IGNORED

Bomber Hero (WIP)

3 hours ago, Defender_2600 said:

Nice progress! :)

* I hope to show something this weekend.

Thanks Defender, i was drawing all the player sprites today for walking and directional stance. Converting them from the TG16 spritesheet 16x24 into 12x24. I feel i have done an ok job for my abilities. They probably could be better however i will start importing them tonight and run a video to see how they have come out.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TwentySixHundred said:

Thanks Defender, i was drawing all the player sprites today for walking and directional stance. Converting them from the TG16 spritesheet 16x24 into 12x24. I feel i have done an ok job for my abilities. They probably could be better however i will start importing them tonight and run a video to see how they have come out.

I am slower than you and I don't want to slow you down, however I have the first sprites to show you and they do not fear direct comparison with TurboGrafx-16... :) 

I saw that for your sprite you used all the horizontal width (12 pixels), I do not recommend you to do this, not only because the sprites will appear too wide but also because you will not have enough space to make the animations work well. Anyway, I am attaching what I did for the moment, you find the sprites already perfectly aligned in their 12 x 32 box, which obviously includes the transparent color. I used two shades of blue because they will still be necessary for one of the enemies and maybe later we can also consider adding the gray color to the sprite if it will be included in the palettes.

991701304_Atari7800BombermanspritesGIFvsTurboGrafx16.gif.54cadbc56f67aa3d94a0b6c01972d131.gif

1584783106_Atari7800Bombermansprites.PNG.7fcf6f06501b0178754e0e4f4ead79cd.PNG

Edited by Defender_2600
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Defender_2600 said:

I am slower than you and I don't want to slow you down, however I have the first sprites to show you and they do not fear direct comparison with TurboGrafx-16... :) 

I saw that for your sprite you used all the horizontal width (12 pixels), I do not recommend you to do this, not only because the sprites will appear too wide but also because you will not have enough space to make the animations work well. Anyway, I am attaching what I did for the moment, you find the sprites already perfectly aligned in their 12 x 32 box, which obviously includes the transparent color. I used two shades of blue because they will still be necessary for one of the enemies and maybe later we can also consider adding the gray color to the sprite if it will be included in the palettes.

991701304_Atari7800BombermanspritesGIFvsTurboGrafx16.gif.54cadbc56f67aa3d94a0b6c01972d131.gif

1584783106_Atari7800Bombermansprites.PNG.7fcf6f06501b0178754e0e4f4ead79cd.PNG

Thankyou for the sprites Defender, im actually quite proud i wasn't all that far off what you have as for animation. Obviously yours have that extra finesse that makes the sprites pop and look great. Well i started importing and lucky i had got to your message as i was in the processes of correcting colour indexes. What i will do is take these 4 animations and standing sprite and import them tonight (hopefully). I will leave my older ones until you find the time for the others (no rush) At this moment im more wanting to show a video of walking around the board so all good. Thanks for the advice

• Like 3

Ok @Defender_2600 so i used your sprites, drew them out and imported them. Without a doubt they look incredible compared to what i made. There is no way i can match these for the other directions. It's those little details you add with a pixel here and one less there that really make the difference. Anyway here is a video showing the sprites in action.

• Like 9

It is an incredible ability to be both a master of the science and art aspects of graphic design.  It is especially rare to be able to hone that ability on the 7800.  I am left in awe every time.  His work is truly impeccable. 

Having that coupled with TwentySixHundred's evidently high aptitude towards development and coding, alongside Rushjet1's incredible crafting of sound, this port is on track to be absolutely phenomenal.   

Every time I turn to this thread things just keep getting better and more exciting than previously.   Thank you, gents!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the kind words, guys. And Anthony, thanks again for giving me the opportunity to help with the graphics.

Just watched the video, progress is starting to be exciting. Anthony, just a note on the player animation and I apologize if I was not clear in the description, the animation (of each of the four directions) is always composed of three different sprites but also of a sequence of four frames, in fact the standing sprite is used twice to achieve smooth animation and smoothly. The correct sequence of the four frames is the following: sprite 1 + sprite 2 + sprite 1 +  sprite 3 _and then again_ sprite 1 + sprite 2 + sprite 1 +  sprite 3 _etc etc_ (sprite 1 is the standing sprite). I also recommend reducing the speed of the animation trying to get closer to that of the TurboGrafx-16. Thanks.

243488834_7800Bombermanspritesanimazione.PNG.138b9bb67253a46d57a94dfc6ea53f4c.PNG

Edited by Defender_2600
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Im truly grateful and feel honored to receive such kind feedback and praise. Personally i couldn't have asked for a better team to work with as the graphics, music and sounds are second to none.

I have to admit Marco has incredible pixel art that really has brought the project to life. I also thankyou for nudging me out of my comfort zone, as it's only going to improve my skills and raise the bar for a quality port ?

The music side of things are impeccable and im astonished the TIA can even produce such great music. Goes to show in the right hands anything is possible. What's even more amazing is RushJet1 (sorry i only know your alias) said they're not even finished yet ?

Lets not forget about Matt offering a lending hand with any help i will need during the development of the project. Thankyou very much for the example code to help with the explosions routine and your adapted sprite-based tile code that Mike has proficiently provided.

I must say this is a very exciting project and im thankful for all the help and everyone aboard ?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

This looks awesome,good job on the collision and if happy with how your game entity handles then disregard my post.If interested I can share how bomberman(Nes Zelda also uses this same method) handles the collision with blocks as I used a modified version on my port of Binary Land.Block collision & axis aligning(code will move entity and align) for my own game as I to use tiles & tile sprites but use a ram collision map.

Edited by CloakeD
  • Thanks 1

On 1/31/2021 at 2:28 PM, CloakeD said:

This looks awesome,good job on the collision and if happy with how your game entity handles then disregard my post.If interested I can share how bomberman(Nes Zelda also uses this same method) handles the collision with blocks as I used a modified version on my port of Binary Land.Block collision & axis aligning(code will move entity and align) for my own game as I to use tiles & tile sprites but use a ram collision map.

Hi mate you're always welcome to send through what you have. I can take a look but im fairly happy with what i have for the moment. Works really well and is light weight. However you may have something interesting going on so im more then happy to have a look ?

I took the weekend off from throwing down code as needed to get some things done IRL. Anyway hoping to get some code down again during the week.

Edited by TwentySixHundred

6 hours ago, CloakeD said:

I like what you have also and it looks really good,actually I like all the games you are looking at creating.

Thanks for the kind words mate ?

Yeah i played a little SBM2 on the SNES today for the simple fact of getting the feel of how it handles collision detection and player movement. Not to sound arrogant or anything but im really happy with my outcome. Basically feels identical to SBM2 and i wouldn't be surprised if they went practically the same route. Pushes the player around the blocks exactly the same but when another block is nearby the feature is canceled. Identically the same, so im over the moon about that.

I had put some work in last night with the explosions routine. Was basically a comment out what i had, and quick little re-write from scratch. Nothing impressive for the moment as all it does is flips the grass_tile to an explosion_tile where the bomb was sitting on.

There is a bit more about it other then just poking the tiles location and swapping out for another. There is a high chance i will need to speak to Matt or Mike about how i can achieve the flip without having to render the full screen. Unlike poking with character_tiles in RAM where the render is basically immediate it's a little different with sprite-based tiles. The 'for' loop that is used to render the full screen of tiles does this over multiple frames so MARIA has sufficient rendering time. So running the loop posses the issue of an approx 30-40ms delay causing the game to have a brief pause.

So i went digging through some example code Matt has graciously given me (thankyou) to see if i could understand more of what's going on. This is leaving me to think and im not entirely sure, but more of an sprite based pointer update is needed. So rather then running the full loop when many of those sprites stay the same, you're only rendering certain tiles that actually need to be updated.

Anyway i will get onto it and shouldn't be too much of an issue to fix. So having said that yes i do have my first explosion tiles flipping :)

On another note after playing SBM2 on the SNES im very surprised the game got shipped without more optimization tweaks. I mean as beautiful as the game looks there is loads of slowdown when the system is rendering explosions. This makes me wonder what exactly their approach was for the explosions. Im talking it slows to a complete crawl! Maybe 3-4 frames a second with larger explosions ?

Im sure i can do better then that even with everything going on. Obviously they're rendering those explosions over multiple frames but im astonished at how bad the slowdown really is. In many cases the game is almost unbearable no matter how good it looks and id prefer to just play another port.

Well after my ramble for the moment, im hoping to atleast clean up some the players sprites for the other directions (to the best of my ability). That way even though im still working on the explosions routine i can release a demo ROM. More so that people can just walk around and maybe play the SNES version back to back. Just for some feedback on how my collision and player movement handling compares between the two.

Cheers

-Anthony

• Like 4

4 hours ago, TwentySixHundred said:

Well after my ramble for the moment, im hoping to atleast clean up some the players sprites for the other directions (to the best of my ability).

Anthony, I just wanted to tell you that I haven't forgotten about you, I'm busy with work but I really hope to share some progress this weekend.

Edited by Defender_2600
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Defender_2600 said:

Anthony, I just wanted to tell you that I haven't forgotten about you, I'm busy with work but I really hope to share some progress this weekend.

It's all good Marco, no stress as work and IRL comes first. I know you will come through when things start to off and run. I was more referring to my mismatch of 16x32 and 12x32 sprites i have for different directions. Basically my older sprites i threw in that only have two frames of animation ect.

Was just going to make them a little more consistent for the moment just so i could have more of a feel for what the game will look like in later stages. Just so i could watch more closer to my collision detection and player movement code.

So yeah don't stress i know you will have something amazing up your sleeve  ?

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thought id show a quick little update as i have been holding off till getting a few things sorted. There is still some work to go, although this will show progress is getting made despite my lack of updates on the forum.

Basically this update video shows the explosion tiles in action. Five tiles for starters and there is collision detection in regards to destroying blocks within the environment. Obviously as you will notice everything is destructible untill i add a few further checks. It's just more to see how things work and if/what code to change or different ways to go about this. So the routine is still very WIP as i haven't set this block in stone yet (no pun intended).

Anyway here is a quick little demo and please excuse the mismatch sprites (more concentrating on the explosions routine).

Edited by TwentySixHundred
  • Like 13

• 4 weeks later...

IRL has been crazy busy lately although got the chance to mess around with this tonight. Finally got the four directions of the player sprite done along with his animation frames (to the best of my ability anyway). Threw some generic sound effects for the bomb which is nothing special and fairly crude for now.

Also was playing around with the explosion tiles. Im thinking the amount of animation frames really can be cut down or at the least sped up. This is something ill look at refining later as i will need to watch how many frames other bombermans use along with timings.

Which leads me to thinking i might start cobbling together more actual game content then refine later. Throw in some Balloms - run of the mill collision detection and maybe some other features like level entry and exits ect. Because as it stands there is no real playable ROM demo (well no point anyway). So cobble then refine im thinking is the better approach to get things happening.

Anyway a quick little demo of the player walking around blowing up some bricks.

• Like 10

A couple of things:

- Vertical movement is slower than horizontal movement.  This is a result of the double-wide pixels I think, but you could change movement based on the ratio to make it feel closer.  Basically make him move left/right a little slower to match the up/down speed (or increase the up/down speed, either way).

- Bomberman returns to his default "facing the screen" pose every time you let go of the controller, but he should just continue facing the same direction you were just pushing.  Probably set it to the first sprite in the animation of each direction so he doesn't look like he is taking a step but pausing.

It is looking great so far though.  The animations look good and the movement looks like it's properly moving you around boxes/you aren't getting stuck.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1