30 minutes of playing time per day, and I'm pretty close to that. In the game itself, there's nothing special... I've currently set the priorities to buy and complete all the buildings I afford while serving the orders only as time and energy permit.

Other than that, I also played around with GoatTracker to create a version of the new ABBA song "Don't shut me down" for the Commodore 64. I've attached a SID file of what I have so far to this post.

Don't shut me down.sid

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, digdugnate said:

Arcade:

Metal Slug 3 -- 30 minutes

Pretty sure that should go in the old games tracker since the arcade machine in question is the Neo Geo. I need to play that game more, now that I think about it, since I almost exclusively play the first one and X for some reason... maybe I will set up my Neo Geo later and play it.

• Like 1

PC

DEATHLOOP (687 min)

Fire Pro Wrestling World (293 min)

Hero Realms (222min)

Magic: the Gathering Arena (673 min)

OQ

Beat Saber (327 min)

DL is my GOTY so far, for sure. Very satisfying gameplay and unwinding the web to figure how to complete the game is a lot of fun. Picked up Fire Pro on sale this week and gave it a go. I've never played a FPW game before (I mean, aside from it's granddaddy, Pro Wrestling on NES), so I'm still getting used to figuring out the timing on lockups, but there is a fun game there.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Pretty sure that should go in the old games tracker since the arcade machine in question is the Neo Geo. I need to play that game more, now that I think about it, since I almost exclusively play the first one and X for some reason... maybe I will set up my Neo Geo later and play it.

This one I was on the fence for, but since its release was March 23 2000, I threw it over here.

• Like 1

It is all modern gaming again for me this week.  Actually, I'm doing a lot less gaming in general because my wife has taken a sudden and unexpected interest in fantasy football, so our TV stays occupied with American Football for much of the weekend.

X360 

Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate 190 

Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 90 

XOne 

Lonely Mountains Downhill 25 

Mass Effect Legendary Edition 121

• Like 4

Just one game played for me this past week, but it was a good one! The only add-on for classic Doom on the Switch that I've never finished is No End in Sight, but it's a darn good one that feels really true to the design elements of the original Doom episodes from Id Software. The first time I tried playing it last year I played it on Ultra Violence difficulty, which is what I generally play Doom on, but it was far too difficult so I gave up after a couple levels. This year I decided to return to it on normal Hurt Me Plenty difficulty and have been having a great time! The difficulty feels challenging but reasonable, and the level design and pacing is just awesome.

I'mabout halfway through No End In Sight at this point so I think I'll probably finish it next week, which is a good thing because I've got less than two weeks until Metroid Dread comes out and that's a game that I'm definitely going to be clearing my schedule for! :D

Nintendo Switch
Doom [Classic]: No End In Sight - 575 minutes

• Like 3

A lot less gaming this week:

Wii:

Tron Evolution Battle Grids - 25 minutes. I do not understand how you are supposed to play the lightcycle game. It’s very nice looking but half the time the bike doesn’t jump. It would be more fun against another human who doesn’t know what they’re doing than a computer that also doesn’t know what it’s doing.

Game Boy Advance:

Phalanx - 25 minutes. Compares pretty closely to the original but it might be a little easier.

3D194F51-E3A3-4D3A-866F-D24FC6C504C7.thumb.jpeg.75132f03553bc12ac9177c5f3d066a2b.jpeg

EDIT: oops, I forgot the mobile game!

iOS:

Konami Pixel Puzzle Collection - 509 minutes. Up to 38% now, definitely getting harder.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, digdugnate said:

since its release was March 23 2000, I threw it over here

Yeah, the arcade cut-off is a little confusing to be honest. By the rules, all home systems are counted for hardware released before January 1, 2000 except for arcade games where games released before December 31, 2000 may go into the classic tracker. As you know, I have tried to document approximate release years for all featured arcade games and there are like 2 or 3 in the classic tracker which were released in 2000. If anything, I'd rather move those entries into this tracker to make the cut-off the same both for home consoles & computers and for arcade games - there is little point thinking that arcade games were slower to reach the market than home systems were which would explain an extra year overlap.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The past week my time was

Diablo II (2000) for PC - 1209 minutes

This is the only game I played all week last week.

I've gotten really far. I'm at the end of Chapter 3 where I have to beat Mephisto. I made it to his room but there were too many enemies so I retreated for now. I probably need to level up some more. I'm playing as the Barbarian.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, carlsson said:

Yeah, the arcade cut-off is a little confusing to be honest. By the rules, all home systems are counted for hardware released before January 1, 2000 except for arcade games where games released before December 31, 2000 may go into the classic tracker. As you know, I have tried to document approximate release years for all featured arcade games and there are like 2 or 3 in the classic tracker which were released in 2000. If anything, I'd rather move those entries into this tracker to make the cut-off the same both for home consoles & computers and for arcade games - there is little point thinking that arcade games were slower to reach the market than home systems were which would explain an extra year overlap.

Seems like the cutoff should be the same. Jan 1, 2000

• Like 1

7 hours ago, carlsson said:

That might make Neo Geo a bit awkward, though, as since MVS and AES are currently combined as Neo Geo MVS/AES, then you'd have to consider stuff like the MVS version of Mark of the Wolves releasing near the end of 1999 but the AES version released in 2000... but it's exactly the same game running the same ROM on identical hardware. Then you have those Neo Geo games released between 2000 and 2004, when the last official Neo Geo game was released on the hardware, although there is that new Samurai Shodown game that was released recently using a Neo Geo emulator. I don't know much about that game, though.

• Like 1

Yeah, a system with constantly updated hardware within the same label is tricky. The same can be said for e.g. Windows 95/98 and the 1 GHz barrier. I suppose in the long run it doesn't affect either stats a lot, but I take that as MVS/AES games have most of the hardware on each cartridge, and the console or base system simply coordinates I/O rather than having a set of CPU, graphics and sound chips to address?

The arcade games in the classic tracker are Dragon Blaze (unknown date in 2000), Star Wars: Racer Arcade (video recording showcased at ATEI in January 2000, released in Japan in May) and possibly Vector's Revenge (2007, but made to look like an older game).

Dragon Blaze currently has 85 min, Racer Arcade has 4 min and Vector's Revenge 5 min compared to Metal Slug 3 which with this week's numbers is up to 151 min. Neither really make a dent in the overall or arcade specific stats.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, carlsson said:

Yeah, a system with constantly updated hardware within the same label is tricky. The same can be said for e.g. Windows 95/98 and the 1 GHz barrier. I suppose in the long run it doesn't affect either stats a lot, but I take that as MVS/AES games have most of the hardware on each cartridge, and the console or base system simply coordinates I/O rather than having a set of CPU, graphics and sound chips to address?

So basically the way it works is that the only real differences between the MVS and AES are the cartridge PCB sizes, I believe possibly the voltages of the carts, lack of a coin receptacle thingy on the AES (although it would be pretty funny if it did have one!) and that the AES has soft DIPs that are specifically set to run the games in AES mode. Almost all Neo Geo game ROMs have both MVS and AES modes and basically the soft DIPS on the MVS will tell the game to run in MVS mode and the soft DIPs on the AES will tell the game to run in AES mode. This is why those MVS -> AES converters exist and will even let you play games that are exclusive to the MVS on the AES, since the hardware is otherwise identical in every way and most ROMs contain both versions. There are some exceptions, like Magician Lord, which does have specific versions for MVS and AES, but even then the MVS version will run on the AES. There's no such thing as an AES to MVS converter as far as I am aware due to such a converter being basically pointless, but in theory, any AES game should work on the MVS through a properly made converter if such a converter existed.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1

Week 38

Top games

1. Diablo 2: Resurrected (Xbox Series X) - 1860 min.
2. Medal of Honor: European Assault (Xbox) - 1440 min.
3. Diablo II (2000) (PC) - 1209 min. (#4)
4. Littlewood (Switch) - 1080 min. (#1)
5. Diablo 3 (Xbox Series X) - 900 min. (#6)
6. DEATHLOOP (PC) - 687 MIN. (#9)
7. Magic the Gathering Arena (PC) - 673 min. (#8)
8. Fairy Fencer F: Advent Dark Force (Switch) - 612 min. (#2)
9. Doom Classic I: No End in Sight (Switch) - 575 min.
10. Konami Pixel Puzzle Collection (iOS) - 509 min.

Top systems

1. PC - 3333 min. (#2)
2. Xbox Series X - 2760 min. (#3)
3. Switch - 2575 min. (#1)
4. Xbox - 1440 min.
5. PS4 - 986 min. (#6)
6. iOS - 509 min. (#7)
7. Xbox 360 - 460 min. (#5)
8. Oculus Quest - 327 min. (#9)
9. Browser based - 193 min. (#4)
10. Xbox One - 146 min. (#10)

Total 12809 minutes and 37 different games on 13 different systems, with 11 participants.

It is a bit of a Diablo week again, with three entries on the top list, headed by Diablo 2: Resurrected on the Xbox Series X. However the most played system is the PC with contribution from 9 different games.

For those who may have been late to post, feel free to add your minutes below and I'll include those for next week.

• Thanks 2