IGNORED

Modern Games Beaten in 2021

wongojack

I finished the rerelease of Scott Pilgrim vs. the World on Switch last week (with the eponymous Scott).  I felt like it was a pretty good homage to the River City games. :)

@wongojack - Doom 2016 is a supremely awesome game- I owned it on the XBox but really enjoyed the Switch version more.  I agree about the difficulty/gameplay balance.

• Like 3

On 1/25/2021 at 6:59 AM, digdugnate said:

I finished the rerelease of Scott Pilgrim vs. the World on Switch last week (with the eponymous Scott).  I felt like it was a pretty good homage to the River City games. :)

Great movie, great game, I beat it way back with my kid on the PS3 I'm glad the game has come back I thought it disappeared forever. 

• Like 1

I finished Agent A: A Puzzle in Disguise on the Switch in a sitting last night. I think it took about two hours. It is a mobile port, and it shows, but it is a very good game regardless of platform.

It is basically a virtual escape room, with very similar puzzles to ones I’ve encountered in real life escape rooms, although in the last two chapters it definitely takes a turn for the more traditional point and click adventure. It’s charming, looks and sounds great, and while it has little replay value it is a hugely entertaining, low busywork game for as long as it lasts. Towards the end I got a little frustrated at the backtracking I had to do, but that was mostly my fault for missing cues.

As a palate cleanser between some pretty hard retro games, it was a great time.

Are we allowed to post games that we start and then quit aka voluntarily will never touch again because it stinks? Not sure if Doom 3 is considered modern anymore but was sitting on my backlog since the original Xbox and I finally played it (BFG ed.) , I TRIED to like it but its god awful. I found this somewhere on the internet, reflects my thoughts exactly.

"Doom 3 sucked.

Lets take fun ass doom and make it this slow, boring corridor crawl with fucking key hunts like it's some ghetto system shock. The encounter design and pacing in that game is atrocious."

14 hours ago, cimerians said:

Are we allowed to post games that we start and then quit aka voluntarily will never touch again because it stinks?

That seems to be the entirety of my last couple of months.  Feels like I broke the laws of mathematics and somehow quit more games that I've started.  Maybe I'm in a "grumpy old gamer" phase, but 

Dragon Age Inquisition -- after a few days, I couldn't take it anymore.  Just felt like a boring slog with little to no progress in a story that seems complicated just for the sake of seeming high-brow important.  I'm a huge fan of parts 1 and 2 but this felt like a chore.

Doom Eternal -- Loved 2016, but a few hours in, I got sick of the whole "ammo economy" crap, as it seems to be called in the fandom.  Every fight was interrupted by having to chainsaw scrubs to replenish ammo.

Cyber Shadow -- this seems built on the worst parts of Ninja Gaiden and the like -- loads of small, flying critters knocking you into insta-death spikes/pits.  What kinda nutter thought the birds in Ninja Gaiden, Medusas in Castlevania, etc ect would be a great foundation for a fun time?

Ys IX came in Tuesday.   ?  I'm a huge fan of that series, and so far (6 hours in) it seems to be just right.

But yeah, these "games we wanted to like but quit and will probably never touch again" thoughts would likely be a good subject for it's own thread.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

Dragon Age Inquisition -- after a few days, I couldn't take it anymore.  Just felt like a boring slog with little to no progress in a story that seems complicated just for the sake of seeming high-brow important.  I'm a huge fan of parts 1 and 2 but this felt like a chore.

Doom Eternal -- Loved 2016, but a few hours in, I got sick of the whole "ammo economy" crap, as it seems to be called in the fandom.  Every fight was interrupted by having to chainsaw scrubs to replenish ammo.

Cyber Shadow -- this seems built on the worst parts of Ninja Gaiden and the like -- loads of small, flying critters knocking you into insta-death spikes/pits.  What kinda nutter thought the birds in Ninja Gaiden, Medusas in Castlevania, etc ect would be a great foundation for a fun time?

DAI - One word: Hinterlands. Game lost lots of fans. Deep into the game (and ignoring all the shard & option quests) it gets better.....but soooo many people I know shelved it. 

Doom Eternally Out of Ammo...and the parkour double dash sonic jumpfest almost killed it for me. 2016 is my go to modern Doom. 

Cyber Shadow, I haven't played but I know those damn piranha fish in Ninja Gaiden Black and of course the Medusa heads from a dev who hates his own game. Broken controllers abound because of that nonsense, makes you wonder why on earth someone would think to put that in their own game. 

I think the older I get the less tolerance I have. Oh well. 

I finally got round to finishing Sonic Mania Encore Mode yesterday for pc. 

Although I had finished the main game previously, the encore mode mechanic which is like playing the same game again I wasn't up for doing immediately afterwards. I do enjoy the mix of characters though and glad for it, it was a true revival of the good times of 2D sonic. It is quite long in comparison to regular sonic games (at least to me!) so it took a few sessions to finish. 

Retro City Rampage came in the mail. I got it on PS4. Was always interested in it. 2 days solid. I finished it. What a game. It kicks total £@#%!^$ ass. 

Super excited for Shakedown Hawaii now. Had to buy that one direct from the devs. Still waiting on that one.

• Like 1

Dead Tomb for the CollectorVision Phoenix.  Well, I would say that the first original game designed explicitly for Collectorvision's homebrew console could have used some refinement before release.  This game looks and sounds nice, but it was a struggle to play.  I dealt with confusion about the interface right from the start, and things didn't really get much better.  I wrote a few paragraphs about it in this thread:  https://atariage.com/forums/topic/306956-dead-tomb-reservations-phoenix-exclusive/?do=findComment&comment=4746812.  Overall, I'd probably give the game a 2/5.  If it had been less expensive then I would bump it to a 3/5.

Graphics 5/5 <- excellent these have the be the best on the Phoenix

Sound & Music 5/5 <- superb; Phoenix > NES?

Core Game Features 2/5 <- it never broke on me

Story and World 2/5 <- could have been so much more

Puzzles and Design 2/5 <- needed more of a challenge

• Like 1

2)  Ys IX : Monstrum Nox (PS4)

I love this franchise, and this one was very good… but I’d have to rank somewhere in the bottom half on the Ys games.  Too many sections that were kind of pointless – the developers must have known because they would pop up asking “would you like to proceed as if you’re beaten this part” – and an end boss that was just frustratingly stupid.  Or stupidly frustrating.  Not sure.  It wasn’t difficult at all, just made to be annoying by design, it seems.

Even though that all sounded negative, I really liked the game overall and already want more Ys.

3)  Letter Quest: Remastered (Switch)

This, to me, is the perfect handheld/switch game.  Can be played in short bursts anywhere, easy on the eyes on small screen -- I played (co-op) with my daughter, huddled up on the couch trying to come up with the best words to beat the baddies.  It was great.  I recommend it to pretty much anyone, and it’s frequently on sale for only a couple of bucks.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

4)  Super Mario 3D World  (Switch)

Played through this one with the family and really liked it when playing co-op with 1 or 2 others.  Single player, it felt a bit too empty.  2 player co-op was perfect.  3 players was a lot of fun but a bit too chaotic at times, which kind of took something away from the pacing a bit. When we played 4 players, it was practically an unplayable mess.  

I seem to be in the minority on one thing, though.   I actually prefer the gameplay speed on the Wii U.  They sped things up a bit here, and it does feel a bit off at times.

I haven’t played the expansion yet, other than a few mins to check it out.  I’ll probably play that by myself since the co-op player is kind of a throw away gig, and they didn’t enjoy those few mins at all.

• Like 1

5)  Secret of Mana (PS4) 

So, I don’t like this game.  Never have.  I won’t get into the stupid reasons I keep coming back to give it “one more shot” to see if it clicks (unless anyone wants to hear them) but I’ve tried it in the 90’s on SNES (hated it), several years later via emulation (hated it), when I got the SNES Classic (hated it), and recently gifted Collection of Mana (Switch) and the remake (PS4)

Ultimately, the remake on PS4 was the one I finally stuck with until the end, so I think I’m done with it.  After getting magic, the main character just seemed kind of pointless (unless those constant swing & miss combos are doing anything) and spamming magic seems to be a “god mode” method to reaching the end.

If swordplay wasn’t miss… miss… miss… miss… miss… miss… miss… miss, I think I might’ve enjoyed this game.  As it is, I’m convinced the developers couldn't finish it due to some behind the scenes drama, and released it broken, but its fans loved it that way, so they just rolled with it and left it as-is.  <---- completely unproven theory based on little more than butthurt annoyance with what I believe to be one of the worst games I've ever finished

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Resident Evil 7 yesterday. Probably the first game in years I have actually finished.

There are some annoying things, mainly the godawful yuppie protagonist, and his whole story angle. I mean, the stories (if we can call them that) in RE were always batshit crazy, but they fitted well with the cartoony S.T.A.R.S protagonists, what with their bizarre dialogue lines, actions and motivations. And the main guy here is an insufferable modern git, who says "fuck you" a lot, an somehow survives everything despite being mutilated, impaled, dissolved and whatever else. Well, F-you, Ethan, you won't be missed. And I chose the "bad" ending, so enjoy your depression-ridden life :D

But, aside from that, the game is pretty great - zillion times better than the entries 5 & 6. The switch to first person is most welcome, it is actually the 1st RE game I found genuinely scary in places. There are also some gorgeously ugly and moody locations, exploring which is the main reason I play these games in the first place. Japanese designers are unmatched when it comes to weird mansions and gothic castles, in here they prove they can do a Deep South abodes quite well too.

Looking forward to the new one in May, just hoping there won't be another yupster as a hero.

Edited by youxia
can't spell
  • Like 2