IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2021 (Season 14)

carlsson

2 hours ago, wongojack said:

On the 2600 version, the default difficulty (Diff B) does not have them, but if you switch to difficulty A then they appear.  Makes the game much more interesting.

You have to play around with the game variations on the 2600 version, there is a much better game in there than just the default settings on game 1.

here's a link, too, for the variations. :)  https://atariage.com/manual_html_page.php?SoftwareID=828

• Like 3

On 2/1/2021 at 9:23 PM, wongojack said:

Well, all those fans can't be wrong - lol. 

I personally really like Asteroids.  

I remember the first time I played Asteroids. My favorite arcade game ever. I bought the 2600 Asteroids before I bought a 2600 console. I bought the ps one asteroids before I bought a ps one.  Asteroids was the only reason I bought those systems. After 40 years playing ,my scores are still terrible.  After reading these posts, I turned on my ps one, popped in my asteroids. Played twenty or so games and my scores are still terrible. 

D0771EA5-3A71-47D8-96D0-2916FA223EDE.jpeg

• Like 4

I took it easy this week and didn't play a whole lot of things or for very long for some reason. Sonic is gone for the first time in a while, but Dracula X is back.

GB
Tobu Tobu Girl Deluxe - 70 (estimate)

I may have added an additional 13 minutes to my time. I forgot to clear my phone's timer overnight and thought I might not have added the 13 minutes that I woke up and saw, so I added them. Maybe I did record them, but maybe I didn't, hence the estimate.

FDS
Super Mario Bros. - 18

It's Super Mario Bros., but on the FDS. Is it any different from the cart version? I don't know. Seems identical. I'll go check The Cutting Room Floor or something eventually.

Neo Geo AES/MVS
Aggressors of Dark Kombat - 4
Garou: Mark of the Wolves - 94
The King of Fighters '98 - 10

Arcade
In the Hunt - 11

Am I the first person to record this game here? A 20 second search makes it look like I am. Surprising. Play this one if you haven't played it before.

Saturn
Akumajou Dracula X ~Gekka no Yasoukyoku~ - 91

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 4

Yes, the back cover of Solar Fox says:

Speed your Starship through twenty-six perilous solar energy fields with fireballs hot on your tail!

On a daring mission to save an energy-starved Earth, you must navigate your Starship through a complex matrix of precious solar-cells. The faster you clear the matrix, the greater your reward! Ominous Sentinels oscillate along the perimeter and riddle the energy field with fireballs. Their slightest touch will reduce your ship to ashes. Defenseless, you must weave in and out of their path until the last solar-cell is secured! The action gets hotter and hotter as you encounter more dangerous and devious solar-cell matrixes. But the supreme test awaits you in the mysterious Challenge Racks, where expert skill will enable you to learn the ultimate secret of your mission! Can you endure to the end... if there ever is one?

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here are my times for this week (February 1st through 7th) on classic systems...

Commodore 64:

Joust (prototype) - 8 min.

The only classic game I played this week was the unreleased Atarisoft version of Joust which also doesn't quite seem finished (especially regarding the sound), and then I only played one game of that in which I died at the pterodactyl wave.

• Like 4

ATARI 2600:

Berzerk (for HSC) - 10 minutes

Shootin' Gallery - 40 minutes

Venture (for HSC) - 10 minutes

ATARI LYNX:

Ms. Pac-Man - 30 minutes

COLECOVISION:

Donkey Kong - 53 minutes

EVIDENCES OF THE WEEK:

1) My 2600 Shootin' Gallery gameplay performance - Game 1 - Score 253,900

2) My CV Donkey Kong gameplay performance - Skill 4

• Like 4

Arcade:

Asteroids 35 mins.  Great game, bad scores.

Atari 2600:

Berzerk for HSC 16 mins - Hard level, bad scores - Not sure why this game is so well liked by many, but it is.

Solar Fox 92 mins - pretty good scores - pretty fun game

Video Pinball  - 73 mins - For FB HSC - Great game, really had fun with it.  Very respectable score.

Good gaming week.

• Like 3

Amiga 

Micro Machines 40 

Overdrive 67 

ColecoVision 

Armageddon 6 

Cabbage Patch Kids: Adventures in the Park 39 

Illusions 26 

Mr Turtle 25 

Pitfall II Arcade 8 

Spunky's Supercar 5 

Spy Hunter 84 

Steamroller 12 

Sydney Hunter Sacred Tribe 75 

Tarzan: From Out of the Jungle 32 

Gameboy Color 

LoZ Oracle of Seasons 245

Over the past few weeks, I've now completed a small tour of top-down Amiga racers.  I'm thinking of doing some mini-reviews on all of them and trying to rank them, but there isn't really all THAT much differentiating them.  I may have to log more play time this week to work out what I actually think of them all.

Recently, I got a new TV cheaply, and it works perfectly with the Collectorvision Phoenix, so I put more time into the Coleco fpga on that device.  I also logged time for the only Phoenix exclusive game, but you'll have to check the modern tracker for an update on that as the game is NOT playable on any ColecoVision console!  Posted a review here.

I also kept going with Oracle of seasons, although I did quit the level 5 dungeon on Sunday because I just couldn't put up with some of the bullsh!+ they were forcing me to do.  I'll get back to it.

• Like 4

A nice variety of games played around here this past week! I started off the week finishing up the original 3 chapters of Duke Nukem 3D on the Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour remaster for Nintendo Switch, then did a full play through and (for the first time ever) beat my childhood favorite game Kid Dracula on the Game Boy! After that I spent the rest of the week putting my Xbox Game Pass subscription—that was generously gifted to me by a fellow AtariAger—to good use playing through Dead Space 2 for the Xbox 360 for the first time. It was one heck of a ride and I think I enjoyed it even more than the original Dead Space, though Dead Space: Extraction on the Wii is still my favorite entry in the series. Wrapping up the week, I decided to get in a bit more retro gaming time playing the timeless classic Streets of Rage 2 on the Genesis and actually managed to beat it single player on normal difficulty for the first time! I did have to use one continue on Stage 8, but still managed to make it to the top of the high score board before continuing. :)

DSC00710.thumb.JPG.2e846d72bfd9b7371c854d0aa87ad241.JPG

DSC00712.thumb.JPG.1aa655c564e6e1b4550c2cd0618abd41.JPG

Ineligible

Dead Space 2 (Xbox 360) - 1,440 minutes

Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour (Nintendo Switch) - 195 minutes

Game Boy

Kid Dracula - 181 minutes

Sega Genesis

Streets of Rage 2 - 172 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week

1,988 minutes (33 hours 8 minutes) [353 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

Xbox 360: 1,440 minutes

Nintendo Switch: 195 minutes

Game Boy: 181 minutes

Sega Genesis: 172 minutes

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Skippy B. Coyote said:

A nice variety of games played around here this past week! I started off the week finishing up the original 3 chapters of Duke Nukem 3D on the Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour remaster for Nintendo Switch, then did a full play through and (for the first time ever) beat my childhood favorite game Kid Dracula on the Game Boy! After that I spent the rest of the week putting my Xbox Game Pass subscription—that was generously gifted to me by a fellow AtariAger—to good use playing through Dead Space 2 for the Xbox 360 for the first time. It was one heck of a ride and I think I enjoyed it even more than the original Dead Space, though Dead Space: Extraction on the Wii is still my favorite entry in the series. Wrapping up the week, I decided to get in a bit more retro gaming time playing the timeless classic Streets of Rage 2 on the Genesis and actually managed to beat it single player on normal difficulty for the first time! I did have to use one continue on Stage 8, but still managed to make it to the top of the high score board before continuing. :)

I think I liked DS2 better than DS1 also.  Although I played them years apart and really like them both (also like Extraction).  There's a part in DS2 where they mess with you and break perspective to make you force a needle into the protagonist's eye.  That both made me laugh and terrified me - classic.  I still have never played DS3, but I believe it is also in GamePass (at least it has been in the past).  I think those games are all in there through EA Play now.

• Like 3

Here's the summary for Week 05, running from February 1 - 7. We logged 2665 minutes of eligible play, playing 47 games on a total of 15 systems.

Top 10:

1. Grandia (Sega Saturn) - 330 min. (#1)
2. Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Game Boy Color) - 245 min. (#7)
3. Kid Dracula (Game Boy) - 181 min.

4. Ghosts 'n' Goblins (NES/Famicom) - 180 min.
5. Streets of Rage 2 (Genesis) - 172 min.
6. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 150 min. (#6)

7. Blaster Master (Chou Wakusei Senki MetaFight) (NES/Famicom) - 130 min.
8. Garou: Mark of the Wolves (Neo Geo AES/MVS) - 94 min.
9. Akumajou Dracula X: Gekka no Yasoukyoku (JP version of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night) (Sega Saturn) - 91 min.
10. Spy Hunter (ColecoVision) - 84 min.

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 150 min. (PN#1)
2. Spy Hunter (ColecoVision) - 84 min.
3. Sydney Hunter and the Sacred Tribe (ColecoVision) - 75 min.
4. Video Pinball (Atari 2600) - 73 min. (PN#7)
5. Donkey Kong (ColecoVision) - 53 min. (PN#3)
6. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 51 min. (PN#2)
7. Sky Diver (Atari 2600) - 50 min.
8. Moon Patrol (Atari 2600) - 40 min.
8. Shootin' Gallery (Atari 2600) - 40 min.
10. Cabbage Patch Kids: Adventures in the Park (ColecoVision) - 39 min.

Top 10 systems:

1. Atari 2600 (459) (#2)
2. Sega Saturn (421) (#3)
3. ColecoVision (365) (#8)

4. NES/Famicom (342)
5. Game Boy (251)
6. Game Boy Color (245) (#7)
7. Genesis (182) (#4)
8. Neo Geo AES/MVS (108)
9. Amiga (107) (#5)
10. PlayStation (63) (#1)

Grandia on the Sega Saturn for the second week in a row becomes the most played game, and celebrates by becoming member #431 in the 1000 Minute Club with a total of 1017 minutes played. Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons is only 85 minutes behind, and the third game remaining on the top 10 from last week is Solar Fox which thus also becomes the most played pre-NES game. Systems wise the PlayStation is dropping from #1 to #10, leaving the Atari 2600 and Sega Saturn in a close battle for becoming the most played.

Also welcome back to @karokoenig . Hopefully some more people will join the tracker, looking at all the lurkers! ?

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 6

It looks like I posted too late for this week.  It's ok if you don't add the times for the week. Sorry about that

NES

Blaster Master                     -130 Minutes             This is a classic game for the NES and I really enjoyed it. Some of the levels were hard to find, so it took some exploring of the game to be able to find the next area. The game somewhat reminded me of metroid with its space atmosphere and the music, which is great, also reminds me a little bit of the game. I would definitely recommend this game to anyone who hasn't played it.

Ghosts'N Goblins              -180 Minutes              This is a classic game for the NES that I remember watching my brother play when I was a kid. I finished the sega genesis one as well, and I think in the future I am going to play the SNES version.

Edited by Nintendo64
  • Like 3

On 2/4/2021 at 9:44 AM, wongojack said:

On the 2600 version, the default difficulty (Diff B) does not have them, but if you switch to difficulty A then they appear.  Makes the game much more interesting.

You have to play around with the game variations on the 2600 version, there is a much better game in there than just the default settings on game 1.

Thank you for that information. That's an interesting part about the Atari 2600 that I really haven't explored too much, the fact that you are able to play with different game modes. I will definitely try that out with Asteriods and a few other Atari games in the future.

On 2/4/2021 at 12:01 PM, digdugnate said:

here's a link, too, for the variations. :)  https://atariage.com/manual_html_page.php?SoftwareID=828

Thank you for that link, I am going to look through some more of these Atari 2600 manuals of the games I have been playing.

On 2/4/2021 at 7:08 PM, agb said:

I bought the ps one asteroids before I bought a ps one.

I need to try out the ps1 Asteriods. It looks like a really good version to play, and kind of reminds me of the N64 version.

On 2/8/2021 at 7:52 AM, Atarian7 said:

Berzerk

This is a really fun game to play and I would really like to try out the NES version that someone on atariage developed.

21 hours ago, Skippy B. Coyote said:

Streets of Rage 2

This is a really fun beatem up that I enjoyed playing in the past. I would like to try to finish this game, and maybe try out the Ps4 Streets of Rage whenever I decide to play my PS4 again.

Edited by Nintendo64
  • Like 4

ATARI 2600:

Berzerk (for HSC) - 35 minutes

Donkey Kong Jr. (for HSC) - 7 minutes

Millipede (for HSC) - 43 minutes

Venture (for HSC) - 45 minutes

ATARI 7800:

Frenzy (for HSC) - 20 minutes

Pac-Man Collection - 80 minutes

EVIDENCE OF THE WEEK: My 7800 Pac-Man Collection gameplay footage, with Pac-Man Plus in Fast Mode

Edited by oyamafamily
  • Like 3

Sonic is back after a week of absence. Spent lots of time with Sonic and Terry Bogard this week and will do the same next week. Not much else to say right now, really.

Neo Geo AES/MVS
Fatal Fury Special - 3
Garou: Mark of the Wolves - 77
Real Bout Fatal Fury - 41
Real Bout Fatal Fury Special - 45
Real Bout Fatal Fury 2 - 9

The King of Fighters '98 - 7 (estimate)

Arcade
Psycho Soldier - 28

Dreamcast
Ikaruga - 7
Power Stone - 8