IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2021 (Season 14)

carlsson

ATARI 2600:

Galaxian - 68 minutes

Moon Patrol (for HSC) - 7 minutes

ATARI 5200:

H.E.R.O. (for HSC) - 12 minutes

Pac-Man - 15 minutes

Vanguard - 8 minutes

ATARI 7800:

Pac-Man Collection - 7 minutes

ATARI 8-BIT:

Caverns of Mars II (for HSC) - 10 minutes

Cosmic Defender - 8 minutes

Dark Chambers - 3 minutes

Defender - 35 minutes

Fantastic Voyage - 1 minute

Food Fight - 1 minute

H.E.R.O. - 15 minutes

Jr. Pac-Man - 5 minutes

Megamania - 10 minutes

Night Rescue 1941 (for HSC) - 1 minute

Pac-Man [Atari Version] - 20 minutes

Pac-Man Arcade - 70 minutes

Phobos (for HSC) - 5 minutes

Super Pac-Man - 1 minute

EVIDENCES OF THE WEEK:

1) My 8-BIT Pac-Man Arcade gameplay footage, KEY and BELL runs

2) My 8-BIT Pac-Man Atari Version gameplay footage, KEY run

3) My 2600 Galaxian gameplay footage, new record on NTSC console - 132,700 points

Edited by oyamafamily
  • Like 6

The 17th was the 29th anniversary of the release of Gleylancer. You did remember to play Gleylancer to celebrate, right? Thunder Force IV's 29th anniversary is exactly a week later, on the 24th, so don't forget~

Dreamcast
Power Stone - 20
Power Stone 2 - 10
Sonic Adventure (Japan) - 29
Sonic Adventure 2 - 303
Soulcalibur - 25
Xeno Crisis - 32

Saturn
Akumajou Dracula X ~Gekka no Yasoukyoku~ - 17
Sonic 3 & Knuckles - 53
Thunder Force III - 30
Thunder Force IV - 86

FC/NES
Akumajou Densetsu - 8

Genesis/MD
Gleylancer - 49
Thunder Force IV - 5
Xeno Crisis - 13

• Like 5

On 7/17/2021 at 3:05 AM, Atarian7 said:

There's no Atari 2600 game in the top ten.  I wonder if that is a first.

Normally I tend to forget to highlight that, but fortunately you mentioned it twice before this year. Namely in week #2 there was an Atari 8-bit game but no 2600 games in the overall top ten, and the following week #3 it was even worse, not a single pre-NES game in the top 10. I also mentioned the later happened before in year 2020, so while it uncommon, it is far from unheard of.

Possibly - though I haven't checked - last week was unique in the respect that not a single Atari 2600 broke the 100 minuter barrier.

Edit: Well, that was easy to find out that in week #2 the most played 2600 game only reached 60 minutes so that week was worse.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Atari 8-bit:
Caverns of Mars II - 33 min.
Night Rescue 1941 - 56 min.
Phobos - 110 min.

A new HSC round was opened at the end of this week, and it is a classic space shooter round. The horizontally scrolling Scramble clone Caverns of Mars II and the vertically scrolling Phobos, both by Greg Christiansen who also made Caverns of Mars, a forerunner to Phobos, probably are well known.

Night Rescue 1941 is a lesser known title, a precision based game with elements of Choplifter. The original version Night Rescue was submitted to COMPUTE! in 1984 but they thought the game was too difficult (?) to get published so the developers have spent the following 35++ years on enhancing it into the current version without any timers or shooting, but an excellent sound track that most probably didn't exist in 1984.

• Like 3

Here are my times for this past week (July 12th through 18th)...

Arcade:

Elevator Action - 10 min.

Green Beret - 9 min.

Joust - 13 min.

Jr. Pac-Man - 59 min. in 4 sessions

Loco-Motion 5 min.

Mario Bros. - 16 min.

The NewZealand Story - 13 min.

Phoenix - 8 min.

Tapper (Budweiser) - 7 min.

Colecovision:

Smurf's Rescue in Gargamel's castle - 5 min.

This week I played an assortment of different arcade games (similar to what I would play at a real arcade) with often only one game each. I got pretty far in Elevator Action, and I reached the 2nd level in Green Beret. In Joust I reached a score of nearly 50.000 points. In Jr. Pac-Man I managed to beat Level 3 once or twice. A game I haven't often played yet is NewZealand Story which also seems to be pretty hard, as is actually Phoenix where I didn't manage to beat the first mothership. In Smurf's Rescue I managed to beat Level 1, but not Level 2, actually making really dumb mistakes.

• Like 5

Here are my times: 

Atari 2600:

Beany Bopper- 6 minutes

Spiderman- 2 minutes

Taz- 2 minutes

Fast Food- 3 minutes

Space invaders- 1 minute

Montezuma's revenge- 2 1/2 minutes

No Escape!- 6 minutes

NES:

Contra- 6 minutes

Bubble Bath Babes (unlicensed)- 11 minutes 

Alien Syndrome (unlicensed)- 9 minutes

Toobin' (unlicensed)- 5 minutes

• Like 5

Mars Matrix (Dreamcast) 21 mins
Darius Twin (SNES) 23 mins
Xardion (SNES) 12 mins
Adventure Island (NES) 9 mins
Seirei Senshi Spriggan (PC Engine CD) 26 mins

Would have played more games this week but I was burning games like mad for my PC Engine and Dreamcast.

And yeah I know that playing burnt games can be hard on the Dreamcast's laser. But I'm not going to play it heavily and if the laser goes out I'll just install one of those MODE things for it as I only have one game on official media and it's a crap game. One I was not able to sell when I sold my original Dreamcast.

Edited by DragonGrafx-16
  • Like 4

My times for the week:

Genesis:
Ex-Mutants - 55 min.

3DO:
The Eye of Typhoon - 186 min.
Iron Angel of the Apocalypse: The Return - 150 min.

Beat the Korean-exclusive fighting game The Eye of Typhoon.

I also ran through the Easy difficulty of Ex-Mutants, which only lets you play half the game, aka an "Easy Incomplete" (that term, coined by StarMist on Sega-16, deserves to catch on).

• Like 5

Yesterday I played

Sonic the Hedgehog for Sega Genesis - 45 minutes

This one was done on the Kega Fusion emulator on a PC while I tested the built in game recording feature of the emulator. The results were not good. The speed was perfectly fine but the recording created scrambled artifacts on the backgrounds randomly throughout the video. I will probably not use that recording feature again.

• Like 5

Genesis/Mega Drive
Sonic The Hedgehog - 350 minutes (I've been trying to practice for a no-hit run through the entire game.  Gotta say, Scrap Brain Zone isn't making my life ANY easier)

Sonic The Hedgehog 2 - 417 minutes (I also played through the game with my mom, which was pretty funny)

Sonic 3 & Knuckles - 237 minutes (I consider this game to be a masterpiece, nuff said)

Master System
Sonic The Hedgehog - 73 minutes
Sonic Chaos - 52 minutes

Sega CD
After Burner III - 25 minutes

Sonic The Hedgehog CD, 368 minutes (favorite video game of all time btw)

My line up for games I play is generally the same every week.  Expect similar results the next time I follow up.  I'm thinking I'll dabble into some more combat-oriented games soon or potentially RPGs.  Hell, maybe even racing games if I get the chance.

Edited by RetroSonicHero
  • Like 6

Couple of favorites this past week. 

New PB for Frogger!  (10130, I'm sloowwwwly gettting back into the game).  I get hung up about five or six boards in on BurgerTime but I'd do better if I wasn't playing when I was already dead tired.

Arcade:

BurgerTime -- 30 minutes

Frogger -- 30 minutes

• Like 4

Arcade 

Donkey Kong II 31 

Front Line 25 

Star Wars Racer Arcade 4 

I went to a local arcade and played all 3 of these on physical hardware.  I also played these pinball tables:

Guardians of the Galaxy 

Heavy Metal 

Led Zeppelin 

Mandalorian 

Metallica 

NASCAR 

• Like 6

Game Boy:

Tetris - 219 minutes

PC-9801:

Binyu Hunter - 62 minutes

Cosmic Psycho - 36 minutes

Well, after ages of saying I would, I finally put an IPS panel in my damaged DMG. Of course Tetris was the go-to game when fixed, it's a favorite of mine, and that ended up eating a fair amount of free time. I'm pretty sure that thing earned a place in my backpack.

Speaking of repairs, again with the PC-98s, I have an As3 with leaky caps in the power supply. One DigiKey order later + one ZenMarket package arriving = some strange games, that's for sure. Binyu Hunter is sci-fi Cabal with dialog, Cosmic Psycho is a mix of VN and action game, and both were full of adult content which I think should just expect by now.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, BurritoBeans said:

Game Boy:

Tetris - 219 minutes

PC-9801:

Binyu Hunter - 62 minutes

Cosmic Psycho - 36 minutes

Well, after ages of saying I would, I finally put an IPS panel in my damaged DMG. Of course Tetris was the go-to game when fixed, it's a favorite of mine, and that ended up eating a fair amount of free time. I'm pretty sure that thing earned a place in my backpack.

Speaking of repairs, again with the PC-98s, I have an As3 with leaky caps in the power supply. One DigiKey order later + one ZenMarket package arriving = some strange games, that's for sure. Binyu Hunter is sci-fi Cabal with dialog, Cosmic Psycho is a mix of VN and action game, and both were full of adult content which I think should just expect by now.

Well it is the PC-98 after all... lol

• Like 4

Here's the summary for Week 28, running from July 12 - 18. We logged 4692 minutes of eligible play, playing 91 games on a total of 19 systems.

Top 10:

1. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Genesis) - 417 min.
2. Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis) - 395 min.
3. Sonic the Hedgehog (CD port) (Sega CD) - 368 min.
4. Final Fantasy IX (PlayStation) - 345 min. (#2)
5. Sonic Adventure 2 (Dreamcast) - 303 min.
6. Sonic 3 & Knuckles [aka Complete Version] (Genesis) - 237 min.
7. Tetris (Game Boy) - 219 min.
8. Eye of Typhoon (3DO) - 186 min.
9. Iron Angel of the Apocalypse: The Return (3DO) - 150 min.
10. Phobos (Atari 8-bit) - 120 min.

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Phobos (Atari 8-bit) - 120 min.
2. Pac-Man Arcade (tep392) (Atari 8-bit) - 104 min.
3. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 102 min. (PN#3)
4. Dragonfire (Atari 2600) - 80 min.
5. Galaxian (Atari 2600) - 68 min.
6. Jr. Pac-Man (Arcade) - 59 min.
7. Night Rescue 1941 (Atari 8-bit) - 57 min.
8. Defender (Atari 8-bit) - 56 min.
9. Caverns of Mars II (Atari 8-bit) - 43 min.
10. Mappy (Arcade) - 37 min.

Top 10 systems:

1. Genesis (1246) (#1)
2. Atari 8-bit (447)
3. Dreamcast (440) (#7)
4. Sega CD (393)
5. PlayStation (345) (#3)
6. 3DO (336)
7. Atari 2600 (329) (#4)
8. Arcade (297)
9. Game Boy (219)
10. Sega Saturn (206)

This turned out to be the Super Sonic Week as no less than 5 of the top 10 entries on the overall list origin from the Sonic empire. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 just barely (22 min) is head of Sonic the Hedgehog 1 which in its turn just barely (27 min) is ahead of the Sega CD version. Just like it was noted last week, no Atari 2600 games make the overall top list, and also on the pre-NES list, two Atari 8-bit games make it past Solar Fox and the others. Actually the A8 unusually has the most number of entries on the pre-NES list.

Systems wise, it comes as no surprise that the Genesis is the most played, with Atari 8-bit as an unusual runner-up just ahead of the Dreamcast.

Two games enter the 1000 Minute Club this week:

#452 Tetris (Game Boy) - 1146 minutes

#453 Dragonfire (Atari 2600) - 1065 minutes

It might come as a surprise that Tetris, the epitome of classic Game Boy games, took until now to break the 1000 minute barrier but it had sat long at 927 minutes, waiting for someone to carry it over the edge which this time turned to be BurritoBeans.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

On 7/19/2021 at 7:49 PM, wongojack said:

Arcade 

Donkey Kong II 31 

Front Line 25 

Star Wars Racer Arcade 4 

I went to a local arcade and played all 3 of these on physical hardware.

I suppose Donkey Kong II equals this hack by Jeff Kulczycki (2006)? Not that it makes it any less, just curious if it also was a dedicated cab.

I also learned that Star Wars: Racer Arcade is a game release in 2000 so together with Dragon Blaze it represents the most recent arcade games in this part of the tracker.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, carlsson said:

I suppose Donkey Kong II equals this hack by Jeff Kulczycki (2006)? Not that it makes it any less, just curious if it also was a dedicated cab.

I also learned that Star Wars: Racer Arcade is a game release in 2000 so together with Dragon Blaze it represents the most recent arcade games in this part of the tracker.

Yep that's it.  It is a hack that is now fairly well known (I guess).  The creator goes by a different name ("Sock Master") and also created DK and DK Jr "Remix."  I only mention that because I believe that I have logged time for all of those arcade hacks over the years.  I've even seen a dedicated cab at a show that had both DK Jr and remix together.  This happened to be a stand alone DK II only.

• Like 5

On 7/18/2021 at 7:51 PM, DragonGrafx-16 said:

Mars Matrix (Dreamcast) 21 mins
Darius Twin (SNES) 23 mins
Xardion (SNES) 12 mins
Adventure Island (NES) 9 mins
Seirei Senshi Spriggan (PC Engine CD) 26 mins

Would have played more games this week but I was burning games like mad for my PC Engine and Dreamcast.

And yeah I know that playing burnt games can be hard on the Dreamcast's laser. But I'm not going to play it heavily and if the laser goes out I'll just install one of those MODE things for it as I only have one game on official media and it's a crap game. One I was not able to sell when I sold my original Dreamcast.

Wait, why is it quite hard on the Dreamcast's internal laser when it comes to reading burned games? But yet its not so much the case for the laser of the PC-Engine CD, Sega CD, and Sega Saturn? ?

• Like 3