IGNORED

Centipede for the Atari Lynx

Songbird

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice progress on the score. What level have you reached so far?

Since June 2020, all new Songbird releases contain a EEPROM for saving up to 128 bytes of data on the cartridge. This can be used by new games for a variety of purposes, including high scores, unlocked levels, acquired gear, and so on. SIMIS, Alpine Games, T-tris, and MegaPak are older games which also use a EEPROM for saving data.

Post those high scores and levels here! I'm curious how people are handling the difficulty ramp, especially the "red" waves. :)

Got my copy of Centipede and I'm very pleased with the game and packaging.  It's been kicking my bum, but it plays good enough to make me want to keep trying.

Also, really enjoyed Cyber Virus Lost Missions.  I played through all the levels in the first sitting.  Found it much easier than the normal release, which I've still not successfully completed (even with cheat codes!).

Random note: it would be nice to have another Songbird compilation on the Evercade once a few more releases are out.  My poor Evercade has had little play time of anything but Lynx games since they were released (I love the Lynx on Evercade).

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Songbird said:

Awesome to hear you are enjoying Centipede!

Absolutely.  I just barely missed 2nd place on the high score list after posting that.  The spider is really nasty.  He's what takes me out nearly every time.  It's not so easy to just let him pass and keep doing my thing in this version.  I'll have to get better at dealing with him.

46 minutes ago, Songbird said:

Also glad I could share Cybervirus Lost Missions; it's a neat game and shows just how full-featured the code was when I received it.

Yes, I really like the control scheme in this one.  It's nice to access the map with the B button instead of Option1. I also like the ability to run.  I don't remember being able to do that in the full game, and I sometimes get chased down by angry cybers on my way to extraction.  The only control I miss here is the strafe.  If there's a way to strafe, I haven't found it.

You can run in the original (classic?) CyberVirus game too. In fact, I highly recommend it on at least one mission when 10+ robots start chasing you down right away. Strafe was a new feature I added to CyberVirus.

Back on topic: yeah, the spider can be deadly and so can the centipedes when they get faster! The spider intentionally appears infrequently on the first few levels, but then becomes more frequent as the game progresses; that's another tweak I added to the game. I'm a sucker for classic arcade games as it is, but I really had fun fine-tuning this game and still enjoy playing it now. :) Thanks to @LordKraken who suggested I add the level indicator and save, so you can compete both for score and for level!

How do you like the music? Again, I wanted to give it that full-featured arcade feel, so I added three songs: title song, GAME OVER song (very short), and high score song. This was using a custom music player I wrote to keep it lean and easy to squeeze in RAM with the existing game. I'm using the same music engine but with improvements in Microvaders.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

My Lynx has been neglected lately, so I got this one out. I finally got over 20k points!

I feel like the autofire sometimes malfunctions, leaving me defenseless. I've taken to tapping the button instead of holding it down and have had much better results.

The spider seems to somewhat teleport from place to place. Frequently my deaths have been from a spider suddenly appearing on top of me when it had previously been ten pixels or more away. I've started giving them a much wider berth, especially horizontally.

The spiders also don't seem to do very much damage at all to the mushrooms. I seem to spend most of the early part of the game just clearing out mushrooms as a result. (I'm not an expert on the original arcade game so maybe my expectations are off.)

I haven't seen any scorpions, but in the later levels the centipede segments act like they touched poisoned mushrooms, so I don't miss them too much.

I love the music. It's probably for the best that it doesn't play during the game, since the sound palette is really iconic and well-represented here, but sometimes I wish it did.

I'm currently at #2 on the cart's leaderboard and am going to get over the top this week.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Just out of curiosity, and feel free to smack this down as impossible, but would it be difficult to add the appropriate sprites to make Millipede out of Centipede? 

I realize the behavior of the DDT canisters are a different ball of wax, and have no idea how much free space (if any!) you had left on the card after completing the basic Centipede code 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...