IGNORED

Stella 6.5 released

stephena

23 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Then I am pretty sure this is a driver problem and there is not much we can do. You can try the Software renderer.

@Thomas Jentzsch   OK, thanks again.  I'll try it that way too.  I can live with the zoom glitch easier than the unexpected aborts, but maybe the software rendering will be more robust even if less efficient.

• 3 weeks later...

A question on Stella's very neat "Turbo" mode.  According to the changelog, when it was introduced it was described as:

• Added 'Turbo' mode, runs the game as fast as the computer allows.

When I enable it, it says "2000% speed" on both my desktop (older Haswell Intel CPU) and my wife's laptop (a more recent Intel chip).  When testing out my game (I run many games to test my AI on its effectiveness) on both systems I do notice that the average FPS in developer mode is around 1000 FPS on my PC and 1100 FPS on my wife's laptop.  

Is it safe to assume that "2000%" just means turbo mode, and I should be looking at the average frame rate as the true metric of how fast the game is being run?  Below is an example of what I am talking about:

image.png.48037224c4b9260ee9e4d57bf9f173d7.png

Correct. The 2000% are the upper speed limit which is enabled with Turbo mode. In your example, your computer is not fast enough to reach the upper limit and therefore only the framerate speaks the truth.

BTW: We can increase the upper Turbo limit any time, but 20x faster seems like a good value. Else it might become too fast on really fast computers.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

• 2 weeks later...

OK, this is stupid. I'm working on a game involving pressing and holding the fire button. When I play it on my 2600 using a Harmony cart and hold the fire button it works fine. But if I do the same thing on Stella, after about a second or so, it acts like the fire button has been depressed even though I'm still pressing space. What is going on here?

19 minutes ago, atari2600land said:

I reset my computer and Stella works again, but I still have the same problem. I reset everything to original settings, too.

I've seen this before; for me it was because the Auto-fire rate in Stella was set to something other than 'off':  

image.thumb.png.76fd659075f70f7c99f8c77243ecbf22.png

Hope that helps!

1 minute ago, atari2600land said:

It wasn't set to off. I set it to off. It works now. Thanks!

:thumbsup: FYI I also had an issue where "Allow all 4 directions on joystick" was set and it was causing a bug in RobotWar since I wasn't handling left+right at the same time.  :idea: 

I've found a rather fascinating but harmless bug that only seems to affect the R77 build.

The "items found" count on the main games path is one less than the number of games actually present/listed.  It's not that any are 'missing', if you hand count them, it's always 1 higher than the count displayed in the upper right.  This doesn't happen on the Windows build, at least.

In the interest of bug-chasing, I've attached the exact contents of my games directory.

stella_653_count_bug.zip

6 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Probably it is counting the current directory too.

No, it's the other way 'round...I just tested the R77 with just a single ROM in the games directory, and sure enough, it says "0 items found".  *laughs*

What's more strange to me is that it's inconsistent between platforms - Windows reports "1 items found".  I'm not sure what the Mac version says.

15 minutes ago, Rodney Hester said:

No, it's the other way 'round...I just tested the R77 with just a single ROM in the games directory, and sure enough, it says "0 items found".  *laughs*

Ha, then it probably subtracts the current dir. Which doesn't exist for R77.

On Fedora Workstation 34, x86_64:

I'm trying to install 6.5.3 with the RPM archive from the github.io site, but this is the response I get:

[evie@<redacted> Downloads]$ sudo dnf install ./stella-6.5.3-2.x86_64.rpm  
[sudo] password for evie:  
Last metadata expiration check: 5:15:05 ago on Tue 20 Jul 2021 09:08:15 AM CDT.
Dependencies resolved.
================================================================================
 Package         Architecture    Version            Repository             Size
================================================================================
Installing:
 stella          x86_64          6.5.3-2            @commandline          3.1 M

Transaction Summary
Install  1 Package

Total size: 3.1 M
Installed size: 9.2 M
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Downloading Packages:
Running transaction check
Transaction check succeeded.
Running transaction test
Error: Transaction test error:
  file /usr/bin from install of stella-6.5.3-2.x86_64 conflicts with file from package filesystem-3.14-5.fc34.x86_64

I'm not familiar with the RPM packaging process, so I don't know how minor the issue might be.

I just got a raspberry pi 4 to try and make a RetroPie/Stella system, but as far as I can tell, the only version of stella is 6.0.1?  Is there an easy way of getting the latest version into RetroPie, or do I need to attack this via another method such as using the raspberry pi os and settings some kind of autorun command?