IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2021 (Season 14)

carlsson

It could be noted that the SNES and Game Boy titles published through Activision are dated 1993 while the Capcom arcade and the Atari Jaguar games are dated 1994. I read that the arcade game was intended to be a tie-in to a movie that never got made, and perhaps at that point Activision still held most of the console rights meaning that Capcom could not enter, in particular as the other AvP games were just freshly hatched (yeah, my attempt at an Alien reference). The entire crossover franchise was created in 1989-90 which explains why so relatively many were hunting the same ball, in particular if a movie was about to the made, whether or not the games were based on it. Note that the Windows FPS is from 1999 which is over a half decade from the SNES game plus that quite possibly console and computer rights are handled separately.

• Like 2

On 4/1/2021 at 4:16 AM, Nintendo64 said:

That is one game I have on my bucket list to complete, now especially since I finally finished the NES Metroid. Did it really take you 15 years to find that last power bomb tank? I am just wondering because if so, that is some dedicated gaming to not go look up where the room is located on youtube. I can understand if it did because that game looks like a giant puzzle. It also took me a really long time to getting around to finally completing Metroid on the NES myself.

Yeah, I didn't actively look for it or anything else, but there are a few items that I have been looking for for a long while: the final Super Missile is the one that really bothers me the most. I recently found the final Energy Tank that I was missing. I used to know where all of the Reserve Tanks are, but I forgot a few years ago when I couldn't play the game since I didn't have a TV that I could plug my SFC into. For any Metroid (except Prime), I care about my overall completion time more than I care about my item percentage; anything over 2 hours I consider to be garbage, so I make absolutely sure that I make it under that time, even if I have to skip items to get it, but I still do try to get as many items as I can. I almost didn't make it this time, but I had less than 1 minute left in the end.

For Prime... I just kind of play it any have fun with it and take my time. Prime 2, Prime 3, and Samus Returns on the 3DS... yeah, don't bother playing those.

• Like 2

Since I don't foresee myself playing more today, I'll go ahead and put in my times for the week.

PS1

Suikoden - 390 min (Kinda annoyed at the ending.  I'm pretty sure I had all 108 characters, but still got the "bad" ending.  I have a game save at the point of no return spot, so I may have to go back and recheck to see if there's anyone I missed.  I wasn't using a guide, but I did go through a list and feel like I had all of them.  Maybe there's some glitches known in the downloaded version from the PS3 store?  Oh well, not too worried about it, but I still wasn't too happy.)

Suikoden II - 360 min (Yep, went from 1 right into 2.  Love the quality of life upgrades in the sequel.  Item management is much better, but also little things like when you stay at an inn to rest/save.  In the first one, you would talk to the innkeeper and have the option of stay, save or quit.  So if you wanted to rest and save, you'd have to talk to them, select stay, and stay the night, then talk to them again and select save to save.  In S2, you have the options of stay, stay and save, or quit.  So you can do the stay and save in one step.  Much nicer.)

• Like 4

I'm kind of tired, so I'll just post my thing 46 minutes early and go to sleep.

Genesis/MD
Fire Shark - 5
Hellfire - 11
Time Dominator 1st - 49
Truxton - 21
Zero Wing - 69

Arcade
In the Hunt - 18
Psycho Soldier - 11
Space Harrier - 9

FC/NES
Akumajou Densetsu - 52

Neo Geo AES/MVS
Andro Dunos - 9
Garou: Mark of the Wolves - 110
The King of Fighters '98 - 20
Neo Turf Masters - 6
Real Bout Fatal Fury - 33
Sonic Wings 2 - 12

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 4

Atari 8-bit:
Galaxian [1982] - 110 min.

C64:
Alien Attack - 7 min.
Galaxian - 13 min.
Galaxions - 6 min.
Invasor - 4 min.
Swoop [Micro Power] - 4 min.
Swooper - 5 min.
Tiradians - 7 min.
Xerons - 5 min.

VIC-20:
Galaxian - 15 min.
Star Battle - 10 min.

So I played a decent amount of Galaxian on the A8, and for variation I wanted to try both some of the official ports (there were 14 different home versions, I read on Mobygames) and some of the clones. Out of those C64 and VIC versions I tried, neither feel as playable as the A8 version. If you want to read more about those games, I posted here about the C64 games and here on the two VIC games.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 2

Here are my times for this past week (March 29th through April 4th) for classic systems:

Commodore 64:

Juice - 22

Legend of the Amazon Women - 510 minutes in 6 sessions

ZX-Spectrum:

Legend of the Amazon Women - 16 minutes in 2 sessions

This week I concluded playing "Amazon women" with a big bang... I even cheated a bit when completing it (you don't die until you're upright, so if you stay crouched and let the arrows fly above your head, you can gain points until you get an extra life). I also replayed the ZX Spectrum version a bit, but I can't quite get the hang of it.

Then I played a bit of Juice which is a variant on Q*bert.

• Like 3

Atari 2600:

Circus Convoy - 90 minutes 

Mouse Trap - 10 minutes

Sega Genesis:

Tyrants: Fight Through Time - 10 minutes

Zool - 25 minutes

Jurassic Park: Rampage Edition - 25 minutes

Wonder Boy in Monster World - 35 minutes

Sega 32X:

Blackthorne - 45 minutes

Nintendo Game Boy:

Mercenary Force - 15 minutes

Nintendo Game Boy Advance:

Jurassic Park III Park Builder - 10 minutes

Top Gear Rally - 15 minutes

Pac Man Collection - 20 minutes

Sega Game Gear:

Wonder Boy the Dragon’s Trap - 35 minutes

(these following were on the Turbografx Mini)

NEC Turbografx 16/PCE

New Adventure Island - 15 minutes

Gradius - 20 minutes

NEC CD systems:

Sapphire - 15 minutes

Lords of Thunder - 15 minutes

I clearly am missing something with these games because I just get massacreed. These represent several games each...

Tiger R-Zone:

Millennium Falcon Challenge - 25 minutes (almost exactly like the Star Trek TNG handheld, so it’s one of my favorites)

Indy 500 - 20 minutes (more comprehensible than Daytona, so far more frustrating about leaving you staring at the bumper of another car)

Jedi Adventure - 10 minutes

NiGHTS - 10 minutes

Tiger game.com:

Jeopardy - 40 minutes (much more challenging than most versions because 35% of my screen where the clue is is dead :D)

Batman and Robin - 35 minutes (actually quite a respectable game)

Lights Out - 25 minutes

Solitaire - 15 minutes

Quiz Wiz - 15 minutes (see Jeopardy)

Scrabble - 10 minutes (very finicky selection mechanics)

Williams Arcade Classics - 5 minutes

Wheel of Fortune - 15 minutes

Tiger handhelds that were or should have been R-Zone games:

Jet Moto - 20 minutes (reach exceeded their grasp here, but an impressive attempt with all the core mechanics, force feedback, and digitized sound)

Warhawk (Game Grip) - 15 minutes (pretty good)

Road Rash 3 (Game Grip) - 25 minutes (this is presumably the same as the R-Zone version, would be quite successful if not for the wonky controls)

also, not sure if it counts as a video game:

Lights Out - 35 minutes for comparison testing with the game.com version

And finally

Atari Jaguar:

K-A Aircars - 20 minutes

Saucer Wars - 20 minutes

• Like 4

My times for the week:

NES:

Action 52 - 8 min.
Batsu & Terry - 12 min.

Star Voyager - 66 min.

Master System:
Rambo: First Blood Part II - 22 min.

Super Tennis - 23 min.

Beat Star Voyager for the umpteenth time, and Super Tennis for the second -- in both cases, for one of those "beat all the games" efforts.

• Like 3

Soldier Blade (PC Engine) 42 mins
Cyber Core (PC Engine) 36 mins

Star Parodia (PC Engine CD) 47 mins

Nexzr (PC Engine CD) 21 mins
Seirei Senshi Spriggan (PC Engine CD) 17

Nova Blast (Colecovision) 24 mins
Cosmic Avenger (Colecovision) 18 mins
Donkey Kong (Colecovision) 9 mins
Qbert (Colecovision) 6 mins

Streets of Rage 2 (Genesis) 43 mins
Thunder Force III (Genesis)  23 mins
FireShark (Genesis)  28 mins

Power Strike/Aleste (Sega Master System) 22 mins
Power Strike II (Sega Master System) 15 mins

Super Bomberman (SFC/SNES) 23 mins

Super Mario 64 (N64) 13 mins

Edited by DragonGrafx-16
  • Like 3

A2600 

Super Breakout 65 

Phoenix 5 

C64 

Arkanoid 48 

Intellivision 

Atlantis 60 

Demon Attack 29 

Pinball 27 

Shark Shark 2 20 

Super Pro Baseball 2 

More repairing/refurbishing controllers this week and then testing them with various games.  I have one set of paddles where someone almost definitely used WD40 on the pot, so while it works ok, that is a candidate for me to replace it with a new one.  I'm still testing all my paddles to see if I have an even worse set.

On the Intellivision side, I completed another flashback adapter and I repaired a broken cord on a Sears Intellivision hand controller.  It works but it is very dirty, so I am going to take it apart and clean it.  I also plan to put a new membrane in there.

• Like 3

Atari Jaguar:

NBA Jam TE - 30 mins

DOS PC:

Mechwarrior 2 - 15 mins

On 3/29/2021 at 5:59 PM, Skippy B. Coyote said:

I'm not surprised! I'm pretty good at Super Mario Bros. 3 but can't play Super Mario World worth a darn. The controls in SMW feel super floaty and slippery to me! :lol:

She blamed it on the layout of the buttons. To her the spin jump was in the same place as the NES controller jump.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Nintendo Game Boy Advance:

Jurassic Park III Park Builder - 10 minutes

Top Gear Rally - 15 minutes

Pac Man Collection - 20 minutes

also, not sure if it counts as a video game:

Lights Out - 35 minutes for comparison testing with the game.com version

I'll add the GBA games to the Modern tracker.

Regarding Lights out, is it similar to this one?

maxresdefault.jpg

I suppose it can go into handhelds even though it doesn't have a LCD display, although it is a borderline case. Merlin by Parker Brothers wasn't logged, and neither was Simon by Milton Bradley. In both cases there is some kind of logic involved, so I suppose by some stretching of the video game concept (after all those early PDP computers also didn't have dedicated displays), it can go here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yep, that’s the one! Sorry about misclassifying the GBA. Is the year 2000 the cutoff?

Edit: ack, forgot to include Exidy’s Mouse Trap (2600) - 10 minutes, which I played between bouts of Circus Convoy. I used to reflexively dismiss Pac clones, but I have since realized I like several of them more than the real thing. Not this one, though, but it’s okay. When I first got this as a kid I hated it because it was not the primitive version of the Atari ST game I had hoped it would be. I added it in but no worries if you have to leave it out.

• Like 4

Here are my retro times for the week.

Atari 2600

Centipede                                                                      -10 Minutes   This is a really fun shooter that is also difficult to reach the later levels in the game. Its interesting after all these years of mainly playing NES and onward, how much I have enjoyed playing the Atari 2600.

NES

Adventures of Lolo 3 Eggerland Mystery Hack            -30 Minutes   This is a really different type of puzzle game in a series that I have enjoyed playing for the past couple of years. Some of these hacks are really difficult, almost to the point of impossibility without mid-in-game save states on certain levels. I really enjoy this series and highly recommend it.

Tetris                                                                              -20 Minutes  I have always enjoyed this game ever since the first time I played it on the gameboy, which seems like forever ago. This is a very difficult game to master in my opinion, but it doesn't stop me from trying to get as far as I possibly can.

Sega Genesis

Altered Beast                                                                 -70 Minutes  I finally beat this game after all of these years. It's been one of those games that I put off in trying to complete, but I am glad I finally did. I remember getting it as a pack in title for the Sega Genesis back in the late 80s. Its funny looking back at some of these old games and remembering that the giant characters/sprites in a game was a really big deal back then.

Super Nintendo

Contra 3 Alien Wars                                                      -15 Minutes This is a very fun but difficult version of Contra. I have always enjoyed the series, but this one might be too anxiety-inducing/difficult one for me to beat without save states.

PS1

Tomb Raider 2                                                               -110 Minutes I can understand why so many minutes have been tracked in this game thus far, as for I am really enjoying playing this game. I actually stopped playing it this week to revisit the first in the series. I usually like to play the first game in the series before the second, but either way both have been really enjoyable.

Edited by Nintendo64
  • Like 5

Quite a week for gaming around here this past week, with a whole slew of great games played across a small variety of systems. I spent most of the week just enjoying arcade games on my MVSX, now that I've finished doing all the software modding I wanted to do to it and have the full Neo Geo MVS/AES library installed on it along with my own custom menu of 72 of my personal favorite non-Neo Geo arcade games. As well as returning to my old favorites Aliens and Ms. Pac-Man, I checked out a bunch of new games I had never played before this week and my favorite was definitely The Last Blade and The Last Blade 2. The sequel had better graphics, possibly the most beautiful I've seen on the Neo Geo, but I liked the gameplay of the original a little better. In the original the timing needed to deflect attacks and perform combos was a lot more forgiving, and as a big fan of violent video games from the 16-bit era I really appreciated the blood in the original too; which was sadly removed from the sequel. In other gaming news the misses spent a good bit of time playing Castlevania: Symphony of the Night for the first time in a few years this past week, and I finally (for the first time ever) finished Tomb Raider II with 100% of the secrets found and collected! That was definitely the gaming highlight of the week for me this week :)

DSC00840.thumb.JPG.607c0de241002fb537da623bbb024461.JPG

Arcade

Aliens - 83 minutes

Alien vs. Predator - 55 minutes

Frogger - 6 minutes

Ms. Pac-Man - 25 minutes

Ms. Pac-Man (Speed-Up Hack) - 8 minutes

Pac-Man - 15 minutes

RoboCop - 31 minutes

Street Fighter II': Champion Edition - 24 minutes

Super Street Fighter II - 5 minutes 

Neo Geo MVS/AES

Garou: Mark of the Wolves - 7 minutes

King of Fighters '98 - 10 minutes

Metal Slug - 56 minutes

Metal Slug 3 - 41 minutes

Neo Turf Masters - 15 minutes

Samurai Shodown II - 18 minutes

The Last Blade - 59 minutes

The Last Blade 2 - 132 minutes

Sega Genesis

Mortal Kombat - 31 minutes

PlayStation

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - 469 minutes

Tomb Raider II - 330 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week

1,420 minutes (23 hours 40 minutes) [1,420 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

PlayStation: 799 minutes

Neo Geo MVS/AES: 338 minutes

Arcade: 252 minutes

Sega Genesis: 31 minutes

• Like 5

Here's the summary for Week 13, running from March 29 - April 4. We logged 5961 minutes of eligible play, playing 129 games on a total of 25 systems.

Top 10:

1. Legend of the Amazon Women (C64) - 510 min.
2. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PlayStation) - 469 min.
3. Tomb Raider II (PlayStation) - 440 min. (#2)
4. Suikoden (PlayStation) - 390 min. (#1)
5. Suikoden II (PlayStation) - 360 min.
6. Dark Cavern (Atari 2600) - 333 min.
7. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 139 min. (#3)
8. Last Blade 2 (Neo Geo AES/MVS) - 132 min.
9. Garou: Mark of the Wolves (Neo Geo AES/MVS) - 117 min.
10. Galaxian (Atari 8-bit) - 110 min.
10. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 110 min. (#6)

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Legend of the Amazon Women (C64) - 510 min. (#4)
2. Dark Cavern (Atari 2600) - 333 min. (#7)
3. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 139 min. (#1)
4. Galaxian (Atari 8-bit) - 110 min.
4. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 110 min. (#2)
6. Circus Convoy (Atari 2600) - 90 min.
7. Super Breakout (Atari 2600) - 65 min.
8. Atlantis (Intellivision) - 60 min.
9. Arkanoid (C64) - 48 min.
10. Stack Game (Atari 2600) - 40 min.

Top 10 systems:

1. PlayStation (1659) (#1)
2. Atari 2600 (845) (#2)
3. C64 (631) (#6)
4. Neo Geo AES/MVS (528) (#5)
5. Genesis (445)
6. NES/Famicom (293) (#4)
7. Arcade (290) (#3)
8. Game.com (160)
9. Intellivision (138) (#9)
10. ColecoVision (120)

Whichever the legend about the Amazon women says, it probably didn't predict it becoming the most played game this week, but that is exactly what happened. It is followed by four strong PlayStation games and Dark Cavern on the 2600. While it doesn't make the overall top 10, it can be noted that the new Circus Convoy from Audacity Games at least enters the pre-NES list, though of course the classic Activision game Kaboom! still is 20 minutes ahead of this game by former Activision employees. System wise, like I mentioned the PlayStation has a strong lineup in overall positions 2-5 which brings it to the total win.

This week we have three new members in the 1000 Minute Club:

#440 Legend of the Amazon Women (C64) - 1477 min.

#441 Dark Cavern (Atari 2600) - 1114 min.

#442 Neo Turf Masters (Neo Geo AES/MVS) - 1003 min.

In the all-time stats, Solar Fox becomes the second game (after Kaboom!) to break the 30K barrier with 30,093 min. It also happens to be the most played game so far this year (2741 min) though Suikoden on the PS1 is not far behind (2510 min).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 4/5/2021 at 9:50 AM, Atarian7 said:

Dark Cavern

I really need to try to play more of this game. Like I stated before, it seems like a really fun pacman style shooter.

On 4/6/2021 at 1:24 AM, Skippy B. Coyote said:

Tomb Raider II

I am definitely going to play this through after I play through the original Tomb Raider. I am really enjoying this series, and might be one of the biggest 3D adventure/exploring games I have ever played.

On 4/5/2021 at 10:58 AM, wongojack said:

Demon Attack

Glad to see you got in some time for one of my favorite games on the Atari 2600. I didn't even realize this game was available for the Intellivision, which also looks like a fun and challenging game. It's interesting that all of the enemies shoot at you in this version, and the graphics look a lot different as well.

On 4/4/2021 at 10:26 PM, agb said:

Pacman 10

Super Mario 2

These are two great games and I'm glad to see them on your list. I really should try to revisit Super Mario 2 as for I haven't played that one in a while. 

On 4/4/2021 at 10:03 PM, DragonGrafx-16 said:

Soldier Blade

This looks like a really good shooter for the system that has plenty of shooters. It kind of reminds me of Final Soldier.

On 4/3/2021 at 3:46 AM, Steven Pendleton said:

Yeah, I didn't actively look for it or anything else, but there are a few items that I have been looking for for a long while: the final Super Missile is the one that really bothers me the most. I recently found the final Energy Tank that I was missing. I used to know where all of the Reserve Tanks are, but I forgot a few years ago when I couldn't play the game since I didn't have a TV that I could plug my SFC into. For any Metroid (except Prime), I care about my overall completion time more than I care about my item percentage; anything over 2 hours I consider to be garbage, so I make absolutely sure that I make it under that time, even if I have to skip items to get it, but I still do try to get as many items as I can. I almost didn't make it this time, but I had less than 1 minute left in the end.

For Prime... I just kind of play it any have fun with it and take my time. Prime 2, Prime 3, and Samus Returns on the 3DS... yeah, don't bother playing those.

Hellfire

Truxton

I think it would take me way more than 2 hours to complete that game, but I have never played it through before. Either way I like the fact that you played the game without looking on youtube for those particular items. I am trying to do that with Tomb Raider right now, as for I am stuck on the 3rd level and can't find where to go.

Also Hellfire and Truxton look like really good shooters.

23 hours ago, carlsson said:

While it doesn't make the overall top 10, it can be noted that the new Circus Convoy from Audacity Games at least enters the pre-NES list, though of course the classic Activision game Kaboom! still is 20 minutes ahead of this game by former Activision employees.

In the all-time stats, Solar Fox becomes the second game (after Kaboom!) to break the 30K barrier with 30,093 min. It also happens to be the most played game so far this year (2741 min) though Suikoden on the PS1 is not far behind (2510 min).

Just wondering what you mean by former Activision employees?

That is also very interesting that Solar fox has gotten that much time noted in the game tracker, and that it is the number one game played for the current year.

Also as always thanks for taking the time to add up the minutes for the current week, I really do appreciate it.

Edited by Nintendo64
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Nintendo64 said:

I really need to try to play more of this game. Like I stated before, it seems like a really fun pacman style shooter.

I am definitely going to play this through after I play through the original Tomb Raider. I am really enjoying this series, and might be one of the biggest 3D adventure/exploring games I have ever played.

Glad to see you got in some time for one of my favorite games on the Atari 2600. I didn't even realize this game was available for the Intellivision, which also looks like a fun and challenging game. It's interesting that all of the enemies shoot at you in this version, and the graphics look a lot different as well.

These are two great games and I'm glad to see them on your list. I really should try to revisit Super Mario 2, as for I haven't played that one in a while. 

This looks like a really good shooter for the system that has plenty of shooters. It kind of reminds me of Final Soldier.

I think it would take me way more than 2 hours to complete that game, but I have never played it through before. Either way I like the fact that you played the game without looking on youtube for those particular items. I am trying to do that with Tomb Raider right now, as for I am stuck on the 3rd level and can't find where to go.

Also Hellfire and Truxton look like really good shooters.

That is also very interesting that Solar fox has gotten that much time noted in the game tracker, and is the number one game played for the current year.

Also as always thanks for taking the time to add up the game times for the current week, I really do appreciate it.

Soldier Blade is part of the same series as Final Soldier. It's the 4th game in the series. The first was on NES/Famicom.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Nintendo64 said:

Activision was formed on October 1, 1979 by four former Atari employees who were upset how Atari treated them. These four were David Crane (16 games), Alan Miller, Bob Whitehead and Jim Levy. Later on, Garry (7 games) and Dan Kitchen (9 games) also worked on making games for Activision.

Now quite recently, a new company called Audacity Games was formed, consisting of David Crane and the brothers Dan and Garry Kitchen. So far they have released one brand new cartridge game for the Atari 2600 - Circus Convoy. A second game, Casey's Gold is planned to be released soon.

Thus my reference to that Circus Convoy by David Crane & Garry Kitchen was 20 minutes behind Kaboom! by David Crane & Larry Kaplan, though released 40 years apart.

• Like 4