IGNORED

Bomber Hero (WIP)

Thanks everyone for the kind words and interest! The interest and enthusiasm helps keep the drive and motivation alive. So thanks again for the support of the project.

I am aware there is loads of work to go, like title screens, intermission screens, music, sound effects, collision detection, overall refinement, levels, graphics. I mean the list goes on and on... Although i really want to do the game the justice it deserves. Rather then rush it out, id like to take my time and make sure it's a quality port over quantity.

So with that said, i probably will contradict what i just said and add a bunch of features like enemies ect. But this is really to give myself more areas to polish and get some gameplay happening. I also think by doing this, then polish over time, it will prevent myself from burning out on a single area of development as i can chop and change with what im refining.

@RushJet1 Yes and thanks, i will need to add fixed point player speeds anyway for the speed upgrades. As for directional facing, i originally had him facing whatever direction he was last walking. I then removed that feature to keep him facing the player with the new re-write. Might need to bring it back and is only a matter of a few small lines or as you mentioned keep drawing the walking spites. Id rather have a standing sprite when he isn't moving though so will probably just add those lines again.

@SlidellMan As for POKEY music, if @Fragmare is interested in going that route, there is always the ability to add both TIA and POKEY music options via a difficulty switch. Well i can't see why not and i guess some would prefer one or the other. RushJet1 has created some brilliant TIA music so id love to have the option for both. Especially for those who haven't POKEY installed in their Concerto carts or using emulation they will still have some really funky BM beats.

-Anthony

• Like 1

Nice progress, Anthony. :)  In the last few weeks, my little free time has flown by updating some Popeye graphics, as the game needed to be called done. This weekend I went back to work on the animations of the Bomberman player sprite and I almost finished the horizontal direction animation but I see that, obviously, you beat me to it. :)  Anyway, I was reaching a very accurate result and I could share the sprites if you are interested in taking a look. Thanks again.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Defender_2600 said:

Nice progress, Anthony. :)  In the last few weeks, my little free time has flown by updating some Popeye graphics, as the game needed to be called done. This weekend I went back to work on the animations of the Bomberman player sprite and I almost finished the horizontal direction animation but I see that, obviously, you beat me to it. :)  Anyway, I was reaching a very accurate result and I could share the sprites if you are interested in taking a look. Thanks again.

Hi Marco, im definitely interested if it's not too much trouble for you. Yeah i attempted the best i could, which im actually kinda proud of how well they came out. I still think they're a little off and could be better, it's just tricky for me as im not real artist. The most important part is they all have the same ratio so now the walking in all directions looks more fluent. Also having the full set of sprites was needed to get the animation frames correct.

Cheers

-Anthony

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, TwentySixHundred said:

Hi Marco, im definitely interested if it's not too much trouble for you. Yeah i attempted the best i could, which im actually kinda proud of how well they came out. I still think they're a little off and could be better, it's just tricky for me as im not real artist. The most important part is they all have the same ratio so now the walking in all directions looks more fluent. Also having the full set of sprites was needed to get the animation frames correct.

Cheers

-Anthony

Anthony, you absolutely must be proud of everything you are doing, I would really like to have your programming skills. :thumbsup: :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Fragmare said:

And here is the finished Stage 1 POKEY theme  :)

RMT module file attached below...

Bomberman_Stage_Theme1_POKEY01a.zip 1.85 kB · 1 download

@Fragmare Wow this track sounds incredible! Very impressed by how fast you managed to throw this together. Thank you very much for taking the time to create this amazing track for the project ?

6 hours ago, Defender_2600 said:

Anthony, you absolutely must be proud of everything you are doing, I would really like to have your programming skills. :thumbsup: :)

@Defender_2600 Thanks mate, really appreciate the kind words ?

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I finally had some free time to get back to sprites. Here the animation of the Bomberman player sprite fully aligned, horizontal direction, with 8 colors. In addition to the two shades of blue, I added the gray color to the palette, which we will need for other sprites anyway. I am also updating the previous sprites with the gray color.

1157159166_7800BombermananimationvsTurboGrafx16.gif.aa537f3ce8b9e8b81bb0ef4b8ebe58c3.gif

1727738447_Atari7800Bombermanspritesv2.PNG.854324529b2f89029fcfefd387786f04.PNG

420078698_7800Bomberman160Ae160B.thumb.PNG.48adaa7de50903ed80c4259e283c77b8.PNG

• Like 4

@Fragmare Sounds really good and im looking forward to adding this to the game. It's just amazing what the POKEY can do in the right hands. Thanking you very much for taking the time to create this track. Will really give that bomberman feel to the project so it's really exciting stuff!

@Defender_2600 Thanks Marco, really appreciate the sprites they look great!

Looks like my sprites weren't all that far off but you definitely have that extra polish which really makes them awesome. I will get onto it soon and add them to the game, along with grey and light blue colours. No stress though as IRL has also been really busy for myself lately and hopefully things will settle so i can get some work done on the project.

Thanks guys ??

-Anthony

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Well an update with some progress. May not seem like much but it's actually substantial and a major roadblock now out the way.

For awhile i was at a halt due to performance issues with flipping tiles on explosions and rending new tiles. Once a number of sprites were used i would get major slowdown even when rendering over multiple frames. It was to the point that i'd have to render many frames to keep performance making the animation choppy at best.

So after messing around with the rendering loop long enough this project sat on the backburner as one i'd open every now and then, fiddle around, then back to the archive. Well got tired of that and decided to scrap rendering the explosions as tiles and have gone the overlay approach. Atleast for the explosions so it lightened up rendering time reserved for replacing exploded tiles with grass. Worked out very well that i now haven't the issue or slowdown and it renders all tiles needed over 2 frames as opposed to multiple.

With this i have also added detection of what tile is within the blast radius and if destructible or not. So now only breakable blocks will explode and static will remain. Once again, doesn't look like much for a visual aspect however a major opening to move forward onto more filler.

Anyway if you got this far through my waffling, thanks. But probably time to shut up and post a video and ROM. Cheers

ROM: Bomber Hero 20230103.78b.a78

• Like 10

So i have added an Baloom, animations and a simple score. Some other tweaks behind the lines yet many more to go. First Baloom is a test to see if i could get away with an 12x16 160b sprite. Not sure if im happy with it as i'd rather the enemies as tallsprites like the player. Just not sure if MARIA will have the time to draw multiple tall enemies along with everything else. My capture software is chopping the top and bottom of the screen which is not the case when playing (probably a setting).

bomber hero 20230111.78b.a78

• Like 11

On 1/11/2023 at 9:22 AM, TwentySixHundred said:

So i have added an Baloom, animations and a simple score. Some other tweaks behind the lines yet many more to go. First Baloom is a test to see if i could get away with an 12x16 160b sprite. Not sure if im happy with it as i'd rather the enemies as tallsprites like the player. Just not sure if MARIA will have the time to draw multiple tall enemies along with everything else. My capture software is chopping the top and bottom of the screen which is not the case when playing (probably a setting).

bomber hero 20230111.78b.a78 256.13 kB · 14 downloads

Waoow ! Pretty nice looking version. Nothing to envy the original arcade or other machines. Great !

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1