IGNORED

CONFIG Improvements?

@tschak909 I don't if Config improvements is the right place for my improvement suggestion or not, but I looked through all the sub-forum pages and really didn't find any other thread that fit.

I was thinking it would very cool and polished looking if when you turn on/reset the Fujinet device, before it shows the TNFS Host list screen if there was a Fujinet logo splash screen that either showed for a few seconds before showing the TFNS Host screen or a press of the space bar continued to it. I just got the idea from both the Weather.atr starting up as well as some or all of the videos on Fujinet show a splash screen.

Edited by Gunstar

36 minutes ago, tschak909 said:

I will make the status change from $FE to $E0 tonight. Maybe we can work together to make N: work better under XDOS?

-Thom

Yes, of course, let's do this in our private PM conversation, so we don't bother the others in this large thread. (And since I now have Fujinet, I'm able to do tests.) But moving the command line options from the D-handler to the command line itself would require a rewrite of many XDOS functions, so I can't complete that shortly. All other things should be possible.

On 1/25/2021 at 4:43 PM, tschak909 said:
On 1/25/2021 at 3:19 PM, StefanD said:

Thanks for the CONFIG tool, it works as expected. I like the key info at the bottom of the CONFIG screens. Very helpful for beginners!

I often want to select a drive to boot. But the Disk Rotate Button seems not to work in CONFIG (nothing happens when pressing it). So I must boot D1: (via OPTION), then press the disk rotate button, then reboot. I see the following possibilities to add this function:
- Disk Rotate Button works in CONFIG
- Add a key press, which does the same as the Disk Rotate Button. This can be indicated on the screen by e.g. an asterisk between the host and drive number in the drive slots list.

- Add a key press to rotate the displayed ATR/XEX filespecs as Altirra (Disk.RotateNext function) and other SIO2xx devices.

- Add a key press to swap the selected entry with D1:

I would prefer one of the last two options.

Multiple people have asked, so will look into doing this. :)

-Thom

YES, THIS!  :)  

I've been thinking there has to be an easier way and I'm just being dense about it, but I'm always finding myself doing the same thing StefanD described... option to option/boot, hit disk rotate, reboot, etc.  rinse and repeat as needed until you get to the image you really want to boot with.

I know one of the primary intentions/purposes of the drive slots section is to be able to map multiple drives to multiple disk images so the system can just use them for multi-disk programs easily.   That's great, but more often I am filling those 8 slots with various unrelated ATR images and just wanting to boot the system to one of them in no particular order.  There's no easy way to just say "now I want to reboot and run what's in slot 3" for example.  At least not that I have found.  

-Eric

Edited by erichenneke

I don't think that's what they mean...

I think the idea is to rotate while in the config while they can see the slots.

In addition to that, since they have their favorites in the slots and want to boot them at will, they want to take whatever slot they're sitting on and have it swap with D1: directly.... no rotate and it doesn't have to be about so many sided games... just their favorites they want to pick at will from their group of already loaded slots.

Did I get what your conveying?

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, _The Doctor__ said:

In addition to that, since they have their favorites in the slots and want to boot them at will, they want to take whatever slot they're sitting on and have it swap with D1: directly.... no rotate and it doesn't have to be about so many sided games... just their favorites they want to pick at will from their group of already loaded slots.

Yes, that's what I was trying to say.  :)

I know that's not the primary objective of the disk slot section, but it's how I find myself trying to use it (or MIS-use it?) more often than not.    

54 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

49 minutes ago, erichenneke said:

Yes, that's what I was trying to say.

I guess I can see the point of having the disk swap button 'work' while in CONFIG, it seems to be more work than it's worth. The purpose of the disk swap button is for swapping disks while running something like a multi disk game. Besides, don't some/most programs get loaded into RAM and if you hit RESET you are booting the disk that's in RAM again? ie, moving to the next disk is pointless cuz it boots the previous disk in RAM already? I guess if you power off/on again and have the FujiNet external powered then you could do disk swaps like you want. I just don't see the point of having CONFIG show you that you've pressed the disk swap button. If you're in CONFIG and want to put something in a slot, picking and mounting the disk to a slot seems easy enough to me.

11 hours ago, erichenneke said:

Yes, that's what I was trying to say.  :)

I know that's not the primary objective of the disk slot section, but it's how I find myself trying to use it (or MIS-use it?) more often than not.    

It's reasonable, I use sio2sd in that way. It beats looking through hundreds of folders and thousands of files at start up since the slots are still populated whenever you turn on the device and computer. We have our favorites and go to's in the slots. We use the swap key or rotate them and boot, depending on what's already there and what we are going to do.

It's matter of efficiency and convenience for the end user. If there's a quicker better way than what's outlined I've missed it and apologize, but ask it be explained so we can do the same.

• Like 2

SIO2SD uses a similar concept, but I guess is more confusing than just rotate the thru the Dx:

The SIO2SD has the virtual drives V1: v2: etc... Those are not seen by the atari (no new V: device). They are used to put your favorites ATRs or for multi-floppy games in those slots.

So if you "rotate" D1: it will go taking the ATRs you previously loaded in the V: drives sequentially, and will leave the ATR in D2:, D3:, etc alone.

or you can rotate D2: thru the V: ATRs and will leave the D1: alone.

And the D1: assigned to "virtuals" survive the a power cycle (get stored in the config file or status file)

I use the disk swap currently implemented in FujiNet for booting from a disk different of D1:. However, I have the advantage of cold booting my machine without powering off the Atari computer (with the U1M, or the UnoCart in another computer, or a modified OSROM, etc). 

Maybe saving the current state of the rotation would help?

Edited by manterola

13 minutes ago, manterola said:

SIO2SD uses a similar concept, but I guess is more confusing than just rotate the thru the Dx:

The SIO2SD has the virtual drives V1: v2: etc... Those are not seen by the atari (no new V: device). They are used to put your favorites ATRs or for multi-floppy games in those slots.

So if you "rotate" D1: it will go taking the ATRs you previously loaded in the V: drives sequentially, and will leave the ATR in D2:, D3:, etc alone.

or you can rotate D2: thru the V: ATRs and will leave the D1: alone.

And the D1: assigned to "virtuals" survive the a power cycle (get stored in the config file or status file)

I use the disk swap currently implemented in FujiNet for booting from a disk different of D1:. However, I have the advantage of cold booting my machine without powering off the Atari computer (with the U1M, or the UnoCart in another computer, or a modified OSROM, etc). 

Maybe saving the current state of the rotation would help?

they did that so you could use mutlidisk single drive games and such and leave your other favorites alone... it confused some people till it was drawn out in a picture form they could easily understand

Edited by _The Doctor__

(D1:/V1:) V2: V3: V4: ..... v'S rotate into D1:

D2:

D3:

D4:

d's can rotate or swap into D1:

you can see how it works this way... it actually is nice, they took it to another level

Edited by _The Doctor__

yep.. anyway .. I did not want to confused the subject anymore.. to be clear: I don't thing the V: drives of SIO2SD are a good idea for FujiNet: they are too confusing. I like the Fujinet way much better (which is the same way of SIO2BT android app by Marcin)

Edited by manterola

1 hour ago, manterola said:

yep.. anyway .. I did not want to confused the subject anymore.. to be clear: I don't thing the V: drives of SIO2SD are a good idea for FujiNet: they are too confusing. I like the Fujinet way much better (which is the same way of SIO2BT android app by Marcin)

Agree.  I have the SIO2SD and the virtual drives never made sense to me (probably because I never saw any docs explaining how they work).  Anyway, if Fujinet had something like this, there'd be no end of questions in the forums from confused people.

exactly,

that's why persistent slots with the standard

swap any slot to D1:

as well as rotation of drives is the best answer here

The V: drive thing is a godsend and a curse!

endless questions and confusion unless v drive is demonstrated and pictured

I'd rather be able to use batch files to fill the slots.

altrealt.bat loads all 4 slots with the games disks... etc.

On 1/26/2021 at 2:35 PM, tschak909 said:

or better, somebody could contribute the code? (there IS a reason this code is open!) :)

Code is here:

https://github.com/FujiNetWIFI/fujinet-config

-Thom

Hey Thom,

I was looking for information on how to develop and test for #fujinet but I couldn't find it. What I would have to do if I want to experiment changing the CONFIG, for example?

Thanks

You will need to install and get platform.io working as in the following document: 

https://github.com/FujiNetWIFI/fujinet-platformio/wiki/Board-bring-up-for-FujiNet-Platform.IO-code

You will need platform.io's Build and Upload Filesystem under the fujinet-v1 board type in Tasks.

As mentioned above, The code is available at the link above, it needs CC65 (and gnu make) to build. Once you have this set up, you can do a build pass by doing:

make clean && make dist

which makes an autorun.atr which you can copy into fujinet-platformio/data and use the Build and Upload Filesystem task to upload to your FujiNet.

-Thom

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kyle22 said:

V: devices are reserved for the Votrax speech chip, per Atari 14x0XL(D) specifications.

Please do not use for other things. It will create an incompatibility.

The next confused one who did read only partially :

10 hours ago, manterola said:

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, manterola said:

Embedded sector copier?

Basically, copy selected file from one slot to another, e.g. an ATR/ATX or XEX file. The command is sent and the copy happens entirely on the ESP32 itself. No folder support yet (and probably not for a while, that is not trivial), but enough people asked for this, so I am adding it.

-Thom