IGNORED

Edge connectors for TI-99/4A peripherals

speccery

I watched recently a video by @jedimatt42 where he built a 32K SRAM expansion board for the TI-99/4A. Since I am in the process of building more of my ET-PEB boards, the video caught my eye. The method of adding POGO pins to extend the distance between vertically mounted PCB and the chassis seems like a very good one. So two questions for those in the know:

- What would be a good supply for the edge connectors? The ones I have at the moment I got from eBay (some two years ago, need to try to locate some new supply) and they have quite short pins.

- Where does one get those POGO single pin connectors? In fact, it would appear the ones in the video are not spring loaded POGO connectors but just one pin connectors. Mouser part # would be ideal :)

Sorry if I'm repeating an existing topic here.

My link in is dead. :( They are indeed single pin machine sockets. I got them from peconnectors.com, but they no longer seem to be available there. More rigorous searching may find something.

:(

They are however the same thing that is available in a SIP format. With a fine solder tip, I suspect that technique could be adjusted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jedimatt42 said:

My link in is dead. :( They are indeed single pin machine sockets. I got them from peconnectors.com, but they no longer seem to be available there. More rigorous searching may find something.

:(

They are however the same thing that is available in a SIP format. With a fine solder tip, I suspect that technique could be adjusted.

Thanks, I may give that a go. I don't have a SIP socket, but I've got some DIP sockets I can repurpose, I'll give that a go.

Do you want 44-pin connectors with long straight pins (heavy wire-wrap type) or would you like them as saddle-mount connectors for the edge of a card? I have good part numbers here for both types--but unfortunately, they aren't cheap. I use the saddle-mount style on my PEB Spliter boards.

Wire-wrap (long straight pins):ECC22DRMN (Link to Digi-Key)

Saddle-mount (card edge): ECC22DRMN-S288 (Link to Digi-Key)

The price now is a bit better than it used to be (I paid a bit over $8 each last time I bought some), but as always, their minimum purchase quantity is 10.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ksarul said:

Do you want 44-pin connectors with long straight pins (heavy wire-wrap type) or would you like them as saddle-mount connectors for the edge of a card? I have good part numbers here for both types--but unfortunately, they aren't cheap. I use the saddle-mount style on my PEB Spliter boards.

Wire-wrap (long straight pins):ECC22DRMN (Link to Digi-Key)

Saddle-mount (card edge): ECC22DRMN-S288 (Link to Digi-Key)

The price now is a bit better than it used to be (I paid a bit over $8 each last time I bought some), but as always, their minimum purchase quantity is 10.

Thank yuo @Ksarul this is very helpful! For my current boards it would be long straight pins, but in the future the saddle-mount would be the way to go for the next PCB revisions.

• Like 1