IGNORED

Bomber Hero (WIP)

5 hours ago, SlidellMan said:

So far, you have a bit of a foundation, but I think you should have added this to your mainloop:

if switchreset then reboot

That would eliminate the need to click restart on JS7800 or hard reset on BupSystem.

Ah yes i have just noticed, usually im testing in ADS so forgot about the need as i test, quit make changes, reload and so forth. I will add a reset feature when back on my dev laptop later tonight. I already made a small bug fix last night with the breakable blocks and explosions. So that will be atleast two fixes and will probably make some more progress tonight then post a new build. Thanks for the heads up

• Like 2

Ok so new build, i have changed a few things and made some improvements. Checks for the player position in regards to tile locations still isn't right so the code is inactive at the moment. I hope to nail it down soon in the near future, anyway this is what i have.

• Feature: System reboot on reset requested by Slidellman
  • Bug fix: Explosion radius - blocks below would sometimes not destruct after explosions.
  • Graphics: Breakable blocks have a different style
  • Design: Map layout has slightly changed for a couple of reasons. 1) To accommodate score and other future HUD display. 2) Half tiles used on side boarder to compensate the space that would have otherwise been lost.

That's about all i can remember for tonight as i was messing around with the player coord checks for the later half.

Video

Latest Build: bomber_hero_20210108.bas.a78

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, SlidellMan said:

As of the current build:

-Sometimes, bricks that aren't near the explosion are destroyed.

-The Ballom enemy and Bomberman have dark grey instead of white.

Just wanted to mention that.

Thanks for the bug report about blocks being destroyed that aren't nearby.

Yeah the colours is a known problem and i suspect JS7800 is detecting the ROM as PAL although im not why. It's correct with A7800, so i may have to make a bug report with JS7800 so it can be looked into.

• Thanks 1

So tonight i went bug hunting as to why the random blocks/tiles would get destroyed. I have nailed it down to a single routine after many tests and fairly sure i know why. Im suspecting a wrap-around effect with my math. The issue only occurs on the first vertical row of destructible tiles. It also only happens when the bomb is placed above the tiles rather then the side or below. So it's obviously the code im using for detecting what tiles are below the bomb, well (explosion radius).

So if im right then i basically have two options:

Option1: Write some hacky prevention code for that column to prevent wrap-around.

Option2: Revert back to narrowing the mapsize like my previous build and use well thought out placement of walkable and non-walkable tiles. This of course means i lose one-two columns of walkable space.

Im in need of some sleep and will have another look tomorrow to make sure i haven't overlooked anything. There is a chance im thinking my math is correct yet having a mental blank. I will say as of the moment id rather go with option 2, as i usually try to stay clear of hacky workarounds. From past experience they can snowball into a mess of continuous hacky workarounds trying to fix the previous prevention code that breaks something else.

Anyway sleep for now ?

• Like 3

ZeroPage Homebrew will be playing Bomber Hero on Tuesday's (Jan 12, 2021) stream LIVE on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 2AM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

338484600_20210112-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.3d06f01af759e3bb0b6914274d1f3875.jpg

• Like 2

So new build, with 4 more fixes since the ZPH stream. There is quite a few decent fixes here that really needed to happen. Also note that it's still possible to destroy only half a block if your explosion radius is a certain distance from the block. The bugfix listed is actually the critical bug causing a block to break that was nowhere near the bomb.

Changelog:

• content: level framework and 5 levels added to the game with exiting doors
  • feature: bomb button restrainer
  • feature: reboot from gameover on joy0fire0
  • bugfix: incorrect blocks getting destroyed from explosions
  • bugfix: player graphic glitch

As always latest build here or first post

bomberhero_20210114_144k.bas.a78

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Hey cool to see any kind of Bomber on the 7800. ;) Noticed you went larger for detail sake I'm guessing but with the tradeoff of 10 tiles per row instead of 16. Did a quickie conversion of what I could find in case you want some more arena room. The explosion debris stuff isn't great, not very good at that heh.

I know it's early in development but have you thought about the upcoming QuadTari for some 4-Player matches?

Sprite_Convert01.png

Sprite_Convert02.png

Sprite_Convert03.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BladeJunker said:

Hey cool to see any kind of Bomber on the 7800. ;) Noticed you went larger for detail sake I'm guessing but with the tradeoff of 10 tiles per row instead of 16. Did a quickie conversion of what I could find in case you want some more arena room. The explosion debris stuff isn't great, not very good at that heh.

I know it's early in development but have you thought about the upcoming QuadTari for some 4-Player matches?

Sprite_Convert01.png

Sprite_Convert02.png

Sprite_Convert03.png

Thankyou the sprites are looking good, i had gone with 16x16 due to the limitations of the system along with most NES sprites are 16x16. So they're basically a straight swap, however the 7800 has a tendency to stretch those sprites in 160A mode. I have had to modify all the sprites to make them scale to size, so in reality they aren't a straight swap but rather modified to fit to scale. Atleast Nintendo can't say i have stolen them haha.

Anyway yes i know the half blocks is a pain and there is two ways around it. Firstly i have some code (not tested) that detects if any of the one bricks is destroyed then follows on to remove the other. I think that would work fine, or there is the traditional way that automatically places the bomb central to that tile block. On the NES and most bomberman games i have seen they use the later as it detects what tile block you're placing the bomb and centralizes it. Not sure exactly how they achieved that or what method im going with. It's something i will sit on for now and have a good think. Annoying but the game is still playable even with the bug once the player is mindful of it.

As for Quadtari im really not sure yet, Lewis (Muddy) had mentioned it on the discord. Im not even sure whether 7800Basic supports it yet (may need to look into it). Two player on the other hand is on the bucket list and in the works. Multiplayer really is a must for a game like this as many only enjoy that mode over Singleplayer. I want both as not everyone has another person or 4 to play with so the game should be enjoyable in all forms. But yes two player battle mode will be implemented in a near release. Which also means i will need to get my A$$ into gear and design a title screen for the options ect.

Lots of work to go and thanks for checking it out and sprites ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RushJet1 said:

Saw this on the Zeropage video and thought it looked cool, and wondered if I could reproduce the Bomberman theme somewhat on the TIA, here's my shot at it so far (dies after the 7th frame though)

bomber.bin 4 kB · 1 download

Wow that's incredible work using the TIA, sounds great. Music is my weak area with projects, im really liking the tunes ?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, RushJet1 said:

Saw this on the Zeropage video and thought it looked cool, and wondered if I could reproduce the Bomberman theme somewhat on the TIA, here's my shot at it so far (dies after the 7th frame though)

As per usual with your compositions, I never thought that quality of music could ever be produced with a TIA! Incredible work!

- James

• Like 3