IGNORED

New BBS for Apple II GS's!

Byte Knight

1766023846_ScreenShot2021-01-01at5_07_15PM.thumb.png.2113b0bfeb30faedf52a5c991bd066b7.png

14367577_ScreenShot2020-12-27at11_22_12PM.thumb.png.2a40c3e8bd2ec051ca0462dfc05d3856.png

Here's a new full color ANSI BBS for IIgs and vintage Mac users! Jump on CQ II with Spectrum or your favorite color ANSI terminal program and browse the forums, play some awesome door games like LORD & Lemonade Stand, view thousands of Apple game-related text files, check out CNN headlines and the status of Covid, and play some live trivia. Telnet over to cqbbs.ddns.net:6800. Hope to see you there!

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
22 hours ago, Zap! said:

I'll check it out the next time I run my Mega STe. It's the only computer I have that's set up for logging onto a BBS.

Yes, check it out - we're over 200 door games now!  Hopefully you've got a good terminal program with ANSI emulation.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, doctor_x said:

weird a bbs that caters to apple 2 gs would be running syncronet or mystic or whatever that bbs software is above, on a PC....

It actually Mystic BBS software running on an early Mac Mini (which is as retro as I could make it), and caters to IIgs and Mac users.

CQ I BBS (port 6502) runs on my IIgs if you really desire that hardware, but it's strictly ASCII.

1 hour ago, doctor_x said:

weird a bbs that caters to apple 2 gs would be running syncronet or mystic or whatever that bbs software is above, on a PC....

No more strange than a website which caters to Atari 8-bit running on what is essentially a 64-bit PC.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 1 month later...
On 4/21/2021 at 5:30 PM, OLD CS1 said:

No more strange than a website which caters to Atari 8-bit running on what is essentially a 64-bit PC.

I find that weird too. I would actually prefer that the forum catered to people who have the real hardware.. I’m glad the forum exists regardless. I know first hand that running an emulated Apple 2 bbs is not that difficult - which is why I asked. To be honest with you, I was not even aware of the fact that we had a term program for the apple ][ that would display ANSI graphics/colors - if we do, please let me know what its called!

6 hours ago, doctor_x said:

I find that weird too. I would actually prefer that the forum catered to people who have the real hardware.. I’m glad the forum exists regardless. I know first hand that running an emulated Apple 2 bbs is not that difficult - which is why I asked. To be honest with you, I was not even aware of the fact that we had a term program for the apple ][ that would display ANSI graphics/colors - if we do, please let me know what its called!

I wish I could answer that question.  I can only say that my Apple 2 friends BITD participated in local BBSes, but they might have used ASCII modes.  Now, I did see a IIgs working on a local Wildcat BBS displaying ANSI graphics.  Perhaps there was no ANSI terminal for the A2, but for the IIgs?

13 hours ago, doctor_x said:

ProTERM for the Apple II will give you monochrome ANSI emulation and Spectrum for the IIgs will give you full color ANSI.  What's cool about Spectrum is that you can connect with an Uthernet II card or via serial port.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Byte Knight said:

ProTERM for the Apple II will give you monochrome ANSI emulation and Spectrum for the IIgs will give you full color ANSI.  What's cool about Spectrum is that you can connect with an Uthernet II card or via serial port.

Thats great news and thank you so much… I am SLOWLY building a 2gs system .. I need to get one of the new 8mb memory cards that you can get these days, a new power supply and I suppose I probably need at least an external 3.5” drive and I will be able to check Spectrum out along with AScii Expres, Proterm, etc…

• 1 month later...
22 hours ago, Zap! said:

I’m gonna join as soon as I go back inside (some after-midnight pool fun is going on right now lol). I know I said I’d logon from my Atari, but I will actually be calling from an IBM 5160 XT running Telix.

Ata boy - there's at least one other IBM user on there so you won't be lonely! ?

• Like 1

On 6/30/2021 at 11:55 PM, Byte Knight said:

Ata boy - there's at least one other IBM user on there so you won't be lonely! ?

Lol thanks! I really liked the ANSI art a lot. I’m actually logged on right now, about to play some Lemonade! ?

Anyway, here is a pic of my IBM in action.

55CE56C4-E1A0-4C93-AD57-8E58E26C31B3.thumb.jpeg.2690086de6c47d189a5f6bc1d3f6db09.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Byte Knight said:

Looks good on the old IBM!  Any luck beating my score?

Yeah but it's so slow on the 8088, I have to try it on another computer. I also have the Atari Mega STe, Atari 800 XL, a 386DX, Apple IIGS, and many more. Ahh, which to choose next...

I got within about half of your score, thinking I was good. Looks like I have some practicing to do! ?

• 4 months later...

Byte Knight - do you have any hard disk images for Apple IIGS setup to allow connecting? I have a Rom 3 IIGS and have tried getting the spectrum hard disk image to load but it keeps failing. I have 1.5 megs of ram so I figured that would be enough. Trying to use a WiFi serial modem but I need to configure it first by sending Hayes commands but not super familiar with Apple II stuff beyond the games I had as a kid.

19 hours ago, superseth said:

Just wanted to pop in and say that I got everything working...turns out one of the pins was bent on the old serial cable I grabbed out of a box and I wasted a TON of time before realizing it.

Anyway logged in for the first time tonight off the IIGS and super excited to explore your BBS.

Sorry for the late reply - glad you were able to get on.  Feel free to post some messages!  I'm responsible for about 90% of the messages on there...

Since my last post, I added the Newsroom command which has newsfeeds from callapple.org, macrumors, and Google news.  I also added an ANSI art viewer where you can view some old BBS login screens and ANSI art.

• Like 1