IGNORED

Identifying DSP Version/Generation

BitJag

I am looking to replace what I believe is a failing DSP in my Jaguar.  I have a few games where the audio has issues (Atari Karts & Some of Reboot's Games).  Symptoms are audio doesn't play at all, games crash, or audio runs at a fraction of the speed it should.  I have confirmed that these same games work just fine on two of my other Jags. A few people have suggested that the DSP is failing.  I am open to other ideas other than replacing the DSP if there are other things that I should check/replace before one of the primary processors on the board.

Best Electronics has replacements, but they can only replace Jags that have the "2nd Generation" DSP.  Is there a sure way to identify whether or not the Jaguar has a 1st or 2nd generation DSP? 

After compiling the list below, it seems that there are only two part numbers for the DSP, SC414201FT and 6SC600HF106.  I am assuming right now that SC414201FT is the 2nd generation DSP since it has a later range of manufacturing dates (9428 to 9506) when compared to 6SC600HF106 (earliest 9336 to 9405).

Here is the sampling of Jaguar motherboards I used to make this assumption (sorry not very organized, I compiled this as I was writing this post):

1. CPU V1.0 (SC414200AT, AAHCC9436), DSP V1.0 (SC414201FT, IHAC9441) <-- Link to Image
  2. CPU V1.0 (SC414200AT, AAHDN9441), DSP V1.0 (SC414201FT, IHAD9440) <-- Link to Image
  3. CPU V1.0 (SC414200AT, AAHBQ9428), DSP V1.0 (SC414201FT, IHAB9428) <-- Link to Image
  4. CPU V1.0 (SC414200AT, AAHFL9451), DSP V1.0 (SC414201FT, IHAH9506) <-- Link to Image
  5. CPU V1.0 (6SC880HF106, 9336YAI), DSP V1.0 (6SC600HF106, 9336EAI) <-- Link to Image
  6. CPU V1.0 (6SC880HF106, 9350YAI), DSP V1.0 (6SC600HF106, 9336EAI) <-- Link to Image
  7. CPU v1.0 (SC414200AT, AAHFJ9450), DSP V1.0 (SC414201FT, IHAF9449) <-- Link to Image - CoJag Arcade Board
  8. CPU V1.1 (6SC880HF106, 9417EAI), DSP V1.0 (6SC600HF106, 9405EAI) <-- Link to Image - My Jaguar that is having audio issues.
  9. CPU V1.1 (6SC880HF106, 9408YAI), DSP V1.0 (6SC600HF106, 9405EAI) <-- Link to Image 
  10. CPU V1.1 (6SC880HF106, 9417EAI), DSP V1.0 (SC14201FT, IHAE9424) <-- Link to Image
  11. CPU V1.1 (6SC880HF106, 9417EAI), DSP V1.0 (6SC600HF106, 9345EAI) <-- Link to Image
  12. CPU V1.1 (6SC880HF106, 9417EAI), DSP V1.0 (SC414201FT, IHAD9433) <-- Link to Image
  13. More out there...

I am looking for a second opinion before buying since the costs to get a replacement and then having someone replace it will be considerable (but still less then a new Jag).

Thanks for the help!

Boy do I feel stupid.  The part number is on Best's website.  It is SC414201FT.   This thread can be deleted, or left as an eternal monument to my shame ?

It looks like I will need to cannibalize another non-working jaguar or deal with the audio issues until the console finally dies.

I guess while this is still up, does anyone happen to have a 6SC600HF106 DSP laying around that they would be willing to sell me?

Might be worth checking power and clock signals to the DSP.. silicon devices always go a bit wacky when under voltage.  Might just be a cap going bad near the DSP and causing a short, essentially browning out the DSP.

Possibly dry joint on the package, or bad/damaged trace.

If you can scope the clock pins might be worth a look to make sure it's getting it's full dose of 25MHz, but I'd check the others 1st.

• Like 3

Well, I think I had the same issue just 10 minutes ago. I was testing some code this morning, everything was fine, got sound and pad management using Linko's dsp library and suddenly no more sound/pad.

Done some reset, power off/on, pad is working in the bjl bios (but that's 68k code) but no sound/pad in my game.

Unplugged everything, waited 2 minutes, plugged the whole thing again and everything worked again as expected..  maybe it's recap time...!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, neo_rg said:

Can desolder you one from one of my Jaguar motherboards that I use for parts.

I will just do a recap first before doing a DSP replacement.

I'm not very confident at soldering and it's the only unit I have so as long as it works, I can code! :)

But that's nice, thanks!

6 minutes ago, Zerosquare said:

I hope it's just a capacitor problem.

I had a Jaguar with similar crashing and audio issues that I couldn't fix - replacing the capacitors didn't help.

I hope it's just that too! If not I'll try to replace the DSP (or I will ask you!!! :D ).

It might still be that dodgy crap sound code you are using! :D :D 

Please don't assume my code is free from bugs, hopefully you haven't found a new one, but it's still possible it's become upset for some reason.  If it happens again, maybe just reset the system and see if a really simple test code works correctly too (perhaps the playback demo in the sound engine zip).  If that screws up then it's probably not the SE, if that works fine, then could be the SE is getting upset for some reason.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LinkoVitch said:

It might still be that dodgy crap sound code you are using! :D :D 

Please don't assume my code is free from bugs, hopefully you haven't found a new one, but it's still possible it's become upset for some reason.  If it happens again, maybe just reset the system and see if a really simple test code works correctly too (perhaps the playback demo in the sound engine zip).  If that screws up then it's probably not the SE, if that works fine, then could be the SE is getting upset for some reason.

I know you can make great bugs :D but this time it survives reset and power cycling .. sadly I won't be able to blame you!!! ?

• Haha 2