IGNORED

Modern Games Beaten in 2021

wongojack

On 1/31/2021 at 3:10 PM, cimerians said:

Doom Eternal…which was pretty insane but I actually prefer 2016 Doom

On 2/4/2021 at 12:14 PM, Razzie.P said:

That seems to be the entirety of my last couple of months.  Feels like I broke the laws of mathematics and somehow quit more games that I've started.  Maybe I'm in a "grumpy old gamer" phase, but 

Doom Eternal -- Loved 2016, but a few hours in, I got sick of the whole "ammo economy" crap, as it seems to be called in the fandom.  Every fight was interrupted by having to chainsaw scrubs to replenish ammo.

But yeah, these "games we wanted to like but quit and will probably never touch again" thoughts would likely be a good subject for it's own thread.

On 2/4/2021 at 3:17 PM, cimerians said:

Doom Eternally Out of Ammo...and the parkour double dash sonic jumpfest almost killed it for me. 2016 is my go to modern Doom. 

I think the older I get the less tolerance I have. Oh well. 

I have also now quit Doom Eternal.  I think I played about 5-7 hours of it and got through the first two major missions.  The ammo harvest didn't bother me too much because I felt like there was enough chainsaw gasoline around.  Although I could see how it could get MUCH worse if the game wants that.  What initially bothered me was the Bethesda Net required login and the totally new story telling technique that ditched the mysterious sci-fi heavy near future setting for a fantasy angle and villains that seem like they might be straight out of a Power Rangers cartoon.  The arena fights were still there (and fun), but there were A LOT more opportunities to fall to your death in lava or some sh!+.  It helped that I played it through GamePass.  No remorse quitting that one.

• Like 1

I went through a big Gameboy/GBC/GBA push not too long ago.  I got out all my carts, cleaned them and made sure to play a lot of them.  I stuck with a few of those titles that I enjoyed till the end.  One that I was totally surprised by was Pitfall: The Lost Expedition for GBA.  I tend to like mult-stage games that mix up the gameplay and this has great examples of that with top-down, sidescrolling, and some arcade racing/shooting sections.  For me it was a very nice experience, and it seems the only negative reviews I find are all written by folks who expected it to be 100% sidescroller.  I give it a 4/5 and I've moved the Original XBox version up my backlog list as a result.

Pitfall-Harry-the-Lost-Expedition-GBA-Game-Boy-Advance-Activision-Xtreme-Retro-3.thumb.png.1f31024c65035f1d1ec1dfd0c3e477b6.png

• Like 2

6)  Record of Lodoss War-Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth (PC)

A pretty solid “Symphony of the Night” kind of game.   For the most part, it was a blast, and could be my favorite of the year, so far.

I’m not very familiar with the lore behind this franchise – it’s always something I’ve been interested in, but kept putting it off, so I haven’t read any books/watched any shows – so I guess I wasn’t 100% in tune with the story, as it seemed to sprinkle in some fan service.  As solid as the gameplay was, I’d imagine I’d be head over heels for this one, if I had any sort of built in familiarity (fan bias) beforehand.

• Like 2

On 3/29/2021 at 10:22 AM, Razzie.P said:

6)  Record of Lodoss War-Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth (PC)

A pretty solid “Symphony of the Night” kind of game.   For the most part, it was a blast, and could be my favorite of the year, so far.

I’m not very familiar with the lore behind this franchise – it’s always something I’ve been interested in, but kept putting it off, so I haven’t read any books/watched any shows – so I guess I wasn’t 100% in tune with the story, as it seemed to sprinkle in some fan service.  As solid as the gameplay was, I’d imagine I’d be head over heels for this one, if I had any sort of built in familiarity (fan bias) beforehand.

I remember there was a Dreamcast game based off the show, I think it was a Diablo clone. I'll have to get this, I added it to my wishlist on Steam. 

On 3/28/2021 at 12:39 PM, wongojack said:

I have also now quit Doom Eternal.  I think I played about 5-7 hours of it and got through the first two major missions.  The ammo harvest didn't bother me too much because I felt like there was enough chainsaw gasoline around.  Although I could see how it could get MUCH worse if the game wants that.  What initially bothered me was the Bethesda Net required login and the totally new story telling technique that ditched the mysterious sci-fi heavy near future setting for a fantasy angle and villains that seem like that might be straight out of a Power Rangers cartoon.  The arena fights were still there (and fun), but there were A LOT more opportunities to fall to your death in lava or some sh!+.  It helped that I played it through GamePass.  No remorse quitting that one.

I just got a gaming PC last November, playing modern games for the first time since the Wii/360 era.  I'm about 12 hours into Doom Eternal and I really want to finish it but it's tedious.  I would have been very happy wiht the game had it ended about halfway though.  Still going to pick it up again, but outside of frequent jumping/platform sections it actually is fun. They layered too many mechanics on it - I can't keep track of all the options to switch weapons, mods, armor weapons, grenades, punches, etc.  I pretty much just stick to the basic stuff and at least on easiest difficulty that's sufficient.  It also seems like a lot of times I'm either at completely full ammo, or completely out.  You burn through it really quick.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BydoEmpire said:

I just got a gaming PC last November, playing modern games for the first time since the Wii/360 era.  I'm about 12 hours into Doom Eternal and I really want to finish it but it's tedious.  I would have been very happy wiht the game had it ended about halfway though.  Still going to pick it up again, but outside of frequent jumping/platform sections it actually is fun. They layered too many mechanics on it - I can't keep track of all the options to switch weapons, mods, armor weapons, grenades, punches, etc.  I pretty much just stick to the basic stuff and at least on easiest difficulty that's sufficient.  It also seems like a lot of times I'm either at completely full ammo, or completely out.  You burn through it really quick.

My advice would be to play Doom (2016).  It was much better IMO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

7)  Trials of Mana (PS4)

After playing through (and pretty much hating) Secret of Mana, I decided to jump into the sequel, for some dumb reason.  But sure glad I did!  This game was fantastic!

I played the original for a couple of hours, then tried the remake, and the remake was the one that hooked me.  It “fixed” that broken “every swing is a miss” crap that I disliked about the previous game, which made it feel like a proper action RPG.  Almost like the modern Ys games, which I absolutely love, so that’s a win for me.

I’m really curious, though, to see how another play through works using different characters.  So much of the story seemed to be written around and for the characters I chose, I can’t imagine how it would be the same game/story when playing through with the others. 

Edit: 04.25 --- Looks like I wasn’t as finished as I thought.   After beating the game, you can reload to a point before you beat it to find there’s some sort of “post-game” content, which is a weird place to put it, it seems.   So had a few more hours to go.   Finished now, though.  Will probably come back to this one in the future to try the New Game + that was unlocked, but finished for now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2021 at 7:13 PM, Iwantgames:) said:

Not sure if this would be considered modern or not but I finished Half-Life today. Originally released in 1998 but I played a modded version on the Oculus Quest 2 which makes the whole game VR ❤️

I'm pretty sure that this isn't the thread for my question but I too have been playing through the Half Lifes and for the first time obtained the old German editions on PC as I wanted to see the Censored content etc. Anyway, the first game, no problem but none of the expansions will boot. I also don't speak German! Just wondered if anyone kindly has a solution? After installing Opposing Force it says something about not being able to locate OpFor.exe?

3 hours ago, Zap1982 said:

I'm pretty sure that this isn't the thread for my question but I too have been playing through the Half Lifes and for the first time obtained the old German editions on PC as I wanted to see the Censored content etc. Anyway, the first game, no problem but none of the expansions will boot. I also don't speak German! Just wondered if anyone kindly has a solution? After installing Opposing Force it says something about not being able to locate OpFor.exe?

I haven’t played the expansions since the 90s and never played the German versions 

• 2 weeks later...

8)  Dragon Quest  (Switch)

I've been in the mood to replay the first 3 Dragon Quest games, but instead of playing the originals again, I picked up the remaster/remake/mobile port (whatever the heck it is) on Switch.

I have a great appreciation for the simplicity and straightforwardness of the original.  Playing the Switch version for the first time didn’t disappoint at all.

• Like 1

I played through the campaign stories in Battlefield I.  You may remember that I had finished several versions of the game Wings earlier in the year, so I stuck with the WWI theme and pushed through BOne.  I also played some of the multiplayer operations which are certainly impressive, but I don't have the patience to actually improve in multi-player.  Among the campaign scenarios, I enjoyed being thrown into the Dardanelles campaign in "The Runner" the best, but they were all pretty engaging.

See the source image

• 2 weeks later...

9)  Zombie Army 4: Dead War (XBox Series X)

Ah, this was amazing from front to end.  I've always liked the Sniper Elite games, despite their rough edges, and enjoyed playing the Zombie Army Trilogy co-op with a friend, but this one (part 4) feels like it's finally become it's own, full fledged game, rather than a spinoff that the others were.

Difficulty was perfect (for me) pacing and atmosphere are spot on, and there are plenty of extras, in addition to a lengthy campaign.

Played it on via Gamepass, but I wouldn't have been at all disappointed it I'd bought it full price.

• Like 1

Finally finished Doom Eternal this afternoon.  It's the first modern game I've beaten since, I don't know, something on the xbox 360.  IMHO it would have been better at 20h or less than 30h.  I wasn't a big fan of all the jumping segments and the necessary ammo & health farming. That said, I did like and enjoy the game overall.  It certainly looked gorgeous.  Some of the levels were cool, I never felt too lost, all the secret stuff give a reason to explore a bit, and on easiest difficulty it wasn't too hard.  Challenging but not overly frustrating.

• Like 2