IGNORED

Super Game Module, AY-3-8910 chip failure

ricky

Hi friends,

I have a major problem with my SGM third Edition, I no longer have sound with SGM games which use the three additional channels.

when I use the Super Game Module Test utility, I have no sound on C4, E4, G4, just a little crackle.

I tested with SGM compatible games like "Booming Boy", "Goonies" or "Knightmare".
The malfunction occurs on three Colecovision PAL and SECAM consoles.
So what remains to be done ? it was working fine three weeks ago and then suddenly nothing.

Thank you for your help, I am confused with this dysfunction.

Edited by ricky

This is not normal, is it the chip AY-3-8910 that has burnt out ?

I just pre-ordered a sixth edition SGM, but I'm not going to drop my third edition SGM, which I like because it has the "Colecovision" label.

Never mind if it costs me money with the shipping costs to have it repaired, I care about it like the apple of my eye.

18 minutes ago, ricky said:

Never mind if it costs me money with the shipping costs to have it repaired, I care about it like the apple of my eye.

I just ripped that label off, opened it up, replaced the chip, closed it again, and put the label back on (with 95% of it sticking properly ;) ).

I'd have Opcode fix it for you, or else you'll void your warranty.

You also have to be careful about buying vintage IC's in general anymore, especially on eBay. Buy from a reputable vendor if possible, like arcadeshop.com for example. There's so many Chinese knock-offs/clones nowadays and they're getting more & more clever when it comes to counterfeiting. Stick with GI or Yamaha branded AY chips. Check out this video and you'll see what I mean. ;)

https://youtu.be/k72SFBOZ_lw

It's amazing how well counterfeit Chinese products are, I hope that one day there will never be any counterfeit SGMs on sale, like Dreamcast GDMUs can be found.

I have the impression that it is more difficult to find an official AY chip, it is sold out on arcadeshop.com.

Regarding the failure of my SGM, what else could it be, if it was the faulty CPLD, the RAM would not work, except it is not the case.
Is the AY chip on a support? if so, it would be really easy for me to replace it.

Makes me think, having to spend shipping costs for something that I can do myself.

For the moment I am still waiting for a response from the email sent to opcodegames@dot.com

23 minutes ago, ricky said:

It's amazing how well counterfeit Chinese products are, I hope that one day there will never be any counterfeit SGMs on sale, like Dreamcast GDMUs can be found.

I have the impression that it is more difficult to find an official AY chip, it is sold out on arcadeshop.com.

Regarding the failure of my SGM, what else could it be, if it was the faulty CPLD, the RAM would not work, except it is not the case.
Is the AY chip on a support? if so, it would be really easy for me to replace it.

Makes me think, having to spend shipping costs for something that I can do myself.

For the moment I am still waiting for a response from the email sent to opcodegames@dot.com

Ok, it is support [at] opcodegames [dot] com. Replace [at] with @, and [dot] with . :)

Better yet, just click here.

Edited by opcode
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 months later...

I have sent my SGM to OPCODE for repair since the beginning of January 2021.

I have just paid the final price for my second SGM 6th batch.

Now I'm wondering if my repaired SGM will be sent with the new SGM ?

I sent an email to OPCODE but I have no response.

Edited by ricky

On 5/11/2021 at 9:26 AM, ricky said:

I have sent my SGM to OPCODE for repair since the beginning of January 2021.

I have just paid the final price for my second SGM 6th batch.

Now I'm wondering if my repaired SGM will be sent with the new SGM ?

I sent an email to OPCODE but I have no response.

I assume by now you got an answer from Grazi. I will send you an invoice for the SGM service, and ship with your new SGM. Thanks!

I did not receive an answer by email from Grazi, that's why I am continuing on this topic.
In addition I received a message from PayPal that tells me that the shipment has been canceled
There I really wonder what's going on.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2021 at 5:24 PM, opcode said:

I assume by now you got an answer from Grazi. I will send you an invoice for the SGM service, and ship with your new SGM. Thanks!

And when is it for ?

I have no news by email, it's really unpleasant to feel snubbed.

Edited by ricky