IGNORED

Stella 6.5 released

stephena

14 minutes ago, Capt Moore said:

I just got a raspberry pi 4 to try and make a RetroPie/Stella system, but as far as I can tell, the only version of stella is 6.0.1?  Is there an easy way of getting the latest version into RetroPie, or do I need to attack this via another method such as using the raspberry pi os and settings some kind of autorun command?

If i recall correctly, the RetroPie people handle this directly, so you can go over to RetroPie forums and ask them.

Another question.  I created a new raspberry OS and put stella 6.5.3 on it.  I then tried to play frogger, but I am getting a weird glitch in several games where the enemy vehicles or other object disappear.  It does not do that on my macOS version, or the retron 77 version.

I bet it's some kind of setting, but I am not sure.  Here is a video:

55 minutes ago, fdr4prez said:

If i recall correctly, the RetroPie people handle this directly, so you can go over to RetroPie forums and ask them.

Thanks.  My guess is that they just haven't bothered to update it in a while, even if you build from source.  I thought I would replace the retron with a raspberry pi, but honestly right now the retron is working better.

6 hours ago, Capt Moore said:

Another question.  I created a new raspberry OS and put stella 6.5.3 on it.  I then tried to play frogger, but I am getting a weird glitch in several games where the enemy vehicles or other object disappear.  It does not do that on my macOS version, or the retron 77 version.

I bet it's some kind of setting, but I am not sure.  

Since flickering objects are disappearing, it seems to be frame skipping. Which means your Rasberry is too slow. You can try to disable TV effects and use lower sound settings. If that doesn't help, there is not much you can do. Maybe phosphor helps a little bit, also enable multi-threading.

And maybe try to clock your Rasberry higher. Though more demanding games e.g. ARM driven ones will most likely still not work.

Thanks.  I would have thought the raspberry pi 4 could handle it without an issue, considering it is suppose to work with system including playstation 1 games, and with the lower spec'd pi 3.

I was under the impression the pi 4 was a much better system than the retron 77, but I didn't get the skipping on that platform.

I wonder if it may be overheating, even though I have have the pi in a heat sync aluminum cooling case.  Very odd, but at least it gives me an avenue to double check.

EDIT:  I was able to play with the setting some, it looks like once I drop the resolution down to 720p I am able to play normally.  I really thought it would do better (I know the resolution doesn't matter for the 2600) but I did think it would do better.

Thank you so much for helping me figure out that issue.

Edited by Capt Moore

17 minutes ago, Capt Moore said:

I was under the impression the pi 4 was a much better system than the retron 77, but I didn't get the skipping on that platform.

The Pi 4 has four A57 cores running at 1.5GHz. The R77 has four A7 running at 1.2GHz. The A57 (4.1 DMIPS/MHz) is about twice as fast as the A7 (1.9 DMIPS/MHz) at the same speed. So yes, the Pi 4 should be more than able to handle everything that the R77 can handle. 

Have you checked the renderer? Is it using hardware acceleration?

I tried the OpenGL and one other (opengles2?)  Anyway, the OpenGL worked better.  

One big key was to figure out how to knock the resolution down to 720P, once I did that it worked much better (I had it hooked to a 4k monitor.)  I was under the impression that stella could choose an independent resolution in full screen mode, but I think I was wrong.

Maybe it comes down to optimizations that they have produced for the R77, vs somewhat generic linux code?

The macOS version uses metal, and works great, but again it is a much more powerful device than a pi.  I would love some kind of iPadOS fork, (replace the crappy code masters app, that was abandoned years ago) but that's probably a bridge to far.

Anyway, I will stop ranting and thank everyone for the help and developing stella, it's a good piece of software.

Edited by Capt Moore

14 minutes ago, Capt Moore said:

Maybe it comes down to optimizations that they have produced for the R77, vs somewhat generic linux code?

We optimized Stella a bit for R77, but that mostly affects ARM driven games. Much more important was adding SDL2 support using video acceleration.

On 7/20/2021 at 3:19 PM, TheHoboInYourRoom said:

On Fedora Workstation 34, x86_64:

I'm trying to install 6.5.3 with the RPM archive from the github.io site, but this is the response I get:

<snip>

Okay, I circumvented my issue by enabling the RPM Fusion free repository, which has up-to-date Stella, and the emulator installed and starts up just fine.

I still wonder, though, why the .rpm from the Stella website does not work out of the box

I'm working on an online playfield editor that uses the default NTSC colors from here:

https://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-tia-color-charts.html#ntsc_color_tool

zz_aa_2600_color_chart.png.662105497f0474788b8d1ca8b3ac3912.png

When I compile the code that the page generates and open the program in Stella using the default Stella colors, many of the colors are very different.

Are the Stella default colors closer to real Atari 2600 colors? In other words, do I need to change the colors in the editor to match the default Stella colors so it isn't so jarring when a user compares what is seen in the editor to what is seen in Stella?

Thanks.

There are no defined colors, especially not for NTSC. Each TV is different, each console setting is different. 

I suggest that you adjust your TV and console so that the colors look fine to you and then base your palette on the result. You can try to use the custom palette option to adjust Stella to your hardware.

6 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I suggest that you adjust your TV and console so that the colors look fine to you and then base your palette on the result. You can try to use the custom palette option to adjust Stella to your hardware.

Thanks, but this isn't about the colors that I want to personally use. I'm guessing that the average user of the online tool that I'm trying to finish isn't going to change the default Stella colors, so if Stella is going to keep those colors as the default (and not suddenly change them), it might be better for me to use the default Stella colors instead of the colors from my web site so the user won't yell "hey, that doesn't look like what I just drew/painted in the playfield editor!"

Dear friends, sorry if it was answered before, I would like to know how may I build my own regular Stella libretro core, cause it is no longer available for Linux arm64 machines. The last available is some 6.1pre version archived from before the hack. It is fine, but why not to use the latest.

I know, I may use regular Stella program, which I do and it works fine. Anyway, it would be fine to have libretro core too.

btw, I know how to build regular Stella app, but there is no libretro core included, afaik.

Thanks much!

• 2 weeks later...