IGNORED

Bosconian on Phoenix

ZillaRUSH

[emoji2955] Not too nice of a penny, I hope.. This literally just went back up for pre-order, along with some other out of print Opcode games. Check your email. [emoji6]

Can't comment on the freezing issue, but just make sure your contacts are clean, on both the cart & console. Good luck!

1 hour ago, ZillaRUSH said:

Thanks...it was a brand new unopened box.  I’ll try again tomorrow. I am playing with Edladdin controller.  I’m certain I have latest firmware. Will check again.

Get the DB9 M/F and pull off pin 9 with pliers. It will work like a charm. Doubledown has a couple more handyman type suggestions about disconnecting the line to 9 in the controller cord at the Phoenix end or tying pins 7 and 9 together inside (don't do this if you have the speed roller buttons). Apparently, pin 9 and early Opcode games are not friends

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CZKJM9R/

8 hours ago, ZillaRUSH said:

Thanks...it was a brand new unopened box.  I’ll try again tomorrow. I am playing with Edladdin controller.  I’m certain I have latest firmware. Will check again.

If you're playing with an Edladdin controller that was made/wired before the Pin 9 issue with the Phoenix was discovered, then that is most probably the problem.  A wire connected to position 9 in the controller cable, which is thusly connected to Pin 9 at the Phoenix's controller port, but is not connected to anything internal in the controller, can cause "freezing" issues.  

6 hours ago, Swami said:

Get the DB9 M/F and pull off pin 9 with pliers. It will work like a charm. Doubledown has a couple more handyman type suggestions about disconnecting the line to 9 in the controller cord at the Phoenix end or tying pins 7 and 9 together inside (don't do this if you have the speed roller buttons). Apparently, pin 9 and early Opcode games are not friends

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CZKJM9R/

As Swami said, there are a couple of ways to remedy this, and it has been discussed in great length in the CollectorVision Release thread, I would suggest reading through that thread for more details if you're interested.  You can test/verify the problem, by trying to use a controller that doesn't have Pin 9 connected...most standard Hand Controllers, only have 7 pins (not #7 & #9) and should work fine.  You could verify that you don't see a "shiny" metal socket inside the male plug end of a Hand Controller at positions 7 & 9, then if they're not there, try the game with that controller.  If it doesn't "freeze", then that would mean that you Edladdin controller has these wires, and is what's causing your issue.  

Thanks all!!   You rock.  I'll try an original controller later today and let you know how it goes.  Fingers crossed.  Dying to play this game fully...so far it plays amazing!  ...I do have an extra copy on pre-order from this past week...my back-up copy.

Edited by ZillaRUSH

24 minutes ago, ZillaRUSH said:

OK..just tried original controller...worked longer..but still froze. Hmmm. 

Next attempt is try playing on a std Colecovision..not the Phoenix.

Firmware: A0

CPU T808E V304

VDP F18 V1.9

Latest?

Do you show a number after the cores on the core selection screen? If not you should install the service menu update

Colecovision is currently on revision 7 

Atari is currently on revision 4 (I believe)

47 minutes ago, ZillaRUSH said:

OK..pulled out my modded HDMI CV with SGM...all good. Game worked perfectly.  

Def a Phoenix issue.  So nice to play a full game. I have not tried the NES controller on Phoenix.  Will try tomorrow.

Thanks all.

Works on my Phoenix

19 hours ago, ZillaRUSH said:

OK..just tried original controller...worked longer..but still froze.

Did you verify that your original Hand Controller only has 7 wires populated at the cable/connector?  There are/were some with all 9.  And was this using only the original 18" coiled cord...with no extension cable?