IGNORED

Congo Bongo?

AAA177

Kick arse! Looks amazing and I too see the potential and look forward to the evolution.

Lemming? I don't know about that. Yes it's on nearly every post Atari console (I've got it for about everything including nes, master system and gameboy) but those all have ten sprites (where later 16+ bit systems have 80-120 sprites) still, if you dumbed the sprites to one pixel objects, you could have 4 er... "Lemmings" per console sprite. That would give up to 24 sprites on a scanline with no flicker (2 sprites making four lemmings each, then multiplexing to get 12 per sprite, leaving missiles and balls for cursor data and alternate lemming sprite data (blockers, bombers, etc)) background could take mods to change the environment to build ramps and holes. It would probably need a TON of ram to pull off, don't know if 2k (typical ram expansion) would be enough.

• Like 1

Looks great, seems to be the best way to do isometric 2D well on the 2600, produce diagonal color changes. Basically the gross Q*bert way from bitd but more advanced in implementations. Other than getting it to flicker fast enough I'm impressed by the color mixing, finding the right balance between two colors to make that third faux dither color actually good. ;)

• Like 1

PAL version?  Sure.  I took a guess at the colors being I have no access to a PAL TV.

Might as well provide an update.  I've added jumping.  It works relatively well, but ultimately gives the player a bit too much freedom to move thru the level.

Currently only Stage 1 is enabled.  I have most of the data necessary for the other stages, but need to handle sprite clipping (ducking into pits) and making the water a hazard.

Enjoy.

NTSC Version:

congo_poc_NTSC_20210220.e7

PAL60 Version

congo_poc_PAL60_20210220.e7

• Like 6

8 hours ago, splendidnut said:

PAL version?  Sure.  I took a guess at the colors being I have no access to a PAL TV.

Might as well provide an update.  I've added jumping.  It works relatively well, but ultimately gives the player a bit too much freedom to move thru the level.

Currently only Stage 1 is enabled.  I have most of the data necessary for the other stages, but need to handle sprite clipping (ducking into pits) and making the water a hazard.

Enjoy.

NTSC Version:

congo_poc_NTSC_20210220.e7 16 kB · 12 downloads

PAL60 Version

congo_poc_PAL60_20210220.e7 16 kB · 5 downloads

MANY thanks for a PAL60 version and the update! Must I change the extension „.e7“ or does it work with my Harmony cartridge as is?

24 minutes ago, Bomberman94 said:

MANY thanks for a PAL60 version and the update! Must I change the extension „.e7“ or does it work with my Harmony cartridge as is?

Should work as is.  I used the ".e7" extension specifically for Harmony use.  It is used to avoid issues with the cart-type auto detection failing to detect the bank-switching this uses.

Enjoy!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry, no actual updates on this.  I've been playing around with different bank-switching schemes, but that's about it.  I've also thought about the PAL color issue.  I think the green background is pulling the orange cliff more towards being a yellow color.  So, I'll probably play around with switching the colors to just browns and blues for PAL.

I will admit that I did get distracted going down another rabbit hole:

But that might actually help pull this project along, since they'll both need the same or very similar game logic.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, splendidnut said:

Sorry, no actual updates on this.  I've been playing around with different bank-switching schemes, but that's about it.  I've also thought about the PAL color issue.  I think the green background is pulling the orange cliff more towards being a yellow color.  So, I'll probably play around with switching the colors to just browns and blues for PAL.

I will admit that I did get distracted going down another rabbit hole:

But that might actually help pull this project along, since they'll both need the same or very similar game logic.

Maybe (if you already made them) you can upload different color versions of it and I can try on a real PAL CRT? I then can post them here if you like?! ?

I don't have a working build at the moment.  Lol.

You can try playing around with the colors using the version from this post:

Colors will look weird on PAL60 since it's using the NTSC-based color selections.  But it should work.

I played around with it real quick in Stella.  If you set the colors to 35, E7, DC, 4C, that should provide a decent starting point.

• Like 1

Currently, your best bet for trying this out is to use Stella.

Between the two online emulators that I know of, only @DirtyHairy's Stellerator worked, but only after renaming the file.  The other online emulator, Javatari, does not like this, which is not surprising because this uses the rarely used E7 bank-switching scheme.

If you're talking about virtualatari.org, it looks like they use Javatari and they only accept completed games.  This is no where near being completed... it's just getting started.  :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, splendidnut said:

Currently, your best bet for trying this out is to use Stella.

Between the two online emulators that I know of, only @DirtyHairy's Stellerator worked, but only after renaming the file.  The other online emulator, Javatari, does not like this, which is not surprising because this uses the rarely used E7 bank-switching scheme.

If you're talking about virtualatari.org, it looks like they use Javatari and they only accept completed games.  This is no where near being completed... it's just getting started.  :)

Don't forget @JetSetIlly's Gopher2600, which is doing an amazing job of emulation at this early stage of its development.

Nevermind; I missed the implicit "online" part from your response... sorry.

Edited by Andrew Davie
  • Like 2

On 3/15/2021 at 11:05 PM, splendidnut said:

Alright, I used a hex editor to quickly hack the previous PAL release with new colors (35,E7,DC,4C).  Try this and let me know what you think.

congo_poc_PAL60_20210315_hacked.e7 16 kB · 15 downloads

Colors appear to be a bit lighter now - (left) sides of rocks seems to be more „natural“. Maybe you can make colors selectable by the switches (if it is not too much work for you? ?). 
Here‘s a actual screenshot:

591EAB77-56B6-4B25-85C2-B214F62DE522.jpeg

Huh, it doesn't look like the colors changed at all.  I was expecting something more like:

image.thumb.png.048687d52aabcad3d2128ebca0d8b18e.png

If you grab the congo_poc-(20210119).bin  from an earlier post (Post #11 - January 19th), you can play around with the colors using the joystick.

Post #11 (january 19th):

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/315431-congo-bongo/?do=findComment&comment=4729944

57 minutes ago, splendidnut said:

Huh, it doesn't look like the colors changed at all.  I was expecting something more like:

image.thumb.png.048687d52aabcad3d2128ebca0d8b18e.png

If you grab the congo_poc-(20210119).bin  from an earlier post (Post #11 - January 19th), you can play around with the colors using the joystick.

Post #11 (january 19th):

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/315431-congo-bongo/?do=findComment&comment=4729944

Ah yes, renaming this in *.e7 worked for me. Here’re some possible screens for the first level:

5571A408-B799-4881-9172-E90DA584FB12.jpeg

8B7D0036-A06E-4714-B2BA-9125DE36A8D9.jpeg

E7014963-6DB1-4072-9F86-E7388997F0C8.jpeg

• Like 1