IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2021 (Season 14)

carlsson

3 hours ago, carlsson said:

Oh yes, I have been meaning to ask which game you refer to as (Japan). Per my notes there are three DC games: Sonic Adventure 1, Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Adventure International (JP) which you played earlier this year. Would those four entries belong to SA 1 or SA Int, or even a fourth entry?

So Sonic Adventure (Japan) is the original Japanese version of Sonic Adventure. This version of the game was never released outside of Japan and remains exclusive to the Japanese Dreamcast. Sonic Adventure International was initially released overseas as Sonic Adventure and then later released in Japan as Sonic Adventure International. This is the version that all of the various rereleases are based on. There are a lot of bug fixes and changes to object and camera placement in International, but the music is also of lower quality than the original Japanese version and is missing some of the online stuff from the Japanese version... not that the servers exist anymore.

• Like 5

Atari 2600

Bowling 24. HS 245. Lots of fun. 
Checkers by Activision. 57. First time trying. Not bad. 
Eggomania 107. HS this week of 115,970

Kaboom  39. 
River Raid 2 - 21. Like the first river raid better. 
Solar Fox 73

Spiderman 5. 
Star Wars Empire Strikes Back. 16. 

C7E122AD-BB34-4C65-88E6-13D8B986DFF5.jpeg

• Like 5

Inspired by recent new game news, I spent some time with Centipede, Millipede, and Black Widow; I set PRs for myself on the three games.  I forgot how much fun it is to play the arcade Black Widow.

Arcade:

Black Widow - 60 minutes

Centipede - 60 minutes

Millipede - 60 minutes

• Like 6

Here's the summary for Week 39, running from Sept 27 - Oct 3. We logged 2582 minutes of eligible play, playing 63 games on a total of 15 systems.

Top 10:

1. Metroid (NES/Famicom) - 180 min.
2. Tetris (Game Boy) - 165 min.
3. Sakura Taisen 2: Kimi, Shinitamou Koto Nakare (Dreamcast) - 137 min.
4. Castlevania: Chronicles (PlayStation) - 132 min.
4. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 132 min. (#5)
6. Jr. Pac-Man (Arcade) - 114 min.
7. Eggomania (Atari 2600) - 107 min. (#1)
8. Sakura Taisen (Dreamcast) - 100 min.
9. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 98 min.
10. Black Widow (Arcade) - 60 min.
10. Centipede (Arcade) - 60 min.
10. Millipede (Arcade) - 60 min.

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 132 min. (PN#2)
2. Jr. Pac-Man (Arcade) - 114 min.
3. Eggomania (Atari 2600) - 107 min. (PN#1)
4. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 98 min. (PN#6)
5. Black Widow (Arcade) - 60 min.
5. Centipede (Arcade) - 60 min.
5. Millipede (Arcade) - 60 min.
8. Activision Checkers (Atari 2600) - 57 min.
9. Apple Cider Spider (C64) - 52 min.
10. Hunchy II (Atari 2600) - 36 min.

Top 10 systems:

1. Atari 2600 (636) (#1)
2. NES/Famicom (525) (#2)
3. Arcade (294) (#6)
4. Dreamcast (268)
5. Game Boy (200)
6. PlayStation (132)
7. TG-16/PC Engine (110) (#5)
8. Fairchild Channel F (85) (#7)
9, Sega Saturn (68)
10. Atari 8-bit (52) (#9)
10. C64 (52)

This week, three full hours of gaming was all that it took to end up in first place, something Metroid on the NES achieved and Tetris on the Game Boy came reasonably close to. On the pre-NES list, Kaboom! was the only game to exceed two full hours, returning as the premier paddle game. Systems wise the top two are unchanged from last week.

No new entries to the 1000, 5000 or 10000 Minute clubs.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Oops! I typed that as 100 minutes, not 1007 minutes.

We logged 3489 minutes of eligible play, playing 63 games on a total of 15 systems.

Top 10:

1. Sakura Taisen (Dreamcast) - 1007 min.

2. Metroid (NES/Famicom) - 180 min.
3. Tetris (Game Boy) - 165 min.
4. Sakura Taisen 2: Kimi, Shinitamou Koto Nakare (Dreamcast) - 137 min.
5. Castlevania: Chronicles (PlayStation) - 132 min.
6. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 132 min. (#5)
7. Jr. Pac-Man (Arcade) - 114 min.
8. Eggomania (Atari 2600) - 107 min. (#1)
9. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 98 min.
10. Black Widow (Arcade) - 60 min.
10. Centipede (Arcade) - 60 min.
10. Millipede (Arcade) - 60 min.

Top 10 systems:

1. Dreamcast (1175)
2. Atari 2600 (636) (#1)
3. NES/Famicom (525) (#2)
4. Arcade (294) (#6)
5. Game Boy (200)
6. PlayStation (132)
7. TG-16/PC Engine (110) (#5)
8. Fairchild Channel F (85) (#7)
9, Sega Saturn (68)
10. Atari 8-bit (52) (#9)
10. C64 (52)

Well, it adds one member (#459) to the 1000 Minute Club for sure...

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I've spent more of my time playing Switch and XBox, so not so much on the Classic Front other than a couple of 'the usual suspects'.

Arcade:

Black Widow -- 120 minutes

Pac-Man -- 120 minutes

With the news of a 'remaster' at the end of the month I've been reacquainting myself with Black Widow.  I forgot how much fun this twin-stick shooter is; it has some really engaging gameplay and super satisfying sound effects. :)

• Like 6

Sakura Taisen 25th anniversary marathon continues. 3 Sakura Taisen games and a random Castlevania game.

Dreamcast
Sakura Taisen 2 ~Kimi, Shinitamou Koto Nakare~ -  1011 (estimate)

So yeah, this was the #5 best-selling game on the Saturn in Japan and it's easy to see why since it's a great game and way better than its predecessor in basically every way. This game doesn't actually keep track of your time properly, it seems; I noticed it early but didn't bother to confirm it until halfway through the final disc, where I put a timer on, fought a battle for 32 minutes, and then the game only added 18 minutes to my timer. What the hell, Sega? Oh well, too late now. Done with this game (Sakura's ending again, of course), which means that Oogami got reassigned to Paris. Goodbye for now, Teikoku Kagekidan. I will miss all of you except stupid Iris over the course of the next game, but I'll see you all again soon in Sakura Taisen 4.
Sakura Taisen 3 ~Paris ha Moeteiru ka~ - 237

あああ 素晴らしい 巴里華撃団

So it's Paris and the game got a massive graphical upgrade again with official VGA support (strangely not listed on the back of the box, though it is there), an almost completely new cast aside from Oogami, and the ARMS battle system that later evolved into the Valkyria Chronicles battle system. It's very easy to see the massive influence that this series was on the later Valkyria Chronicles, which was done by mostly the same development staff. I wasn't sure how to romanize the subtitle ~巴里は燃えるか~, as 巴里 is read/pronounced as Pari to match the French pronunciation of Paris, and of course the particle は is pronounced as wa instead of ha in this case, but whatever. Anyway, not sure how I feel about the new cast yet, but this is supposedly the best game in the entire series and it is the #7 best-selling Dreamcast game in Japan for a reason. Probably. Hopefully this game actually tracks my time properly...

Saturn
Hanagumi Taisen Columns - 43

Yay, it's Columns! Normally I'd say that Columns is ultra boring, but when you add in the Sakura Taisen LIPS system, an actual story with the cast from the first game, and its current used price of ~300 yen (lol) it becomes good fun for a ridiculously low price. Sega really did crap out an unbelievable amount of side stories and spinoffs and stuff when this series was popular between 1996~2005.

PS1
Castlevania Chronicles - 54

Still restarting every time I game over just to hear athe different soundtracks. Eventually I will make progress.

• Like 6

Here are my times for this past week (October 4th through 10th) on classic systems...

Arcade:

Jr. Pac-Man: 109 minutes in 6 sessions

Nothing new this week... new games, that is. A few more sessions on Jr. Pac-Man, but only on the weekend because I was pretty busy during the week. I haven't come particularly far either, still working on that goal to reach 60,000 points...

• Like 6

Only a couple classic game for me this week.

PS1

Castlevania:  Symphony of the Night - (60 min) - An old classic.  Playing some mainly because I was watching someone else play on Twitch and it always makes me want to play it when I watch someone else play it.

Diablo - (480 min) - Spent some time playing this one.  I've played through Diablo 3, but never really spent any time with 1 or 2.  It's slow, and clunky, and tedious, and there's a lot of backtracking and going back and forth to town to sell stuff because of the very limited inventory... but I'm having fun.  Been playing Warrior... about to start a Rogue.

• Like 6

Arcade:
World Rally (Championship) - 3 min.

Atari 8-bit:
Atari Invaders - 8 min.
Gorf - 20 min.

The arcade game is placed at our retro gaming club, and we decided to try to swap board afterwards. We found that the old buttons were in very bad shape and an attempt to quickly improve those rendered all buttons unusable. We had planned to get new buttons and joysticks for the arcade game anyhow, now it seems inevitable. Thus I didn't get to play any Ghosts 'n Goblins this week, or either of the games on the multi arcade board we bought a number of years ago but haven't installed. At least I got the opportunity to mount it on a plexiglass plate so it can be positioned correctly inside the arcade game.

• Like 5

Game Boy:

Tetris - 240 minutes

MZ-80K:

Numbertron - 85 minutes

Two systems, two games, and that's it for me. It was a busy week with other things going on, between being disappointed in the Battlefield 2042 Beta and picking up a full-scale Kenbak-1 replica I've been managing to keep myself busy.

I finally "bit the bullet" and bought a CleanJuice XL for my DMG, stupid me paid $35 for a 60-pack of AAs then instantly realized $35 is the same cost as the darn rechargeable mod. Handheld Legend isn't even that far from me, six hours driving, so standard shipping is only two days which makes me feel that much more like a fool. Oh well, other devices need AAs so it's not like it was really a waste of my money.

The MZ-80 finally got a proper place to sit, next to the PC-9801E in the bedroom, and I'm quite happy with that. Numbertron is still the only game I have, apparently another game Minesnake... well I really wanted to try Minesnake but I couldn't, they locked their itch.io page with it out, so that made me a bit sad. Oh well, maybe they have it elsewhere and Numbertron is still great fun!

Speaking of said Kenbak-1, that's going to end up eating most of my free time so I'll see if I get anything but Tetris in work downtime for next week. I signed up for a game jam with the full intent of using it to go about learning a new platform, not actually going for winning anything, so I have to hold true to myself and at least submit something. It'll be damn simple, 256 bytes of RAM and eight LEDs should make that obvious, but that's okay.

• Like 7

Not an auspicious week for sustained classic gaming fun.

NES

Vindicators - 25 minutes. It isn’t perfect but I love this one. It might be a case of pure nostalgia override. I wish the Lynx port had happened.

93AC2328-7F13-4AF1-AEEA-4C2B96FE07B9.thumb.jpeg.2958dbc0c529c05b57d3d69f18b2efbd.jpeg

Dizzy the Adventurer - 25 minutes. Got an Aladdin and all of the games for it for a pretty decent price. This one is my favorite so far.

Rygar - 15 minutes. Very similar to the Lynx but not quite as good looking and with a HUGE viewport. Good fun.

Little Nemo the Dream Master - 35 minutes. Some really marvelous graphics in this one, and a pretty fun and unique possession mechanic.

DuckTales (not ponytails or cottontails; no, DuckTales) - 20 minutes. Capcom at the height of their annis mirabilis.

PC Engine:

Bonze’s Adventure - 20 minutes of frustrating deaths.

Game Boy:

Burai Fighter Deluxe - 40 minutes. I have this game memorized for the first two difficulty settings for most of the game. It’s oddly entrancing.

• Like 6

Jeez, my gaming time is really down this summer/fall compared to previous years! I'd usually be logging 20 or 30 hours a week of gaming this time of year, but this year I've been so preoccupied with playing Nerf and modding Nerf blasters, tarantula keeping, and socializing with friends that it feels like I've hardly had time for gaming at all. 

I did manage to log a bit of Doom time on the Switch again this week, but don't have any classic gaming time to contribute. I'm definitely looking forward to life slowing down when the cold weather sets in so I can have a little more time for gaming. The Atari 2600 HSC starting up again in November is something I'm really looking forward to as well, though I gotta figure out the best way to play Atari 2600 games on a modern HDTV since my trusty old CRT will be finding a new home soon to make room for shelving to house tarantula enclosures. Any suggestions?

Edited by Skippy B. Coyote
  • Like 6

Here's the summary for Week 40, running from Oct 4 - 10. We logged 3460 minutes of eligible play, playing 32 games on a total of 12 systems.

Top 10:

1. Sakura Taisen 2: Kimi, Shinitamou Koto Nakare (Dreamcast) - 1011 min. (#4)
2. Diablo (PlayStation) - 480 min.
3. Tetris (Game Boy) - 240 min. (#3)
4. Sakura Taisen 3: Paris ha Moeteiru ka (Dreamcast) - 237 min.
5. Pac-Man Collection (Atari 7800) - 170 min.
6. Black Widow (Arcade) - 120 min. (#10)
6. Pac-Man (Arcade) - 120 min.
8. Jr. Pac-Man (Arcade) - 109 min. (#7)
8. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 109 min. (#6)
10. Tetris (NES/Famicom) - 102 min.

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Pac-Man Collection (Atari 7800) - 170 min.
2. Black Widow (Arcade) - 120 min. (PN#5)
2. Pac-Man (Arcade) - 120 min.
4. Jr. Pac-Man (Arcade) - 109 min. (PN#2)
4. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 109 min. (PN#1)
6. Numbertron (Sharp MZ-80K) - 85 min.
7. Plaque Attack (Atari 2600) - 75 min.
8. Space Invaders (Atari 2600) - 50 min.
9. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 39 min. (PN#4)
10. Dragonfire (Atari 2600) - 36 min.

Top 10 systems:

1. Dreamcast (1248) (#1)

2. PlayStation (594) (#6)
3. Arcade (352) (#4)
4. Atari 2600 (338) (#2)
5. Game Boy (280) (#5)
6. NES/Famicom (232) (#3)
7. Atari 7800 (170)
8. Sharp MZ-80K (85)
9. N64 (70)
10. Sega Saturn (43) (#9)

Sakura Taisen on the Dreamcast hands over #1 to Sakura Taisen 2 on the Dreamcast, well ahead of Diablo, Tetris and ... Sakura Taisen 3. However neither of those games qualify for the pre-NES list, meaning that Pac-Man Collection on the 7800 takes this title, 50 min ahead of the arcade games Black Widow (1982) and Pac-Man (1980). Systems wise, the Dreamcast holds onto first place, this time with PlayStation in second.

Sakura Taisen 2: Kimi, Shinitamou Koto Nakare (Dreamcast) follows its predecessor and becomes #460 in the 1000 Minute Club with a total of 1148 min.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

i don't know how you guys do so well tracking this stuff.  I have way too many random distractions to keep track of.

Main games:

PS5 - Yakuza Like A dragon (been grinding an hour or so a day so I can beat the final Millenium Tower in the Premium mode)

PS5 - Code Vein - 4 hours a week lately

Coin Ops

Xevious - 30 minutes

Ninja Baseball Bat Man  - 30 minutes

Go Go Mr Yamaguchi  - 30 minutes

Sasuke Vs Comander -  30 minutes (homework for the Intellivision version I am making)

Solar Warrior (Xain'd Sleena) - 1 hour.  I suck at this now. Back in college, I could run this game on 1 quarter. But trying again...

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Mik's Arcade said:

i don't know how you guys do so well tracking this stuff.  I have way too many random distractions to keep track of.

Main games:

PS5 - Yakuza Like A dragon (been grinding an hour or so a day so I can beat the final Millenium Tower in the Premium mode)

PS5 - Code Vein - 4 hours a week lately

Coin Ops

Xevious - 30 minutes

Ninja Baseball Bat Man  - 30 minutes

Go Go Mr Yamaguchi  - 30 minutes

Sasuke Vs Comander -  30 minutes (homework for the Intellivision version I am making)

Solar Warrior (Xain'd Sleena) - 1 hour.  I suck at this now. Back in college, I could run this game on 1 quarter. But trying again...

For me, I 'budget' my time around other junk at the house in pretty even increments so it makes it easier for me to make a note to myself how much time I spent.  :)  generally, I can count on a certain game being played for a couple hours a night for seven days, as example.

• Like 3