IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2021 (Season 14)

carlsson

Here are my retro games for the Week

Atari 2600

Demon Attack          -10 Minutes     I really like these old Atari games that you try to make surpass your old high score. Growing up with the NES, I really didn't put much emphasis on trying to get high scores in games, but instead I just tried to advance as far as I could.

NES

Baseball Stars          -20 Minutes    This is a funny choice that I started to play because I haven't played a baseball game in a while. I always remember playing Major League Baseball for the NES when I was a kid, and that game will always be a nostalgic to me. This is a great game with very good controls, and I recommend it if you want to play a baseball game for the NES.

Galaga                      -10 Minutes   I can't seem to get anywhere near the 200,000 mark that I once almost achieved. These types of games are funny, because sometimes I can just get in the zone and reach high levels, but I can't really explain how it occurs. It's like out of the blue, for a brief period, I just seem to be able to control the game better and excel further in the game.

Spy Hunter               -15 Minutes    This game is a classic that I am trying to get better at playing.. I need to find the best medium between the fast/slow pace while trying not to crash into the other cars.

Sega Genesis

Final Fight                 -25 Minutes      There is something about the contol mechanics that makes it really fun to punch and kick the characters. Hopefully I can finish this game one day because I really do enjoy playing it.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, agb said:

Nice Solar Fox score.  I always find rack 18 to be toughest getting a skip a rack.

I didn't notice your Subterrania scoe on the HSC list this week.

I didn't post one for Subterrania.  I ran out of time.

What are you doing on 18?   I thought you always got "skip a rack".  

Rack 13 is tough because the timer is faster.  I can be patient on 18 and get it, but I find that on 13 I have to take more risks.

Edited by Atarian7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Atarian7 said:

I didn't post one for Subterrania.  I ran out of time.

What are you doing on 18?   I thought you always got "skip a rack".  

Rack 13 is tough because the timer is faster.  I can be patient on 18 and get it, but I find that on 13 I have to take more risks.

I can often go 60 racks without seeing an even number rack but my goal each rack is to finish the rack and be able to read "Skip A" and I can never do that on rack 18.  I often do on rack 13.

• Like 1

Here's the summary for Week 09, running from March 1 - 7. We logged 4899 minutes of eligible play, playing 79 games on a total of 18 systems.

Top 10:

1. Lunar: Eternal Blue (Sega CD) - 1106 min. (#1)
2. Samurai Shodown (Genesis) - 306 min.
3. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 300 min. (#4)
4. Tetris (NES/Famicom) - 252 min.
5. Subterranea (Atari 2600) - 191 min.
6. Street Fighter II: Special Champion Edition  (Genesis) - 165 min.
6. Wings (Amiga) - 165 min. (#3)
8. Midnight Mutants (Atari 7800) - 161 min. (#9)
9. Montezuma's Revenge (C64) - 141 min.
10. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 129 min.

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 300 min. (PN#1)
2. Subterranea (Atari 2600) - 191 min. (PN#9)
3. Midnight Mutants (Atari 7800) - 161 min. (PN#4)
4. Montezuma's Revenge (C64) - 141 min.
5. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 129 min. (PN#3)
6. Quartz's Quest (Vectrex) - 120 min.
7. Montezuma's Revenge (Atari 2600) - 94 min.
8. Pac-Man Collection (Atari 7800) - 67 min. (PN#5)
9. Eggomania (Atari 2600) - 61 min.
10. Ms. Pac-Man (Atari 2600) - 60 min.
10. Pac-Man (Atari 2600) - 60 min.

Top 10 systems:

1. Sega CD (1106) (#1)
2. Atari 2600 (1089) (#2)
3. Genesis (833) (#3)
4. NES/Famicom (359) (#7)
5. C64 (317)
6. Atari 7800 (276) (#6)
7. Game Gear (180)
8. Amiga (165) (#4)
9. Vectrex (140)
10. Atari Lynx (120)

For the second week in a row, Lunar: Eternal Blue is the most played game, by a margin of exactly 800 minutes ahead of Samurai Shodown which is just ahead of Solar Fox, which in its turn still subscribes to the #1 place on the pre-NES list. On the systems list, the Sega CD for the fourth consecutive week becomes the most played, though the margin down to the Atari 2600 is a mere 17 minutes this time. No new entries to the 1000 Minute Club etc.

In case anyone was late to posting, or just noticed this topic, feel free to post your minutes (or estimates) in a format like above, and I'll add those for next week.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/8/2021 at 1:05 AM, wongojack said:

Commie Mutants from OS

I spent time playing a number of different systems. 

Commie Mutants from OS looks like a really fun game. The great thing about this thread is that you are able to see the different games that people are playing and then try them out for yourself. This week I am kind of doing the same thing, I am playing various systems as well.

On 3/8/2021 at 9:52 AM, Atarian7 said:

I got a new high on Solar Fox : 1,372,400 

Congratulations on achieving such a high score. I just can't see me getting near a quarter of that in my lifetime.

On 3/8/2021 at 12:23 AM, agb said:

Tetris 252 mins. Hoping to get back to where I used to be. 

This is such a great game to play at any time. For some reason allot of people like Dr. Mario over this game, but I always preferred Tetris over Dr. Mario on the NES.

On 3/7/2021 at 10:13 AM, Steven Pendleton said:

The music in this is terrible and I won in only 2 minutes and the credits played. I guess that means I beat the game.

That is funny that you beat a game so quickly. Also I just watched a video of the game, and that could be the worst-music/sound-effects combination I have ever heard in a video game.

On 3/9/2021 at 3:36 PM, carlsson said:

Here's the summary for Week 09, running from March 1 - 7. We logged 4899 minutes of eligible play, playing 79 games on a total of 18 systems.

As always Thanks for taking the time to post the minutes for the week.

Edited by Nintendo64
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Don't worry, I can make it worse:

Yup your right, that is worse. I don't know how anyone could listen to the full 3 minutes and 49 seconds of that. I couldn't close the page quick enough after hearing that disastrous music, if you can call it that.

Edited by Nintendo64
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

My stats for the last week (does it roll over on Thursday?):

Vectrex:

KnightEx (15 minutes)

Game Boy:

Lunar Journey (45 minutes)

Dragonborne (3 hours/180 minutes)

Atari Lynx:

unnamed (4 hours/240 minutes)

Sega Game Gear:

Wolfchild (20 minutes)

Ernie Els Golf (10 minutes)

Sega CD:

Rise of the Dragon (15 minutes)

Puggsy (30 minutes)

Jaguar XJ220 (30 minutes)

BC Racers (10 minutes)

Misadventures of Flink (5 minutes)

Sega 32X:

Virtua Fighter (60 minutes)

Primal Rage (20 minutes)

Quarterback Club (10 minutes)

Metal Head (30 minutes)

BC Racers (10 minutes)

Mortal Kombat 2 (10 minutes)

Sega Genesis:

Burning Force (45 minutes)

Tanglewood (35 minutes)

Puggsy (10 minutes)

Primal Rage (10 minutes)

• Like 4

Well, not many exciting things happened other than Terry showing up again. Yay~

Genesis/MD
Gleylancer - 21

Arcade
Sonic the Hedgehog - 22

Did you know that there is an arcade version of Sonic 1? You do now~ This runs on the Sega Mega Play arcade machine. They took Sonic 1, removed all of the stages that everyone hates (Marble, Labyrinth, and Scrap Yard Act 3), removed the special stages and the Chaos Emeralds, and gave each stage a strict time limit of about 1~3 minutes or so. Other than that, it's still Sonic 1 and it's still easy, so everyone can 1CC or even no-miss this on their very first time playing it.
Space Harrier - 4

FC/NES
Akumajou Densetsu - 10

Neo Geo AES/MVS
Garou: Mark of the Wolves - 20
Real Bout Fatal Fury - 21

• Like 3

On 3/13/2021 at 12:25 AM, Nintendo64 said:

Yup your right, that is worse. I don't know how anyone could listen to the full 3 minutes and 49 seconds of that. I couldn't close the page quick enough after hearing that disastrous music, if you can call it that.

lol CrazyBus is a disaster. I am fairly certain that it's the worst game ever made, but calling it a game is way too generous given that all you do is move the bus left and right. That's it. Nothing else to do, so the only real reason to play it is to hear the cacophony of the title screen.

On 3/13/2021 at 5:19 AM, carlsson said:

Crazy Bus... was the music made by Jim Cuomo or some Japanese trying to mimic him?

Also @Nintendo64, the music in the video Steven posted fades out already at 2:35 so there is more than a minute of soothing silence in that video.

I'm not really sure what the exact story of CrazyBus is, but I have played it several times... and am currently not planning on playing it just for the lols of having it in the tracker. It's not worthy of that and I don't want to make my Nomad hate me by making its YM3438 suffer by being forced to make those title screen noises.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

My stats for the last week (does it roll over on Thursday?):

We count times from Monday to Sunday, meaning that most will post on Sunday evening local time or sometime during the following Monday. For those who forgot to post, we accept catch-up times from the last few weeks or whichever seems reasonable. The only exception is at the end of the year where we tend to either extend the second last week by a few days, or run a shorter week in order to line up times in the period January 1 - December 31. However some people tend to forget about that so there will still be some overlap at the beginning of a new year with times relating to the previous one.

Also, here is my small amount of game playing for the past week:

Atari 8-bit:
Frogger [Sierra On-Line] - 64 min.

• Like 2

Here are my times for this past week (March 8th through 14th, 2021) on classic systems:

Commodore 64:

Aquantor - 23 min.

This week I played one classic game, Aquantor on the Commodore 64. This was a game by Happy Software, a label from Markt & Technik where they capitalized software sent in by the readers of their mags. It has an interesting concept where you have to build walls in order to prevent water from flooding the whole screen. Sadly, there are at most 10 different screens, and also the game concept gets old pretty fast. Still that was one of the games I would have liked to try back in the day, but I couldn't get it easily so this week was actually the first time I got to play it. Actually it was on a list I found containing such games, and it was one of those I didn't get back then.

• Like 4

My times for the week:

Atari 7800:
Double Dragon - 26 min.
Food Fight - 5 min.

Ikari Warriors - 8 min.

Tank Command - 136 min.
Water Ski - 3 min.

3DO:
Iron Angel of the Apocalypse - 534 min.

Saturn:
Golden Axe: The Duel - 39 min.

Beat Tank Command and Iron Angel of the Apocalypse (thoughts here), and also completed Golden Axe: The Duel on Easy with "Gillius" [sic].

• Like 3

Here are my retro games for the week.

Atari 2600

Communist Mutants from Space      -45 Minutes   This game is another shooter that is very fun and challenging to play. Thanks to wongjack for making me aware of this game.

Demon Attack                                    -10 Minutes   This game is a classic, and I can pick it up and play at anytime. Its funny that people are always saying that allot of NES games are difficult, and they are, but there are so many challenging Atari games that I have come to know as well.

Solar Fox                                           -10 Minutes    I reached level 10, and I think this was the furthest I have gotten in the game. I don't think I will ever be able to reach the scores the other players in this thread have achieved, but I still enjoy trying.

NES

Castlevania                                       -10 Minutes    The gothic horror scenes in this game will always stick with me. I have always enjoyed playing this game since I was a kid, and I will always remember this and Dracula's Curse the most.

Ghosts' N Goblins                             -15 Minutes  I have a few memories watching my brother play this game when I was really young, and I remember playing it as I got older. I really think the best way to play this game is to get the knife, because the fire weapon is horrible, and it is really difficult to beat some of the boss characters with the spear.

Kung Fu                                            -10 Minutes      I think I get the same kind of feeling playing this game as I do Final Fight. There is something about the controls that makes it really fun to kick and punch the characters.

Super Mario 3                                   -15 Minutes There is not really much I can say about this game that hasn't already been said. This game is a classic, and in my opinion the controls are the best it is going to get on the NES.

TurboGrafx 16 

Galaga 90                                         -15 Minutes  This is a very colorful version of Galaga that is really enjoyable to play. The explosions are different for some of the enemies, but it still has that same high difficulty-level/fun-factor that the Galaga series always delivers.

Sega Genesis

NBA Hangtime                                -10 Minutes  This is a really fun game that I remember renting as a kid and is similar to NBA Jam. I remember playing NBA Jam in the arcades, and always thought it was a great game. When I bought NBA Jam tournament addition for the Sega Genesis, I will always remember trying to find the non existent code to get Michael Jordan in the game.

PS1

Asteroids                                       -15 Minutes     I think I've said this before, but this is my favorite version of Asteroids. I highly recommend it if you have never played this game.

NBA Hangtime                              -35 Minutes    This is a really fun game to play, and I believe it is better version than its Genesis counterpart.  It obviously has better graphics than the Genesis version, and does a better job in the audio department as well.

N64

Waverace                                      -15 Minutes    I will always remember seeing this game as a kid for the first time, and couldn't wait to buy a N64 for the new type of 3d games it was offering. The water effects/graphics in this game always impressed me back then, and still do to this day.

Edited by Nintendo64
  • Like 4

On 3/14/2021 at 11:30 AM, Steven Pendleton said:

lol CrazyBus is a disaster. I am fairly certain that it's the worst game ever made, but calling it a game is way too generous given that all you do is move the bus left and right. That's it. Nothing else to do, so the only real reason to play it is to hear the cacophony of the title screen.

Did you know that there is an arcade version of Sonic 1? You do now~ This runs on the Sega Mega Play arcade machine. They took Sonic 1, removed all of the stages that everyone hates (Marble, Labyrinth, and Scrap Yard Act 3), removed the special stages and the Chaos Emeralds, and gave each stage a strict time limit of about 1~3 minutes or so. Other than that, it's still Sonic 1 and it's still easy, so everyone can 1CC or even no-miss this on their very first time playing it.

Yeah that Crazybus game is horrible and looks really boring to play.

Its funny you mention that about the Sonic Arcade game. The only reason I knew it existed was because I heard the Sonic music on an X Files episode called D.P.O. that was shot at an Arcade. I did not know any of the interesting facts that you stated about the game though. Actually I don't even remember seeing the game on the show, I only remember hearing the music in the background coming from one of the Arcade machines.

On 3/12/2021 at 3:19 PM, carlsson said:

Also @Nintendo64, the music in the video Steven posted fades out already at 2:35 so there is more than a minute of soothing silence in that video.

That is funny. After hearing that horrible mess for 2 and a half minutes, that silence must have been calming.

Edited by Nintendo64
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Nintendo64 said:

Here are my retro games for the week.

Atari 2600

Demon Attack                                    -10 Minutes   This game is a classic, and I can pick it up and play at anytime. Its funny that people always saying that allot of NES games are difficult, and they are, but there are so many challenging Atari games that I have come to know as well.

Communist Mutants from Space      -45 Minutes   This game is another shooter that is very fun and challenging to play.Thanks to wongjack for making me aware of this game.

It is a great game.  I like all the menu options they added.  A lot of people on these boards know about it, but outside of AtariAge it is a hidden gem for sure.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, carlsson said:

This remix isn't so bad (and besides, I apologize for writing Japan before when I meant Venezuela).

You are right, that is a much better version than the original that's for sure. I hope that person from Venezuela didn't try to make it in the music business, but maybe he got better as time went on.

11 minutes ago, wongojack said:

It is a great game.  I like all the menu options they added.  A lot of people on these boards know about it, but outside of AtariAge it is a hidden gem for sure.

Yeah I had a really good time playing it, and I found it really challenging as well. I need to try the different menu options, as for I just played it on the default game 1 mode. It's funny because ever since joining this thread, Atari 2600 has become one of my favorite systems to play over the past year.

Edited by Nintendo64
  • Like 3

Atari 2600

Ms Galactopus 19 

Colecovision 

Beamrider 21 

Mecha 8 8 

Montezuma's Revenge 6 

Oil's Well 19 

Sydney Hunter Caverns of Death 79 

C64 

Buggy Boy 34 

Montezuma's Revenge 110 

Santron 18 

Snokie 36 

Spy Hunter 13 

Intellivision 

80s Hits V1 8 

Astrosmash / Meteor 55 

Battle Ship 6 

Beamrider 30 

Beauty and the Beast 31 

Christmas Carol vs 50 

Copter Command 52 

Deep Zone 24 

Depth of Nitemare 7 

Inty Basic Showcase V2 24 

Intylander 6 

IntyPak 10 

GoSub 84 

Laser Sharks 2 

Midspace 7 

Moon Blast 26 

Smurf Gargamel's Castle 12 

Space Cunt 26 

Space Patrol 15 

Space Raid 2 

Super Pixel Brothers 10 

Sydney Hunter Sacred Tribe 14 

Tag-Along Todd 6 

Turbo 15 

Upmonsters 7 

Zyx 7 

I had a lot of variety this week . . . where do I start?

I guess most of my time is on Montezuma's Revenge and its spiritual successors that include Sydney Hunter.  The Commodore 64 version of Montezuma's Revenge continues to be my favorite while the Colecovision version was rendered almost unplayable by "jumpy" controls.  It's weird but it is really hard to control your character on the Coleco version.  Sydney Hunter Caverns of Death continues to be a PitA.  I only went back because I got a new SNES joystick that I can use on the Collectorvision Phoenix, and I wanted to see if a new controller helped with that game.  It sorta did.

I also dug in and set up my LTO Flash cart for the Intellivision.  I spent a lot of time this week hunting for places where free roms were posted, and I found a bunch of homebrews and demos.   Christmas Carol is an old favorite of this tracker and while Copter Command may not have had time tracked yet, it is an Inty version of the Atari 2600's Chopper Command and should be familiar.  The real surprise was GoSub which I had never played on any system.  It looks like it would be kinda cheap and not very entertaining, but I got sucked in trying to get through all the levels.  It isn't a very hard game, so it was kinda fun to chill out with it a little.  Apparently it is available on tons of other systems, but I don't remember ever playing it.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Nintendo64 said:

Yeah I had a really good time playing it, and I found it really challenging as well. I need to try the different menu options, as for I just played it on the default game 1. It's funny because ever since joining this thread, Atari 2600 has become one of my favorite systems to play over the past year.

Manual is here on AtariAge if you want to know what the options do:  AtariAge - Atari 2600 Manuals - Communist Mutants from Space (Starpath)

• Like 2