IGNORED

CONFIG Improvements?

An interface to the old non used T: device could be redirected to a RasPi device on the network running Telegram. A module to link Telegram to BBS Express Pro would be possible and wonderful.

Edited by Kyle22
Off Topic, but I think interesting & possible. :)

8 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

why would you need to use a t: device, fuji could just drop the file on the sd card or slot/storage place and the BBS could just read the file in...

It could, but wouldn't T: be nice? Nobody uses it anymore. Let 1030 Express work again. [And so much more possibilities].

• Like 1

I guess letting fujinet not only provide an r: device but a config toggle to a T: device could be nice to run all the 1030/xm301/sx212/etc stuff could be nice... I wonder how that would flesh out with the SX212 using flow control and the motor etc etc etc lines that it uses to do it

Again, I am asking...pleading...with people to step up and take maintainership of #FujiNet modules, so I can continue building. This includes CONFIG.

And adding stuff to CONFIG currently must be done carefully, as it is fast becoming a huge program, it needs to be made smaller. This program can not boot on 16K machines. 

-Thom

configuration needs to be a multi-part system at this point,  for seldom used, deep guts changes, and the all the the other stuff  (TOS)... there could be a simple bridge between the systems. There is so much stuff and it can be broken down into disk operation, network operations, wifi stuff, etc...

be as granular as is needed to make sense of it. This is configuration, not everything in the kitchen sink Atari master commander and chief.

Edited by _The Doctor__

Yep, Config is becoming a big monster (a good one) and it can broken in functional pieces.

The text reader is a good idea, but it sounds too much for the configurator. However, if we are talking about a cool fujinet file manager I'd suggest to add another feature: unarc decompression. For example, decompress and add or mount the compressed image. Those umich archives (if I remember correctly) included the blurb in plan text and .arc with the program.

Just my $0.02

4 hours ago, tschak909 said:

This program can not boot on 16K machines. 

I'm not sure 16K machines are all that important.  First, I suspect there are relatively few of them in the A8 universe.  Secondly, there hasn't been any feedback from 16K owners saying they want this feature.  Of more paramount concern is load time, as the bigger CONFIG gets the longer it takes to load, especially on machines lacking a high-speed BIOS.

All that said, I suspect the more future-proof way is to break it into pieces as others have mentioned.  You probably get one chance to code-crunch CONFIG into something that fits; after that it's just going to grow outside the 16K boundary once again.  Plus, a lot of techniques for saving space come at the expense of maintainability, and it looks like there's lots of future potential development in store.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi.

There is a ton of great functionality in CONFIG which is accessible by pressing key or a combination of keys. It's ok when you are sitting close to the machine, but I've been always using long joystick cables and now I've Dualshock 4 connected via TOM2 and a little chinese  BT adapter so I'm few meters away.

What I mean it'd be wonderful to be able to select a file from SD card or TNFS server and boot it using only the joystick.

The simplest solution could be like this:

diff -Nur fujinet-config-orig/src/diskulator_select.c fujinet-config/src/diskulator_select.c
--- fujinet-config-orig/src/diskulator_select.c    2021-07-09 00:11:17.670188546 +0200
+++ fujinet-config/src/diskulator_select.c    2021-07-09 00:04:50.473515959 +0200
@@ -647,6 +647,10 @@
         case '<':
           if (context->dir_page > 0)
             *ss=PREV_PAGE;
+          else { 
+           *ss=DONE;
+           context->state = MOUNT_AND_BOOT;
+          }
           break;
         case '>':
           if (!context->dir_eof)

After I select a file, then I choose the slot, and get back by pressing joy to the left, if there is no more pages left, mount and boot.

Seems to work, what do you think?

W.

joystick_mount_and_boot.diff

Edited by greblus
Possible idea.

Finally I came up with the following idea for simplistic joystick control, which makes me quite happy:

- joy to the left goes to previous page, when there are no more pages left, goes up in directory tree, up to 

the top-most directory,

- joy up + fire goes to main screen with hosts list and drive slots = ESC

- joy to the left + fire = OPTION = booting

Diff and binary attached.

W.

config.com joy.diff

• Like 1