IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2021 (Season 14)

carlsson

My times for the week:

Atari 2600:
GoSub - 21 min.

MC-10:
Dr. Livingston: In Search of… [aka African Adventure] - 76 min.

Genesis:

The Adventures of Rocky & Bullwinkle - 26 min.
The Flintstones - 94 min.
Syd of Valis - 65 min.
Vapor Trail - 144 min. 

Beat The Flintstones on Normal and Hard (with the default number of lives), Syd of Valis, Dr. Livingston: In Search of..., and GoSub (on the higher difficulty setting).

Didn't get a perfect score in Dr. Livingston -- probably the preferred name for this version of the game, by the way -- but we (me and my wife) aren't going to bother trying for perfection in a text adventure with so much randomness.

I also beat Vapor Trail on Easy/5 Credits, Easy/3 Credits, and Hard/5 Credits. However I suspect Hard/3 Credits is the definitive difficulty for the game (the lifestock system only offers 3 or 5 as options).

So unlike the Flintstones -- which I'm not likely to bother trying to beat with 0 starting lives! -- I want to take Vapor Trail down on the max difficulty before I call it done, though I have no desire to try for a 1CC.

• Like 6

I've been on kind of an NES kick lately, exploring classic NES games I had never really played before via Nintendo Switch Online and a couple different game compilations on the Switch, and I played some really great ones this week! Contra was the big one that I spent the most time with, first beating it with the 30 lives cheat then seeing if I could beat it normally without cheating. I never was able to get past Stage 5 without cheats, but I'm gonna keep trying on and off until I do! The sequel Super C was a lot of fun too, though it felt way harder than the original, and I really enjoyed Double Dragon II as well. That's a tough one that it seems like it's going to take me a long time to beat, but it's also just a really fun and well made game so I think I'll be coming back to it quite a bit in the future. On the flip side, I don't think I really cared for River City Ransom. I get what they were going for, a beat 'em up RPG sorta hybrid game, but it just wasn't quite my cup of tea.

One game I did beat without cheats this week though was Bust-A-Move Again (known as Puzzle Bobble 2 outside of the US) on the Neo Geo MVS! I played through and beat both the VS mode and the puzzle mode, and man is that game ever fun. I played the original Bust-A-Move quite a bit as well, though my legs were getting pretty tired after an hour so I never did manage to finish all 30 levels of it. Lastly, the game I spent the most time playing this past week was DOOM Eternal on the Switch. I scored it on sale for 50% off and after doing a full play through of the game I gotta say I like the playing Switch port better than the Xbox One version, surprisingly. Yeah, the graphics are lower resolution and get a little blurry here and there when there's a lot going on in the game, but the addition of gyroscopic motion controls make aiming so much faster and more fluid for me and I love having the ability to just pick up my Switch and take my game on the go anytime I please. The weather is really nice here in Minnesota this time of year so I spent a lotta time just hanging out outdoors in a shady spot under a tree sipping iced tea and playing DOOM Eternal on the Switch this week, and I can't think of many better ways to relax away a lazy summer afternoon :)

2021062811112300-91C78198891F7BDDCEB1685BA4827A23.thumb.jpg.83d1e2bbb481f3ad651ede1d0a14b7e1.jpg

Ineligible

DOOM Eternal (Nintendo Switch) - 1,800 minutes

Neo Geo MVS/AES

Bust-A-Move - 66 minutes

Bust-A-Move Again - 126 minutes

NES

Contra - 172 minutes

Double Dragon II: The Revenge - 26 minutes

Pac-Man Championship Edition - 30 minutes

River City Ransom - 9 minutes

Super C - 128 minutes

Super Mario Bros. - 19 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week

2,376 minutes (39 hours 36 minutes) [576 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

Nintendo Switch: 1,800 minutes

NES: 384 minutes

Neo Geo MVS/AES: 192 minutes

• Like 4

(Including my times which I forgot to register here in the previous week)

ATARI 2600:

Birthday Mania (for HSC) - 20 minutes

Buck Rogers: Planet of Zoom - 10 minutes

Fireball (for HSC) - 80 minutes

Galaxian Arcade (hack of Galaxian) - 28 minutes

Plaque Attack (for HSC) - 10 minutes

Solar Storm (for HSC) - 5 minutes

The End - 38 minutes

ATARI 7800:

Pac-Man Collection - 182 minutes

COLECOVISION:

Donkey Kong Jr. (for HSC) - 18 minutes

NES/FAMICOM:

Ms. Pac-Man (Tengen License) - 121 minutes

EVIDENCE OF THE WEEK: My Galaxian Arcade gameplay footage - Game 1 B/B - Score: 93640

Edited by oyamafamily
  • Like 5

Arcade

1942 (8 min)

Alien Syndrome (7 min)

NES

Blades of Steel (23 min)

Sega Genesis

Golden Axe II (21 min)

SNES

Hit The Ice (13 min)

Knights of the Round (22 min)

On The Ball (43 min)

Played some classic games with my brother online using Piepacker.  Worked out pretty good. Played a little bit of MAME after words, too.

• Like 5

Here are my times:

NES:

B-Wings- 5 1/2 minutes

Baby Boomer (unlicensed)- 2 minutes

Operation Wolf- 7 minutes

Fantasy Zone (unlicensed)- 6 1/2 minutes

Double Dragon 2: the Revenge- 5 1/2 minutes

Alien Syndrome- 6 minutes

Batman- 1 1/2 minutes

Bee 52 (unlicensed)- 2 minutes

Probotector- 6 1/2 minutes

Atari 2600

Fast food- 2 1/2 minutes

Burgertime- 5 minutes

Does not count

Switch

Doom 2016- 11 minutes

Fortnite- 9 minutes

• Like 5

Not as big of a list as last week, but I did get some time with a few old favorites.

Colecovision

Heroes Arena - 8 minutes

Juno First - 33 minutes

Kaboom! - 11 minutes

Slither (Standard Controller Edition) - 172 minutes

Steamroller - 80 minutes

Wizard of Wor - 20 minutes

Arcade/mame

Asteroids - 170 minutes

Smash TV - 11 minutes

Tapper (Budweiser) - 35 minutes

NES

Gunsmoke - 17 minutes

Smash TV - 42 minutes

Juno First is an excellent and fast paced fixed shooter. This game is amazing, but tough to binge due to how high octane the action is. It's kind of nice like that, though. You fire it up, get amazing fast action and tight controls, then move on.

Kaboom! is similar in a sense that the action ramps up and becomes tough quickly, especially since this is a standard controller edition. The lack of paddle/spinner controls make this game fairly difficult, but it still has its charms.

Slither SCE is absolutely fantastic. I love Centipede, and Slither has some great similarities and differences to it. I can see myself playing this game quite a bit.

Wizard of Wor is simple, but very well done. The invisible monsters add some frantic excitement, and having a few lucky moments or rounds can really spike up the thrill.

Original Asteroids is one of the greatest video games I have ever played, across all platforms. I got completely hooked on it at my last job, where there was a kind of frankenstein, non-original cabinet exterior, with micro switch buttons instead of leaf switch. However, it had that amazing original monitor with vector graphics, and I never got sick of that sight. I played it whenever I had the chance, got fairly decent, and set the record at a couple local arcade bars. While playing it on mame doesn't hold all the magic of pressing real arcade buttons and seeing those eye-popping vector graphics, I have found a suitable control scheme and have gotten hooked all over again. Eventually, I will have my Colecovision Asteroids controller, and hopefully I can get some kind of interface to hook it up to my computer for mame. I am dying for some real arcade buttons again. If anyone has any favorite Asteroids clones or ports, I would love to hear them.

Tapper is such a unique and fun concept. I have loved this game for many years, and I never grow tired of it. Being a bartender in real life allows one to see some amusing parallels between the way the customers in the game and real life act.. and may have caused some deep introspection and existential pondering while playing. No one has ever grabbed me and dragged me across a bar physically, but I have definitely seen some tantrums. Tapper is a fantastic game and sometimes a hilariously accurate portrayal of what bartending and juggling customers is like.

Smash TV will always have a place in my gaming library. The first version I played was the NES version many years ago, and I fell in love. When I found out you could plug two arcade style joysticks into your NES and play this game with dual stick controls, I fell for it even harder. This game requires fast reflexes and nonstop focus. Getting into flow focus in this game is just mesmerizing. The arcade and SNES versions are nice, and I think I need to spend some more time with them.. but damn I just love the NES version. Some day, I would like to make a run at the world record, or at least top three.

I randomly tried Gunsmoke on NES one day, and I immediately wondered how I could have never tried this game before. It's a fairly unique take on a scrolling shooter with nice controls. The only drawback to this game is it is a damn thumb-killer. I feel like I should be firing constantly, and there doesn't seem to be automatic firing, so thumb pain is unavoidable. I guess I can use some sort of turbo fire function, but it kind of feels like cheating. Years of gaming seems to be taking its toll on my thumbs (and hands in general) though, so perhaps I will be forced to flex on this sentiment soon.

Retro gaming took a bit of a back seat to some other things this week, including working on music, playing modern games, and watching some shows with my girlfriend, but it was fun to revisit some of my long time favorite games. Until next time, and happy gaming to all!

• Like 5

Here's the summary for Week 25, running from June 21 - 27. We logged 4686 minutes of eligible play, playing 105 games on a total of 20 systems.

Top 10:

1. Shanghai (Atari Lynx) - 300 min.
2. Pac-Man Collection (Atari 7800) - 182 min.
3. Contra (NES/Famicom) - 172 min.
3. Slither (Standard Controller Edition) (ColecoVision) - 172 min.
5. Asteroids (Arcade) - 170 min.
6. Sonic 3 & Knuckles (Sega Saturn) - 158 min.
7. Super Mario World (SNES) - 156 min.
8. Vapor Trail (Genesis) - 144 min.
9. Super C (NES/Famicom) - 128 min.
10. Puzzle Bobble 2 (Bust-a-Move Again) (Neo Geo AES/MVS) - 126 min.

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Pac-Man Collection (Atari 7800) - 182 min.
2. Slither (Standard Controller Edition) (ColecoVision) - 172 min.
3. Asteroids (Arcade) - 170 min.
4. Jr. Pac-Man (Arcade) - 105 min.
5. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 102 min. (PN#6)
6. Fireball (Atari 2600) - 80 min.
6. SteamRoller (ColecoVision) - 80 min. (PN#4)
8. Dr. Livingston: In Search Of… [aka African Adventure] (TRS-80 MC-10) - 76 min. (PN#5)
9. Battlezone (Arcade) - 60 min.
10. End, The (Atari 2600) - 38 min.

Top 10 systems:

1. Genesis (785) (#3)
2. NES/Famicom (753) (#2)
3. Arcade (546) (#6)
4. Atari 2600 (383) (#4)
5. ColecoVision (342) (#1)
6. Neo Geo AES/MVS (333) (#8)
7. Atari Lynx (300)
8. Sega Saturn (275) (#10)
9. SNES (234) (#7)
10. Game Gear (200) (#5)

All games on the overall top 10 are new for this week and the winner is Shanghai on the Lynx. Second placed Pac-Man Collection on the 7800 has enough minutes to take the pre-NES title though. Still the two most played systems are the Genesis and NES/Famicom, who are having a close battle for first place.

None of the 105 games break the 1000, 5000 or 10000 minute barriers this week. Further down the list though, Kaboom! on the 2600 breaks 230K minutes with 230,018 so it is less than 20K minutes away from reaching a quarter of a million minutes. Given it has only gained 2740 minutes so far this year, it will probably take a while.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Not a whole lot here this time, but here it is. Sonic's birthday celebration continues~!

Dreamcast
Sonic Adventure International - 232

I played the original Japanese version of Sonic Adventure last time, so I decided to play Sonic Adventure International this time instead. The differences are mostly minor cosmetic changes and bug fixes, but it is its own separate release with its own separate product code (original is HDR-0001, so yes, the original Japanese version of the game is apparently the very first Dreamcast game, even if it got released almost one month after the system and several other games. International is HDR-0043).
Sonic Adventure 2 - 12

Arcade
Scramble - 8

Neo Geo AES/MVS
Garou: Mark of the Wolves - 5
Metal Slug - 3
Neo Turf Masters - 11

• Like 5

Atari 8-bit:
Neptune's Daughters - 7 min.

Whistler's Brother - 5 min.

VIC-20:
Archon - 8 min.

So another week just above detection limits. It turned out that the first version I played of Whistler's Brother was bugged so I tried another one. While I did finish the first chapter (multiple chapters in a level), it didn't really stick with me. Perhaps I'll give it a third attempt. I also played the bonus game I suggested, Neptune's Daughters a little but need to read the manual before getting further into it.

For the third game, you might ask yourselves if I mistyped the wrong system? No, Aleksi Eeben the other week released his slightly cut-down version of Archon for unexpanded VIC-20. Yes, that is 5K for a game that on the Atari 8-bit and C64 requires 48-64K. Unfortunately this version only has two player mode (second player either using keys or a Protovision interface for a secondary joystick port) so not that fun fighting yourself but it plays well and perhaps looks better than most of us others (me included) have toyed with mock-up screens before.

vic20-archon.thumb.jpg.21f42545c9217385b99dfc66c113d56c.jpg

• Like 6

Here are my times for this past week (June 28th through July 4th, 2021) on classic systems...

Arcade:

Jr. Pac-Man - 119 min. in 8 sessions

This week I continued to play Jr. Pac-Man. Nothing special happened there, and I think the farthest I've come is the 3rd maze, and that was far from completed.

• Like 5

Here are my times: 

NES

Alien Syndrome (unlicensed)- 6 minutes

Bubble Bath Babes (unlicensed)- 11 minutes

Bee 52 (unlicensed)- 3 minutes

Fantasy Zone (unlicensed)- 3 1/2 minutes

ZX Spectrum

Star Wars Arcade- 5 minutes

Atari 2600

Burgertime- 5 minutes

Kaboom!- 2 minutes

Q*bert- 5 1/2 minutes

Fast Food- 3 minutes

Edited by Prosystemsearch
  • Like 6

My times for the week:

Genesis:

Eliminate Down - 424 min.

Patlabor - 42 min.

Vapor Trail - 55 min.

Beat Vapor Trail on its hardest difficulty settings (Hard/3 Credits), and beat Eliminate Down on Easy and Normal (with 5 credits).

I also playtested a work-in-progress translation patch for Patlabor, aka Kidou Keisatsu Patlabor: 98-Shiki Kidou Seyo!

• Like 6

Lynx:

Checkered Flag - 30 minutes for HSC.

Game Gear:

Bartman Meets Radioactive Man - 15 minutes. Pretty generic.

Panzer Dragoon Mini - 75 minutes. Got to the last level a couple times. Hard mode is a lot less frustratingly slow to start with, but I bet it will get crazy later on.

WWF Wrestlemania Steel Cage Challenge - 15 minutes. I think this is the only game I own starring Hulk Hogan.

Game Boy:

Max - 15 minutes. Quite an interesting and odd little game.

Adventure Island - 20 minutes. The levels are so short and not very interesting compared to other entries in the series.

Game Boy Color:

Ballistic - 15 minutes. Good ol’ proto-Zuma.

Evel Knievel - 20 minutes. ‘Merica! This came so close to being fun but having sunk many hours into Trials I just can’t take this anymore.

32X:

FIFA 96 - 25 minutes. I know little about soccer/un-American football, but this is really impressive graphically for the system. Real polygonal graphics, a decent frame rate, and while they’re tiny and low poly they’re effective. I think it plays relatively well.

World Series Baseball - 45 minutes. This is obviously an unfinished game. You cannot move in the batter’s box at all. Hitting is very strange. There is no music and the soundtrack is unending, unpleasant crowd noise. The scoreboard animations are very impressive.

Sega CD:

Heart of the Alien - 70 minutes. Just played the sequel and died and died and died and died. I really wish there were more checkpoints. Weird they went with passwords on a system that supports saving games.

Arcade:

Battlezone - 45 minutes. Oh I really suck at this game.

Bubble Bobble - 20 minutes. That music…

• Like 5

Atari 2600

Birthday Mania - 7 minutes

Kaboom! - 27 minutes

Solar Fox - 46 minutes

Solar Storm - 4 minutes

I made it to Rack 76 on Solar Fox.

Didn't do so well on Kaboom! but the paddles needed to be cleaned.  I should do better this week.

Solar Storm is a good game but parts of it are very difficult.

• Like 4

Times for the week

Intellivision Pinball FB retro comp 19

Atari 2600

Birthday Mania HSC 2

Eggomania 16

Fire Ball HSC 3

Kaboom FB retro 32 mins. Score over 3,450

Mario Bros FB HSC 82

Ms. Pac-Man FB HSC 17

Pac-Man Jr. FB retro 8

Solar Fox 55

mostly just competing on some Facebook retro competitions. 

2C132124-5E46-416B-A8DD-160BE3BA202E.jpeg

• Like 5