IGNORED

CONFIG Improvements?

Hey guys,

What can be done better in CONFIG? I have spent an unbelievable amount of time trying to make a good user interface out of what is available (the keyboard, and the joystick), but I know some people have been hitting snags or things that don't feel right. What can be done better?

WIN_20210106_11_28_08_Pro.thumb.jpg.b38f89b6582ed6cf65c3a625d0a43b26.jpg

-Thom

While browsing the directory tree of a server, you can hit <Delete> to back to the previous level.  I keep expecting <Delete> at the top level of the hiearchy to take me back to the home screen, but it doesn't.

And while browsing long lists (like the Holmes archive for example), it's very tedious to sequentially step through the list one page at a time, especially if you're looking for a file near the end of the alphabet.  Some form of pagination controls like web pages routinely use would be welcome.

Edited by FifthPlayer
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, FifthPlayer said:

While browsing the directory tree of a server, you can hit <Delete> to back to the previous level.  I keep expecting <Delete> at the top level of the hiearchy to take me back to the home screen, but it doesn't.

And while browsing long lists (like the Holmes archive for example), it's very tedious to sequentially step through the list one page at a time, especially if you're looking for a file near the end of the alphabet.  Some form of pagination controls like web pages routinely use would be welcome.

The way I had hoped to deal with this, was with the Filter command. maybe a 'J'ump followed by a letter to move to files starting with...but that then goes inconsistent when used in conjunction with filter.

-Thom

I'd like a single key command (or maybe CTRL+key to help prevent accidents) that clears all the loaded drive slots, as opposed to hitting TAB, then clearing them one by one. 

As for navigating long lists, perhaps instead of only having access to filters (which is useful if you know the name or part of the name you're looking for), you could use something like CTRL+letter to jump immediately in the list to files starting with that letter? Just spitballing here. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

I'd like a single key command (or maybe CTRL+key to help prevent accidents) that clears all the loaded drive slots, as opposed to hitting TAB, then clearing them one by one. 

As for navigating long lists, perhaps instead of only having access to filters (which is useful if you know the name or part of the name you're looking for), you could use something like CTRL+letter to jump immediately in the list to files starting with that letter? Just spitballing here. 

Both excellent ideas. On my todo list.

Edited by tschak909
  • Like 1

On 1/6/2021 at 5:58 PM, DrVenkman said:

Clear All device slots implemented as SHIFT-< (clear is printed on this key), CTRL-< also does it. now I just need to find screen real estate to mention it. :)

https://github.com/FujiNetWIFI/fujinet-config/issues/26

-Thom

Edited by tschak909

How about using the arrow keys to navigate the file structure? I think is the most common way of doing it. But probably it is a good reason why you chose  delete and return instead of left and right arrow keys... Actually, maybe both can live in harmony.

And I agree with DrVenkman regarding some way to trigger a "search as you type" kind of feature. Similar to file commanders or similar to the windows key function in Windows: you click and then start typing and results are shown and filtered as you type. Then maybe move thru the list with arrows keys and then "Return". To improve speed the search could be restricted by the starting of the filename, and use the already great filter functionality for searching inside or in any part of the filename.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tschak909 said:

Clear All device slots implemented as SHIFT-< (clear is printed on this key), CTRL-< also does it. now I just need to find screen real estate to mention it. :)

I suggest the same solution you used in PLATOTerm: a popup help screen triggered by one of the console keys (and ideally the dedicated HELP key on XL/XE machines).

This probably isn't the right place to mention it, but PLATOTerm currently makes no use of the dedicated XL/XE HELP key. It could easily serve as an alias for the PLATO Help key, which would be a nice touch.

Edited by FifthPlayer
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, FifthPlayer said:

I suggest the same solution you used in PLATOTerm: a popup help screen triggered by one of the console keys (and ideally the dedicated HELP key on XL/XE machines).

This probably isn't the right place to mention it, but PLATOTerm currently makes no use of the dedicated XL/XE HELP key. It could easily serve as an alias for the PLATO Help key, which would be a nice touch.

I deliberately do not like hidden things.

Nor do I think using the HELP key is beneficial, as not all machines have it (nor an equivalent on those that don't).

-Thom

46 minutes ago, tschak909 said:

I deliberately do not like hidden things.

Nor do I think using the HELP key is beneficial, as not all machines have it (nor an equivalent on those that don't).

-Thom

In CONFIG, you can replace all the text currently at the bottom of the screen with a small "Press START for help".  In fact you could get back a line of text on that screen which could be used for other purposes.

Concerning PlatoTerm, I'm not advocating removing any functionality, simply adding the HELP key (on systems that have it) as an alias for CTRL-H.

I've been racking my brains on how to implement "jumping" given how the file directory comes to us in the first place.

The thing you all have to understand is that all the usual tricks that you can do when you have a lot more memory (such as buffering the whole directory into memory) can't be done here, so it's not like, you just "jump" to the point in the array where you start displaying.

I can filter, because I can re-do the directory query against a pattern, so this was considered an okay compromise.

I'll add left arrow and right arrow for up-dir and select respectively.

-Thom

Just a caution: in AVGCart left and right arrows (without control) are used for moving to the next page (instead of < and >). So that is another possibility, use arrows for page skip,  and delete/return for up/down directory.

It is just that now I am not so sure that arrows will not confused people using other systems.

Comments?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Philsan said:

Speaking of multicarts, I would like an option to disable key clicks, like AVGCart or Side 3.

But I think key clicks should be disabled/enabled in web config, not config.

I'll disable keyclicks by default, if anyone is bothered, then I will make it an option.

-Thom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the CONFIG tool, it works as expected. I like the key info at the bottom of the CONFIG screens. Very helpful for beginners!

I often want to select a drive to boot. But the Disk Rotate Button seems not to work in CONFIG (nothing happens when pressing it). So I must boot D1: (via OPTION), then press the disk rotate button, then reboot. I see the following possibilities to add this function:
- Disk Rotate Button works in CONFIG
- Add a key press, which does the same as the Disk Rotate Button. This can be indicated on the screen by e.g. an asterisk between the host and drive number in the drive slots list.

- Add a key press to rotate the displayed ATR/XEX filespecs as Altirra (Disk.RotateNext function) and other SIO2xx devices.

- Add a key press to swap the selected entry with D1:

I would prefer one of the last two options.

1 hour ago, StefanD said:

Thanks for the CONFIG tool, it works as expected. I like the key info at the bottom of the CONFIG screens. Very helpful for beginners!

I often want to select a drive to boot. But the Disk Rotate Button seems not to work in CONFIG (nothing happens when pressing it). So I must boot D1: (via OPTION), then press the disk rotate button, then reboot. I see the following possibilities to add this function:
- Disk Rotate Button works in CONFIG
- Add a key press, which does the same as the Disk Rotate Button. This can be indicated on the screen by e.g. an asterisk between the host and drive number in the drive slots list.

- Add a key press to rotate the displayed ATR/XEX filespecs as Altirra (Disk.RotateNext function) and other SIO2xx devices.

- Add a key press to swap the selected entry with D1:

I would prefer one of the last two options.

Multiple people have asked, so will look into doing this. :)

-Thom