IGNORED

rubyQ! (no more on store)

Silvio Mogno

6 hours ago, BrianC said:

Looks awesome! It looks like the rainbow block lock (for lack of better words) from FHMC Q*Bert is in this version, but with Coily having to be led to the blocks instead of Q*Bertha? 

In FHMC Q*bert Coily has to clear the locked rainbow blocks. As I know Q*Bertha is a sort of Sam/Slick with the ability to chase Q*Bert.

Played this and I must say i am amazed! It is fast, has more variations and regarding the graphics a quantum step ahead of the original (Parker Bros) version.

Just my two cents:

- game is much faster now (which is very good - please keep the speed of the game)

- colour of Q*bert is sometimes hard to see against the background (maybe Q*bert could be lighter?)

- it is hard to know if a disk disappears or not before it moves - maybe it could change colour before moving (e.g. becomes grey?)

- disks could be bigger and/or (might be not possible because of colour restrictions) more colorful 

- coily is too fast (at least at the beginning of the game)

- when Ugg appeares at one side and Q*bert suddenly stands there there is no chance to escape

- in some cases i tried to escape from coily in order to jump onto a disk (on the right side) coily don’t jump off the pyramid but simply follows and killed me

Already this (first?) version is fantastic - after playing this i played the Parker version and it was like playing in slow motion and with a crumbled pyramid. Thanks for this great experience of much better Q*bert!

Edited by Bomberman94
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just saw the ZPH video last night and that is a tremendous improvement, you had two people thoroughly engaged in a game they're not a big fan of.? Even from watching you can see just how much faster and tighter the controls are, I'd forgot how oddly stiff the enemy movement was in the PB one.

You'd make a lot of people happy if you whitened those eyes but I know what a hair pulling task it is to do that. I've been speculating on a bunch of setups but the only foolproof way to stop color overlaps or conflicts on a 2600 is greyscale heh.?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, BladeJunker said:

Just saw the ZPH video last night and that is a tremendous improvement, you had two people thoroughly engaged in a game they're not a big fan of.? Even from watching you can see just how much faster and tighter the controls are, I'd forgot how oddly stiff the enemy movement was in the PB one.

You'd make a lot of people happy if you whitened those eyes but I know what a hair pulling task it is to do that. I've been speculating on a bunch of setups but the only foolproof way to stop color overlaps or conflicts on a 2600 is greyscale heh.?

To make white eyes I should add one more object (the white part of the eyes), that is more flickering. 

This could be another step to the flickerfest goal we all want to avoid ?

Seriously, let me finish the game. Then if all expectations will be met and some free space will be left I'll think about it 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Wow, this looks and plays really great! So smooth. The bouncing balls actually bounce! I would definitely buy a cart of the finished game.

Only two items of feedback if you want it:

• Some of the cube color combinations made it hard to see what I had completed. 
  • When the ice guy iced my platforms and there was no Coily around it felt weird to just stand there and wait for him.

Great game! :D

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, xybot67 said:

Bump, any updates on this incredible port?

I'm working on some new gameplay features.

Gameplay is about 70% done. Then I'll have to add menu and after I'll release a demo bin file.

I think it should take some months because it's a weekend spare time work.

• Like 6

Grazie Silvio, hai fatto un ottimo lavoro restituendo le corrette animazioni ai personaggi. Il gioco uscito nel 1983 non mi aveva soddisfatto. La tua versione è eccellente. Il game play è diventato solido ed appassionante. Per renderlo perfetto sarebbe da ridisegnare la piramide dei cubi... credi sia possibile da realizzare sul 2600?
Edited by Dari1t
First message, i wrong into the scrip. Now i understand the system, sorry please...
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Silvio, you did a great job returning the correct animations to the characters.
The game released in 1983 didn't satisfy me. Your version is excellent.
Game play has become solid and exciting. To make it perfect, the pyramid of cubes
would have to be redesigned
inserting the missing row. Do you think it could be done
on the 2600? Grazie Silvio, hai fatto un ottimo lavoro restituendo le corrette animazioni ai personaggi.
Il gioco uscito nel 1983 non mi aveva soddisfatto. La tua versione è eccellente.
Il game play è diventato solido ed appassionante. Per renderlo perfetto sarebbe
da ridisegnare la piramide dei cubi, inserendo la fila mancante. Credi sia possibile
da realizzare sul 2600?

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Dari1t said:

Thanks Silvio, you did a great job returning the correct animations to the characters.
The game released in 1983 didn't satisfy me. Your version is excellent.
Game play has become solid and exciting. To make it perfect, the pyramid of cubes
would have to be redesigned
inserting the missing row. Do you think it could be done
on the 2600? Grazie Silvio, hai fatto un ottimo lavoro restituendo le corrette animazioni ai personaggi.
Il gioco uscito nel 1983 non mi aveva soddisfatto. La tua versione è eccellente.
Il game play è diventato solido ed appassionante. Per renderlo perfetto sarebbe
da ridisegnare la piramide dei cubi, inserendo la fila mancante. Credi sia possibile
da realizzare sul 2600?

Hi,

Thanks for your appreciation!

I'm sorry but the missing row is not possible for some technical reasons: first of all is cycle counting. Although using the best DPC coprocessor driver (CDFJ) actual last row is drawn using a single assembly line for each cube top line. So, no machines cycles left? Second one, the HMOVE "comb" effect: left side of screen is black due to multiple HMOVE call, so no left space to draw?

But I think that although without a row the game is fun. And I'm adding some new features to make the game more complex, difficult and fresh. ASAP I'll release a new demo showing the improvements.

Finally I would say that 1983 version is far to be perfect but is a little technical marvel: it reproduces a real Q*bert feeling with a little 4k program and in my opinion is one of the funniest 2600 games ever!

P.S.: if you have any doubts about my explanation send me a private message I'll answer!

Edited by Silvio Mogno
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 1/4/2021 at 12:23 PM, Silvio Mogno said:

Hi,

I'm making an improved CDFJ version of Q*Bert for the VCS.

Here's a small video.

ASAP I'll release a demo version.

Hope you'll like it!

Edit: I added the demo binary as shown on ZPH stream yesterday. It's limited to first two levels, then it loops back to level 1. Much work has to be done. I hope you'll enjoy!

Stella_2021-01-04_19-43-50-67.avi 218.71 MB · 331 downloads

Qbert_Demo_06_Jan_2021.bin 32 kB · 262 downloads

QBert is one of my all-time favorite arcade games. I enjoy the original 2600 version, but I know what you mean about it looking not quite right. Thanks for working on this version!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/29/2021 at 6:41 AM, Silvio Mogno said:

I'm working on some new gameplay features.

Gameplay is about 70% done. Then I'll have to add menu and after I'll release a demo bin file.

I think it should take some months because it's a weekend spare time work.

any updates??

• Like 4

On 6/27/2021 at 2:14 AM, Arenafoot said:

any updates??

I'm doing final debug.

I think I'll release a beta version in August.

Thanks for your interest!

Edit: some snapshots taken from Stella (no special features revealed yet!?)

collect3_1.png

collect3_2.png

collect3_3.png

collect3_4.png

collect3_5.png

collect3_6.png

collect3_7.png

Edited by Silvio Mogno
added images
  • Like 13

6 hours ago, knievel1 said:

Incredible & much appreciated. 

I'm hooked! 

Looking forward to the update -- 

I agree with the above - the colors are hard to see on some levels.

And when reversed they blink for a very long time occasionally? 

Love love love this remake.

Thank you for your appreciation!

About the level color scheme: I reworked it and tested until level > 10 that is near impossible to reach (I think). In my opinion is better than the former.

About blinking: as in many VCS games I tried to reduce at minimum flickering, generally it works nice because objects are vertically spaced. And I added an option to completely remove flickering on cube sides, so if you prefer you can have lower "resolution" with no flicker.

Silvio Mogno

• Like 2

About blinking: as in many VCS games I tried to reduce at minimum flickering, generally it works nice because objects are vertically spaced. And I added an option to completely remove flickering on cube sides, so if you prefer you can have lower "resolution" with no flicker.

That blinking: fantastic job. I didn't say it right. 

When Sam turns your blocks back it seems pretty random as to when you can jump on them again.

Am I forgetting a rule from the original? 

Sometimes I have to evade Coily a very long time before I can change them back from Sam's sabotage. 

Again, awesome job!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, knievel1 said:

That blinking: fantastic job. I didn't say it right. 

When Sam turns your blocks back it seems pretty random as to when you can jump on them again.

Am I forgetting a rule from the original? 

Sometimes I have to evade Coily a very long time before I can change them back from Sam's sabotage. 

Again, awesome job!

Hi,

In the released demo Sam changes blocks in a locked mode so only if Coily jumps on them they come back to initial color and can be yet modified by Q*Bert. This is a feature from Faster Harder More Challenging Q*Bert.

BTW I added an option to select game mode: original (the original Q*Bert), funky (plays like the demo ROM released) and crazy (very challenging with some new features that will be revealed in next demo rom relase).

Thanks for your appreciation!

Silvio Mogno

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...