IGNORED

New Project: Conversion of Kangaroo Arcade to ColecoVision

Tony Cruise

Working on the graphics for a future Electric Adventures release for the MSX, Spectravideo and ColecoVision, a port of Kangaroo in the arcades.  

Quite a decent multi-screen platform game, that I always enjoyed back in the day.
Different aspect ratio, so the layout can't be perfect, but I think this captures the feel of the game so far.  

Image may contain: text that says "MSX/Coleco Sprite File Character Set Editor Edit Help Sprites Character Sets Screen Layouts Screen Layout Name: Level01 Sample Level01 UOODU Tileset Block tileset_1 Tileset Block tileset_ Tileset Block Del Prev Character Set lame tileset_ 030 Next 032 033 035 037 038 040 039 041 042 045 043 046 044 047 048 049 051 052 053 054 2014-20 Electric Adventures https://wweletridventures.net Display grid lines ove tiles Current Tile: 045 Version: Import From Clipboard Full Screen Editor"

More detail to be added to the greenery sections and of course sprites for our main player character, little Joey and Naughty Monkeys to follow.

Original arcade screen for reference:

No photo description available.

More updates to follow...

• Like 11

I played this game and enjoyed it in the arcade.

I always wanted a machine gun though for those monkeys on the far right that throw but are outside the reachable area and wont come close enough to punch. Cheat code enabled?

Great game please continue.

• Like 1

Minor update, after getting some more me time this afternoon:

Title Screen:

image.png.1877d2735b5d5e6983961d4874b20221.png

Stage One:

image.png.29675a75a1715133f55758261815f970.png

Stage Two:

image.png.d75b6abbe9b30d211463cb6556183f7f.png 

and some cheeky Monkeys in progress:

image.thumb.png.e3a9cebe8a8b449d393a9d5d8ef6c9c5.png

Back to working on finishing off my other titles, but happy that I can make a version of Kangaroo on the ColecoVision/MSX and Spectravideo look pretty good, so I'll put together a stub ROM soon.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Been a bit unwell for a while (again), but felt I could use the computer tonight and quickly made a rom shell, with the graphics I showed above.

No sprites in this one yet, but good to see the screens running.  I need to do the other level.

Sample Rom attached for any who are interested. 9k so far, but haven't turned any compression on.

Kangaroo.ROM

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

And while I am sort of stuck in a recliner, I did some more i.e. other two screens from the arcade.  None of these layouts/designs are final, but think it's not looking too bad so far.

I have added some sprites (as the monkey faces on screen four needed them), they are just hacked in and stationary so there is a bit of flicker evident at the moment.

I need to work on all the character animations, especially momma kangaroo.

Heaps of space left, 11k no compression used as yet.

Kangaroo.ROM

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks nice. Why no Sunsoft (back then Sun Electronics Corporation) copyright (Atari only distributed the game)? It looks like they had "licensed from Sun Electronics Corporation" on the flyers, but no in game copyright for Sunsoft, only "Atari Inc". Sunsoft definitely retains the rights, though. They recently licensed it to Hamster for the Arcade Archives on PS4 and Switch. 

Edited by BrianC
more information
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/3/2021 at 5:26 AM, BrianC said:

Looks nice. Why no Sunsoft (back then Sun Electronics Corporation) copyright (Atari only distributed the game)? It looks like they had "licensed from Sun Electronics Corporation" on the flyers, but no in game copyright for Sunsoft, only "Atari Inc". Sunsoft definitely retains the rights, though. They recently licensed it to Hamster for the Arcade Archives on PS4 and Switch. 

I was just copying the arcade screens.  If Sunsoft are the current license holder, I will need to change it.

How about "Kao-Roo" ? (like the game: Kao the Kangaroo)

Buy Youki and Insertclevernamehere suggestions are also great names.

Also, maybe "Hoppy" or "Skippy" (like the old tv show)