IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2021 (Season 14)

carlsson

1 hour ago, Skippy B. Coyote said:

As a Game Boy and Game Boy Color collector there was always one game I wanted for my collection that was simply out of reach due to it's price, going for around $700 for a loose cart or $2,000 complete with box and manual, so as soon as Limited Run announced that they were doing an officially licensed reprint of Shantae for the Game Boy Color I knew I had to get one! Limited Run did an outstanding job on the cartridge, box, and manual and everything looks and feels exactly like the Game Boy Color boxes, manuals, and carts from the late 90's and early 2000's. They really pulled a John Hammond on this one and spared no expense, and for the $45 it set me back this will be a priceless addition to my Game Boy Color library. It's turning out to be a heck of a lot of fun to play too! :D

1182734662_20210520112510_IMG_03982.JPG.64a5b377550d0165b7176f50f93a984c.thumb.JPG.41af744b9b53bf24ef72bc121212c784.JPG

59395589_20210520113020_IMG_04342.JPG.178ae1439e0661735033f0a08dba82b2.thumb.JPG.e036833d34383b9a4ebc31ace41815ae.JPG

These are shipping?? I wonder if mine was slowed down by something else I ordered.

• Like 2

Here's the summary for Week 20, running from May 17 - 23. We logged 5640 minutes of eligible play, playing 82 games on a total of 17 systems.

Top 10:

1. Final Fantasy III (VI) (SNES) - 1320 min.
2. Suikoden II (PlayStation) - 571 min. (#1)
3. Final Fantasy V (SNES) - 390 min.
4. Last Strike (Atari Jaguar) - 240 min.
5. Hexcite: The Shapes of Victory (Game Boy Color) - 180 min. (#9)
6. Thunder Force IV (Sega Saturn) - 160 min.
7. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 151 min. (#4)
8. Shantae (Game Boy Color) - 148 min.
9. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 132 min. (#5)
10. Double Dragon 3: The Arcade Game (Game Boy) - 123 min.

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 151 min. (PN#1)
2. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 132 min. (PN#2)
3. Pac-Man Collection (Atari 7800) - 109 min. (PN#4)
4. Jr. Pac-Man (Arcade 1983) - 106 min. (PN#7)
5. Spike's Peak (Atari 2600) - 73 min.
6. Fire Truck (Arcade 1978) - 49 min.
7. Space Duel (Arcade 1982) - 37 min.
8. Shootin' Gallery (Atari 2600) - 36 min.
9. California Games (Atari 2600) - 30 min.
10. Monte Carlo (Atari) (Arcade 1980) - 29 min.

Top 10 systems:

1. SNES (1710)
2. Atari 2600 (640) (#1)
3. PlayStation (571) (#2)
4. Arcade (414) (#10)
5. Game Boy (393)
6. Sega Saturn (363) (#3)
7. Game Boy Color (343)
8. Atari Jaguar (290) (#4)
9. Genesis (277)
10. Game Gear (200) (#5)

Suikoden II yet again provides many minutes, but this time falls short to Final Fantasy III (VI) which grabs #1 with the prequel/sequel Final Fantasy V in third place. The top of the pre-NES list is pretty much the same as last week, and the list is padded with a few really old arcade games. Systems wise, the SNES thanks to the two FF titles takes the crown ahead of the 2600 and PlayStation.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles [aka Complete Version] on the Genesis becomes the 33rd game to enter the 5000 minute club with a total of 5031 minutes. It is the third Genesis game to reach this milestone, bypassing e.g. Warrior of Rome II and Phantasy Star III on its way.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

A decent amount of systems, not a lot of time.

Genesis/MD
Darius Extra Version - 6
Sonic 3 & Knuckles - 23
Time Dominator - 6
I found out that it's actually possible to get stuck in this game simply due to the occasionally questionable level design and poor physics trapping you and you have to wait to time over and die to get unstuck. Got stuck after 6 minutes, so I turned the game off. Also, this game doesn't work properly on real hardware (and I do mean real hardware; it works fine on the Mega Sg but not on any of the 3 real Japanese Mega Drives that I tested it on) if you use a Retro-Bit wireless controller, so I emailed them about it and they are checking it now.
Thunder Force IV - 86

PC Engine CD
Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire - 25

PC Engine
Darius Alpha - 8
Image Fight - 5
R-Type I - 9

SuperGrafx
1941 Counter Attack - 35

I finally beat this game. It's by far the best game on the SuperGrafx and I would say that you absolutely need to buy this game if you have a SuperGrafx, but it's unfortunately cheaper to buy the real arcade PCB and play the real version than it is to buy the (excellent) SuperGrafx port.

Arcade
Thunder Force AC - 87

Neo Geo AES/MVS
Metal Slug - 7

Arcade
Space Harrier - 2
Sonic the Hedgehog - 22

FDS
Akumajou Dracula - 6

• Like 5

Was going to try to do a 2600 stream on Twitch this week, but couldn't get the sound to work properly.  No idea what was going on with it.  Think it was a problem with the capture card.  Anyway, in trying to set things up, I played a little...

Frogger - 5 min

Sky Jinks - 5 min

Coco Nuts - 5 min

• Like 5

Here are my times for this past week (May 24th through 30th) on classic systems...

Arcade:

Jr. Pac-Man - 54 min. in 2 sessions

Time Pilot - 11 min.

Commodore 64:

Space-Pilot II - 106 min. in 3 sessions

This week I continued to play Jr. Pac-Man, but I only played 2 sessions of it. Then I tried Time Pilot for a short session again, after which I switched to Space-Pilot II, which is the sequel of a Time Pilot clone on the C-64. Compared to the original, it's much slower, and there are fewer enemies on the screen at once, but they and also your ship are bigger. Also you can't turn very fast, so it's more difficult to avoid the enemies and their fire. They also pester you with shots that rather quickly change direction every now and then. I managed to reach the 6th round out of 8. Like the sequel in the arcade (which I've yet to try) Space-Pilot II displays a solid background instead of the clouds.

• Like 6

Edit: aw heck, this is probably close enough. If I missed something I will add it to next week.

PC Engine:

Mr HELI - 35 minutes

Such frustrating fun!

Gradius - 15 minutes

Supergrafx:

Aldynes - 15 minutes (on Turbografx Mini)

is this super hard or do I just not know how to play it?

Jaguar:

Mr. HELI - 20 minutes

Leave it to the PC Engine.

Phase Zero - 15 minutes

I wish this were a complete game.

Last Strike - 45 minutes

Arena Football ‘95 - 60 minutes (trying to figure out what parts are broken and what parts are arena football rules I don’t know)

Breakout 2000 - 75 minutes (high score challenge)

I am finally learning this game. I like it a lot.

Lynx:

Rampart - 60 minutes (high score challenge)

The OG Lynx screen is so much better than the Game Gear’s it’s not even funny. What a great piece of hardware.

Game Boy:

Xenon 2 Megablast - 25 minutes

Verrrrry slow, but everything seems to be there.

Genesis:

Xenon 2 Megablast - 20 minutes

Sol Deace - 10 minutes

Vapor Trail - 10 minutes

Sega CD:

Sol Feace - 20 minutes

This really seems identical to the Genesis game other than soundtrack. Is it?

Robo Aleste - 15 minutes

Wow, this is… not what I’m used to for an Aleste game.

Android Assault: the Revenge if Bari-Arm - 15 minutes

Soulstar - 35 minutes

sooooo good. Sooooo hard to line up shots on the planet.

Silpheed - 25 minutes

32X:

NBA Jam - 15 minutes

Kolibri - 20 minutes

Game Gear:

GG Aleste - 15 minutes

Tiger R-Zone:

I ummmm bought a Super Screen. It’s pretty cool, actually. Watch for a review on the R-Zone thread. I just wish I had more overlay slides.

Battle Arena Toshinden - 15 minutes. This really does play well for an LCD fighting game.

Primal Rage - 15 minutes. Such a confusing game, to the point I thought the controls were broken.

Panzer Dragoon - 20 minutes. Yeah, probably the reason to own an R-Zone if there is a reason.

Star Wars Millenium Falcon Challenge - 20 minutes. This probably features the fastest animation on the R Zone, with TIE fighters just screaming by. Blowing up the star destroyer was… not something that happened in the movies but it was pretty fun. I wish I had a space-themed filter slide for this one.

• Like 4

Fairly standard time wise, but a good week for gaming around here this week! I spent most of the week just working on doing a 100% secrets playthrough of the classic Doom II on the Switch, and playing a bunch of arcade games here and there. The highlights of the week for me were Shao-Lin's Road, which is undoubtedly my third favorite classic golden age arcade game (just behind Ms. Pac-Man and Centipede), and Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom which I had heard good things about but never played before until this morning. After half a dozen or so games of Shao-Lin's Road I managed to best my all time high score of 230,000 or so with a new personal best of 307,100 and was totally stoked to have made it that far!

D&D: Tower of Doom was just an all around amazing game that was simple to pick up and play but really captured the feel of the D&D universe, and it wasn't too difficult to play all the way through... though to be fair I do have my arcade cabinet set to free play and having unlimited continues always helps in any beat 'em up game :lol: I tried out the sequel D&D: Shadow Over Mystara and liked it  quite a bit as well, though the difficulty level felt way higher and the game seemed like it was really designed to be played with 2 or more players. The first game Tower of Doom is definitely a fair and fun single player experience, but I don't think I'd want to play the sequel again without some help from a friend.

All in all, a fun week of gaming!

IMG_0564.thumb.JPG.eddd9eb05e88290d8392be0812b9dcf5.JPG

Ineligible

Doom II [Classic] (Nintendo Switch) - 455 minutes

Arcade

Aliens - 55 minutes

Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom - 98 minutes

Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow Over Mystara - 29 minutes

Frogger - 8 minutes

Galaxian - 4 minutes

Ms. Pac-Man - 6 minutes

Scramble - 11 minutes

Shao-Lin's Road - 54 minutes

Space Invaders DX - 16 minutes

Splatterhouse - 16 minutes

Street Fighter Alpha 3 - 20 minutes

Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike - 17 minutes

Super Space Invaders '91 - 10 minutes

Neo Geo MVS/AES

Samurai Shodown - 16 minutes

Sega Genesis

Mortal Kombat - 26 minutes

Pirates! Gold - 86 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week

927 minutes (15 hours 27 minutes) [472 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

Nintendo Switch: 455 minutes

Arcade: 344 minutes

Sega Genesis: 112 minutes

Neo Geo MVS/AES: 16 minutes

Edited by Skippy B. Coyote
  • Like 5

Soldier Blade (PC Engine) 35 mins

Gunhed (PC Engine) 15 mins

Bomberman '93 (PC Engine) 17 mins

Lords of Thunder (PC Engine CD) 14 mins

Nexzr (PC Engine CD) 9 mins

Seirei Senshi Spriggan (PC Engine CD) 12 mins

Legion (PC Engine CD) 10 mins - The English voice overs are cool but since they start during gameplay it is very distracting.

Hellfire S (PC Engine CD) 18 mins - My first time playing any version of Hellfire. I like it. The weapon swapping the directions of fire reminds me of NanoStray on DS, though this is horizontal instead of vertical. 

• Like 5

22 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Aldynes - 15 minutes (on Turbografx Mini)

is this super hard or do I just not know how to play it?

Likely a combination of both. It takes a little to learn how to play the game, but it is actually fairly difficult and there are no difficulty settings (though there is a sound test so you can listen to the game's awesome music). I've never made it past stage 4. I think. Probably. Or maybe I did, but I don't remember. I should GET TRY! again and see if I can get farther. I want to finish every SuperGrafx game and this and Daimakaimura are up next, as I really don't care for the other 2 options, which I am not looking forward to.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here's the summary for Week 21, running from May 24 - 30. We logged 3670 minutes of eligible play, playing 87 games on a total of 18 systems.

Top 10:

1. Final Fantasy V (SNES) - 840 min. (#3)
2. Snoopy's Magic Show (Game Boy) - 157 min.
3. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 145 min. (#9)
4. Square Deal: The Game of Two Dimensional Poker (Game Boy) - 107 min.
5. Space Pilot II (C64) - 106 min.
6. Eggomania (Atari 2600) - 105 min.
7. Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom (Arcade) - 98 min.
8. Hyper Lode Runner (Game Boy) - 88 min.
9. Thunder Force AC (Arcade) - 87 min.
10. Pirates! Gold (Genesis) - 86 min.
10. Thunder Force IV / Lightening Force: Quest for the Darkstar (Genesis) - 86 min.

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 145 min. (PN#2)
2. Space Pilot II (C64) - 106 min.
3. Eggomania (Atari 2600) - 105 min.
4. Yars' Revenge (Atari 2600) - 75 min.
5. Super Cobra (Atari 2600) - 74 min.
6. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 70 min. (PN#1)
7. Millipede (Arcade) - 62 min.
8. Demons to Diamonds (Atari 2600) - 55 min.
9. Jr. Pac-Man (Arcade) - 54 min. (PN#4)
9. Shao-Lin's Road (aka Kicker) (Arcade 1985) - 54 min.

Top 10 systems:

1. SNES (840) (#1)
2. Atari 2600 (627) (#2)
3. Arcade (602) (#4)
4. Game Boy (377) (#5)
5. Genesis (273) (#9)
6. Atari Jaguar (215) (#8)
7. TG-16/PC Engine (139)
8. Sega CD (110)
9. C64 (106)
10. TG-CD/PC Engine CD (88)

This week, Final Fantasy V on the SNES becomes the most played game by a margin of almost 11.5 hours ahead of Snoopy's Magic Show and Solar Fox. For once 86 minutes - which is just minute short of the number of games played - is enough to enter the overall top 10. On the pre-NES list, the same Solar Fox is 40 minutes ahead of Space Pilot II and Eggomania. The dominance of Final Fantasy V also pays off on the systems list, with the SNES still as the most played system.

Breakout 2000 (Atari Jaguar) becomes member #449 in the 1000 Minute Club with a total of 1068 minutes. It is the 7th Jaguar game to exceed 1000 minutes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I probably spend between 4-15 hours a week on the bartop machine I built running raspberry pi.

I cannot get enough of the 1970s through mid 1990's coin ops.

The past 2 weeks, I have been playing all sorts of game starting with 'S'.  I usually pick a letter and play a bunch and shoot for some high scores.  I spend s lot of time tweaking the controls, adding personal descriptions and looking at dip switch settings too

Coin op games from the golden age of the arcade have aged like a fine wine.

• Like 3

Feel free putting together a list next Sunday/Monday. It doesn't have to be exact to the minutes, just what you feel are honest estimates on which games and formats you have been playing. Since you're emulating on a Pi, I would suppose you can be playing pretty much any system but perhaps your main focus would be arcade games through MAME.

(This applies to anyone, of course)

• Like 5

On 5/31/2021 at 4:05 PM, jgkspsx said:

Aldynes

Okay, yeah, so I just played Aldynes for like 3 hours straight and I kind of hate this game now. It seems the final boss can only be damaged by the single worst weapon in the game (lol) and if you die at the final boss, the game only gives you 1 speed powerup, which is not really enough to avoid the final boss' insanely fast bending lasers. I gave up after being stuck on him for like an hour and turned off my SuperGrafx. Screw this game. I'll beat it eventually, but not now.

By the way, the powerups seem to be random. You'll get a different set every time you turn your SuperGrafx on. What the hell. Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

(Including my times which I forgot to register here in the previous week)

ATARI 2600:

Robot City (for HSC) - 15 minutes

Super Cobra (for HSC) - 20 minutes

The End 2600 (for HSC) - 20 minutes

Tower of Rubble (for HSC) - 13 minutes

ATARI 7800:

Motor Psycho (for HSC) - 10 minutes

Pac-Man Collection - 75 minutes

COLECOVISION:

Root Beer Tapper (for HSC) - 10 minutes

Sir Lancelot (for HSC) - 7 minutes

• Like 4

Not much here this time.

PC Engine
Castlevania - 1

This is a maybe-illegal port of the NA NES version of Castlevania to the PC Engine that someone made. It is legal to do stuff like this? I don't know, but apparently someone didn't care about that because they made it anyway. Anyway, I was doing fine until a zombie in the first level dropped the stupid clock on me and I lost the holy water after only playing the game for like 45 seconds, so I turned off my SuperGrafx.

PC Engine CD
R-Type Complete CD - 5 (estimate...?)

Uh... so yeah, I keep all of my times saved in 2 notepad things on my desktop (one for old, one for less old/new) and apparently I never bothered to actually save my old games file after recording my time. No idea how far I even got, but I think I accidentally crashed into the stage 2 boss and died, so let's say 5 minutes, I suppose. By the way, the music in this version is garbage, so don't play it. If you want to play a home version since you probably don't have the PCB in your house, the PS1 port on the R-Types compilation is the absolute best way to do it, especially as the version of R-Type II on R-Types is actually superior to the arcade version... and harder, if you can believe that. There are no home versions of R-Type or R-Type II that are superior to the ones on R-Types.
Shin Megami Tensei - 2
No kanji = lol nope do not want.

SuperGrafx
Aldynes - 158

You know how I feel about this game. If you make it to the last boss, be sure to bring that stupid bouncing laser thing because that is apparently the only weapon that can damage it.
Battle Ace - 10
Daimakaimura - 25

Arcade
Thunder Force AC - 12

• Like 4

Atari 8-bit:
Amphibian - 6 min.
Bug Off - 16 min.
Chicken (Stan Ockers) - 22 min.
Equestrian - 28 min.
Hazard Run - 13 min.
Hover Bovver - 19 min.
Whomper Stomper - 5 min.

So we're playing a half dozen different games in the current A8 HSC round, thematically called The Great Outdoors. Individually the games are quite different from eachother, with varying replay qualities but it should keep us occupied for another two weeks.

• Like 3