IGNORED

3rd Annual Atari Homebrew Awards (2020): Voting Information & Discussion

9 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

3rd ANNUAL ATARI HOMEBREW AWARDS

TOMORROW STREAMING LIVE ON TWITCH!

105925109_20210205-AtariHomebrewAwards-Tomorrow.thumb.jpg.b0037b8071f31666971c5d60bbfa245d.jpg

I cab

Sat Feb 6 @ 12PM PT/3PM ET/8PM GMT

http://twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew

FIFTEEN categories of Atari 2600, 7800, 5200 and 8-Bit, plus live acceptance speeches from the winners!

I can't wait!?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much!

Congratulations to all the developers this year who made a homebrew game, the nominees and the winners of the 3rd Annual Atari Homebrew Awards! The show was a lot of fun, thank you everyone for tuning in and making it the most watched show of ZeroPage Homebrew in the three years we've been streaming!

I've unhidden all the voting so you can all see the results of the voting and you can watch the full stream of the 3rd Atari Homebrew Awards on Twitch and tomorrow when it's posted on our YouTube channel.

Time to lay down and rest for a day... Thank you for all your messages and I will answer them as soon as I've recuperated! ?

- James

PXL_20210206_230426310.thumb.jpg.569b024a04721b2cf7d64c63856ed0b0.jpgPXL_20210206_230447806.thumb.jpg.548dfefe3c9d74013a0226e4ba2c875f.jpgPXL_20210206_230528642.thumb.jpg.f3d0896e7d0a433ae52a0c8911faecba.jpgPXL_20210206_230539324.thumb.jpg.0b8edbc03db17911072763a3709118f4.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 10

I had a closer look at the voting category details:

• Overall 1412 (2019: 853, +66%) votes have been cast in 14 (8, +75%) categories. The average number votes per category is 101 (107, -5%).
  • The maximum number of votes per category is 118 (134, -12%), the minimum is 86 (81, +6%)
  • Atari 2600 Homebrew is the most popular category in 2020 (and 2019), Atari 2600 Music + Sound came last in 2020 (last but one in 2019)
  • Atari 8-Bit/5200: Best Homebrew has the largest votes increase (81 -> 99, +22%), Atari 2600 Homebrew Packaging has the largest votes decrease (127 - 103, -19%). Overall the 2600 categories decreased slightly, 7800 and especially 5200 increased.
  • 50% of the votes have been cast until 1/19 (4 days).

Thoughts:

• The growth of total votes is fine. The slight decrease per category is no surprise, not everybody has the time to check 14 categories. IMO this shows that the number of categories should not be further increased.
  • The lower difference between maximum and minimum votes IMO shows that the categories are chosen right and the more modern platforms get more attention.
  • The decrease of packaging votes is probably just an aftermath of last year's voting in this category.
  • The voting period is long enough, maybe shift a few days and extend the nomination period.
Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

PXL_20210206_230528642.thumb.jpg.f3d0896e7d0a433ae52a0c8911faecba.jpg

great show - super fun and I never did get to my homework. glad I stayed to watch the whole thing.

next year we need an aerlan cam and he needs to be set up behind a DJ stand making comments and dropping sound effects as need be...

• Like 3

Wow, great show, technical difficulties and all :). Looking forward to another great year of contenders. I really hope to see more games developed for the driving controllers (Tempest Elite a great start), and paddle controllers, mainly because those controllers are so unique to the Atari platform, and very challenging to fully appreciate via emulation. As far as a dream port title, I'd love to see an attempt at Zaxxon in its isometric glory. I remember being HORRIBLY underwhelmed by the Coleco version released when I was a kid, though in hindsight, their reworking was impressive considering the time/resources/memory restrictions they had.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I had a closer look at the voting category details:

• Overall 1412 (2019: 853, +66%) votes have been cast in 14 (8, +75%) categories. The average number votes per category is 101 (107, -5%).
  • The maximum number of votes per category is 118 (134, -12%), the minimum is 86 (81, +6%)
  • Atari 2600 Homebrew is the most popular category in 2020 (and 2019), Atari 2600 Music + Sound came last in 2020 (last but one in 2019)
  • Atari 8-Bit/5200: Best Homebrew has the largest votes increase (81 -> 99, +22%), Atari 2600 Homebrew Packaging has the largest votes decrease (127 - 103, -19%). Overall the 2600 categories decreased slightly, 7800 and especially 5200 increased.
  • 50% of the votes have been cast until 1/19 (4 days).

Thoughts:

• The growth of total votes is fine. The slight decrease per category is no surprise, not everybody has the time to check 14 categories. IMO this shows that the number of categories should not be further increased.
  • The lower difference between maximum and minimum votes IMO shows that the categories are chosen right and the more modern platforms get more attention.
  • The decrease of packaging votes is probably just an aftermath of last year's voting in this category.
  • The voting period is long enough, maybe shift a few days and extend the nomination period.

Excellent analysis Thomas, thanks for doing the breakdowns. ? Your conclusions make a lot of sense based on the numbers.

I will be extending the nomination period next year to give more time for evaluations as we'll be having the Awards "one week later" on Feb 12, 2022 as to avoid the American Football weekend.

- James

• Thanks 1

WINNERS OF THE

3rd ANNUAL ATARI HOMEBREW AWARDS

WATCH THE FULL BROADCAST:

Winners List for the 3rd Annual Atari Homebrew Awards:

Spoiler

Atari 2600: Best Homebrew (Original)

WINNER: Doggone It! by Andrew Pauley @Armscar Coder

Atari 2600: Best Homebrew (Port)

WINNER: Zoo Keeper by John Champeau of Champ Games

Atari 2600: Best WIP (Original)

WINNER: Knight Guy in Low Res World: Castle Days by Vladimir Zuniga @vhzc

Atari 2600: Best WIP (Port)

WINNER: Zeviouz by Chris Walton @cd-w

Atari 2600: Best ≤ 4K Homebrew (Original)

WINNER: Doggone It! by Andrew Pauley @Armscar Coder

Atari 2600: Best ≤ 4K Homebrew (Port)

WINNER: Robot City by Thomas Jentzsch

Atari 2600: Best Graphics (Original)

WINNER: Unholy by Leonardo Santiago @Leonardo Santiago

Atari 2600: Best Graphics (Port)

WINNER: Zoo Keeper by Nathan Strum @Nathan Strum (Graphics)

Atari 2600: Best Music + Sound (Original)

WINNER: Unholy by Leonardo Santiago @Leonardo Santiago

Atari 2600: Best Music + Sound (Port)

WINNER: Zoo Keeper: Lee Kebler @keebz (Additional Music and Testing)

Atari 2600: Best Packaging

WINNER: Doggone It! By Andrew Pauley @Armscar Code (Game Programming and Graphics), Herbie Hollar (Cartridge Label, Manual and Box Design), Charles Akins (Illustrations)

Lifetime Achievement Award

WINNER: Stephen Anthony @stephena

Atari 7800: Best Homebrew

WINNER: Pac-Man Collection: 40th Anniversary Edition by Bob DeCrescenzo @PacManPlus

Atari 7800: Best WIP

WINNER: Popeye 7800 by Darryl Guenther @darryl1970 (Programming and Graphics)

Atari 8-Bit/5200: Best Homebrew

WINNER: Last Squadron by Janusz Chabowski @shanti77, Michal Szpilowski @miker

• Like 4

Usually I'm not a fan of award shows in general, but I really enjoyed watching this one.  Such amazing work being done across the board, and the little technical glitches didn't take away from the fun.  The overall presentation and format were excellent.  Kudos to you, Al and everyone involved in putting this together. I thought it was fantastic.  Thanks so much, it must have been a ton of work.

• Like 2

ZPH has somehow outdone themselves each and every year. Hats off to the team and their sponsors. Of course, the true stars of the show happen to be the homebrews themselves and they too, continue to outdo themselves each year. This may well be the Golden Age of homebrews.?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BydoEmpire said:

Usually I'm not a fan of award shows in general, but I really enjoyed watching this one.  Such amazing work being done across the board, and the little technical glitches didn't take away from the fun.  The overall presentation and format were excellent.  Kudos to you, Al and everyone involved in putting this together. I thought it was fantastic.  Thanks so much, it must have been a ton of work.

Thank you so much, the show was hundreds of hours of work to put together from the organization of all the homebrew data, to the communication with the developers and sponsors, to the creation of all the videos you saw. I always want to make a show that I would watch myself so I make sure there's enough variety in the presentation and it keeps moving at a good pace. Luckily that seems to have worked as we had the most people ever watching a stream of ZPH!

1 hour ago, sramirez2008 said:

ZPH has somehow outdone themselves each and every year. Hats off to the team and their sponsors. Of course, the true stars of the show happen to be the homebrews themselves and they too, continue to outdo themselves each year. This may well be the Golden Age of homebrews.?

Thank you so much, it was a big team effort with Tanya, Aerlan, all the sponsors and all the wonderful developers who video called in and gave those great speeches! It's a great time to be a part of the homebrew scene!

16 minutes ago, Nathan Strum said:

Needed more cats.

;) 

We were planning on letting the cats roam around and be part of it but they were so happy seeing Aerlan again in the house and were misbehaving like crazy! Hahah.

- James

• Like 7

On 2/7/2021 at 6:08 PM, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

I will be extending the nomination period next year to give more time for evaluations as we'll be having the Awards "one week later" on Feb 12, 2022 as to avoid the American Football weekend.

- James

This is my fault. Since I haven't been able to appear/call-in for the past 2 years into the show due to work, I asked James for an extra week for the award show. My boss completely forgot I requested Saturday off this year and as brought it up twice in our manager meetings at the store, that I will be off next year (along with it being rescheuled to the following weekend helps too).

See you all on Feb. 12, 2022!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CosmicSailor said:

Is there anyway I can reach someone regarding when an order that I placed on the Atariage Store of Atari 2600 Home Brew Carts will be shipped? It’s been about a week since I placed the order and haven’t received any information and my letter hasn’t been responded to.

AtariAge is run by one person. He handles the store, cartridge production, packaging, shipping, and keeps the forums running. He will get to your order. He always does. But it make require a little patience.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 11 months later...
3 minutes ago, masteries said:

Is there a ST /STE category?

Atari machines are not only 8 bit ones,

Not for the 4th Annual awards (nor any of the previous). You can see the Twitch schedule for the 4th Annual ZPH awards here. ZPH added Lynx this year as a category, and will be splitting 7800 into multiple categories next year because the huge amount of new homebrews being worked on.

I don’t know if ZPH will ever add Atari ST to the list, but that will likely come down to the number of homebrew projects being developed for it. 

5 minutes ago, masteries said:

Is there a ST /STE category?

Atari machines are not only 8 bit ones,

Maybe in the future but unfortunately not this year (2021 games). I would need a lot of help incorporating the games into the event as I don't have an ST/STE computer and don't know anything about the platform.

- James

2 minutes ago, CapitanClassic said:

I don’t know if ZPH will ever add Atari ST to the list, but that will likely come down to the number of homebrew projects being developed for it.

It would great to eventually cover the FULL lineup of Atari systems/consoles. I think there's just Jaguar and Atari ST/STE left after we added Lynx this year.

@masteries - Do you know approximately how many NEW homebrews are completed/released each year for Atari ST/STE?

- James

6 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

It would great to eventually cover the FULL lineup of Atari systems/consoles.

Dunno. The show already covers numerous systems. To me it feels like it is losing focus a bit. At least it should stick to 8-Bits systems. 

IMHO

BTW: If you add the ST and Jaguar, why not the VCS too? After all, it is an Atari system.

• Like 1