ZeroPage Homebrew

3rd Annual Atari Homebrew Awards (2020): Voting Information & Discussion

2 minutes ago, RevEng said:

Looks like OpenEmu uses an old Prosystem Emulator based core. Modern games will very likely experience problems and glitches.

The browser based emulation in JS7800 is a more up-to-date cross-platform alternative, with a nice interface, and shared high score tables. (courtesy @raz0red)

Thanks - I'll check that out. Is there an 8-bit/5200 equivalent?

I don't believe there's currently any browser based emulator for the A8 that's non-buggy enough to do the job.

The OpenEmu core for A8 is based on the Atari800 emulator, which is only somewhat accurate. Not sure if it's up to the task here.

The accurate and most up-to-date emulator for A8 is Altirra, which is Windows based, but it runs well under Wine.

• Like 1

I'm sure this has already been asked. But in the "Best Graphics" category, is it fair to put 4K games against 32k games?

• Like 1

SIX DAYS LEFT TO VOTE!

VOTING CLOSES JANUARY 31st @ 11:59:59PM PT!

• Like 1

All done! I'm really impressed with the quality of the games. Some nice surprises in there - especially in the 7800 and 8-bit scenes, which I don't really follow (although I buy pretty-much every 7800 homebrew that gets released).

• Like 3

TWO DAYS LEFT TO VOTE!

460158858_20210129-AtariHomebrewAwards-TwoDaysLeftToVote.thumb.jpg.42227ce1f68ddaad31ab40667f29e0d3.jpg

VOTING CLOSES JANUARY 31st @ 11:59:59PM PT!

This goes without saying, but the quality of these games is getting so good, thanks to amazing feats of programming ingenuity, that I HIGHLY recommend playing them on real hardware, on a real CRT (not modern LCD), in order to avoid adding any graphic/audio glitching or lag to the experience. Twitch games like these truly deserve it :). Personally, I use a Harmony cart for 2600 playing, and the SIO2PC universal interface (USB edition) to my Atari 130XE.

• Like 1

Though the total votes are already ~50% larger than last year, it looks like we a not reaching the number of votes per category this year.

VOTE!

• Like 1

LAST DAY TO VOTE FOR YOUR FAVOURITE

ATARI 2600, 7800, 5200, 8-BIT HOMEBREWS!

760014365_20210131-AtariHomebrewAwards-LastDayToVote-Smaller.thumb.jpg.cf1185c1538713dbb7f762be31e78116.jpg

Voting closes tonight at 11:59:59PM PT

for the 3rd Annual Atari Homebrew Awards!

VOTING HAS CLOSED!

Thank you so much to everyone who voted in the 3rd Annual Atari Homebrew Awards and to all the amazing developers who created the games that were part of it!

Make sure you tune in this Saturday February 6th on the ZeroPage Homebrew Twitch stream where we will announce the winners with LIVE acceptance speeches!

- James

image.thumb.png.3455f78c577893765f310ba7a4573df7.png

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 9

On 1/25/2021 at 2:51 AM, Skwrl63 said:

I'm sure this has already been asked. But in the "Best Graphics" category, is it fair to put 4K games against 32k games?

shut up,  you kill the suspense 💪

external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

VOTING HAS CLOSED!

Thank you so much to everyone who voted in the 3rd Annual Atari Homebrew Awards and to all the amazing developers who created the games that were part of it!

Make sure you tune in this Saturday February 6th on the ZeroPage Homebrew Twitch stream where we will announce the winners with LIVE acceptance speeches!

- James

image.thumb.png.3455f78c577893765f310ba7a4573df7.png

Can't wait to catch the show. My thanks go out to the ZPH team for putting this production together. The Oscars have nothing on you guys.🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well done James for organising and completing another successful voting period for the Annual Homebrew awards! Good luck to all nominees on Saturday 👋

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/24/2021 at 8:51 PM, Skwrl63 said:

Maybe not 100%, but what would be the solution for this? What about the graphics of ARM-based games vs native games, for that matter? There's already a huge number of categories, so I think we can only hope that people will judge the graphics in the spirit of the type of game it is. For example, Tower of Rubble (4K) may not have a ton of different sprites, but it is super-smoothly animated, and has beautiful and elegant graphics that fit the game nicely. I think that players can recognize that, and not do apples to apples comparisons with larger or ARM-assisted games.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Karl G said:

Maybe not 100%, but what would be the solution for this? What about the graphics of ARM-based games vs native games, for that matter? There's already a huge number of categories, so I think we can only hope that people will judge the graphics in the spirit of the type of game it is. For example, Tower of Rubble (4K) may not have a ton of different sprites, but it is super-smoothly animated, and has beautiful and elegant graphics that fit the game nicely. I think that players can recognize that, and not do apples to apples comparisons with larger or ARM-assisted games.

I agree with @Karl G assessment and Tower of Rubbles buttery smooth graphics are an excellent example. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Karl G said:

For example, Tower of Rubble (4K)...

ToR is 8K.

have to say for me had some hard choices to vote, because what I look for is what game would fit in the 2021 Harmony games,of course the final decision come from the rest of the voters and I will use that.(this just for 2600 games ports and originals) might change harmony games next year to include 7800 games if I can get concentro or another 7800 sd cart.

Robot City is (mostly) a port of an Odyssey 2 prototype.

• Like 2