Jump to content
Gunstar

Selling like hot-cakes...er...hot potatoes maybe...

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I know this isn't really the right forum, but what is? Will one even ever exist for this? The new Atari VCS. That is, people seem to be attempting to sell them off while they are still hot, before they lose their value...I believe these are all the people who pre-ordered, I don't think "full manufacture and distribution" happens until March or something was the last I heard...if they survive long enough to even get to a full roll-out.

The wait is over, let my wait begin...I'll be keeping my eyes peeled and watching for those prices to plummet of the next year or two and get in on them at bargain-bin level before they have a price resurgence i years to come for collect-ablity....

This isn't even all the auctions, just a sampling...



https://www.ebay.com/itm/2020-Atari...-Joystick-Modern-Control-IN-HAND/233837561329

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2020-Atari-VCS-Collector-s-Edition-Includes-Classic-Joystick/124506116079

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-VCS-...w-Modern-Controller-and-Joystick/174580896857

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-2020-A...assic-Joystick-Modern-Controller/233842169608

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-Blac...on-w-Classic-Joystick-Controller/324425538259

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2020-Atari...-Joystick-Modern-Control-IN-HAND/264986345112

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2020-Atari-VCS-Collector-s-Edition-W-Joystick-IN-HAND/264988469938

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-VCS-...ition-W-Classic-Joystick-In-Hand/164616831407

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-2020-A...ion-Bundle-4-Controllers-IN-HAND/293935787738

Edited by Gunstar
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Gunstar said:

but what is?

Atari General? Computers, Science and Technology? There are a few which would be less far off the mark that the Atari 8-bit computers forum.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps useful as a case for the next xel/éclair?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

Atari General? Computers, Science and Technology? There are a few which would be less far off the mark that the Atari 8-bit computers forum.

 

Agreed. But this is the only forum I hang out at anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gunstar said:

 

I know this isn't really the right forum, but what is? Will one even ever exist for this?

 

Well, the infamous Taco Thread is now closed for replies. You can post in the new Atari VCS subforum instead.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Well, as I stated, I really only visit this forum, direct link and all, and this is where I "know" people. I didn't know there was a specific thread for the new VCS. But whomever hangs out there wasn't my target audience, people here were. The thread isn't enough of a concern to me to have it moved (admin can if they want) or to restart it. It was just a bit of trivial news about a company and product that bares the name we all remember fondly, and I thought maybe even 8-bitters, who I converse with, might have some interest too. But whatever...what done is done, and I accomplished what I intended; to let people here know, if they care. Anyone following the actual new VCS forum would probably already be well aware of what's going on concerning the new console. I'm sorry (not really) if some people here can't handle a bit of information that isn't specifically for this forum bubble. Hopefully I didn't burst anyone's for them.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Gunstar said:

Well, as I stated, I really only visit this forum, direct link and all, and this is where I "know" people. I didn't know there was a specific thread for the new VCS. But whomever hangs out there wasn't my target audience, people here were. The thread isn't enough of a concern to me to have it moved (admin can if they want) or to restart it. It was just a bit of trivial news about a company and product that bares the name we all remember fondly, and I thought maybe even 8-bitters, who I converse with, might have some interest too. But whatever...what done is done, and I accomplished what I intended; to let people here know, if they care. Anyone following the actual new VCS forum would probably already be well aware of what's going on concerning the new console. I'm sorry (not really) if some people here can't handle a bit of information that isn't specifically for this forum bubble. Hopefully I didn't burst anyone's for them.

The Often Offended....They are NOT built on strong Okie stock, are they Matt?

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is that really necessary in a thread which began by asking if there was an 'appropriate forum' for VCS-related material, or if one would ever exist, and which elicited two polite suggestions, one of which included directions to a sub-forum explicitly specialising the very subject under discussion? And now the suggestions offered are churlishly rejected because - apparently - the intention was to post the material in the wrong forum regardless (which at least seems more plausible)?

 

And the observers are somehow supposed to be easily offended? :)

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The question(s) were rhetorical, and your intention was not to "offer" suggestions, but to reprimanded me in your passive-aggressive ways. Just like your latest post above. Back to the ignore list...

Edited by Gunstar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, gilsaluki said:

The Often Offended....They are NOT built on strong Okie stock, are they Matt?

Possibly, but I'm not "Okie" stock. I was born in Texas, though most of my youth I grew up in the Chicago suburbs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/3/2021 at 4:51 PM, Gunstar said:

The wait is over, let my wait begin...I'll be keeping my eyes peeled and watching for those prices to plummet of the next year or two and get in on them at bargain-bin level before they have a price resurgence i years to come for collect-ablity....

I'm with you on that one.  You've hit your target 8-bit owning audience buddy!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The VCS800 serves my Atari 8 bit machines, it provides Respeqt, APE, tnfs (for fujinet) etc etc , I am looking to share it's classic joystick with twister over bt for 8 bit use as well. (bt)

so the topic seems just fine in the 8 bit forum as my use is generally targeting the 8 bit for the most part anyway. Finally an all Atari set up, network and all. Looks nice, works well. Why the animosity?

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it will make a great streaming and emulation device in such a small and good looking package. The sandbox mode is my main interest in the machine, if the Atari side is good and successful, fine, I'll take advantage. But I'm still waiting until I can get one for $100-200 depending on it's fate. Of course it's future resale value, even if it's a failure, directly depends on it's rarity. How many they will make? How well will what's made sell this year? I remember paying $149 for a Jaguar CD unit right after they were finally released in September of '95, and by the next spring they were in the bargain bins for $49, IIRC*...but I have one, and IIRC, only something like 10-20,000 were made and now look what they are worth! I was just at a mom & pop game store in Tulsa last week, and saw a base unit Jaguar for it's original retail price of $250, in shrin-kwrap without a box, used. They had boxed Lynx 1 & 2's selling for the same price. Of course for me, I use them and it's not about collect-ability and profit, which is why I still have most of my vintage systems. But I won't pay that much myself.

 

*edit: I didn't remember correctly, I bought it in January of '96 with my college book money for second semester, for $149 (as I had done with the Jaguar the year before for $249) (I just would study with girls who had the books.😀) but by that summer they were selling for $49. I actually saw them in an Electronics Boutique for that price after I had made the recent move from Wisconsin to Huntington Beach, SoCal that summer after college.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On youtube some folks are concerned this isnt the real atari. That never bothered me.

 

The Atari brand ping pongs around, you see what I did there.

 

So of course I want to pick up the latest Atari.  and coincidentally it should run altirra and respeqt pretty good.  joysticks look snazzy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...