Rev

The Amico isn’t coming out in April? Delayed?

2 hours ago, Rev said:

Is PRGE even happening this year?

They're planning on it. Obviously COVID restrictions permitting.

So is Amico set for April still? Or did I miss an official announcement of delay?

2 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

So is Amico set for April still? Or did I miss an official announcement of delay?

No official announcement yet but it seems likely to be delayed. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, IntyFanMatt said:

No official announcement yet but it seems likely to be delayed. 

I stopped following the official (1094 pages and counting) thread. Just waiting on the Go/No-Go email for the founders edition.  Anyway, plenty consoles to keep me gaming until they sort this one out. Still interested.

• Like 2

On 2/5/2021 at 1:13 PM, gunoz said:

As a programming geek, I wouldn't mind a midsummer date of 8/4/21. Especially if PRGE 2021 happens this year Aug 7-8th.

Yeah I like the idea of a potential Summer release.

• Like 2

I'm not sure about a delay yet. German retailers still list it for delivery on 2nd April 2021.
As Germany is the other Intellivision HQ, for Europe, maybe even EU gets the console first! :-D 
https://www.mediamarkt.de/de/product/_amico™-first-edition-sonstige-konsolen-2651349.html

Actually, I'd be very happy with a summer release, but I think reviewers need h/w earlier...
I didn't get any news otherwise on my online pre-order, but April does seem a huge challenge.

• Like 2

With Chinese New Year starting on Friday, I don't see how it would be still possible to release on April 2nd when the production has not started yet as far as I know...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

April 15 is the current release date.  They could get several thousands produced in march and delivered by then.  Last time, they made the announcement about two months before the date.  So expect an announcement within a couple of weeks or so.  I'm guessing they will first decide on a new date before making an announcement.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

With Chinese New Year starting on Friday, I don't see how it would be still possible to release on April 2nd when the production has not started yet as far as I know...

I see no need to cling to false hope in the face of the realities of the logistics involved. It's gonna come out, but it's not gonna happen in April.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, mr_me said:

April 15 is the current release date.  They could get several thousands produced in march and delivered by then.  Last time, they made the announcement about two months before the date.  So expect an announcement within a couple of weeks or so.  I'm guessing they will first decide on a new date before making an announcement.

Wouldn't that make the whole process that much more expensive by doing a small batch then a bigger batch later?

You are probably right on finding the new date first.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Once they start they wouldn't stop production.  Let's say they were ready to go to manufacturing in March., and their deadline to ship from China to make April 15 is March 15.  After a couple of weeks of production they take what's ready and put it on a boat.  I thought they said they could make three to five thousand amicos a day.

• Like 4

On 2/8/2021 at 2:58 PM, mr_me said:

Once they start they wouldn't stop production.  Let's say they were ready to go to manufacturing in March., and their deadline to ship from China to make April 15 is March 15.  After a couple of weeks of production they take what's ready and put it on a boat.  I thought they said they could make three to five thousand amicos a day.

That's what I'm saying though. Shipping isn't free. Doing anything in smaller batches and multiple shipping will cost more. Whether it's not producing a bunch at once or putting them on multiple boats.

1 hour ago, MrBeefy said:

That's what I'm saying though. Shipping isn't free. Doing anything in smaller batches and multiple shipping will cost more. Whether it's not producing a bunch at once or putting them on multiple boats.

What's the difference in unit shipping cost of 10k consoles vs 50k consoles?

I'll be fine even if the Amico is delayed until holiday 2021.  I've still got plenty of things to play until then.  However, a delay to 2022 would be very disappointing.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Noah98 said:

I'll be fine even if the Amico is delayed until holiday 2021.  I've still got plenty of things to play until then.  However, a delay to 2022 would be very disappointing.

Agreed.  I understand that it has been delayed.  But, you delay it too much then, well, this might lose a heckuva lot of traction imo.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mr_me said:

What's the difference in unit shipping cost of 10k consoles vs 50k consoles?

You're forgetting the other extra shipments for the other 40k units. 😉

25 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

You're forgetting the other extra shipments for the other 40k units. 😉

How many amicos do you think fit in a shipping container?

17 minutes ago, mr_me said:

How many amicos do you think fit in a shipping container?

Hopefully at least 2600.

• Haha 6

23 minutes ago, wolfy62 said:

Hopefully at least 2600.

That almost made me choke reading that. 🤣

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wolfy62 said:

Hopefully at least 2600.

You're actually not far off.

2 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

Economies of scale should help explain my point. There's more than just this article.

https://www.thebalance.com/economies-of-scale-3305926

Once they fill a shipping container the unit cost of shipping does not go up.  They could fill multiple shipping containers with 10k amicos.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 1980gamer said:

2609 ??

They did 2600 Founder's Editions, instead of the time honored number of 2609.

It doesn't make sense to me why they short-changed us.

A slap in the face, if you ask me

:slap:

• Haha 3