Rev

The Amico isn’t coming out in April? Delayed?

38 minutes ago, TandyVision said:

The console itself looked cheap in the video. Obviously looks can be deceiving but I really hope it's robust like the original unit was and not cheap plastic. 

Funny, I was thinking the same... but then I considered the weight of modern electronics... unless you add it some heavy ABS plastics, or weights into the unit, it just won't have the same weighted feel as the original.  When was the last time you picked up an Atari Heavy Sixer?  Now that's freakin' heavy for a console.   Heck, the internal transformer for the Inty 2069 must have weighed almost a pound itself...if not more.  You won't see that today.

If anything, it's as big as it is because of the controllers.   Another way would have been something like the Wii... external charging on a BT dock.

But I'm not worried about the date of release anymore... when it's done, it's done.   I'm just happy it's coming to fruition and not some crappy go-fund me and we get screwed.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Shawn said:

I watched the video Tommy posted. That 60 second cold boot was alarming. I hope that is not the way it's released on the retail version. Saying most people will keep it in standby mode to avoid the (lengthy) boot sequence shows he knows it's a problem. I don't know of many people who leave electronics of any sort on 24\7 in low power mode just to avoid start up times like this. Astroblast game looked good. The controller is still a glaring turn off, I really hope a "conventional" controller is possible and promoted for the Amico. Having such a controller, obviously sold separately, can only do good things for the console at launch and through whatever lifecycle it has at retail.

It's actually closer to 30 seconds which is very typical for an Android/Linux based system such as ours.

In the video you will hear me say that we have a bunch of placeholder animations right now that will be changing.

The system COULD go straight to the UI right before you see the animated Amico logo.  But for that particular version of the UI that we were showing (as I mentioned in the video) we are going to have animations that animate together the UI.  What was presented was placeholder. 

Hope that helps to clear up the confusion.  Thanks.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, TandyVision said:

The console itself looked cheap in the video. Obviously looks can be deceiving but I really hope it's robust like the original unit was and not cheap plastic. 

Don't worry.

As mentioned in the video, those were only dev kits and not representative of what the final product looks like.  They look a LOT better than that.

Will be doing some reveals of the finals over the next few months.

Thanks.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Battlefish said:

I do think the boot sequence needs fixing, if it hasn't already been. Maybe they oughta get rid of some things, like that transition from the Amico logo to the homescreen.

Yep.  I had mentioned in the video that the version we were showing was an older version.  We will be doing more of a UI deep dive later down the road.  That was an older version that what we have.  It was from last month.

Yes, those transitions were placeholder.

• Like 4

On 1/4/2021 at 10:49 PM, Rev said:

Seen this video. Not waiting around for it to go live. 

Amico is delayed? 

An update on this video. 

The YouTuber was tricked into taking a clip out of context.  The clip that was used in the beginning was me talking about the California lockdowns being indefinite.  But it was presented as if I said the delay of the console was indefinite.  That isn't the case.

Once realizing he was duped, he changed the title of the video.

:)

Here's the latest update:

We are still trying our hardest to finalize everything by early February to get it into manufacturing before the Chinese New Year (mid February). We are NOT willing to sacrifice quality just to rush something out to hit a target date. As you may remember in my August 5th video I mentioned that if everything goes great and things with COVID get better... we should be able to hit April. Unfortunately, as everyone is aware... they have gotten much worse. :( We are still trying though... but in the meantime, we have started talking to our retail, manufacturing, compliance, logistics and distribution partners to see when an alternative launch date would be. We are currently looking at mid summer. We will know for sure by the end of January and will put out information (probably a short video) by the very beginning of February. I have no problem saying that is probably unlikely that we make April... but we're still trying like crazy. Thanks again for your fairness and understanding.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 6

13 hours ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

"We are NOT willing to sacrifice quality just to rush something out to hit a target date." 

Honestly... this outweighs all the other points you mentioned.  It's great that you offer reasons, and thoughts as to why something would be delayed... but it comes right back to this statement.  I like that... that's how you know it's done right.

Like Mom's gravy on Sundays... started cooking at 12:00... you ate at 4:30... the longer it cooked, the better it tasted.  You touched the pot... hand got whacked with a wooden spoon.  LOL!

Take your time... no one likes a watery gravy.

Edited by IMBerzerk
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, IMBerzerk said:

Like Mom's gravy on Sundays... started cooking at 12:00... you ate at 4:30... the longer it cooked, the better it tasted.  You touched the pot... hand got whacked with a wooden spoon.  LOL!

Take your time... no one likes a watery gravy.

Back in the late '80s i was in the kitchen with my grandma as she was making her gravy.  She looks around to see if anyone else was nearby and then she says, "now I need to put my secret ingredient into the gravy, so don't tell anyone" and then she grabs the instant coffee and dumps a tablespoon, or two, into the gravy.

I was like, "huh, yeah, OK grandma"

Everybody like grandma's gravy

:brew:

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, fdr4prez said:

Back in the late '80s i was in the kitchen with my grandma as she was making her gravy.  She looks around to see if anyone else was nearby and then she says, "now I need to put my secret ingredient into the gravy, so don't tell anyone" and then she grabs the instant coffee and dumps a tablespoon, or two, into the gravy.

Instant coffee?!?  Wow.. that's a first.

Mine is Creole seasoning... Chili powder in the olive oil as well.

• Like 1

Anyone know of an updated Beauty and the Beast has been mentioned recently?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fdr4prez said:

My secret ingredient is cocaine. Everybody loves it.

• Haha 4

If someone says there is a 20% chance (His words) of it hitting an April release, then its likely to be delayed.   I wouldn't be surprised if the new plan was to try and shoot for the 10/10 date again, for obvious reasons.

Also, hope what appears to be some serious controller latency get improved on before release date.  Lag can really spoil the fun.

Definitely will be looking forward to trying this sometime.  Wish the team best of luck for 2021.

Edited by SegaSnatcher
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

Yes, Tommy said a retro re-imagined version will be on Amico.

Yeah, I know that,  but has there been an update to that, like details, video, or screenshot?

13 minutes ago, Rev said:

Yeah, I know that,  but has there been an update to that, like details, video, or screenshot?

Sorry.  I didn't know what you were asking specifically.  But to answer your question, no.  There hasn't been any details, video or screen shots.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Intellivision Master said:

Sorry.  I didn't know what you were asking specifically.  But to answer your question, no.  There hasn't been any details, video or screen shots.  

Thanks, there does'nt seem to be a central place to get new up to date Amico news. 😉😉😉

Edited by Rev
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Rev said:

Thanks, there does'nt seem to be a central place to get new up to date Amico news. 😉😉😉

If only there was a massive thread.... 🤔

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, cmart604 said:

You are right, if only there was. 

2 hours ago, cmart604 said:

Is that what the kids call it these days...

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, grips03 said:

Wow, looks like a ton of controller lag

Nope.  No need to worry.

Was running through an HDMI splitter box and optimizing is the final step in game development... which we are almost complete with.

Don't worry, we're not going to put out a game with controller lag.  Especially a pack-in.

:)

• Like 7

14 hours ago, grips03 said:

Wow, looks like a ton of controller lag

Are you talking about the delay leaving the menu after selecting the game or in-game controller lag?

13 hours ago, Rev said:

11 hours ago, Rev said:

Thanks, there doesn't seem to be a central place to get new up to date Amico news. 😉😉😉

All game videos/images comes from the official youtube page; official news from the news section on their website.  Unofficial news ... sometimes from the oeb panel on youtube when the ceo pops on.

• Like 2

On 1/8/2021 at 8:12 PM, SegaSnatcher said:

If someone says there is a 20% chance (His words) of it hitting an April release, then its likely to be delayed.   I wouldn't be surprised if the new plan was to try and shoot for the 10/10 date again, for obvious reasons.

As a programming geek, I wouldn't mind a midsummer date of 8/4/21. Especially if PRGE 2021 happens this year Aug 7-8th.

5 hours ago, gunoz said:

As a programming geek, I wouldn't mind a midsummer date of 8/4/21. Especially if PRGE 2021 happens this year Aug 7-8th.

Is PRGE even happening this year?