IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2021 (Season 14)

carlsson

Genesis:
Sonic the Hedgehog - 14 min.
Super Monaco GP - 2 min.

Master System:
Winter Olympics: Lillehammer 94 - 30 min.

Yeah, an Atari-free week of mine as I didn't fancy playing any more Blue Max. Instead I tried a few of the Mega Drive carts that I "repaired" last year by soldering a pull-up resistor. It turns out that Super Monaco GP and the two loose (PCB only) copies of Sonic the Hedgehog still boot correctly, but the pirate version of Aladdin doesn't get beyond the "Sega presents..." screen.

Then I browsed a little more through the Everdrive cartridge. I'm not fully updated which winter sports games were released on the Mega Drive or how many of those are not present among the ROMs already installed on the supplied SD card. Instead I played some emulated Master System but wasn't impressed about playability or difficulty level. The game generally looks great for Master System capacities but it is the first time I was able to do 360 turns standing still in downhill. I also found that the turbo button mode on my MD stick came in handy as there is an awful lot of button mashing in this game. Sorry, but give me Epyx any day when it comes to multisports events. The graphics may have evolved in the decade between 1984 and 1994 but playability, not so much.

• Like 6

Here are the games I played for the week, I kind of went on mission to play Asteriods.

Atari 2600

Asteriods                     -25 Minutes             I really enjoyed this game allot more by trying out the different versions other than the default mode, and I want to thank wongojack that advice and for telling me to try to stay in the middle of the screen. I also want to thank digdugnate for showing me the manual for this game to see all of the different game types.

NES

Galaga                         -15 Minutes            I can pick up and play this game at anytime, which I think makes for a great game: one that can be replayed over and over and is still fun to play.

Super Contra 2            -15 Minutes           This is one of the most difficult versions of Contra I have ever played. It is a hack, and the funny thing is I'm pretty sure the konami code actually gives you less lives in this one.

Sega Genesis

James Pond 2              -5 Minutes              I only played a little of this game to listen to the soundtrack, which was suggested to me in another thread. It seemed like a fun game with a very uplifting soundtrack.

James Pond 3              -5 Minutes              This version of the game reminded me of Sonic, because the character is so fast. This looks to be a very fun version of the game, and I think I will try to put some more time into this game in the future.

PS1

Asteriods                     -25 Minutes      I remembered agb saying that he purchased the game before buying the system, and I can see why. The graphics were really well done, and I enjoy the Asteriods games that use a button for the throttle. This was my favorite version of Asteriods that I played this week and I highly recommend it.

N64               

Asteriods Hyper 64     -15 Minutes  This is a really good version of Asteriods, and kind of reminds me of the PS1 version, but I feel like the first level background design blends in with the space rocks a little too much. I think the first level graphics go past level 15, which I couldn't reach, but either way it is still a very enjoyable version of Asteriods. Also when you get hit, it has the biggest explosion of all the Asteriods game that I have played, which was fun to see.

Edited by Nintendo64
  • Like 6

Saturn:

Grandia - 53 min.

FM Towns:
Raiden Densetsu - 60 min.
Bubble Bobble - 20 min.

I was playing the Saturn with a retro-bit wireless controller but one desk level drop to the ground broke it. Never got around to digging out the OEM controller. Did get the disc drive reliably working in my FM Town HR for the first time since owing it. Playing it on the floor of my office did suck a little. Oh the neck and back pain.

Et0-GtaVkAcxPfx.thumb.jpg.8654a8090bcfeed3aed08538b224dc44.jpg

• Like 7

Arcade

Asteroids 19

Asteroids Deluxe 20

Centipede 14

Dig Dug 12

Galaxian 10

Gaplus 12

Mappy 12

i played them all on my ps one. All fun. 

Berzerk 55 HSC

Demons to Diamonds 11 

Eggomania 32. Happy to score over 90,000. First time recently. 
Millipede 18 HSC. 
Solar Fox 219

Venture 31 HSC

week 1 of HSC was Berzerk and Venture and I am off to a horrible start. Millipede for week two should be better. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, thegoldenband said:

Saturn:
Sega Ages: Galaxy Force - 5 min.

So what do we do with this one? I saw that back in 2012, twoquickcapri played Space Harrier (JP Vol 2), Out Run (JP Vol 3) and After Burner II (JP Vol 4) that happened to be the only in the Sega Ages series to be released in the west, as Sega Ages Vol 1 and thus were combined into one entry. Now Galaxy Force II (JP Vol 12) was briefly played previously and I see from the Wikipedia page that going by the Japanese count there were 13 releases in the Sega Ages series, only on the Saturn. To list some individually because they only existed in Japan, and to combine others into a single entry because they were packaged as a collection overseas seems odd to me, so I split up the previous 125 minutes into 15+75+35 min and added this to Vol 12.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 3

I started off this week intending to play through Dead Space 3, since I just played the second game in the series last week and enjoyed it very much, but quickly found that I was feeling a little burnt out on horror games and wanted to play a different genre of game that would be more relaxing. With that in mind I decided to check out Lunar: The Silver Star on the Sega CD for the first time (via the Mega SD flash cart), since gaming doesn't get more relaxing and low stress than a JRPG.

I'm not usually much of an RPG guy, but to my great surprise this one totally hooked me and I think it's the most I've enjoyed an RPG since Chrono Trigger on the SNES! At this point I'm pretty sure that I'm really close to the final boss battle and should be finishing up the game within the next day or two, and wow what a game it's been! The difficulty level feels just right (challenging but still relatively forgiving), I love the characters and story, the writing is great with the localization team at Working Designs managing to sneak in some hilarious modern day references, and the anime style cutscenes are really impressive for a 1993 game. I can definitely see why Lunar: The Silver Star was the second best selling Sega CD game in Japan—second only to Sonic CD—and why western audiences loved it too. I'd absolutely recommend it to any fan of the 16-bit era of gaming in need of a truly exceptional RPG to play. 

Wrapping up the week, the new season of the Atari 2600 High Score Club has started! By the I realized it was underway I didn't have long to play, but I still managed to get in a fairly respectable score of 21,100 in Venture and a not-so-respectable 6,000 and some in Berzerk :lol: It was still fun though and I'm really looking forward to taking a crack at Millipede next week! Until then though, back to Lunar!

Et1nu_YWYAAhKOB.thumb.jpeg.5a349638b003b43d8bbf88220d645c47.jpeg

Ineligible

Dead Space 3 (Xbox 360) - 134 minutes

Atari 2600

Berzerk - 24 minutes

Venture - 50 minutes

Sega CD

Lunar: The Silver Star - 1,973 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week

2,181 minutes (36 hours 21 minutes) [2,047 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

Sega CD: 1,973 minutes

Xbox 360: 134 minutes

Atari 2600: 74 minutes

Edited by Skippy B. Coyote
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, carlsson said:

So what do we do with this one? I saw that back in 2012, twoquickcapri played Space Harrier (JP Vol 2), Out Run (JP Vol 3) and After Burner II (JP Vol 4) that happened to be the only in the Sega Ages series to be released in the west, as Sega Ages Vol 1 and thus were combined into one entry. Now Galaxy Force II (JP Vol 12) was briefly played previously and I see from the Wikipedia page that going by the Japanese count there were 13 releases in the Sega Ages series, only on the Saturn. To list some individually because they only existed in Japan, and to combine others into a single entry because they were packaged as a collection overseas seems odd to me, so I split up the previous 125 minutes into 15+75+35 min and added this to Vol 12.

I think chopping up Sega Ages Vol. 1 into its components, i.e. the individual Japanese releases, is pretty reasonable. I doubt there are any differences whatsoever in the gameplay, though then again now I've got some weird ping in my memory banks about OutRun being 60fps in the US version but only 30fps in the Japanese one, or something like that...hmmm...

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Skippy B. Coyote said:

I started off this week intending to play through Dead Space 3, since I just played the second game in the series last week and enjoyed it very much, but quickly found that I was feeling a little burnt out on horror games and wanted to play a different genre of game that would be more relaxing. With that in mind I decided to check out Lunar: The Silver Star on the Sega CD for the first time (via the Mega SD flash cart), since gaming doesn't get more relaxing and low stress than a JRPG.

I'm not usually much of an RPG guy, but to my great surprise this one totally hooked me and I think it's the most I've enjoyed an RPG since Chrono Trigger on the SNES! At this point I'm pretty sure that I'm really close to the final boss battle and should be finishing up the game within the next day or two, and wow what a game it's been! The difficulty level feels just right (challenging but still relatively forgiving), I love the characters and story, the writing is great with the localization team at Working Designs managing to sneak in some hilarious modern day references, and the anime style cutscenes are really impressive for a 1993 game. I can definitely see why Lunar: The Silver Star was the second best selling Sega CD game in Japan—second only to Sonic CD—and why western audiences loved it too. I'd absolutely recommend it to any fan of the 16-bit era of gaming in need of a truly exceptional RPG to play. 

Wrapping up the week, the new season of the Atari 2600 High Score Club has started! By the I realized it was underway I didn't have long to play, but I still managed to get in a fairly respectable score of 21,100 in Venture and a not-so-respectable 6,000 and some in Berzerk :lol: It was still fun though and I'm really looking forward to taking a crack at Millipede next week! Until then though, back to Lunar!

Et1nu_YWYAAhKOB.thumb.jpeg.5a349638b003b43d8bbf88220d645c47.jpeg

Ineligible

Dead Space 3 (Xbox 360) - 134 minutes

Atari 2600

Berzerk - 24 minutes

Venture - 50 minutes

Sega CD

Lunar: The Silver Star - 1,973 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week

2,181 minutes (36 hours 21 minutes) [2,047 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

Sega CD: 1,973 minutes

Xbox 360: 134 minutes

Atari 2600: 74 minutes

Lunar: Silver Star is a fantastic game.  I think it's the only one in the Lunar series I finished. :)

• Like 2

Here's the summary for Week 06, running from February 8 - 14. We logged 5431 minutes of eligible play, playing 64 games on a total of 18 systems.

Top 10:

1. Lunar: The Silver Star (Sega CD) - 1973 min.
2. Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Game Boy Color) - 630 min. (#2)
3. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 354 min. (#6)
4. Centipede (Arcade) - 224 min.
5. BurgerTime (Arcade) - 210 min.
6. Sonic Adventure (Dreamcast) - 190 min.
7. Berzerk (Atari 2600) - 145 min.
8. Venture (Atari 2600) - 129 min.
9. Akumajou Dracula X: Gekka no Yasoukyoku (JP version of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night) (Sega Saturn) - 113 min. (#9)
10. Wings (Amiga) - 99 min.

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 354 min. (PN#1)
2. Centipede (Arcade) - 224 min.
3. BurgerTime (Arcade) - 210 min.
4. Berzerk (Atari 2600) - 145 min.
5. Venture (Atari 2600) - 129 min.
6. Pac-Man Collection (Atari 7800) - 80 min.
7. Millipede (Atari 2600) - 61 min.
8. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 52 min. (PN#6)
9. Spy Hunter (ColecoVision) - 40 min. (PN#2)
10. Eggomania (Atari 2600) - 32 min.

Top 10 systems:

1. Sega CD (1973)
2. Atari 2600 (816) (#1)
3. Game Boy Color (630) (#6)
4. Arcade (581)
5. Dreamcast (357)
6. Amiga (232) (#9)
7. Sega Saturn (200) (#2)
8. Neo Geo AES/MVS (182) (#8)
9. Atari 7800 (100)
10. ColecoVision (85) (#3)

Out of almost nowhere, Lunar: The Silver Star is new to the tracker, almost enters the virtual "2000 Minute Club" on first visit and with 36% of the total minutes dominates the overall list. The margin for Solar Fox on the pre-NES is not nearly as huge, but still a bit over 2 hours ahead of Centipede. The systems list is of course dominated by the Sega CD, and just outside the list with 80 minutes we find a rare entry from the FM Towns.

No less than four new entries to the 1000 Minute Club:

#432 Lunar: The Silver Star (Sega CD) - 1973 min.
#433 BurgerTime (Arcade) - 1203 min.
#434 Venture (Atari 2600) - 1085 min.
#435 Sonic Adventure 2 (Dreamcast) - 1006 min.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 2/14/2021 at 2:34 PM, carlsson said:

Genesis:
Sonic the Hedgehog - 14 min.
Super Monaco GP - 2 min.

Glad to see you playing some genesis for the week. Those are two good games to play for that system as well. Also thanks for taking the time to add up the times for the week.

On 2/15/2021 at 6:56 PM, Skippy B. Coyote said:

Venture - 50 minutes

This looks like an interesting game, that kind of reminds me of Berzerk, although I could be wrong. I need to try it out sometime.

On 2/15/2021 at 1:29 PM, agb said:

Eggomania 32. Happy to score over 90,000. First time recently. 

Glad to see you achieved a high score of 90,000. For that game and Kaboom I would need to put in some time to get anywhere near half of that score.

On 2/15/2021 at 1:11 AM, wongojack said:

Spy Hunter 40

This looks like a fun version of the game for the Colecovision. The NES version was one of my brother and I's favorite games to play way back in the 80's. Maybe someone did a cheat code in the video I watched, but I found it interesting that after you crashed when the time ran out, you were still able to keep playing. Is that correct?

On 2/15/2021 at 10:16 AM, digdugnate said:

Burger Time

Just was wondering around what level you are getting to in this game? It seems like i need to improve my horrible skills to even make it past level 2.

On 2/15/2021 at 12:08 AM, thegoldenband said:

Sega Ages

This looks like a really interesting game to play. That power drift game looks pretty awesome.

On 2/15/2021 at 11:30 AM, Atarian7 said:

Atari 2600

Berzerk - 31 minutes

Kaboom! - 52 minutes

Solar Fox - 135 minutes

Venture - 3 minutes

That's one of the great things about this form. Allot of you guys have really introduced me to playing games like these and other great games for the Atari 2600.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Nintendo64 said:

Glad to see you playing some genesis for the week. Those are two good games to play for that system as well. Also thanks for taking the time to add up the times for the week.

This looks like an interesting game, that kind of reminds me of Berzerk, although I could be wrong. I need to try it out sometime.

Glad to see you achieved a high score of 90,000. For that game and Kaboom I would need to put in some time to get anywhere near half of that score.

This looks like a fun version of the game for the Colecovision. The NES version was one of my brother and I's favorite games to play way back in the 80's. Maybe someone did a cheat code in the video I watched, but I found it interesting that after you crashed when the time ran out, you were still able to keep playing. Is that correct?

Just was wondering around what level you are getting to in this game? It seems like i need to improve my horrible skills to even make it past level 2.

This looks like a really interesting game to play. That power drift game looks pretty awesome.

That's one of the great things about this form. Allot of you guys have really introduced me to playing games like these and other great games for the Atari 2600.

Usually I only manage between stages 6-8 if I'm having a 'good day'- one of the sites I used for strategy was https://strategywiki.org/wiki/BurgerTime/Walkthrough

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Nintendo64 said:

You saw correctly.  When you start a game of Spy Hunter, you can die/crash an infinite number of times before the time runs out.  When the time runs out if you've achieved a specific score then you earn either 1 additional car or 2.  You can earn even more additional cars at 30k, 60k, 90k, and 120k.

I have played all versions of Spy Hunter A LOT.  Earlier this year, I actually rented a Spy Hunter machine from an arcade that eventually went out of business due to COVID.  This is a game that got different treatment on the various home systems, but they are all remarkably pretty fun.  The NES version takes some liberties, but it is fun and they really take advantage of the two buttons on the controller well.  The C64 version is farther away from the arcade, but I still really enjoy playing it.  The 2600 version also manages to do a nice job with this game and is quite playable if you can manage working the 2nd joystick somehow.  However, the ColecoVision version really is a remarkable arcade adaptation.  They really did a nice job with this one from the way the pattern of the weapons vans matches the arcade all the way down to the music which I think might be a little "screechy" at times but is still quite good.  And if you happen to have a Super Action controller (I don't) then it is well utilized on this game.

• Like 4

On 2/19/2021 at 6:24 AM, digdugnate said:

Usually I only manage between stages 6-8 if I'm having a 'good day'- one of the sites I used for strategy was https://strategywiki.org/wiki/BurgerTime/Walkthrough

Wow that is really good to be able to reach those levels. Thank you for sharing that strategy guide, hopefully with that I will be able to see level 4 in Burgertime.

On 2/19/2021 at 10:50 AM, wongojack said:

You saw correctly.  When you start a game of Spy Hunter, you can die/crash an infinite number of times before the time runs out.  When the time runs out if you've achieved a specific score then you earn either 1 additional car or 2.  You can earn even more additional cars at 30k, 60k, 90k, and 120k.

I have played all versions of Spy Hunter A LOT.  Earlier this year, I actually rented a Spy Hunter machine from an arcade that eventually went out of business due to COVID.  This is a game that got different treatment on the various home systems, but they are all remarkably pretty fun.  The NES version takes some liberties, but it is fun and they really take advantage of the two buttons on the controller well.  The C64 version is farther away from the arcade, but I still really enjoy playing it.  The 2600 version also manages to do a nice job with this game and is quite playable if you can manage working the 2nd joystick somehow.  However, the ColecoVision version really is a remarkable arcade adaptation.  They really did a nice job with this one from the way the pattern of the weapons vans matches the arcade all the way down to the music which I think might be a little "screechy" at times but is still quite good.  And if you happen to have a Super Action controller (I don't) then it is well utilized on this game.

That is too funny. After all of these years I don't think I ever realized you can earn more lives in Spy Hunter if you reach a certain score, or at least I don't remember. I never really focused on getting points in the game, I always just tried avoiding cars most of the time and hoping to advance as far as I possibly could. I think there was one time my brother or I was able to the boat level once and we were amazed at the time. I also noticed the different adaptation of the music from the Colecovision version and the NES version, both of which are really enjoyable to listen to. That's also cool you were able to rent the arcade machine. I really miss the days when I was a kid and would go to the mall arcades, there was something special about those times.

Edited by Nintendo64
  • Like 3

Most of this week has been a bust because of power outages and having to shelter at a friend's house.  But I did go back and get my laptop the other day, but didn't play much...

SNES

Arcana - 30 min (Mainly just explored the current dungeon more and grinded for levels/money.  It's slow going because the enemies here are hitting me pretty hard sometimes.)

• Like 4

Terry Bogard didn't show up as much as I thought he would. He's still here, though.

Neo Geo AES/MVS
Real Bout Fatal Fury - 37

Dreamcast
Ikaruga - 6
Sonic Adventure - 440
Sonic Adventure 2 - 84

I don't care for the Tails/Eggman stages, but they aren't completely terrible. I hate the Knuckles/Rouge stages to the point where I immediately turn the game off when I get to one and come back a few days later to finish it. That means I only actually like 1/3 of this game, just like when I was a kid.
Xeno Crisis - 11

• Like 3

Atari 8-bit:
Qix 5200 - 69 min.

I've been debating with myself if I should list this as Atari 8-bit or as Atari 5200, since it is yet one more of the 5200 games once converted to run on the 8-bit. However since it strictly isn't the identical ROM/file that would run on a 5200 (real or emulated), I believe this still goes as a 8-bit game, just like many of those SG-1000/MSX etc conversions on the ColecoVision do and other examples.

At least the 5200 version of Qix is quite a different game from the A8 version, both released at the same time. Exactly why both versions exist remains to be found out. Also there is the back story whether or not Atari had exclusive rights to Qix, or if it just happened that no other publisher were interested in having licensed ports of the arcade game. There were a number of clones throughout the 1980's but Taito didn't release official versions for non-Atari systems until 1989 and forwards, a good half decade after it had hit the arcades. Given that the clones worked well, it couldn't be technical issues that limited it to Atari hardware in the beginning. There is at least one trail that Commodore early on in the MAX/C64 games development (Spring 1982) were seeking out to get a Qix game for their new systems but it seem to have lead nowhere. If it was due to other commitments, financing or the fact that Atari in the mean time actually may have signed an exclusive deal with Taito belongs to the list of questions that there doesn't seem to be an established answer for.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 3