IGNORED

Is it dangerous to plug an original PSU?

AtariNostalgia

If you're talking about the original Atari 800, the power brick is just a transformer that supplies 9VAC.   Unless it was stored in a very damp environment for many years, not much can go wrong with it.  It is possible for transformers to develop internal shorts and depending on the nature of the short they could put out a much higher than normal voltage.  I you want to be safe, you can check the output voltage with a DMM,  as long as it's between 8 and 12VAC it's probably okay, and shouldn't hurt the computer.

The 800XL power brick can fail in such a manor that if you plug it into your 800XL it can cause multiple circuit failures. Check the output for 5VDC with less than 100mv of ripple before plugging it into your computer. In other words yes a bad power brick can damage your computer.

Edited by mutterminder
  • Like 1

There are numerous XL power supplies. The only one that fails often enough to be concerned about is the Ingot, and it’s dangerous enough that it should never be used. By contrast, 400/800/1200XL/1050/850 units all use 9VAC transformers that are dead simple and very reliable. When measured without a load, they will typically read about 10.5-11 VAC. That’s perfectly fine. 

7 minutes ago, AtariNostalgia said:

How can I tell If the PSU I have is an ingot?

Check the very first post of the thread linked above - it has a good photo. There are a few similar PSU’S but the Ingot is distinguishable by the fact that it has no vent holes. 

• Like 1