InsaneMultitasker

Geneve OS development discussion

1 hour ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

With a Genmod Geneve, the byte-transfer routines are in effect for both the upgraded and non-upgraded SCSI cards.  I have never "confirmed" that this mode is still needed, though I have had no reason to think that Michael and Harald would have coded it that way if word-transfer mode was possible.  Do you think word transfers should be possible?

I think word transfers with Genmod Geneve are possible with Rev E boards (upgraded or not), upgraded F and G boards, and upgraded ASCSI.

• Like 1

An ANSI driver has been developed installing itself as a standalone XOP (>000D) into MDOS.  The MDOS Telnet command has been expanded to either use normal "ASCII/ADM3A" commands previously available in MDOS in the TTYOUT opcode, and now detects if the ANSI driver is installed when the user requests its use.  It will provide either ANSI 80 column text, or ANSI 80 column graphics for an individual's use.

Right now, there are 2 opcode calls to the XOP.  Opcode 0 sets text or graphics mode returning a successful setting with version number of the driver, and the other opcode passing a string to display with an absolute maximum length of 16K as long as it does not cross more than one memory page boundary.  There is a 32 byte memory reservation up around >FFC0 due to the two levels of XOP calls.

I spent one evening trying to interface the MDOS TYPE command to the ANSI driver, thus far without success.  The TYPE command has quite a bit going on with DV80 files, DF128 files, and the /M command complicating coding compounded by the issue it is using additional mapped memory pages I am trying to resolve.  I'm not sure the TYPE command will be compatible with ANSI usage as I think it is not working due to the combined use of additional mapped memory pages and using 2 levels of XOP's that is verboten in MDOS.  I will likely need to confirm with MAME and the debugger to see how everything is getting mapped to know if it is resolvable.

Credit for the ANSI code is from @InsaneMultitasker and Mike Maksimik.

If someone has an immediate use for the driver, let me know.

Beery

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

@dheshared this photo with me;  since the 8-bit ramdisk detects properly (in so far as the screen depicts) I will look at removing the minimum size requirement in the next release of GenCFG.  The Geneve OS is already set up to support this scenario. 

image.png

• Like 3

On 7/1/2021 at 2:16 PM, 9640News said:

I spent one evening trying to interface the MDOS TYPE command to the ANSI driver, thus far without success.  The TYPE command has quite a bit going on with DV80 files, DF128 files, and the /M command complicating coding compounded by the issue it is using additional mapped memory pages I am trying to resolve

The TYPE command also invokes the scrollback buffer, further complicating that routine. 

5 hours ago, dhe said:

The photo discussed

GenCFG now allows the user to format the ramdisk as a "floppy" partition if the total available sectors <=3200.  In some cases, GenCFG will also allow you to create a ramHD partition with as few as 800 sectors, though I don't see much value in this and may increase the threshold.   I intended to release the program for testing until I remembered that the floppy bitmap allocation routine takes some liberties based on the three fixed floppy partition sizes.  I'll poke at that tomorrow.  PM me if you are available for some pre-release testing as I do not want to reformat my ramdisks unless absolutely necessary. Which reminds me, I need to back up my files!   (I back them up to TIPI and to SCSI because the latter preserves the create/modify timestamps!)

For giggles I also added an (I)dentify option to allow the user to turn on a card from CRU 1000-1700.  This won't work for some cards like the rs232 because I'm only setting CRU bit 0 at the card base. 

image.thumb.png.5e883580f989aa4595054b87050b6f07.png

• Like 3

On 7/1/2021 at 3:16 PM, 9640News said:

An ANSI driver has been developed installing itself as a standalone XOP (>000D) into MDOS.  The MDOS Telnet command has been expanded to either use normal "ASCII/ADM3A" commands previously available in MDOS in the TTYOUT opcode, and now detects if the ANSI driver is installed when the user requests its use.  It will provide either ANSI 80 column text, or ANSI 80 column graphics for an individual's use.

Just a FYI for anyone following the thread.  I need to do some more testing as I encountered a versatility issue with the driver that it does not like certain workspace and buffer locations.  Thought I had it all worked out, but apparently not.

• Like 4

I see to be having problem with Geneve OS.

I copied the new GDM2K to floppy a: - where they do run.

I then tried to copy from A: H:( SCSI2. )

See g_copy.jpg

Copy said it went ok.

See g_dir.jpg

But, when I try to run the files, I get an Error.

See g_error.jpg

g_copy.jpg

g_dir.jpg

g_error.jpg

I think I have it all squared away.

The trick seems to be, make sure you have your SCSMAP, REMAP and ASSIGNS all perfect before you start doing DIR {something}.

• Like 1

I have posted source to GenCFG to the Horizon Ramdisk github repository.

Be advised that  @dhe and @9640News are helping me to track down what appears to be a problem with the detection routine that manifests only when a CorComp floppy controller is installed. 

• Like 3