IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2021 (Season 14)

carlsson

Arcade:

BloodStorm - 71 minutes

Zaxxon - 45 minutes

Game Boy:

Tetris - 210 minutes

PC-9801:

Maison Ikkoku - 3 minutes

A decent amount of playing and repairing went on for the week.

The PC-9801F arrived! It got torn down instantly, lucky me the barrel battery hadn't spilled everywhere, but I think it has power supply issues. The computer consistently crashes after ten minutes of being powered on, both 8MHz and 5MHz mode, and the only fix I've found is to power it down until the caps are bled then restart. If it means anything the composite B&W output is extremely warbly and dances all around any old CRT I throw it on, too. Lucky me I could get it powered just long enough to boot Maison Ikkoku, the only 2DD floppy game I own, and I can say that when it runs things are pretty nice! Sadly no time could be had on the 8801MkII from the same package, again power supply issues as I'm entirely missing the 12V rail under load (only getting 2.3V) so that needs replaced before anything can even happen... at least the keyboard feels really nice?

Tetris got dragged around with me in my Game Boy yet again, this time in a stock DMG, and wow the screen replacement in my other one is just too nice to me. There's definitely an appeal in seeing that original screen nowadays, I get that, but man is it nice to be able to play the system anywhere that isn't perfectly lit.

Some of the arcades got a little maintenance so I gave them a little playtime while I was at it. BloodStorm is by no means a game I really enjoy, if I remember right my whole reason for buying it was because how stupid it was, and sadly I think I figured out how to beat the entire game without any effort. Freon just makes things too easy, freeze 'em then finisher since you can do that any time the enemies are stunned. Zaxxon was a gift for my father, it was one of his favorite games and he still loves it to this day, and it was having some sound problems with sound. Half an hour on the bench with two new ICs later and it was working perfectly again, I tried to play it but man I'm not nearly as good as him at it.

• Like 7

Not a super eventful week here, but I did manage to wrap up my Alien: Isolation playthrough with 100% completion for the first time! I managed to collect every single archive log, Nostromo log, and ID Tag there was to find in the game so I feel pretty darn chuffed! Aside from a few minutes in a couple Street Fighter games the only other game of note I played this past week was the brand new Nintendo Switch port of the original Quake. Seeing Quake remastered in 1080p widescreen alone is pretty awesome, but the additions of HD rumble, modern dual analog stick controls, and gyroscopic motion aiming really make it something special. Never in a million years could I have played Quake as well on a PC as I can with the Switch's gyro aiming (though admittedly I do really suck with a keyboard and mouse :lol:) and I've been having a ton of fun with it all weekend! Combine all those features with all 4 official expansions included and this game is a total steal for $10! Anyone who ever enjoyed Quake on the PC back in the day or has even the slightest interest in trying it out really can't go wrong picking it up on the Switch eShop. :thumbsup:

Ineligible

Alien: Isolation (Nintendo Switch) - 1,090 minutes

Quake (Nintendo Switch) - 210 minutes

Arcade

Street Fighter Alpha 3 - 11 minutes

Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers - 4 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week

1,315 minutes (21 hours 55 minutes) [15 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

Nintendo Switch: 1,300 minutes

Arcade: 15 minutes

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Skippy B. Coyote said:

Not a super eventful week here, but I did manage to wrap up my Alien: Isolation playthrough with 100% completion for the first time! I managed to collect every single archive log, Nostromo log, and ID Tag there was to find in the game so I feel pretty darn chuffed! Aside from a few minutes in a couple Street Fighter games the only other game of note I played this past week was the brand new Nintendo Switch port of the original Quake. Seeing Quake remastered in 1080p widescreen alone is pretty awesome, but the additions of HD rumble, modern dual analog stick controls, and gyroscopic motion aiming really make it something special. Never in a million years could I have played Quake as well on a PC as I can with the Switch's gyro aiming (though admittedly I do really suck with a keyboard and mouse :lol:) and I've been having a ton of fun with it all weekend! Combine all those features with all 4 official expansions included and this game is a total steal for $10! Anyone who ever enjoyed Quake on the PC back in the day or has even the slightest interest in trying it out really can't go wrong picking it up on the Switch eShop. :thumbsup:

Ineligible

Alien: Isolation (Nintendo Switch) - 1,090 minutes

Quake (Nintendo Switch) - 210 minutes

Arcade

Street Fighter Alpha 3 - 11 minutes

Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers - 4 minutes

1,315 minutes (21 hours 55 minutes) [15 minutes eligible]

Nintendo Switch: 1,300 minutes

Arcade: 15 minutes

I prefer Street Fighter Alpha and Alpha 2 from the Alpha series, mostly for nostalgia's sake since I spent a ton of money in the arcades during my misbegotten high school years playing.  SFA3 I played on the Playstation and arcade and it just seems too... slick for my taste.  :)

• Like 4

I have had quite an eventful week in classic gaming:

Diablo for PC - 212 minutes

Dragon Warrior for NES - 196 minutes

The Legend of Zelda for NES - 83 minutes

Pokemon Gold Version for Game Boy Color - 10 minutes

Pokemon Red Version for Game Boy - 253 minutes

In Diablo I started a new file on a different PC so I could record the footage. I made it down to level 6. I'll probably still play my other file too when convenient because it's not going to look the same. That's the beauty of how random generated levels work.

In Dragon Warrior I am level 14. I'm recording this playthrough.

I beat the first quest of The Legend of Zelda and recorded the video. 83 minutes is a pretty good time wouldn't you say? I think it's right around my rough average time since just over a decade ago.

Pokemon Gold Version I just checked to see where I left off an beat a couple more trainers in the gym I'm in before turning it off to save for later.

Pokemon Red Version I'm just level grinding. I'm just playing that game handheld to pass the time.

• Like 6

Here's the summary for Week 33, running from August 16 - 22. We logged 3442 minutes of eligible play, playing 98 games on a total of 20 systems.

Top 10:

1. Akumajou Dracula X: Gekka no Yasoukyoku (JP version of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night) (Sega Saturn) - 370 min.
2. Pokemon Red Version (Game Boy) - 253 min.
3. Epidemic (PlayStation) - 224 min.
4. Diablo (PC (Windows 95/98)) - 212 min.
5. Tetris (Game Boy) - 210 min. (#3)
6. Dragon Quest (Dragon Warrior) (NES/Famicom) - 196 min. (#10)
7. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 179 min. (#5)
8. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 169 min. (#4)
9. Legend of Zelda, The (NES/Famicom) - 83 min.
10. Bloodstorm (Arcade) - 71 min.

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 179 min. (PN#2)
2. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 169 min. (PN#1)
3. M*A*S*H (Atari 2600) - 70 min.
4. Zaxxon (Arcade) - 45 min.
5. Runner Bear (Atari 8-bit) - 37 min. (PN#8)
6. Busy Baby (Atari 8-bit) - 35 min. (PN#10)
6. Laser Blast (Atari 2600) - 35 min.
8. Hunchy II (Atari 2600) - 34 min.
9. Asteroids (Arcade) - 30 min.
9. Dig Dug II (Arcade) - 30 min. (PN#5)
9. Ms. Pac-Man (Arcade) - 30 min.
9. Pac-Man (Arcade) - 30 min.

Top 10 systems:

1. Atari 2600 (717) (#3)
2. Game Boy (673) (#5)
3. Sega Saturn (539) (#9)
4. Arcade (338)
5. NES/Famicom (279) (#10)
6. PlayStation (235)
7. PC (Windows 95/98) (212)
8. Atari 8-bit (168) (#8)
9. Atari 7800 (90) (#4)
10. Game Gear (40)

This week, just over 6 hours is enough for Akumajou Dracula X to become the overall most played game, while Kaboom! and Solar Fox shift positions within 10 minutes of eachother on the pre-NES list. Neither of last week's top two SNES and TG-CD make the systems list this week, which means the Atari 2600 takes that title by a margin just short of 45 minutes.

No new entries to the 1000, 5000 or 10000 minute clubs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Not much here this time. Of note are Princess Crown and the absolutely terrible Deep Blue on the PC Engine. Don't play Deep Blue. It's really bad. I apologized to my poor SuperGrafx for making it run that horrible software and then decided to make up for that by having it run the most badass game I could think of, which ended up being the incredible 1941 Counter Attack.

Saturn
Cotton 2 - 12
Princess Crown - 28
Sonic the Hedgehog - 31
Thunder Force V - 15

PC Engine
Deep Blue - 4
Dragon Spirit - 13
Mr. Heli no Dai Bouken - 4

SuperGrafx
1941 Counter Attack - 19

Genesis/MD
Demons of Asteborg - 41
Gaiares - 20
Twin Cobra - 10
Zero Wing - 21

PS1
Jumping Flash! - 18

Arcade
In the Hunt - 16

• Like 6

ATARI 2600 (All games for HSC Silver Medals Tournament Finals):

Plaque Attack - 36 minutes

Robot City - 20 minutes

Venture - 12 minutes

ATARI 8-BIT:

Asteroids - 5 minutes

Atlantis - 11 minutes

Commando - 37 minutes

Dark Chambers - 28 minutes

Dig Dug - 70 minutes

H.E.R.O. - 38 minutes

Missile Command - 12 minutes

Phobos - 13 minutes

Seaquest - 100 minutes

Squish'Em - 32 minutes

EVIDENCES OF THE WEEK: My 8-BIT gameplay footages, some of them recorded through Altirra Emulator

1) Squish 'Em - 110,600 (Game 1)

2) Dark Chambers - 110,250 (Level Advanced)

3) Seaquest - 360,600 (Default)

• Like 6

Atari 8-bit:
Beef Drop (demo) - 15 min.
Burger Chef - 2 min.
Busy Baby - 70 min.
Runner Bear - 42 min.

One HSC round about to end - actually it probably was meant to end today but the moderator had specified a closing date next weekend so it runs for one more week - and a new HSC round started so currently we have two rounds in the A8 HSC running in parallel. The new round consists of a slew of BurgerTime clones and a few beer related games, of which I'm unsure I'll do well in either but at least I try.

• Like 3

Here are my times for this past week (August 23rd through 29th, 2021) on classic systems:

Arcade:

Galaxian - 2 min.

Gyruss - 24 min. in 3 sessions

Jr. Pac-Man - 156 min. in 5 sessions

Major Havoc - 4 min.

Pleiads - 1 min.

Rip Off - 3 min.

Turtles - 73 min. in 2 sessions

Sega Master System:

Alex Kidd in Miracle World - 16 min.

This week I maily continued to play Jr. Pac-Man, but I also tried a bunch of other games... I had multiple sessions of Gyruss and Turtles. In Gyruss I didn't come particularly far, but in Turtles I made it to the roof once. I watched a Video about Mario Bros. and the personality of Mario, in which the Game & Watch game "Mario Bros." gets presented because it was the first game actually having Mario as a playable character under his name (along with Luigi's first appearance). According to this video, this game has no ending, and the times you fill a truck with packages is not seen as one, rather a short break, but it's what comes closest to an "ending" in this game though the game continues after that. I see the same with the "roof" in Turtles... for me, if I made the roof, I've beaten the game even though it continues afterwards. Galaxian and Jr. Pac-Man are more open here, having no ending per se, though you could set the goal of clearing all 8 different mazes in Jr. Pac-Man (which is very hard). In Gyruss the goal would be reaching Earth (also very hard) and I didn't play the other games long enough to even make out a possible ending.

The only non-arcade game I played was Sega's Alex Kidd in Miracle World (built into the Master Sytem 2 console). This time after beating the 1st level I managed to buy the car, but lost it again during the next level and died quickly afterwards.

• Like 5

Here are my times so far. I might play more later today if I finish my work, but will probably post that time next week.

Art of Fighting for Neo Geo (MVS mode) - 10 minutes

Diablo for PC - 608 minutes

Diablo: Hellfire for PC - 215 minutes

Dragon Warrior for NES - 173 minutes

Fatal Fury for Neo Geo (MVS mode) - 38 minutes

Fatal Fury 2 for Neo Geo (MVS mode) - 53 minutes

Fatal Fury Special for Neo Geo (MVS mode) - 6 minutes

The King of Fighters '94 Neo Geo (MVS mode) - 25 minutes

King of the Monsters for Neo Geo (MVS mode) - 4 minutes

The Legend of Zelda for NES - 163 minutes

Pokemon Red Version for Game Boy - 72 minutes

Samurai Shodown for Neo Geo (MVS mode) - 16 minutes

World Heroes for Neo Geo (MVS mode) - 24 minutes

World Heroes 2 for Neo Geo (MVS mode) - 23 minutes

My experiences:

Neo Geo (MVS mode, difficulty 4 - played on Timeharvest CMVS)

I tried out but did not finish Art of Fighting, Fatal Fury Special, The King of Fighters '94, King of the Monsters, Samurai Shodown, or World Heroes 2.

I beat Fatal Fury using only Terry.

I beat Fatal Fury 2 starting with Terry but switching to Big Bear when it became too difficult.

I beat World Heroes using only Hanzo.

I finished Diablo as the warrior again. I started Diablo: Hellfire for the first time, also playing as the warrior and reached the 7th level down.

In Dragon Warrior I have all the items and am now level 21.

In The Legend of Zelda, I 1CC'd the second quest in only 163 minutes! Video uploading to YouTube right now!

In Pokemon Red Version, my Pikachu learned its last move and I evolved it into Raichu at level 43. I am now working on Vulpix.

Edited by TheGameCollector
  • Like 5

This is probably close enough.

Atari 2600:

Vanguard - 45 minutes. Man, I love this as an arcade game. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing and hearing the first time I played it. It seems to me it was hugely influential even if nobody talks about it anymore. (Wasn’t it the first game with an invincibility powerup? Maybe Popeye…) 

I never got the 2600 version before. This is about as good a port as imaginable, but I wish this awesome game had gotten more ports. Also this has the most motion-sickness inducing scrolling this side of Ys III for the Turbografx

Demon Attack - 15 minutes. Why did this game sell so many copies? It really seems worse than its inspirations.

E772BD4F-C5F5-47C2-A224-570F4867F41E.thumb.jpeg.4f9c1e9d08d2813d114dd7c30c81dd33.jpeg

Cosmic Ark - 20 minutes. Haven’t played this in quite a while. What a weird game. Essentially it’s like a proto-rhythm game with a cattle abduction minigame.

A85CCF8F-D0E1-4733-9E75-9319F9FC66D6.thumb.jpeg.a7c424b355ee3332bd206c12a7173455.jpeg

Oink! - 20 minutes. What a charmingly sick game.

19569F78-DFA7-42CA-82B8-A00623295B19.thumb.jpeg.b8408e10021139a5508d2b6d4809feff.jpeg

Juno First - 35 minutes. Excellent port. Man, 2600 and 7800 controllers destroy my hands. I do prefer the Vectrex port Hera Primera for the stunning music, but this is a really awesome effort.

784EBC14-483E-4AEB-ADF6-71D3A9D0198C.thumb.jpeg.e5bee4bacbbf5556a0be796732a43375.jpeg

Name This Game - 20 minutes. I don’t think I fully grasp this game, but it is a really fun and different take on the Space Invaders game style. Why on earth didn’t they name it, though? I got between 8000 and 10000 points, but it disappears as soon as your game ends.

AC8B4757-3014-4FD9-8F7F-8C50BEB1EE45.thumb.jpeg.a7cd0c47f5f685ac08f61fd1be5073c7.jpeg

Sega CD:

Road Rash - 60 minutes. The gameplay of Road Rash 2 with the graphical style of Road Rash 3 and the soundtrack of Road Rash on 32 bit systems. No real use of Sega CD scaling support that I noticed, a real shame. It’s a good time but I still like Road Rash 3 better.

Robo Aleste - 25 minutes. I’m getting better but I still suck.

• Like 5

Only one quick session of Solar Fox for 22 minutes.

1 hour ago, jgkspsx said:

Demon Attack - 15 minutes. Why did this game sell so many copies? It really seems worse than its inspirations.

When I first got this game many years ago I thought it was one of the absolute best.

• Like 3

Apologies for the late submission, I was feeling pretty under the weather yesterday. In any case, here's my household's times for this past week :)

Ineligible

Monopoly (Nintendo Switch) - 225 minutes

Quake (Nintendo Switch) - 1,045 minutes

Sega Genesis

Mortal Kombat II - 17 minutes

1,287 minutes (21 hours 27 minutes) [17 minutes eligible]

Nintendo Switch: 1,270 minutes

Sega Genesis: 17 minutes

• Like 5

Here's the summary for Week 34, running from August 23 - 29. We logged 3141 minutes of eligible play, playing 68 games on a total of 14 systems.

Top 10:

1. Diablo (PC (Windows 95/98)) - 608 min. (#4)
2. Diablo: Hellfire (PC (Windows 95/98)) - 215 min.
3. Dragon Quest (Dragon Warrior) (NES/Famicom) - 173 min. (#6)
4. Legend of Zelda, The (NES/Famicom) - 163 min. (#9)
5. Jr. Pac-Man (Arcade) - 156 min.
6. Seaquest (Atari 8-bit) - 100 min.
7. Epidemic (PlayStation) - 99 min. (#3)
8. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 96 min. (#8)
9. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 78 min. (#7)
10. Turtles (Arcade) - 73 min.

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Jr. Pac-Man (Arcade) - 156 min.
2. Seaquest (Atari 8-bit) - 100 min.
3. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 96 min. (PN#2)
4. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 78 min. (PN#1)
5. Turtles (Arcade) - 73 min.
6. Busy Baby (Atari 8-bit) - 70 min. (PN#6)
6. Dig Dug (Atari 8-bit) - 70 min.
8. Hunchy II (Atari 2600) - 45 min. (PN#8)
8. Vanguard (Atari 2600) - 45 min.
10. Runner Bear (Atari 8-bit) - 42 min. (PN#5)

Top 10 systems:

1. PC (Windows 95/98) (823) (#7)
2. Atari 8-bit (475) (#8)
3. Atari 2600 (442) (#1)
4. Arcade (339) (#4)
5. NES/Famicom (336) (#5)
6. Neo Geo AES/MVS (199)
7. PlayStation (117) (#6)
8. Genesis (109)
9. Sega Saturn (86) (#3)
10. Sega CD (85)

Whether or not the Devil wears Prada, at least Diablo takes a double victory on the overall list this week, followed by Dragon Quest/Dragon Warrior and Legend of Zelda in places 3-4. Then comes the most played pre-NES games such as Jr. Pac-Man and Seaquest. Not surprisingly the PC Windows 95/98 platform becomes the most played, though there is a close battle between the Atari 8-bit and 2600 for second place.

No new entries to the 1000, 5000, 10000 minute clubs though a few games at least are getting close to the first one.

In case anyone was late to post, please add your minutes below and I'll include them for next week.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 8/30/2021 at 8:14 PM, jgkspsx said:

Name This Game - 20 minutes. I don’t think I fully grasp this game, but it is a really fun and different take on the Space Invaders game style. Why on earth didn’t they name it, though? I got between 8000 and 10000 points, but it disappears as soon as your game ends.

AC8B4757-3014-4FD9-8F7F-8C50BEB1EE45.thumb.jpeg.a7cd0c47f5f685ac08f61fd1be5073c7.jpeg

It was a publicity thing - they offered a prize to whoever could "Name This Game."  Someone eventually was chosen and the game name changed (to Octopus in PAL regions), but many more copies were sold with the original title.

On 8/31/2021 at 6:57 AM, jgkspsx said:

I would probably like it more if I played more. I was feeling frustrated at my hit rate ;)

You should try the game variations.  One lets you sort of guide your shots and the others are interesting too.  I kinda like playing with guided shots on one of the harder game variations.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ATARI 2600:

Asteroids - 57 minutes

Pac-Man - 6 minutes

Robot City - 1 minute

Venture - 5 minutes

In the 2600 NEW HSC Season 11 Silver Medal Tourney Finals, I conceded officially the victory to my opponent with 2 of 3 games (I won one of them - Plaque Attack). And now, I'm going to enter the next round of Paper Medal Knockout Tournament.

ATARI 7800:

Pac-Man Collection - 7 minutes

ATARI 8-BIT:

Activision Decathlon, The - 5 minutes

Atlantis - 7 minutes

Beamrider - 42 minutes

Beef Drop - 10 minutes

Caverns of Mars - 6 minutes

Caverns of Mars II - 14 minutes

Clowns and Balloons - 16 minutes

Donkey Kong - 2 minutes

Galaxian - 28 minutes

Pengo - 60 minutes

River Raid - 2 minutes

Robotron: 2084 - 2 minutes

Seaquest - 57 minutes

Tapper - 10 minutes

EVIDENCES OF THE WEEK: More Atari 8-BIT gameplay footages

1) Galaxian Game B 40420 pts

2) Beamrider Skill 3 20836 pts

3) Pengo Intermediate 133080 pts

• Like 3

Not much to say here. I played Super Mario Land 2 for the first time. It's... a Mario game. Also played that Einhänder that I bought like a year and a half ago for the first time.

FC
Akumajou Densetsu - 19

Neo Geo AES/MVS
Garou: Mark of the Wolves - 14
Metal Slug 3 - 10

PS1
Einhänder - 15

Saturn
Layer Section - 16
Thunder Force AC - 35
Thunder Force V - 96

Arcade