IGNORED

Modern Games Beaten in 2021

wongojack

I'll get the ball rolling with a new thread!

Today, I "Beat" Doom (2016) on XBox One. It was excellent!  Seriously, it may be the best game I played all year.  Great balance of challenge and helping the player along.  I liked the exploration AND the combat.  It was just the right amount of story and probably the perfect length.  I REALLY enjoyed it.  5/5

• Like 2

1. Marvel's Spider-Man Miles Morales (PS4 Pro)

I started this one on 12/30, so I'm not sure if it counts. Got 100% completion (in-game, not a platinum trophy since that requires some New Game+ hijinks) kind of by accident. Swinging around the city is so fun I'd just do every side mission as it popped up. After I finished the story there were only a couple of post-game ones that opened up. Finished it in about 16-17 hours, so it's pretty short compared to the original. 

Edited by derFunkenstein
  • Like 1

Hey Hey - I already finished another game in 2021

The Order 1886 for PS4 was reviewed harshly when it came out.  I can totally understand the complaints.  It is more of an interactive movie than a game, but if you compare it to others like The Walking Dead, Detroit Become Human, or Until Dawn then you get a ton more gameplay in The Order.  However, the story is something that, while creative, feels like a rejected comic book.  The dialog is very ordinary and while the characters seem deep, they really aren't.

Overall, I'd call this a fair attempt at interactive story telling, but not much else 3/5

• Like 1

Finished Cyberpunk 2077. Played on PC, had an 80 hour save file. Really enjoyed the game, despite a few bugs, but the world was both great looking and engaging.  And while I realize there are a number of different endings, I have a feeling the isn't the end of V's story....

• Like 1

I finished Doom VFR for the PS4 today.  It was excellent!  I've played a lot of PSVR games and this is right up there with the best.  Admittedly, it is really just a short add-on for Doom (2016), but they did some unique things from the base game that were fun.  I'll also give them credit for creating a VR game that didn't even give me a hint of VR sickness.  I was 100% on this one the whole time.  Great overall experience. 5/5

I forgot to post about another modern game that I finished this week.  This War of Mine: The Little Ones is a game that puts you in the role of a civilian hunkered down and trying to survive a modern-day seige of their city.  While it takes place in a fictional city, it was inspired by the siege of Sarajevo during the 90's Balkan war.  I actually have the base game on Steam, but I played this version with The Little Ones add-on included for Xbox One.  The game is really a multi stage game where stage one gives you a cross-section view of a house that your party is hiding in during the siege.  By day, you manage the group doing activities like cooking food or rolling cigarettes.  By night, you exit the building and play a 2d action platform-y stage where the goal is to search for supplies and explore various buildings across the city.  I failed to reach the ceasefire on my first playthrough which marks the end of the game, so I read some tips online which helped with my successful second playthrough.  It turns out that there are a lot of guides for this game that basically tell you how to kill all the bad guys that you encounter in the platform stages.  That was a surprise to me because I found it much easier to just avoid them and move on to easier targets where I could scavenge without getting into trouble.  I actually loaded a save game and intended to just try and fight a few people, but I simply found it easier to avoid combat.  

In the end, I really got hooked by this game.  I liked the survival aspect of it, and I enjoyed the sense of desperation that the limited resources provided.  I also really liked the fact that The Little Ones added in some children for you to help take care of.  This seems like it would be an annoyance, but it really made the game more interesting because you had to think more about survival and how to help along someone helpless.  I don't know if I would give this game any special honors, but I can definitely recommend it 4/5.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2021 at 10:47 AM, Agamon said:

Almost finished A Plague Tale: Innocence last month, but then Cyberpunk came out. But I got the last hour done this week.  Starts a little too easy, almost feels like a walking sim, but it gets trickier as it goes, and the story is interesting.

I just picked this up myself so hopefully try it soon :)

I finished Silicon Rising on Oculus Rift last night. Great fun, a bit short but not bad.

• Like 1

Just finished Walking Dead Onslaught on Oculus Rift. Not quite as good as I’d hoped, the knife and axe are a bit overpowered so once you figure that out you can pretty easily get past most walkers and never have to worry about ammo. Still it was fun and head stabbing a walker or chopping their heads off in VR never really gets old :)

• Like 1

Finished Metro Exodus, an improvement over the other ones in terms of gameplay but the ‘open world’ is largely uninteresting. It's got some weak sections where you're like where the hell do I go and some really hard bosses to beat that can be frustrating, the stealth in the game is crap…. but I like the story, the characters, the music etc. If it weren't for the story, you and your companions and the game being quite fun for the most part, it would have been a let down.

This is the second game I finished on the epic platform,  99% of the games I have on there I got as free downloads they do every month and I have a bunch, it's really too bad that they don't have achievements otherwise I’d play more games on there. 

Edited by cimerians
  • Like 1

1.) Cosmic Star Heroine - Nintendo Switch

This is a physical copy of the game that I beaten. I started the game in the later part of 2020 and didn't play it ever week. Comic Star Heroine is a very good  and quick rpg.

It is a cross of  Chrono Trigger and Phantasy Star. It also has a Suikoden element that recruiting people. For a turn based rpg, the battle system, sound and storyline were done well. The graphics are a 16 bit feel. The game is a 15 to 20 hour turn based rpg due to its side quests and the pacing of the game.

Edited by 8th lutz
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, 8th lutz said:

1.) Cosmic Star Heroine - Nintendo Switch

This is a physical copy of the game that I beaten. I started the game in the later part of 2020 and didn't play it ever week. Comic Star Heroine is a very good  and quick rpg.

It is a cross of  Chrono Trigger and Phantasy Star. It also has a Suikoden element that recruiting people. For a turn based rpg, the battle system, sound and storyline were done well. The graphics are a 16 bit feel. The game is a 15 to 20 hour turn based rpg due to its side quests and the pacing of the game.

I started this game years ago (steam) but put it away I need to get back to it and start it over and finish it it was fantastic from the little I played. 

Ok, this game might defy classification as "classic" or "modern."

I managed to reach the Armistice on the GBA version of Wings which is an extensively updated 2002 version of the classic Amiga game from 1990.  The game is really more of a "war is long" simulator than anything else.  Surprisingly, the length is kinda fun as it helps with the immersion into the life of a WWI fighter squadron.  The pilots didn't know when the war would end and wondered if the next mission would be their last.  The player gets much the same feeling while playing, and while one does improve as the game goes on, there's enough random chance and difficult situations that trying to keep a single pilot alive for the entire war is fruitless.  I think part of the lesson of the game is learning to accept that - interesting experience overall for sure.

At its best, the game combines action from 3 mini-games, and a storyline that follows a fictitious fighter squadron through the various campaign theatres of WWI.  The story is delivered through a journal that is revealed to you before each mission.  2 of the mini-games are improved and expanded from the Amiga version, but the Achilles' heal of the game is the dogfighting.  It is faster and smoother than the Amiga, but somehow more crowded.  The strategies I developed to become moderately successful at it involved basically ignoring all the realities of aerodynamics and just moving a crosshair around the screen to try and get some shots off.  Most deaths occur by running into a friendly or an enemy who is offscreen that you can't see until the animation kicks in to show you that you are dead.  That being said, it wasn't ruined for me.  I did manage to raise at least one pilot to Captain and reaching the end was . . . well it was the end of a war with all the good and bad that entails I guess.  4/5

• Like 3