IGNORED

RMT2LZSS: convert RMT tunes to LZSS for fast playback!

rensoup

5 minutes ago, ivop said:

I just did a test with my sub-woofer completely turned down, and I still hear the difference. Not as profound as before, though. The kick drum starts to sound almost the same, and the shakers, hats, and snare drums lose some of their fidelity. But they are still snappier IMHO. And the missing instruments of the 50Hz version, were still present in the 100Hz version ;)

And thanks. Now I have to find the sweet spot of my sub-woofer volume again ;)

50Hz means 25Hz of sharpness. But it is not a Sine wave. The low square wave shoots in a even louder portion into the mid range. So, you will of course hear a difference without the woofer.  Things might get interesting, if the update speed gets faster for up to 400Hz, and to create 200 Hz LFO waves that really play at that frequency in the highest possible volume... 

33 minutes ago, emkay said:

50Hz means 25Hz of sharpness. But it is not a Sine wave. The low square wave shoots in a even louder portion into the mid range. So, you will of course hear a difference without the woofer.  Things might get interesting, if the update speed gets faster for up to 400Hz, and to create 200 Hz LFO waves that really play at that frequency in the highest possible volume... 

400hz/800hz should be possible (in terms of CPU usage) with a new tracker but the memory usage will go up... it would probably require per channel frequency selection... new tracker required!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rensoup said:

I noticed that my frequency reduction didn't work for all settings, new update available from the first post!

Thanks! Just as I was about to properly make more tests, new version!

1.2 Jan 2021
    -fix for replay frequency reduction not working for all settings
    -added version check for A8 player

I have a feeling the version check may be related to my stupidity... :D 
Thanks for this, I won't make the same mistake twice, hahaha

• Haha 1

I think there is a bug somewhere...
There are a few modules that seem to convert fine, but wouldn't actually output the correct file name, which did work in the 1.0 release. This seems to have been introduced in 1.1.
Basically the file *will* exist but the name will be different, which actually caused me some issues since there will be files overwritten due to that.

So how to trigger it, simply have a dot in the file name, I suppose it will interpret everything after as an extension.
In most cases that won't really be a problem, however, suppose you want to compare 2 versions of the same module, so I would type something such as "vinEDIT11" then "vinEDIT12", well the one converted last will overwrite the output .obx, so in reality only 1 file will remain.

Example of file name in the screenshot. Nothing was edited, I literally just converted the .rmt and this is what was output.
image.png.9543039eaf7e0a809e6f567e165744cf.png

This oddity actually made me waste a bit of time trying to understand why there were missing .obx's compared to the number of .rmt's, and that was even more concerning due to the fact the program did actually work perfectly, but overwrote a different file, so I actually thought the .obx output never happened, and simply left a .lz16 instead.

I hope this report will help a bit :P 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, VinsCool said:

I hope this report will help a bit :P 

Yep, thanks!

version 1.3 is out!

I Also added Stereo support on the converter side (outputs 2 mono streams), the player doesn't support it... 

I tried alternating the 2 mono streams and play them at twice the frequency and it sounded horrible ?

• Thanks 1

I can confirm the filename bug is gone now, batch converted everything I had around with no issue this time, and even got split Stereo tunes as a nice bonus from 1.3 :D 
Now that I got the binaries with AUDC tweak enabled, let's see what things sound like without it ?
Conversion time again, woohoo, haha.

Edited by VinsCool
I can't English

3 hours ago, VinsCool said:

Now that I got the binaries with AUDC tweak enabled, let's see what things sound like without it ?
Conversion time again, woohoo, haha.

I'm curious about the verdict!

I've got subtunes output on the way but for that you'll owe me big time...

(How about Battle Squadron @ 100hz ?)

• Like 2

I'm curious about the verdict!

So far so good! I do notice some differences, it's really subtle, and also difficult to explain.
I conclude now that enabling the tweak indeed does seem to stabilise playback most of the time, which is a very good thing I believe.
No tweak still sounds good, but it seems like some behaviours will be very slightly different. I noticed this one will usually have a little less clicks between frames of silence and tone, but overall the audible output is nearly identical.

So yeah, you were right, there's hardly any difference, so by default enabling the tweak is the best option I think :P 

53 minutes ago, rensoup said:

I've got subtunes output on the way but for that you'll owe me big time...

(How about Battle Squadron @ 100hz ?)

Well damn, looks like I owe you a cover now! :D Very awesome!

I'll try to make use of my newer tricks and manipulations to give it justice.
This one will most likely need to be transcribed from scratch in this case... The module included with RMT is good but I don't know what I can make out of it, so better learn the actual song instead.
Plus Emkay already made a really nice 15khz version of it, that lead is undescriptively satisfying to hear "sing" :P 

I'll give it a shot! That may also help me erase my debt from the PoP tunes I never finished or made poorly... ?

• Like 1

not sure what you mean, there's Pokey emulation on the TIA ? ?

The 7800 has support for expansion audio chip in cartridges, such as the POKEY used in like 2 games I think? I know Ballblazer used it.
Anything else uses the same old TIA from the 2600.

Sorry for triple posting...

So comparing outputs between AUDC tweak and no tweak, I have got 1 song that does have significant differences in playback.
It's not a lot... but I can definitely tell the behaviour is very different between the 2 versions, one of them seems a lot more stable :D 

The one with tweak here definitely flows a lot smoother, doesn't it?
(runs at 60hz btw, however running it at 50hz will exhibit the exact same effect)

Sketch 31 v8.obx Sketch 31 v8.obx

Edited by VinsCool
50hz addendum

3 hours ago, VinsCool said:

So comparing outputs between AUDC tweak and no tweak, I have got 1 song that does have significant differences in playback.
It's not a lot... but I can definitely tell the behaviour is very different between the 2 versions, one of them seems a lot more stable :D 

(runs at 60hz btw, however running it at 50hz will exhibit the exact same effect)

Sketch 31 v8.obx 5.72 kB · 1 download Sketch 31 v8.obx 5.71 kB · 1 download

Raster did build the tracker on wrong informations that happened for decades earlier. You know, even today the books write of "high pass filter" ...

The RMT runtime seems to do preparations -inbetween- to have this cranked C64 synth . 

Using the AUDCTL tweak seems to cut that off. 

I'm pretty sure, with "todays" knowledge RMT would have been fixed back then.  

The version without the tweak in yelling , the version using the tweak sounds much more fluent. 

Edited by emkay
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, VinsCool said:

I'll try to make use of my newer tricks and manipulations to give it justice.
This one will most likely need to be transcribed from scratch in this case... The module included with RMT is good but I don't know what I can make out of it, so better learn the actual song instead.

Awesome ?(I still enjoy your Actraiser arrangement btw!)

6 hours ago, VinsCool said:

Sketch 31 v8.obx 5.72 kB · 4 downloads Sketch 31 v8.obx 5.71 kB · 4 downloads

Well I cannot hear the difference ? I used my speaker since the headphones seem to be crap...

Like I mentioned earlier, dmsc's  tweak does 3 different things, so it could be that only one is relevant to the issue but if the tweak is as good or better in every case (and improves compression ratio slightly as well) then case closed?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rensoup said:

1.4 release is out (get it from the first post)

new switch to output all subtunes!

Hopefully works for all tunes... There's no proper indicator for the number of subtunes inside RMT so you have to look for goto commands and make sure the track are actually valid.

Seems, you're in an hurry. 

Here is another tune. 

It was a real breaker of rules. I suggested to play this tune at ntsc speed while it runs irregular, which made the main instrument more stable. 

It needed some fiddling, but using the AUDCTL  patch helps stabilizing the tune to 50Hz speed. 

eliten.xex

• Like 2

Good job Rensoup for subtune support! Seems to work perfectly!

I only broke it for one song, however, but I know that's entirely my fault for doing something unexpected again :D 
It's Table Manuscrite, the same song you used for tests before the first release :P 

The song actually starts with a Goto 34 on line 00, and then works exactly as expected from there.
However, here is how it gets funny:
Line 01 is actually the start of a secret tune, and then this one jumps with a Goto to line 40 at line 09, to finally reach Goto 41 at line 42.
The converter generates 2 subtunes, the first one as expected, but the second one begins immediately at line 40, since it happens to be after everything else, as it is expected for most subtunes.
The expected behaviour, of starting the second subtune at line 01 does work fine in SAP players when I play the .rmt file in it.

I'm actually surprised that my song did not break everything considering the amount of workarounds and hacked up instrument design I did, hahaha.
Other than that, everything else worked perfectly to generate subtunes!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1