IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2021 (Season 14)

carlsson

Here are my times for this past week (January 25th through 31st) on classic systems...

Atari 2600:

Alligator people -16 min.

The only classic game I played this week was Alligator people. The 16 minute were a single game in which I reached about 42,000 points, and I decided that's enough. I then started to play Forge of Empires, but that's on the modern side.

Apart from that, I basically gave up analyzing the format of the Yamaha Playcards. What I did find out is that it's bit oriented, not byte oriented, which makes it a similar mess as the LPC data format of the TI-99 speech synthesizer. There are also some tables with values which I can't fully see through. The format of my old Yamaha PRS-60 keyboard (as saved on tape) is much easier to understand since it's basically also a straight RAM dump, so what's on tape gets loaded that way and stays in memory until it gets played. And it's divided into several tables which get played through from start to finish in the order they are stored.

• Like 3

ATARI 7800:

Mario Bros. (for HSC) - 12 minutes

ATARI LYNX:

Centipede - 7 minutes

Ms. Pac-Man - 86 minutes

COLECOVISION:

Donkey Kong - 148 minutes

Mecha-8 - 70 minutes

Zaxxon Super Game - 62 minutes

EVIDENCES OF THE WEEK:

My CV gameplay footages: Zaxxon Super Game (Skill 1) and Mecha-8 (difficulty Normal)

Edited by oyamafamily
  • Like 3

@twoquickcapri! Now that's a name I've not heard in a long time.

Meanwhile, my times for the week:

PlayStation:

Buttsubushi - 338 min.

Hyper Final Match Tennis - 99 min.
Imadoki no Vampire: Bloody Bride - 490 min.

One Two Smash: Tanoshii Tennis - 29 min.

Roland Garros French Open 2001 - 8 min.

Beat Imadoki no Vampire: Bloody Bride with my wife -- or we got one of the game's five primary "good" endings, anyway. I guess you could say one ought to get all five endings, but it's a vampire dating sim, what do you want from me?!

To my pleasant surprise I also finished off Buttsubushi. This was despite spending close to two hours staring uncomprehendingly at one of the puzzles and despairing of ever finishing the game -- to the point where I wondered if the designers had botched it and made it unsolvable. But nope, it can be done (quite simply as it turns out), and I'm now one of the few to have ever completed all 100 puzzles in this diabolical (and, apparently, quite rare) game. No ending or bonus for doing so, sadly.

I also beat Hyper Final Match Tennis again -- in that I replayed the US Open to get the win there, and then beat the final hidden character, 6-0 this time. No difference in the ending, or anything else, so clearly the game only cares if you're world #1 at the end of the season.

Tried a couple other tennis games to see if any of them "took", but no dice. Roland Garros seems almost unplayable, but then many of these games do at first.

• Like 5

Amiga

APB All Points Bulletin 45

ATR All Terrain Racing 72

Indy Heat 16

Jupiter's Masterdrive 50

Nitro 116

Super Cars 93

Super Cars II 23

Turbo Trax 72

Wings 136

Amiga AGA

Roadkill 33

Skidmarks 20

Slam Tilt 37

Super Skidmarks 63

Atari 2600

Kaboom 30

Atari 7800

Asteroids 9

Gameboy Color

LoZ Oracle of Seasons 286

More time on the Amiga where I decided to go through a tour of top down racers with a few other titles thrown in for the heck of it.  I also spent more time in Oracle of Seasons and a few minutes on Atari systems while I was testing out the input lag on a new-to-me HD CRT TV I picked up locally.

• Like 4

Atari 2600

Kaboom! - 187 minutes

Solar Fox - 163 minutes

I played more Kaboom! this week because I got higher scores.  In fact, you can tell how I scored by how much time I played. (Usually)  If I get a bunch of low scoring games

my time drops.

Hey wongojack, how did you do on your 30 minutes of playing Kaboom! ?

• Like 3

Times for the week are:

Arcade

Mappy - 11 mins PB of 43,810 (Those five PSone Namco Museum discs have so many great games)

Atari 2600

Demons to Diamonds - 77 mins (not a popular game but fun and challenging)

Eggomania - 89 mins

Fast Eddie - 10 mins

Solar Fox - 114 mins

Video Pinball 50 mins for FB HSC (lot of fun playing this again)

Zaxxon 52 mins for FB HSC (didn't care for this game too much)

All fun, almost.

• Like 3

On 1/30/2021 at 1:16 AM, Nintendo64 said:

It is relaxing to play for me as well, but again it must have taken a while to be able to get up to anywhere near a million points, right?

Over 30 years ago, every Saturday morning, I got my coffee, my cigarettes (since quit), my Metallica and would sit and play this game and only this game for hours.  I've been playing consistently ever since.

On 1/29/2021 at 7:48 AM, Atarian7 said:

I made it past a million again yesterday.     Rack 58 which I think is higher than the first time I made it.

Congrats again Atarian7.  Nice score.  Pretty soon you will be getting over a mil consistently.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Arcade:

BurgerTime - 23 minutes

Centipede - 20 minutes

Tempest - 20 minutes

Atari 2600:

Aquaventure - 15 minutes

Video Pinball - 15 minutes

Tempest - 5 minutes

Atari 5200:

Asteroids - 15 minutes

Centipede - 15 minutes

Missile Command - 15 minutes

Arcade stuff is pretty bog-standard- I played three of my fave arcade games.

I played a couple of games on the 2600 that I hadn't really spent much time with before, Aquaventure and Video Pinball; Aquaventure was a pretty fun game!  I didn't get super far since it was my first few times; obviously some more skill is required. I did manage to get four of the 'treasures' before i got whacked by the fish/sides of the stages.  Video Pinball was pretty neat, too, though about what I would expect for it.  :)  With Tempest, I could tell what was *trying* to be accomplished, but it's a rough go.

I had never really played any 5200 games before so it was neat to play the ports of Asteroids, Centipede, and Missile Command.  In particular, I thought that Centipede played really well for a console port- if we had a 5200 bitd, this would've been a fantastic addition to the library.  The Asteroids/Missile Command ports are engaging and fun as well, I think. :)

• Like 3

A pretty light week for gaming around here this week, but a fun one nonetheless! I logged a little more time and finished another dungeon in Link's Awakening on the Game Boy Color, played a little Kirby Super Star on the SNES and actually pulled off a perfect 201 point Megaton Punch, and started a play through of Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour on the Switch. The big highlight of the week though was, for the very first time, beating Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist for the Sega Genesis on normal difficulty on just one credit without using any continues! I had never been able to pull it off before, but I had a great night just munching some Pizza Hut pizza and playing TMNT until I beat it. Pizza power! :-D

DSC00646.thumb.JPG.b07e3291a96e5d5c7d035740623718bb.JPG

DSC00648.thumb.JPG.a44a6d77c097f146289aea9cf8c3821d.JPG

Ineligible

Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour (Nintendo Switch) - 480 minutes

Game Boy Color

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX - 83 minutes

Sega Genesis

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist - 173 minutes

Super Nintendo

Kirby Super Star - 80 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week

816 minutes (13 hours 780 minutes) [336 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

Nintendo Switch: 480 minutes

Sega Genesis: 173 minutes

Game Boy Color: 83 minutes

Super Nintendo: 80 minutes

• Like 5

On 1/26/2021 at 1:44 PM, Nintendo64 said:

Did you finish this game in this time? This is one game that I would like to complete one day, but I only have finished the first 3 for the NES, and Castlevania 64.

Yep! 370 minutes was the total time it took me to beat Super Castlevania IV, but it is a reaaaaally long game compared to all the other classic pre-SotN Castlevania games. Probably the longest, though I've never played Rondo of Blood on the PC Engine so I can't say for sure. In any case it's definitely my favorite of all the classic Castlevania games and well worth checking out if you're a fan of the series! :)

• Like 2

Here are my game times for the week

Atari 2600

Solar Fox                         -25 Minutes            I really enjoy this flying puzzle-like game for the Atari 2600. I need to practice more to try to reach a quarter of the scores that agb and Atarian7 have achieved.

NES

Blastermaster                   -70 minutes            This is a really good game that is a combination of a vehicle-shooter/platformer. The game is fun to play and the soundtrack so far is really good.

Burgertime                       -10 Minutes            This game is very difficult, but it is very enjoyable to play. I need to put more time into this game, I cant seem to get past the second level.

Boulderdash                      -10 Minutes           This is yet another really fun puzzle game for the NES, a system which seems to have a plethora of unique puzzle games.

Galaga                               -10 Minutes           I wish I would have played more of the game when I was a kid. I remember seeing the Arcade cabinet many times but I don't recall playing it.

Ghosts N' Goblins               -500 Minutes         I guess the number shows how much I really enjoy this game.  I learned something new about this game after putting in so much time for the week. I already knew that you need to beat the game twice in order to fully finish this game, and on the second run it does get more difficult. What I didn't realize is that if you continue and play it a 3rd or 4th time or 5th time, which I am currently on, the game gets insanely difficult. Its funny because the hardest part of the game is actually right before the 1st level boss: there are so many enemies that the screen starts to flicker, and it is almost impossible to beat without multiple save states.

Sega 32x

Doom                                -10 MInutes          This is a fun First person Shooter for the Sega 32x and I did enjoy playing it.

PS1

Alien Resurrection              -20 Minutes          This is a really difficult first person shooter for the PS1, although it doesn't seem as maze-like as Alien Isolation to me. I'm not the biggest fan of first person shooters, but the two I played this week were both good. I used to like Rise of the Triad on the PC back in the 90s, and would like to try to play that again someday.   

Edited by Nintendo64
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, agb said:

Over 30 years ago, every Saturday morning, I got my coffee, my cigarettes (since quit), my Metallica and would sit and play this game and only this game for hours.  I've been playing consistently ever since.

I can now I understand why you are so good at this game. I like some of Metallica as well, my favorite songs are Nothing Else matters and The Day that Never comes.

12 hours ago, Atarian7 said:

I played more Kaboom! this week because I got higher scores.

That's good to hear. I am horrible at this game, I really would like to use the paddles one day because with the Ps2 controller I cant get far into this game at all.

4 hours ago, Skippy B. Coyote said:

Yep! 370 minutes was the total time it took me to beat Super Castlevania IV, but it is a reaaaaally long game compared to all the other classic pre-SotN Castlevania games. Probably the longest, though I've never played Rondo of Blood on the PC Engine so I can't say for sure. In any case it's definitely my favorite of all the classic Castlevania games and well worth checking out if you're a fan of the series!

That's really good to know because I have always been a fan of the series, but have put most of my time in the NES games over the years.

9 hours ago, digdugnate said:

BurgerTime

Aquaventure

I really enjoy Burgertime as well, although I am not that good at it. That Aquaventure game looks like a really fun shooter, I need to try that out one day.

18 hours ago, wongojack said:

Asteroids

This is one game that I never was really good at, and I think it is because of the controls. Maybe I need to put in a little more time to get used to the controls, but for some reason the forward momentum always throws me off and I seem to go all over the place.

Edited by Nintendo64
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, digdugnate said:

Arcade:

BurgerTime - 23 minutes

Centipede - 20 minutes

Tempest - 20 minutes

Atari 2600:

Aquaventure - 15 minutes

Video Pinball - 15 minutes

Tempest - 5 minutes

Atari 5200:

Asteroids - 15 minutes

Centipede - 15 minutes

Missile Command - 15 minutes

Arcade stuff is pretty bog-standard- I played three of my fave arcade games.

I played a couple of games on the 2600 that I hadn't really spent much time with before, Aquaventure and Video Pinball; Aquaventure was a pretty fun game!  I didn't get super far since it was my first few times; obviously some more skill is required. I did manage to get four of the 'treasures' before i got whacked by the fish/sides of the stages.  Video Pinball was pretty neat, too, though about what I would expect for it.  :)  With Tempest, I could tell what was *trying* to be accomplished, but it's a rough go.

I had never really played any 5200 games before so it was neat to play the ports of Asteroids, Centipede, and Missile Command.  In particular, I thought that Centipede played really well for a console port- if we had a 5200 bitd, this would've been a fantastic addition to the library.  The Asteroids/Missile Command ports are engaging and fun as well, I think. :)

Did you recently get a 5200 or were you playing in emulation?  Asteroids was one of the few games for the 5200 that took advantage of all 4 controller ports.  I've never had 3 nerds to play it with me, but it looks like it would be fun - lol

• Like 3

On 2/1/2021 at 7:21 AM, Atarian7 said:

Atari 2600

Kaboom! - 187 minutes

Solar Fox - 163 minutes

I played more Kaboom! this week because I got higher scores.  In fact, you can tell how I scored by how much time I played. (Usually)  If I get a bunch of low scoring games

my time drops.

Hey wongojack, how did you do on your 30 minutes of playing Kaboom! ?

Not great - LOL.  I didn't even break 10k.  I was really just testing out a new TV that I picked up.  It's a big heavy HD CRT that upscales my Atari 7800 and introduces enough lag that my scores were terrible.  I did play a few rounds on a true SD CRT, but my scores were still not even worth talking about.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nintendo64 said:

Asteroids

This is one game that I never was really good at, and I think it is because of the controls. Maybe I need to put in a little more time to get used to the controls, but for some reason the forward momentum always throws me off and I seem to go all over the place.

Well, all those fans can't be wrong - lol. 

I personally really like Asteroids.  I even own an arcade cocktail version of Asteroids Deluxe.  That version doesn't even have a joystick, just buttons.  I like the balance of shooting and that thrusty/inertia movement.  It works for me, and as far as I'm concerned, almost every version of the game is good.  The core gameplay is so compelling that the different versions all seem to capture the "magic."  Even the Vectrex version which is called Minestorm is excellent.  Even the Supercharger knock-off that nobody talks about called Suicide Mission is good.  And well, Space Rocks puts them all to shame.

My advice for getting better at the game would be to only thrust forward when you absolutely have to.  With game 1 selected on the 2600, you barely have to move at all anyway.  You can just sit in the middle for quite a while and shoot.  It sounds stupid but shoot the rocks and try not to miss and you will do well.  I get caught up in the game, and I tend to forget that it is about shooting the rocks - lol.  Focus on shooting the smallest rocks on the screen, aim well and try to avoid shooting the bigger rocks until you have to.  Depending on which version of the game you are playing, you will only be able to shoot a few shots in a row before you are forced to pause your shots.  Figure out the max shots you can have on screen and pace yourself to never exceed it.  This way you will never get stuck in a position where you need to shoot a fast approaching rock, but can't.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, wongojack said:

Did you recently get a 5200 or were you playing in emulation?  Asteroids was one of the few games for the 5200 that took advantage of all 4 controller ports.  I've never had 3 nerds to play it with me, but it looks like it would be fun - lol

i was playing emulated.  :)  

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Skippy B. Coyote said:

A pretty light week for gaming around here this week, but a fun one nonetheless! I logged a little more time and finished another dungeon in Link's Awakening on the Game Boy Color, played a little Kirby Super Star on the SNES and actually pulled off a perfect 201 point Megaton Punch, and started a play through of Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour on the Switch. The big highlight of the week though was, for the very first time, beating Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist for the Sega Genesis on normal difficulty on just one credit without using any continues! I had never been able to pull it off before, but I had a great night just munching some Pizza Hut pizza and playing TMNT until I beat it. Pizza power! :-D

DSC00646.thumb.JPG.b07e3291a96e5d5c7d035740623718bb.JPG

DSC00648.thumb.JPG.a44a6d77c097f146289aea9cf8c3821d.JPG

Ineligible

Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour (Nintendo Switch) - 480 minutes

Game Boy Color

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX - 83 minutes

Sega Genesis

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist - 173 minutes

Super Nintendo

Kirby Super Star - 80 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week

816 minutes (13 hours 780 minutes) [336 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

Nintendo Switch: 480 minutes

Sega Genesis: 173 minutes

Game Boy Color: 83 minutes

Super Nintendo: 80 minutes

I didnt play Hyperstone Heist on the Genesis back in the day since I was a SNES guy.  I will say TMNT 4: Turtles in Time is a darn good port on the SNES, though.

• Like 2

Here's the summary for Week 04, running from January 25 - 31. We logged 5765 minutes of eligible play, playing 71 games on a total of 18 systems.

Top 10:

1. Grandia (Sega Saturn) - 687 min.
2. Ghosts 'n' Goblins (NES/Famicom) - 500 min.
3. Imadoki no Vampire: Bloody Bride (PlayStation) - 490 min. (#1)
4. Sonic 3 & Knuckles [aka Complete Version] (Genesis) - 347 min.
5. Buttsubushi (PlayStation) - 338 min.
6. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 302 min.
7. Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Game Boy Color) - 286 min. (#8)
8. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 217 min.
9. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist (Genesis) - 173 min.
10. Donkey Kong (ColecoVision) - 148 min.

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 302 min. (PN#1)
2. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 217 min. (PN#3)
3. Donkey Kong (ColecoVision) - 148 min.
4. Eggomania (Atari 2600) - 89 min. (PN#8)
5. Demons to Diamonds (Atari 2600) - 77 min. (PN#10)
6. Mecha-8 (ColecoVision) - 70 min.
7. Video Pinball (Atari 2600) - 65 min.
8. Zaxxon Super Game (ColecoVision) - 62 min.
9. Zaxxon (Atari 2600) - 52 min.
10. BurgerTime (Arcade) - 23 min.

Top 10 systems:

1. PlayStation (984) (#1)
2. Atari 2600 (848) (#6)
3. Sega Saturn (687)
4. Genesis (655) (#7)
5. Amiga (623) (#4)
6. NES/Famicom (600) (#5)
7. Game Boy Color (369) (#3)
8. ColecoVision (280) (#10)
9. Amiga AGA/ECS (153)
10. SNES (140) (#2)

After a few weeks absence, the Atari 2600 is back in the overall top 10. Speaking of absence, welcome back to @twoquickcapri who on his own contributes so Grandia on the Sega Saturn becomes the most played game by a margin just over three hours ahead of Ghosts 'n Goblins on the NES, which in its turn is only ten minutes ahead of Imadoki no Vampire: Bloody Bride. The pre-NES list is headed by the two Atari 2600 favorites Solar Fox and Kaboom! and systems wise, the PlayStation retains its #1 position from last week, with the 2600 in a strong second.

We have two new members to the 1000 Minute Club:

#429 Buttsubushi (PlayStation) with 1129 minutes

#430 Donkey Kong (ColecoVision) with 1071 minutes

Perhaps the later is a little surprising, that the famous Donkey Kong took so long to exceed 1000 minutes, but now it is part of this ever growing family, as the 6th ColecoVision title to have achieved this.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Atari 2600:

Bump 'n Jump: 5 min

Frogger: 4 min

Moon Patrol: 40 min

Pac Man: 8 min

Sky Diver: 50 min

NES:

Kabuki Quantum Fighter: 10 min

Super Mario Bros: 15 min

Tiger Heli: 7 min

Well, guess who has consoles back on line? After some refurnishing of our "new" living room, there is finally room for the old TV and two consoles. My son and I played around with then. As you can see from the play times, he really likes Sky Diver and Moon Patrol.

• Like 5

On 2/1/2021 at 9:23 PM, wongojack said:

I personally really like Asteroids.  I even own an arcade cocktail version of Asteroids Deluxe.  That version doesn't even have a joystick, just buttons. 

And well, Space Rocks puts them all to shame.

My advice for getting better at the game would be to only thrust forward when you absolutely have to.  With game 1 selected on the 2600, you barely have to move at all anyway.  You can just sit in the middle for quite a while and shoot.  It sounds stupid but shoot the rocks and try not to miss and you will do well.  I get caught up in the game, and I tend to forget that it is about shooting the rocks - lol.

Its funny you say that about the buttons only version of Asteroids, because the version I liked the best was Asteriods Hyper 64 where the thrust forward movement was using a button and not the joystick.

I looked at the Space Rocks game, and the different modes make this game look awesome. The one where the space ships are shooting back at you looks really fun to play. I don't ever recall seeing that in Asteroids unless it happens later on in the game.

I don't really feel like remapping my controller for the Atari 2600 version, so I think I will play the N64 version, although I might try some of the other versions I have as well. Thanks for  all of the tips you provided and that was funny about "shooting the rocks".

On 2/2/2021 at 3:49 PM, carlsson said:

Perhaps the later is a little surprising, that the famous Donkey Kong took so long to exceed 1000 minutes, but now it is part of this ever growing family, as the 6th ColecoVision title to have achieved this.

That is interesting to know about Donkey Kong and how long it took to exceed 1000 minutes. The NES version has always been a nostalgic one for me, as for a remember playing it in the Dentists office when I was a kid. Kind of crazy, but I can recall them having multiple m82 demo units to be able to play before you got your teeth cleaned.

As always thanks for adding up the times for the week.

Edited by Nintendo64
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, carlsson said:

Later on, did the dentist also invest in equipment made from leftover Atari Jaguar shells? :-D

Haha, no it was just the NES. I'm not sure if it was the M82's but all I can remember is the setup had multiple games in a demo unit, and you could swap out the physical game cartridges. I'm aware of the M8 and and M82, but maybe there's another model that I'm not aware of. Either way it was nice to be able to play NES games in the waiting room at a place that is not particularly fun to be at.

Edited by Nintendo64
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Nintendo64 said:

The one where the space ships are shooting back at you looks really fun to play. I don't ever recall seeing that in Asteroids unless it happens later on in the game.

On the 2600 version, the default difficulty (Diff B) does not have them, but if you switch to difficulty A then they appear.  Makes the game much more interesting.

You have to play around with the game variations on the 2600 version, there is a much better game in there than just the default settings on game 1.

• Like 3