IGNORED

SD Card

Blues76

Hi,

I search and I could not find the right topic for my question but if there is any, please let me know.

There are so many Atari 8-bit addons that uses SD cards. UNO, Ultimate Cart, FujiNet, etc... Is there a model and brand that will work for any of them or each of them may have some specific needs.

Also, if you have a CF/SD device to connect to a PC that you like, please share it with me. It will be great to know. I have some SD devices but no CF one.

Thanks,

My sdrive_micro works with pretty much any old crappy card.

AVG cart works well with everything I have used but it's got a SanDisk at the moment.

Sdrive max wouldn't work at all with the Kingston microSD I tried but is ok with a 16gb Samsung card

I've recently bought a concerto cart for my 7800 and it's most stable with SanDisk cards.

So I would say go for a SanDisk if you are looking for a new card 

Edited by mimo
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Blues76 said:

How about size? Any prefer size?

I see one of you is using 16GB. That seems to be more than ideal. There are good prices for 32GB.

As cheap as they are, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to get anything smaller than 32GB, assuming whatever device you're using it on is compatible with them. As far as larger, larger doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me either. 32GB would store several copies of every piece of software ever published for the Atari 8-bits and still have quite a bit of room left over. You'd just wind up with a lot of unused space with anything larger.

That's my opinion anyway. It's really up to personal taste.

Edited by bfollowell
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

As cheap as they are, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to get anything smaller than 32GB, assuming whatever device you're using it on is compatible with them. As far as larger, larger doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me either. 32GB would store several copies of every piece of software ever published for the Atari 8-bits and still have quite a bit of room left over. You'd just wind up with a lot of unused space with anything larger.

That's my opinion anyway. It's really up to personal taste.

Yes, I found some good prices in 32 and 64. I will probably go for 32 but I sow 64 almost at the same price, at least for the micro with the adapters.

8 hours ago, Blues76 said:

Also, if you have a CF/SD device to connect to a PC that you like, please share it with me.

USB to SD card adapters are common, many(most?) USB multi-card readers also have a CF card slot(I have a few of them), dedicated USB to CF card adapters are more rare but available.

I also have some IDE to CF card adapters. I use a 44-pin(2.5" HDD interface) dual CF version with an IDE + 2.0 device, the CF cards are recognized as Master/Slave IDE devices.

I have used a USB multi-card reader to transfer DATA to/from a CF card used with a SIDE cartridge, and also for a CF card boot device in a Linux environment.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mclaneinc said:

Just a quick, be wary, if the card price is a bit low then be aware of the ebay fakes on there, awful cheap cards with faked sizes that look right but when you try writing to them it gets corrupted..

Yes, never buy SD cards from ebay, ever, period. You're just wasting your money. Always go to someone reputable like Amazon or Newegg, and make certain that it say buyings from/shipping from Amazon or Newegg or whatever, and isn't someone else selling items on their platform.

Also, I always check out any cards I buy with H2testw as soon as I open the packaging, before attempting to use them, even when buying from a reputable dealer.

Edited by bfollowell

No SDrive, SDrive2 or SDrive-Max here, but...

- Ultimate cart. works well with Sandisk (tested with 2GB and 16GB cards)

- AVG cart. works well with Sandisk (tested with 16GB, 32GB and 64GB cards)

- SIO2SD (Lotharek) works well with Sandisk (tested with 2GB and 16GB cards)

- SIO2SD/PC-micro (Santosp) works well with Sandisk (tested with 2GB and 16Gb cards)

My 2GB cards are standard Sandisk cards (red+blue), 16GB and higher are Sandisk ultra cards; have not used any Sandisk Extreme or Extreme Pro cards as of yet; since 64GB (and higher/larger) cards often use exFAT, you have to format them with an external FAT32 tool to use them with any of the flashcarts or SIO2xyz devices.

Small cards are difficult to get a reasonable price (SD not HC < 2GB), except if you have a gamestop around.

I prefer to use those with my Atari. However, modern Atari gadgets work great with newer SD-HC (<32GB). So it shouldn't be a problem. So you can probably get good deals for 2-pack 16gb or 32gb.

A good source of small (used) SD cards is Gamestop, you can get them for 1 or 2 bucks, if you are lucky to live close to one store that have them in stock.