IGNORED

Why can't i beat the first level of Alien Brigade?!

Rick Dangerous

I have played it probably 20 times.  Really fun but would like to try the other levels.

I've read the manual in detail, i've read the mission briefing in game.  I get it; don't shoot the civilians/POWs. 

I've had perfect runs where i only shoot guys that are shooting at me, tanks and helicopters.  Not the prisoners that pop up at the bottom of the screen, or the shirtless prisoners that run along the top.  What am i doing wrong?

Every time, no matter what i do, i am being court-martialed for failing my mission at the end of the level...Arg. 

3 hours ago, Rick Dangerous said:

What am i doing wrong?

Every time, no matter what i do, i am being court-martialed for failing my mission at the end of the level...Arg. 

Are the prisoners that are locked up in the large hut successfully freed, ensuring they escape into the chopper, without killing any of them?

AB1.PNG.354f9d630234049e761877499f0d4813.PNG

AB2.PNG.ccd388166d1b3602420bf180d5f05e00.PNG

AB3.PNG.5af3ddb95c5cd4c79bef09a19c9e65fd.PNG

A victorious playthrough of the first level (and the entire game) is available to watch.

• Thanks 1

Of the handful of games that don't load or play correctly on my new Concerto Cart, Alien Brigade is the only real disappointment to me. I have Tower Toppler already; I have Water Ski on the 7800 Anniversary Multicart #2, and I have no real interest in Tank Command or Realsports Baseball except as curiosities. But I would actually like to try to this one someday on real hardware. Hopefully Fred will get whatever bugs might remain in the firmware ironed out soon. :) 

I free the prisoners from the hut but then shoot that helicopter believing it's one that is trying to shoot me.  I think that is my problem, thanks. 

This game rocks! I can say that after just one level, haha.

I know this is a sort of rare pricey one, but I got it in a $15 complete copy of Winter Games I ordered off eBay a few years back.  Winter games box, manual, but Alien Brigade cart. I didn't even say anything to the seller..

• Like 2

11 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

Of the handful of games that don't load or play correctly on my new Concerto Cart, Alien Brigade is the only real disappointment to me.

Alien Brigade from Trebors PROPack works on my UAV'd BIOS upgraded A3 Atari 7800 with Concerto 0.95 firmware. A couple days ago was the first time I ever played on real hardware, loved it.

Same for Ninja Golf.

1 minute ago, MrZarniwoop said:

Alien Brigade from Trebors PROPack works on my UAV'd BIOS upgraded A3 Atari 7800 with Concerto 0.95 firmware. A couple days ago was the first time I ever played on real hardware, loved it.

Same for Ninja Golf.

For me (A1 serial number with expansion interface, UAV I installed myself), using the same ROM set as you and same firmware on my Concerto, it gets through loading process but the animated title screen chokes and never completes. The hand appears and starts to move, then immediately jumps back and begins again. It’s all very irregular and erratic and about every 20 seconds or so, there will be a very quick flash of the full title screen. But the console is unresponsive and you can’t start a game. 

6 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

For me (A1 serial number with expansion interface, UAV I installed myself), using the same ROM set as you and same firmware on my Concerto, it gets through loading process but the animated title screen chokes and never completes. The hand appears and starts to move, then immediately jumps back and begins again. It’s all very irregular and erratic and about every 20 seconds or so, there will be a very quick flash of the full title screen. But the console is unresponsive and you can’t start a game. 

Yikes. I wonder what models of 7800 are best/worst with Concerto currently? I have to imagine with time, this will get ironed out.

I have trouble with some home-brews as noted in the Concerto firmware thread, and a few retail 7800 games have the controller button issues already noted (e.g. One-on-One, where the hacked/fixed version works perfectly), but it largely works, including most 2600 games.

17 hours ago, Rick Dangerous said:

I free the prisoners from the hut but then shoot that helicopter believing it's one that is trying to shoot me.  I think that is my problem, thanks. 

This game rocks! I can say that after just one level, haha.

I know this is a sort of rare pricey one, but I got it in a $15 complete copy of Winter Games I ordered off eBay a few years back.  Winter games box, manual, but Alien Brigade cart. I didn't even say anything to the seller..

I did the exact. same. thing.

Several times in fact haha. And they I realized that is supposed to be the getaway chopper, not an enemy one. 

Congrats! It's a great game and one of, if not the, greatest 8-bit light gun games ever produced!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Giles N said:

Don’t blow up the resque-chopper.

The enemy choppers are green, the resque chopper grey.

Wait til the POWs are into the chopper, the chopper to lift of, gun down a few more Aliens, and you’re onto level 2.

No, it was vice versa; 

- enemy chopper grey

- friendly chopper green

- - -

If you can get hold of a light-gun, it’ll increase the fun

(but then you must use a CRT TV)