Jump to content
AAA177

Congo Bongo?

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, splendidnut said:

Yes, those do look better.  What colors did you use?

Dark green(ish) colors for mountain and blue for water. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here for your reference same colors but not „interlaced“ (maybe colors could be distinguished better):

 

 

3ED09B1C-0A3B-4914-A4F0-FA25FD8BFF68.jpeg

77039F5B-4856-4C14-A6F4-B3EFB6DD6E53.jpeg

EE7038E7-52E0-4579-9A07-FB65705CF1E2.jpeg

B5F3494E-84C9-4FB4-9CEA-18F35491AA8C.jpeg

8D84879E-86A9-4E21-8C25-C6B128D95655.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, splendidnut said:

I need to know what the 4 color values are :)

Apart from what I can see on top - how can I figure out this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The numbers at the top show the currently selected color (left 2 digits) and its value (right 2 digits).  But it only shows one at a time.   There are 4, two background and two foreground colors.  The fire button rotates thru them.

 

From your screenshots, I can see that you set color 1 to 92.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, splendidnut said:

The numbers at the top show the currently selected color (left 2 digits) and its value (right 2 digits).  But it only shows one at a time.   There are 4, two background and two foreground colors.  The fire button rotates thru them.

Here we go:

 

00 00 20

01 00 92

02 00 78

03 00 58

 

... sorry didn’t know that. As it seems that I can change every value separately, I will play the next days with the values and see if I find better ones 😉

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK best i found are these values:

 

00 00 42

01 00 91

02 00 07

03 00 26
 

Important for me was: water should be blue and mountain and pathes should have a nice and fitting brown tone. Here are some screenshots - I „real“ they look a bit different. What do you think?

521B122D-2F82-4F3D-84CA-78171E3839CE.jpeg

DB7C0536-8C3E-4B07-A626-269C6243EB67.jpeg

A7564CBF-5901-4D90-A255-08A754484E03.jpeg

9111F579-A583-4F1C-BDD8-2EDC5456DFAD.jpeg

CFA580B6-E10E-4192-95D9-278AC8DC36B7.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

that's what it looks like on my PAL TV (in real the colors are darker than it seems on the picture) :

 

grafik.thumb.png.c636d9d905224cf16435fd1a65683f34.png

 

The picture is the same no matter if the right difficulty switch is set to A or B

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, the version that let's the player move around doesn't include the "alternating color interleave" kernel.  I wanted to save space/complexity until I got all the sprite stuff figured out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, splendidnut said:

Yeah, the version that let's the player move around doesn't include the "alternating color interleave" kernel.  I wanted to save space/complexity until I got all the sprite stuff figured out.

... but at the end you will include the „alternating color“ magic? I think the graphics looks far better this way 🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm currently in the processing of getting things working again after playing around with different bank-switching schemes.   E7 -> 3EP -> DPC+

 

I went down the path of creating a sprite blitter to draw the sprites into RAM buffers for display.  BUT, I was having trouble finding a bank-switching scheme to easily support doing that.  I found that the RAM layout in the E7 bank-switching scheme was too limited for what I wanted to do.  I played around with 3EP to the point where I had everything switched over and working, but discovered that the standard Harmony doesn't have any support for it.  So I after some consideration, I started switching things over to DPC+.

 

That was a while back... I walked away for a bit, leaving it in a bad state.  Just this past weekend, I got things kinda working in again.  Currently, the level display is working, but the player isn't;  he's upside down (easy fix)... and he can't seem to find the ground anymore.  (which are all things caused by switching between banking schemes)

 

At this point, I'll probably throw out the sprite blitter, since it will no longer needed with DPC+.  I can just store the sprites in the Display Data RAM/ROM area and use the Data Fetchers.  Also, adding back in the "alternating color" magic should be relatively easy now.  We shall see...

 

That's the gist of where this is at.  Currently... a slow simmer. :)

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Somewhere there's a prototype of Marble Madness using a technique similar to this.

 

Oh, that was easy to find:

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...