IGNORED

Windows 10 Install

phuzaxeman

A few questions:

-Where is the cheapest place to get a windows 10 home licence? $130 on Amazon seems steep.

-Once you have your SSD in the Atari, and the OS installed on the USB and are ready to go, how do you partition the M2 between Atari OS (say 500GB) and Windows 10 (the other 500GB.)

Thanks!

3 hours ago, Rick Dangerous said:

A few questions:

-Where is the cheapest place to get a windows 10 home licence? $130 on Amazon seems steep.

-Once you have your SSD in the Atari, and the OS installed on the USB and are ready to go, how do you partition the M2 between Atari OS (say 500GB) and Windows 10 (the other 500GB.)

Thanks!

Here:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1311&_nkw=windows+10+home+key&_sacat=0

As for the partitioning, I am unsure if you can do it from the VCS as I have not done it myself.  I think though if you get Win 10 installed on it that you could partition with that.   Good luck!

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Rick Dangerous said:

What happens if you don't partition?  Each OS just uses the memory they need until they bump into each other? 

Windows 10 wants to run on an NTFS filesystem.   Atari OS probably uses ext4.    I don't think you can avoid partitioning.

One thing I'm curious about,  how well does Atari OS play nice?  If you have an m.2 with several partitions, including partitions meant for another linux OS, how do you tell Atari OS which partitions it can use and which it can't?

Hello everyone! I recently received my VCS but I am having a bit of trouble getting the console to boot from my 1tb ssd through usb. I have tried following Atari's installation instructions but so far just get a windows blue screen at startup. Has anyone else encountered this issue? I'll link the document I followed in the post. 

PC-Mode-Create-Windows-Boot-Drive.pdf

It worked first time for me. I have an external SSD in a USB 3.1 enclosure, and it boots in about 13 seconds.
Two things come to mind.
1) How long before you get the blue screen - any code shown, because Windows 10 does give good crash info.
2) Did you download a new copy of the Windows ISO - because the VCS hardware are too new for an old image.
3) Are you sure you didn't make a slip with the instructions - we all do that sometimes, in our enthusiasm, huh?
4) It should not take long to create the install, so I suggest just doing the install again.
5) People get confused about the VHD choice on Win2USB - it is actually writing the image to the raw disk, btw. 
There is a whole thread all about Windows on the VCS.
Maybe you find answers there, and we could maybe merge this thread later?
Cheers, Richard.

I created a Win 10 boot USB no problem.

I created a 500GB partition on my M2 using the above method from command prompt no problem.

Windows will never finish installation, have tried like 3-4 times.   What am I doing wrong? 

Somewhat frustrated right now...would be nice if it just worked but hey that's computers for you.

Looks like others are having the same issue:

I have to remember sometimes that this product is still in Beta.

PXL_20210308_234018199.jpg

PXL_20210308_204932583.jpg

After a lot of research it's apparent that installing to the internal M.2 right now is a huge PITA, especially with the Bios locked.  The big issue seems to be conflicts with Windows and the built in mmc storage/os. 

Hopefully the bios will be unlocked again soon, and Atari will also allow us to sort our own boot order which would be nicer than jamming the escape key every time you start up the machine. 

I'm also curious to see how to keep the partition on the M2, since when you format it in Atari OS it does the whole thing, not just the unallocated partition. Questions to look into down the road I guess. 

For now I'm going to go grab a USB 3.1 SSD at Malwart tomorrow and create a Win 10 boot drive.  This might wind up being a good solution for me for a while since I plan to have an upstairs and downstairs VCS and would keep things simple RE my games and files on Windows as I could just move the drive between the machines as needed when I want to run Win 10.  Not as fast as the M.2, but that doesn't really seem like an option just yet from what I can find. 

4 hours ago, Rick Dangerous said:

After a lot of research it's apparent that installing to the internal M.2 right now is a huge PITA, especially with the Bios locked.  The big issue seems to be conflicts with Windows and the built in mmc storage/os. 

Hopefully the bios will be unlocked again soon, and Atari will also allow us to sort our own boot order which would be nicer than jamming the escape key every time you start up the machine. 

I'm also curious to see how to keep the partition on the M2, since when you format it in Atari OS it does the whole thing, not just the unallocated partition. Questions to look into down the road I guess. 

For now I'm going to go grab a USB 3.1 SSD at Malwart tomorrow and create a Win 10 boot drive.  This might wind up being a good solution for me for a while since I plan to have an upstairs and downstairs VCS and would keep things simple RE my games and files on Windows as I could just move the drive between the machines as needed when I want to run Win 10.  Not as fast as the M.2, but that doesn't really seem like an option just yet from what I can find. 

There is no BIOS trick to enable a workaround for the install you’ll get the above error.

You’ll still have to select to boot to the M.2 if you exit the Atari menu

If you have two flash drives you can do it or if you an external hard drive you can get Windows to the M.2. Install the OS to the external drive or flash drive (if you use an external drive you won’t need the software to make windows 10 run off a flash). Then download macrium reflect clone the windows 10 to the M.2.

If you’ve tried a bunch of failed installs when you get into 10 on whatever you do the M.2 will have created a bunch of 100MB partitions so use disk management to delete them all.

Edited by yrly

Swung out to Walmart and grabbed a PNY SSD 500GB for $50.  I'm going to go this route for the time being since i want to keep it simple and move Windows between two VCS consoles eventually. 

Wound up using Rufus instead of WintoUSB because the free version wouldn't recognize the entire SSD when creating a VHD and I wasn't about to pay $30 for the pro.  Rufus worked great. 

Have been messing around trying to get my screen the right size; miss having those little arrows on the CRT monitor that let you manually adjust the edges :)

Going to try to update the drivers later and see where that gets me:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-winpc/windows-10-screen-is-too-large/0393b363-cd7c-4571-a05e-ef8019770743

PXL_20210309_171659824.jpg

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Rick Dangerous said:

Sadly the drivers were current and I guess I'm stuck with this "slightly too big for the screen" look. Oh well I'll manage. 

Rick, if you go into your TV menu (I see you have a Samsung) and go to settings and then to picture size, you can change it.  I had to do that to mine and and selected "fit to screen".  It's called over scan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/10/2021 at 7:20 AM, Rick Dangerous said:

Looks great, thanks! Got all my Steam, GOG, Epic, Origin, Uplay, etc. Etc. Setup tonight and played some games. Works great for light to medium duty PC gaming. 

PXL_20210310_050951778.jpg

Rick - maybe you could post some offline instructions how you got your M.2 formatted and now running Steam?  Having the same issues - trying to install Windows to my installed 1TB M.2 but getting the Windows installation error that the drive is not NTFS.  I went into Atari Storage menu and formatted it, but still stuck.

On 3/17/2021 at 7:56 PM, Rick Dangerous said:

I didn't.  M.2 is for Atari OS storage.  Got a 500GB external SSD running through USB 3.0 as my "Windows on the go" drive.    It's a pretty big pain still to get it working on the M.2 so i just gave up for now...lol

Ah, thanks Rick.  I also could not get the VCS to recognize Win10 on the USB drive.  So my plan now then is to also get an SSD (looking at SanDisk Extreme Pro), install Win10 on it and hopefully be able to use it as a bootable drive for the VCS to play Steam and GOG games, and las you did use the M.2 for Atari storage.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello to all,

As for you, it is impossible for me to do a classic installation of Windows10 from a USB key.

The installation stops after resizing the partitions with an error message that says that the copy of files is not possible.

Currently the only way I found to install Windows10 on the M.2 card is the following:
1/ Create a Windows10 x64 ISO image with Microsoft Media Tool creator.
2/ Copy the ISO image with WinToUSB with GPT/UEFI, and Legacy settings which will allow to access and resize the partitions.
3/ Start Windows10 from the usb disk, finalize the installation, and update Windows.
4/ Install Macrorit expert partition in Windows10 and clone the USB disk to the internal M.2 card by indicating to switch off the machine at the end of the operation.

5/ Once Windows10 is copied, unplug the USB disk, start the console by holding down the Esc key to access the UEFI parameters, select Boot Manager, then in the list that appears, Windows boot manager. Windows boots from the M.2 card

If it can help you I made a video (but in French only) where I realize this installation.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, gonefishing1975 said:

Hey

If I install an M.2 ssd drive into the VCS can I install Win10 and still keep the VCS OS? I don't want to erase the original VCS setup juts have both

Thanks

VCS OS is installed on eMMC (32GB) totally independent from M.2 slot

Windows is not supported on M.2 internal storage by Atari, but work great and faster from external USB disk