IGNORED

Jaguar emulation choices?

Koopa64

1 hour ago, Koopa64 said:

So, it’s now 2021. How is jaguar emulation these days? Is a PC still a requirement or can we now emulate the jaguar on console? 

Hasn't changed much

Project Phoenix seems like the best one,  it's Russian,  but there is a patch to make it English.   What I dislike about it is you are stuck with their UI,  you can't use your own.

Virtual Jaguar hasn't had updates lately,  it can run some things well, other things poorly

MESS/MAME can run some things Virtual Jaguar can't,  but it's far from complete.

Retroarch includes Virtual Jaguar, and has a console-like interface, and probably can be made to run on a console.

9 hours ago, zzip said:

Project Phoenix seems like the best one,  it's Russian,  but there is a patch to make it English.   What I dislike about it is you are stuck with their UI,  you can't use your own.

And you can't toggle PAL/NTSC.

And if you remove a ROM from the library interface it actually *deletes the file*

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Basically your only choice is Project Phoenix. There is no other viable choice in the world for Jaguar emulation. The only other viable option is an actual Jaguar. The exact same thing applies to 3DO emulation. It's Project Phoenix or an actual 3DO.

Some flaws for Project Phoenix, no save states and you have to be careful not to delete things from the Interface. But sadly it's essentially that or nothing as far as Jaguar and 3DO emulation go. It's practically flawless for these systems. 

Project Phoenix also runs ColecoVision and Sega 8 bit consoles (SMS/GG/SG1000). I imagine it's perfect for those as well. But there are so many prefect emulators for these you don't need this one. KEGA Fusion runs Sega 8 bit consoles and computers very well. MEKA runs Sega 8 bit consoles, computers, and ColecoVision very well (and has such a cool GUI). And ColEm is a perfect standalone ColecoVision emulator. So no need to use Project Phoenix when not necessary. 

There is still no viable option for Jaguar CD emulation in 2021. Blue Lightning is probably the only game worth checking out on it anyway. The system is worse than CD-i and CD32 if that's even possible.   

Edited by Class316

• 2 weeks later...