IGNORED

CONFIG Improvements?

On the disk rotate, and also the disk swap button how do they actually work?  I see people referring to disk swap and rotate, but nothing on how to set up disks that will be swapped with the A button tap and I can find no mention of disk rotate in the quick start guide or config manual, or any listed key press on any screen that will rotated disks. Are people using "rotate" and "swap" to refer to the same A button on the Fujinet device? Is there further documentation beside the Quick Start Guide and the Config User's Guide that I am missing?

I was thinking, without knowing how to do either or find out how either works, that it would be nice to mount an image in D1: and in D2:  and when pressing the button on Fujinet it would swap whatever is mounted in those positions automatically. But maybe that is how it works? But I also thought it would be nice to be able to mount images in all 8 virtual drives and be able to rotate images from any of D2:-D8: into the D1: position right on the mount screen, is this how disk rotate works? And if so, how do I actually do a disk rotation?

Edited by Gunstar

18 minutes ago, Gunstar said:

On the disk rotate, and also the disk swap button how do they actually work?  I see people referring to disk swap and rotate, but nothing on how to set up disks that will be swapped with the A button tap and I can find no mention of disk rotate in the quick start guide or config manual, or any listed key press on any screen that will rotated disks. Are people using "rotate" and "swap" to refer to the same A button on the Fujinet device? Is there further documentation beside the Quick Start Guide and the Config User's Guide that I am missing?

I was thinking, without knowing how to do either or find out how either works, that it would be nice to mount an image in D1: and in D2:  and when pressing the button on Fujinet it would swap whatever is mounted in those positions automatically. But maybe that is how it works? But I also thought it would be nice to be able to mount images in all 8 virtual drives and be able to rotate images from any of D2:-D8: into the D1: position right on the mount screen, is this how disk rotate works? And if so, how do I actually do a disk rotation?

sigh, guys... GUYS... this is NOT HARD. (frustrated)

Press button A for a moment, the fujinet will blink, and the disk slots will rotate.

I MADE A #@()#@ VIDEO SHOWING HOW IT'S DONE!

If you want SAM to talk on a disk swap, turn him on in the web admin.

Here's another video:

Edited by tschak909

Nobody told me there was a video! It's hard if you have no idea because you don't know about a video! What ever happened to instruction manuals or guides that tell you EVERYTHING?!?:rolling:

Thanks, finally, I'll watch the video!:thumbsup:

Ok, I watched the video, and now I know and it's easy. But before I knew, I thought that disks were suppose to swap in and out of D1: somehow, because I'm used to using D2: only when games or apps are programmed for TWO drives! So I was looking for commands or something that would do disk swaps in and out of disk 1, and not using more than one drive and "rotating" them. Why? because in the 35+ years of using the 8-bit I never put disks in both drives and have them suddenly swap with each other or have the drives swap numbers.;)

I guess I'm just too old-school and I still use multiple floppy drives and physically swap disks and still do to this day, as I prefer real floppy disks, and only ever used virtual drives as either disk one or two, and a physical disk as either drive one or two, and let the program search drives for disk B, C, etc. . I have floppy drives, six of them as a matter of fact, and I like to use hardware that I own. So it it my fault for not keeping up with the virtual Jones', maybe so, but I'm still use to stuff like this being plainly stated in manuals and guides and don't expect to have to go to some site or youtube to watch a video on it to find out how new hardware works. Especially when no on tells me or it's not referenced in a manual or guide I'm reading! So I happen to be behind the virtual tech "curve" and am a complete noob to thinking about using virtual drives in this way. I have just never used more than one virtual drive at a time, except for games like Alternate Reality: The Dungeon where the program automatically searches for more than one drive and instead of swapping or rotating disks to disk one, it loads the disk in the next drive for me, without having to push a swap button.

The truth is, I still plan to use a real floppies and virtual disks together, so I won't have to bother with virtual swapping for multi-disk games, but since I couldn't find out how in documentation, I was curious, and asked. Have you thought about a pinned topic at the top of the Fujinet sub-forum explaining all of this so you don't have to for "idiot" noobs like me, since there isn't any text documentation covering it?

Edited by Gunstar

dunno... directly from https://github.com/FujiNetWIFI/fujinet-platformio/wiki/FujiNet-Quickstart-Guide

Buttons

Left-to-right, the buttons are:

• Button A
    • Tap: Disk swap
    • Hold: Toggle "SIO2BT" mode
  • Button B
    • Tap: Print debug info to serial console
    • Hold: "Safe reset" (unmounts SD card before reboot)
    • Hold on powerup: Reset #FujiNet config
  • Reset
    • Upon rebooting Atari, with #FujiNet responding as "drive #1", return to #FujiNet CONFIG (rather than disk mounted in drive slot #1)

and one heck of a manual is there as well... it's in great detail not to mention anything else you want right down to the individual lines of code that make everything happen...

Edited by _The Doctor__

25 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

dunno... directly from https://github.com/FujiNetWIFI/fujinet-platformio/wiki/FujiNet-Quickstart-Guide

Buttons

Left-to-right, the buttons are:

• Button A
    • Tap: Disk swap
    • Hold: Toggle "SIO2BT" mode
  • Button B
    • Tap: Print debug info to serial console
    • Hold: "Safe reset" (unmounts SD card before reboot)
    • Hold on powerup: Reset #FujiNet config
  • Reset
    • Upon rebooting Atari, with #FujiNet responding as "drive #1", return to #FujiNet CONFIG (rather than disk mounted in drive slot #1)

and one heck of a manual is there as well... it's in great detail not to mention anything else you want right down to the individual lines of code that make everything happen...

It doesn't say, mount second disk in D2: or all disks in a different drive for each disk, but then later it will be swapped or rotated to the next Drive up or to D1:. It's obviously assuming the user should know all about disk swapping with virtual drives mounted into another virtual drive that won't actually be used. I'm not used to mounting a disk in a second or third drive to not use the second or third drive, but to have it there only to be swapped into D1:. All it says is Tap: Disk swap. So I figured you would "tag" other ATR's  to be mounted into D1: when you tap the button, not mount into D2:, but don't use D2:, it's just a holding spot until it's swapped into disk one. If it said that in the guide, I would have read it and understood.;)

But as I said above, I'm just too old school and still think of using drives, even virtual ones the same way I always used physical drives. I'm not used to using virtual drives other than the same way I always used real drives. So I was completely IGNORANT of using them any other way, and expect more detailed explanation if I'm not to use them in the traditional way. But now I know. If a game or program is programmed to use only one drive, I have always just made real floppies out of ATR's and used real disk drives, I'm still old-school like that. I don't own real floppy drives to just ignore them and do everything virtually by swapping mounts. SORRY to be such an ignorant burden and require Virtual disk swapping 101 for noobs: mount disks that are suppose to go into D1: into D2: and beyond and then swap when it's time. I just didn't think that way, until now.:dunce:

Unmounting an SD card before rebooting or resetting is a totally new thing to me with Fujinet as well, so I didn't understand and the guide isn't detailed enough to help me understand. And, if "one heck of a manual is there as well" I missed it, which is EXACTLY why I asked if there was more documentation I missed in my first post about all of this, but I was not told there was more that I missed, I was just given a video that I also didn't know existed that I needed to watch! Like I said in the post above, a sticky topic is needed for the complete virtual drive noob, like me, so you guys don't have to put up with Fujinet/virtual drive ignorant people like me.

Edited by Gunstar

again, just click around the web page there are guides with videos that show you dang near everything...

https://fujinet.online/swapping-with-sam/

and a whole bunch of the work through guides with video

https://fujinet.online/category/guides/

just explore the fujinet website or the repositories... it is almost all there... ;)

perhaps a work flow type up from the videos could help further?

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

again, just click around the web page there are guides with videos that show you dang near everything...

https://fujinet.online/swapping-with-sam/

Thanks, if this had been the first reply to my question I could have gone and read and watched what I had missed and I would have learned.:thumbsup:

A sticky thread for the ignorant noob at the top of this sub-forum would have avoided all of this, instead of me having to jump around to different sites trying to rake in all the information myself and ask these stupid questions for you guys to have to point me too the answers I missed jumping around trying to find it all myself and missing a bunch. But I most certainly do appreciate it and thanks @_The Doctor__ and thanks @tschak909 for all the trouble I put you through here.

Edited by Gunstar

4 hours ago, StefanD said:

Thanks for the CONFIG tool, it works as expected. I like the key info at the bottom of the CONFIG screens. Very helpful for beginners!

I often want to select a drive to boot. But the Disk Rotate Button seems not to work in CONFIG (nothing happens when pressing it). So I must boot D1: (via OPTION), then press the disk rotate button, then reboot. I see the following possibilities to add this function:
- Disk Rotate Button works in CONFIG
- Add a key press, which does the same as the Disk Rotate Button. This can be indicated on the screen by e.g. an asterisk between the host and drive number in the drive slots list.

- Add a key press to rotate the displayed ATR/XEX filespecs as Altirra (Disk.RotateNext function) and other SIO2xx devices.

- Add a key press to swap the selected entry with D1:

I would prefer one of the last two options.

I have used the N: handler with XDOS, and, boy, it's almost seamless. :)

I can do directories with DIR N: (it sends AUX2=128 so it gives the long filename back)

I can binary load files from N:

I can't copy files because I can't specify a destination filename correctly (and the long filenames wind up writing a blank directory entry to the destination disk!)

To reproduce:

* Load XDOS 2.42 from atari-apps.irata.online/DOS

* NCD N:TNFS://ATARI-APPS.IRATA.ONLINE/

* DIR N:

* NCD N:Games/

* DIR N:

* NCD N:Homesoft/

* DIR N:

* NCD N:C/

* COP N:Cypher Bowl.xex D2:CYPHER.COM 

;)

Am I doing something wrong? or does something need to be amended?

-Thom

46 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

maybe a sticky with individual links to the guides, the quick start, the manual, the ... .... ...

Exactly.

I've been testing this all out and it's simple enough now that I know, and @tschak909 probably made it as easy as can be for Fujinet. But honestly, in the long run, it's just easier for me to pull out the real floppies I need for any given game, lay them in front of my real disk drive, and swap out when needed instead of having to go into a directory, pick disks to mount and use a button and reset the Fujinet like this.

So again, in the end, as long as my real drives work and floppies work, it's easier to stick to the old school way. Even at slower real drives speeds, most games load fast enough for me. Even my Incognito side loader or MyIDE II and SDrive Max on my 1200XL only get used for productivity like programming and loading .xex's and to get ATR's off the net and burned to real floppies. Otherwise I still use the old floppy disk and drive for general gaming and I will continue to do it old school like that, because I enjoy using the hardware too.

I got the Fujinet for what it can do with Wi-Fi and online gaming and BBS's and that's what I'll use it for, and enjoy it for that. It's the exact same reason that when I installed my Incognito I didn't bother with the ATR swap button on it either. By the same token I got the Incognito to make my 800 XL/XE compatible and the extra memory and that's the main reason I like it, that and the PBI. The ATR functionality is just extra bells and whistles I don't personally need. Of course the Fujinet will take the place of SIO2PC and APE or AspQT too.

Edited by Gunstar

31 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

I can see this progressing to where a batch files sets the whole game up into the proper slots, whether it be 2 disks, 3 disks, 4,5, or 8... just select the game name bat and it's automatic.

Now that is a thought and I would use ATR functionality at that point.

Edited by Gunstar

@tschak909 Thinking on all of this a bit more, because that's where my mind is still, I think a better way, if it's possible, would be to mount all the ATR images needed in the virtual drives, but instead of swapping and rotating ATR's to drive one and going through the Fujinet reset procedure, would be to make the swap button swap drive numbers and not have to reset the Fujinet at all. Just a Fujinet noob who doesn't know the hardware, looking at it the other way around. just a thought...because I've installed front drive number switches on my real disk drives and that's how I do it (on my XL with my 1050's, my 800's Indus drives I have not yet modified like this) with real disks instead of swapping disks.

Edited by Gunstar

19 minutes ago, tschak909 said:

The swap happens without the need of resetting the fujinet, that was the point, to be able to support multi-disk games.

-Thom

Duh, sorry I  lost my place in the button guide and got functions mixed up...:dunce:That's why I'm a noob to this! So it does work the way I was thinking anyway, just swapping one thing instead of another...don't worry I will eventually learn my way around this device and stop asking stupid questions and giving ideas that aren't useful. Thanks for your patience with me.

Edited by Gunstar

23 minutes ago, Gunstar said:

Duh, sorry I  lost my place in the button guide and got functions mixed up...:dunce:That's why I'm a noob to this! So it does work the way I was thinking anyway, just swapping one thing instead of another...don't worry I will eventually learn my way around this device and stop asking stupid questions and giving ideas that aren't useful. Thanks for your patience with me.

My complaining aside, you give a shit, therefore, I give a shit. :)

-Thom

• Thanks 1

Hi

not sure if it was suggested before (or even if it exists already!) , but a nice addition to the CONFIG would be to keep history of the images selected previously. Maybe this could be stored in the SD and accessible through a different screen. The history could have the source (TNFS server, etc), the filename, what slot it was inserted and maybe the date (not so important I think). It could store a limited number of entries just so it doesn't grow out of control. (The slot is interesting but maybe users will want to keep history and ignore it to be able to insert in another slot, but the slot is useful for the idea below).

One extension of that could be the existence of file set files. One could create the list of files (same mechanism of the history) and give it a name. The user could then load the file set instead of each file individually.

Cheers

• Like 2

8 hours ago, tschak909 said:

If what can be done?

-Thom

I think he's referring to @_The Doctor__'s comment above in post 36 about having disk swaps set up in batch files within SDX. Though I understand SDX and batch files, as I use them all the time to get things set up the way I like in SDX for programming, I don't understand Fujinet really yet, so I've no idea how it would be donw.

• Like 1

Hi do you think it would be feasible to have some features to manipulate disk images from CONFIG ? Like Delete, Rename or even Move? 
simple example: you can create a New disk image in your SD, but if you  have a typo in the name, you have to take the SD card out plug it to your PC to rename it... or I missed something? 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ojanhk said:

Hi do you think it would be feasible to have some features to manipulate disk images from CONFIG ? Like Delete, Rename or even Move? 
simple example: you can create a New disk image in your SD, but if you  have a typo in the name, you have to take the SD card out plug it to your PC to rename it... or I missed something? 

Yup, the one reason I haven't done that has literally been memory constraints. I had originally intended for CONFIG to fit in 16K of RAM, seeing as that's not currently happening (or not going to happen) maybe I need to revisit adding a full blown file manager...

or better, somebody could contribute the code? (there IS a reason this code is open!) :)

Code is here:

https://github.com/FujiNetWIFI/fujinet-config

-Thom

• Like 1

On 1/26/2021 at 3:18 AM, tschak909 said:

I have used the N: handler with XDOS, and, boy, it's almost seamless. :)

I can do directories with DIR N: (it sends AUX2=128 so it gives the long filename back)

I can binary load files from N:

I can't copy files because I can't specify a destination filename correctly (and the long filenames wind up writing a blank directory entry to the destination disk!)

To reproduce:

* Load XDOS 2.42 from atari-apps.irata.online/DOS

* NCD N:TNFS://ATARI-APPS.IRATA.ONLINE/

* DIR N:

* NCD N:Games/

* DIR N:

* NCD N:Homesoft/

* DIR N:

* NCD N:C/

* COP N:Cypher Bowl.xex D2:CYPHER.COM 

Am I doing something wrong? or does something need to be amended?

-Thom

- In the COP example, XDOS interprets the space between Cypher and Bowl.xex as parameter delimiter. So XDOS is executing COP N:Cypher Dx:Bowl.xex, where x ist the default drive - so you'll get Error 170. AUX2=128 is from the cassette support for short IRGs. In my new XDOS 2.5x version (not published yet), I'll do AUX2=128 only, when "C:" is used. You can patch XDOS 2.43 by changing $1A33 from $6a to $ea, e.g. enter "=1A33 EA" in the XDOS command line. This will set AUX2 to 0. (There is no easy patch to deactivate the space delimiter in XDOS, sorry.)

- A problem is also, that due to memory limitations (LOMEM should be $1E00), I implemented serveral command line options directly in the D-handler, e.g. the slash options /A, /Q (Yes/No-Queries) and in the COP command multifile copy with wildcards and filename transfer from source to destination. So e.g. COP N:Bowl.xex D2: doesn't work - instead you have to type the destination filename always, when using other devices than D:. And something like COP N:*.COM will copy only the first found file. (An advantage of the command line options in the D-handler is, that you can use them outside the commandline. E.g. type in BASIC LOAD"D:*.BAS/Q" and XDOS will prompt you for all *.BAS files, so you can select one without knowing the exact name of it.)

Perhaps I should move the command line options from the D-handler to the command line for correct use of other devices with filenames like Fujinet's N: or Altirra's H:, but this will increase the length of XDOS - I suppose XDOS will get 500 bytes longer and LOMEM thus goes up from $1E00 to $2000. I need to think about this ...

- By the way, I can't boot XDOS 2.43 from ATARI-APPS. Reason is, that Fujinet sets the 3rd byte of the Status command to $FE, which is used by XDOS to detect an XF551 drive and thus XDOS uses the XF high speed protocol, which seems not to be supported by Fujinet. If I turn off the XF detection on all drives in XDOS (=711 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 does it), it works. So no problem for me.

Edited by StefanD

4 hours ago, StefanD said:

- In the COP example, XDOS interprets the space between Cypher and Bowl.xex as parameter delimiter. So XDOS is executing COP N:Cypher Dx:Bowl.xex, where x ist the default drive - so you'll get Error 170. AUX2=128 is from the cassette support for short IRGs. In my new XDOS 2.5x version (not published yet), I'll do AUX2=128 only, when "C:" is used. You can patch XDOS 2.43 by changing $1A33 from $6a to $ea, e.g. enter "=1A33 EA" in the XDOS command line. This will set AUX2 to 0. (There is no easy patch to deactivate the space delimiter in XDOS, sorry.)

- A problem is also, that due to memory limitations (LOMEM should be $1E00), I implemented serveral command line options directly in the D-handler, e.g. the slash options /A, /Q (Yes/No-Queries) and in the COP command multifile copy with wildcards and filename transfer from source to destination. So e.g. COP N:Bowl.xex D2: doesn't work - instead you have to type the destination filename always, when using other devices than D:. And something like COP N:*.COM will copy only the first found file. (An advantage of the command line options in the D-handler is, that you can use them outside the commandline. E.g. type in BASIC LOAD"D:*.BAS/Q" and XDOS will prompt you for all *.BAS files, so you can select one without knowing the exact name of it.)

Perhaps I should move the command line options from the D-handler to the command line for correct use of other devices with filenames like Fujinet's N: or Altirra's H:, but this will increase the length of XDOS - I suppose XDOS will get 500 bytes longer and LOMEM thus goes up from $1E00 to $2000. I need to think about this ...

- By the way, I can't boot XDOS 2.43 from ATARI-APPS. Reason is, that Fujinet sets the 3rd byte of the Status command to $FE, which is used by XDOS to detect an XF551 drive and thus XDOS uses the XF high speed protocol, which seems not to be supported by Fujinet. If I turn off the XF detection on all drives in XDOS (=711 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 does it), it works. So no problem for me.

I will make the status change from $FE to $E0 tonight. Maybe we can work together to make N: work better under XDOS?

-Thom

• Like 1