IGNORED

New book- Atari arcade design

RJ

On 1/17/2021 at 8:43 PM, sramirez2008 said:

I just saw this post and placed an order. Thanks ?

Awesome, that was my reason for posting, to get the word out!

On 1/17/2021 at 11:57 PM, groundtrooper said:

My wife did good for my birthday on Thursday.

Get a chance to start it? Those 70s arcade games are attracting me more every day 

I got the paperback version a few weeks ago, and I'm about a 1/4 of the way through.  It's obviously laser focused on the design philosophy of the cabinets and artwork with some interesting quotes from such Atari design greats like Cheng, Takaichi, Querio etc., and input from many inside Atari such as Bushnell, Alcorn etc.  This is (so far) a great insight into the design of every aspect of an Atari cab from Pong up.  I'm glad I picked this up, and if you have any interest in Atari's arcade ancestry, this should be on your book shelf.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Zafinn Books said:

I got the paperback version a few weeks ago, and I'm about a 1/4 of the way through.  It's obviously laser focused on the design philosophy of the cabinets and artwork with some interesting quotes from such Atari design greats like Cheng, Takaichi, Querio etc., and input from many inside Atari such as Bushnell, Alcorn etc.  This is (so far) a great insight into the design of every aspect of an Atari cab from Pong up.  I'm glad I picked this up, and if you have any interest in Atari's arcade ancestry, this should be on your book shelf.

Still waiting on mine, but nice to know that your happy with it.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I am glad I picked it up but it is exceptionally dry, and this is coming from somebody who has read textbooks about design.  And I wish there were more images to break up the solid walls of text that comprise most of its pages.

That said, I learned a lot about the process of designing Atari cabinets and promotional materials.  I even gained some insight into the typical day of a designer there.

What I hope to see some day is a coffee table encyclopedia of Atari sell sheets and other promo materials.  I would also love a similar book that takes a comprehensive look at their cabinets: marquees, sides, control panels, everything.

• 2 months later...
On 2/25/2021 at 10:41 AM, Place Logo Here said:

I am glad I picked it up but it is exceptionally dry...

Strongly seconded!

After a long while I was able to pick it up again this past weekend & it put me to sleep ???

But I'm halfway thru, still hammering away at it.

• Haha 2